Fairplay to Lindelof: Starting to look the part now

UnitedForever123

Showing more leadership than Smalling! That takes the biscuit! You can shout and point as much as you like but you've got to sweep the shit off your own doorstep first.
IMO Smalling isn't United class and I think Jose will sign another CB in the summer, but Lindelof has just signed in the summer and is young enough to improve his game.

simplyared

Come on now, you come across as a WUM.

Anyway, I'd pick a vocal but slightly worse defender over one who's good individually but doesn't open his mouth any day of the week. It's hugely important but very difficult to pick up on as a spectator when you're just watching the game and don't see how a given defender behaves on the training pitch.
I'm sure all of our midfielders would do the same.
Who's saying Smalling doesn't opens his mouth? Of course he does he just doesn't make a meal of it that's all. In general Smalling gets a raw deal on the Caf imo but when someone say's Lindelöf shows more leadership than he does then it gets out of hand and I voice my opinion. I'm not trying to wind up anyone just having my say.

Preezy

I for one am really happy to see Victor getting a run in the team. It's a shame he's had to do it paired with Smalling instead of Bailly (as that's the future CB partnership for United in my opinion), but he's started to show his qualities and proving some of the more vocal doubters wrong. I do still think Jose should bring in another CB in the summer (or promote Tuanzebe/TFM) as we've got some defenders that just aren't up to the standard required, but it's great to see Victor doing well. Vidic started poorly too and look how good he ended up being!

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
Tbh I shouldn't have to clarify what I mean to someone who answers like you do. However I'll make an exception: What I'm saying is he's fishing for points. I don't blame him for that. Pointing and shouting isn't something I would take into consideration when judging a player's contribution or even when comparing him with others. Players such as Smalling, show their authority in other ways, through their body language and what they acheive on the pitch. Or to put it another way: THE WAY THEY PUT THEMSELVES ABOUT.
I have already stated the obvious, you are pathetic and you don't need to clarify this fact any further.

Alabaster Codify7

You should be part of the Scout team!

Haha, to you and the two dudes above who quoted me.....I don't actually dislike him. I didn't dislike Jonny Evans, I thought he was a decent, tidy defender when partnered with a proper beast/leader. Unfortunately, we don't have one right now. I don't dislike Victor, but I don't see anything exceptional in him. If Bailly was suddenly to turn into prime Vidic (could be done), and Victor's confidence and overall defensive ability improved, they'd be a good pairing.

Loublaze

ATLien
They're pathetic stats. Look at the sample size.

Winning 7 headers is a nothing stat. 7 headers. Jesus wept.
What a useless sample size tbh. Nothing’s statistical with those stats.
Well sorry fellas we don't have a larger sample size so we can only go by what we have. Those Lindelof numbers are far from impressive and I think that's one thing we can all agree on so we can't assume he's better than Blind in this respect as he hasn't shown it.

You are talking about Lindelof from the start of the season when he has looked shakey, my point is from the Chelsea game. By far he was the better of the 2 on Sunday, Lindelofs still a young defender and can improve qualities to his game. H

He showed more leadership than Smalling as he was the only one opening his mouth, telling players where to go on set pieces etc.
So you've never seen Smalling do this? He was doing the same things against Chelsea but I guess you didn't see it. I have the game recorded and i'll gladly show you instances where Smalling showed leadership. You're grasping at straws really to be even mentioning that as ALL our CBs do that in every game. I also don't see how Lindelof was 'much' better than Smalling against Chelsea. Smalling was the imposing figure at the back and even saved Lindelof after his erroneous back pass under pressure almost put Chelsea back in the game late in the second half. Statistically they were almost even.

A few key stats for both players against Chelsea:

Lindelof

Pass completion: 83%
Aerial duels: 50%
Interceptions: 3
Clearances: 6
Blocks:1

Smalling

Pass completion: 83%
Aerial duels: 50%
Interceptions: 5
Clearances: 2
Blocks: 1

Not much between them,

Think his performances answer this @Loublaze he like many other players needed time to adapt. Not saying he looks great as I have serious reservations about him but he’s doing better.
I like Lindelof but I don't think he has world class potential. He's very physically limited so if he doesn't work on that he'll just have to up his reading of the game, be the best interceptor, make the most blocks, etc. He's almost like Blind, only taller but not even as good a passer as Blind is. Jury is still out

Last edited:

Foxbatt

We will know very soon in the WC as both players are going. Against top opposition who plays better.

Foxbatt

Jones is injured mostly and Cahill is so so. Smalling will go to Russia for sure. Whether he plays regularly or not I do not know. If he is playing regularly for United, which he is doing now then he is the only English CB playing regularly for a top 4 club.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
playing him in the right position makes a huge difference! like to see him and Bailly given a run together

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Seeing how city were fit to play the ball around in defence yesterday, we really need this guy to come good. We'll not catch city for years if we're gonna be relying on Chris Smalling trying to play out from the back. It makes it impossible to play quick ball forward

Web of Bissaka

playing him in the right position makes a huge difference! like to see him and Bailly given a run together
CB? :drool: I like his performance at RB, not much difference for me, except at RB he showed his attacking talents more. Strange enough, the same can be said of Bailly.

Mourinho likes his CBs to have attacking skills. I would imagine once Bailly and Lindelof form a good CB partnership, twice or thrice per game, each take turns overlap.

Thrilling~

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I liked that when Chelsea had a corner kick for the last play of the game, it was Lindeloff who was organizing the defence and getting in everyone's face and telling them to use their head and not lose concentration. Good leadership qualities there...

Web of Bissaka

I liked that when Chelsea had a corner kick for the last play of the game, it was Lindeloff who was organizing the defence and getting in everyone's face and telling them to use their head and not lose concentration. Good leadership qualities there...
His trait related with that one is also good rated when he was with Sweden and Benfica.

I like that he seems to be the only one that is still active defending vocally that final corner, while many of our players switches off already, relaxing not in a hurry dropping back as if we've won it already.

Nickosaur

Jones is injured mostly and Cahill is so so. Smalling will go to Russia for sure. Whether he plays regularly or not I do not know. If he is playing regularly for United, which he is doing now then he is the only English CB playing regularly for a top 4 club.
Did you miss the quotes from Southgate saying he doesn't think Smalling is good enough on the ball to be selected? Hasn't been involved in any of Southgate's squads so far

Bwuk

Unless there are injuries I don’t see Southgate picking Smalling.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I don't think Smalling will go. Jones will be there along with Cahill and Stones. The 4th will probably be Mcguire. Would have been Keane but he hasn't done himself any favours this year. The question will be which of Cahill, Jones and Stones will start. Personally, I would leave Cahill out but I think he will get the nod out of experience...

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He's unlucky with the deflection but he and Smalling really give me very little confidence. Rojo and Jones /Bailly would be my picks I think, fitness aside.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Keep it to the match day thread guys.

Kapardin

He's unlucky with the deflection but he and Smalling really give me very little confidence. Rojo and Jones /Bailly would be my picks I think, fitness aside.
Ever since him and Smalling became a thing, we have struggled to keep a clean sheet. Getting sick of this partnership.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Keep it to the match day thread guys.
This. If you've got something to say about a specific thing a player has done while a match is on, put in the match thread please.

Return of the Manc

His performances have been extremely overrated- hardly any sign of defensive stability or clean sheets. His ball playing ability is surely a farce isnt it?

Acole9

Outstanding
He defends like a Championship defender, hoofs the ball into the fabled row z nearly every time. I think whoever called him the iceman was taking the mick, the only time he ever looks comfortable on the ball is when the opposition are standing 30 to 40 yards away from him.

Bobski

5th choice with everyone fit for me. Bailly Jones Smalling Rojo Lindelof.

Honestly I might even take Blind ahead of him at CB if Mourinho saw him as an option, actually great on the ball unlike Lindelof who is weirdly hyped in that area.

Lentwood

Rubbish yesterday. This is why I have serious concerns because when we play teams who want to zip it around on the deck he is OK but he has real technical flaws dealing with aerial balls. Since 15 out of our 19 opponents in the PL will use that tactic regularly it’s a real problem!

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Was never in favour of this hiring, even though Lindelof played quite well at Benfica, for my joy. But Benfica dominates most of the games and it fitted his strenghts, which were ball control and anticipation.

José Mourinho would have been much better served with Felipe from FC Porto, who despite sometimes being a violent player, is clearly the best center back in the portuguese league.

But even Felipe wouldn't have the United quality. For the money united spend on Lindelof, they could had hired Clément Lenglet, Johnathan Tah, Upamecano or Mattia Caldara.

Mr PG

Was never in favour of this hiring, even though Lindelof played quite well at Benfica, for my joy. But Benfica dominates most of the games and it fitted his strenghts, which were ball control and anticipation.

José Mourinho would have been much better served with Felipe from FC Porto, who despite sometimes being a violent player, is clearly the best center back in the portuguese league.

But even Felipe wouldn't have the United quality. For the money united spend on Lindelof, they could had hired Clément Lenglet, Johnathan Tah, Upamecano or Mattia Caldara.
Those bitching would have shipped out Patrice and vidic in the first season...patience guys.

JK-27

I can't say he looks the part. He still looks nervous (as does Smalling) and physically has trouble with tall, strong strikers. I can't see him being a first choice when Bailly or Jones are fit. Hell, I'd even take Rojo over Lindelof at present.

James Peril

The deflection is unlucky and not something we would have talked about if it had gone outside the posts. The defending for the second goal is gash though, he should have moved closer to van Aanholt and intercepted his run. Surely he is thinking about spaces and what can happen in the middle, but you can’t let the player free on goal - that’s a double mistake right there. Go for the player and make him pass or look for alternatives, which might have been cleared by another defender or de Gea, don’t let him take the shot clean on goal!

Schoolboy defending, he looks very stressed every game and often just wacks the ball out of play even though not under extreme pressure.