Falklands

Robbo

see the argies are beginning to get restless again re these " British" islands...this time the UK wont be in a position to act...its gathering momentum and having just returned from Argentina, the british press are missing the strength of feeling there....

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
Argentina is always restless, that doesn't make a change.

This argument that I've been hearing a lot recently that we're in no position to act, on the contrary we are in a very strong position. On the diplomatic front the United States has always been wary whilst the likes of Russia, China and France have their own issues regarding contested soil so it is not in their interests at all to become outspoken.

On the military front the Falklands have never been stronger whilst Argentina has never been weaker. There is no need for aircraft carriers when the military has a presence down there and the RAF has an airbase.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Britain should hand control to Argentina.

Britain has no justifiable right to them.

Eyepopper

like NI then where loyalists want to remain under British control?

Sucks for them that there are no oil or gas fields there I guess.

Zen86

Well, that's slightly more complicated isn't it. We want to keep the falklands and the falklands want us to keep them, everyone's happy and the Argies can sod off

WeasteDevil

The people that live there have the right to self determination through democratic process. If they don't want to be part of Argentina, then they will not be. It's the same with Gibraltar. I don't see very much of some of you lot however calling for Ceuta, Melilla, Las Islas Chafarinas, etc. to be returned to Morocco or the Canary Islands to be returned to Portugal, etc.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
Britain should hand control to Argentina.

Britain has no justifiable right to them.
Britain has more of a right to Falklands than any other country, or at the very least has just as much of a right to them as Argentina or anyone else before taking into consideration status quo. No sensible argument can be put forward to justify Argentina's position. The Islands have been British sovereign territory for nearly 200 years, and most importantly, the wishes of the Falkland Islanders are for it to stay that way. Their determination to remain a British territory cements Britain's claim. It's incredible that the issue is still contentious.

I find the idea, often put forward in South America, that the wishes of the islanders should not be recognised because they are not an 'indigenous' population ludicrous, not to mention offensive to those who live there. And stupid, because after all, by that principle, the right of self-determination of the Argentinian people to be independent of Spain should not have been recognised.

Eyepopper

Personnally I'd say if there was no oil there then the British would give a shit about what the population there wants. Call me' a cynic.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
I think its geographical location is more important than any oil reserves that may surround the islands. The Terrirory's position gives the UK a justifiable claim (and enables that claim to be defended) to a chunk of Antarctica and its untouched natural resources, something that could become an important issue down the line.

But more importantly than that, it's a political issue of national pride in Britain, just as it is in Argentina. The idea of a British government giving the Islands up, after the number of soldiers who were killed defending it, is unthinkable.

Eyepopper

The fact that people died in the first place over it should be a source of great shame for both countries IMO.

Kaos

I honestly hope nothing happens, otherwise we can kiss goodbye to the chances of Pastore or Aguero coming here :(

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
Personnally I'd say if there was no oil there then the British would give a shit about what the population there wants. Call me' a cynic.
Oil is a new innovation down there, the prospects of deep ocean drilling at the time of the Argentine invasion in 1982 was unthinkable.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
The Americans would be foolish to other anything but their full support in the event of a crisis, Obama has been hit hard at home over his foreign policy with the killing of Bin Laden offering a restbite. Though if his administration failed to support Britain over a claim to its sovereign territory then he would be absolutely roasted by Republicans moving into the next election cycle, despite the Tea Party being isolationist they would love the opportunity to paint Obama as being anti their biggest western ally.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
The people that live there have the right to self determination through democratic process. If they don't want to be part of Argentina, then they will not be. It's the same with Gibraltar. I don't see very much of some of you lot however calling for Ceuta, Melilla, Las Islas Chafarinas, etc. to be returned to Morocco or the Canary Islands to be returned to Portugal, etc.

pretty much sums up my thoughts on this.

mjs020294

maybe something to do with the oil that have been found.

BBC News - Drilling for oil begins off the Falkland Islands
The exploration determined there was insufficient accessible oil to make it viable.

The Falklanders want to remain British , end-of. The Islands are fairly well protected these days and Argentina doesn't have the capability to take them without a lot of bloodshed. A major military airfield and several thousand soldiers will be a lot harder to over come a handful of Marines.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Here we go!

Armchair warriors. Give up being jingoistic.

mjs020294

keep them, the place is a shithole, the girls are ugly and they cost a bundle
:lol:

Plus the oil is hard to get to. Seriously, let the Islands remain British and if oil is ever pumped work out a profit share between the two countries. Its really not worth a conflict and all that would cost both countries in terms of money and human life.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
:lol:

Plus the oil is hard to get to. Seriously, let the Islands remain British and if oil is ever pumped work out a profit share between the two countries. Its really not worth a conflict and all that would cost both countries in terms of money and human life.
if the oil gives profits, then just start talks about sharing, that's all the argie goverment needs to save face

Widnes

The fact that people died in the first place over it should be a source of great shame for both countries IMO.
Well no offence but your opinion is pathetic, what possible shame could there be for Britain?? the only thing that could have caused shame to the British people is if we allowed a country like Argentina to invade the falklands and not take action.

Tibs

The exploration determined there was insufficient accessible oil to make it viable.

The Falklanders want to remain British , end-of. The Islands are fairly well protected these days and Argentina doesn't have the capability to take them without a lot of bloodshed. A major military airfield and several thousand soldiers will be a lot harder to over come a handful of Marines.
Rockhopper found oil, and there will be more found no doubt. It will be pumped out

Excal

The Americans would be foolish to other anything but their full support in the event of a crisis, Obama has been hit hard at home over his foreign policy with the killing of Bin Laden offering a restbite. Though if his administration failed to support Britain over a claim to its sovereign territory then he would be absolutely roasted by Republicans moving into the next election cycle, despite the Tea Party being isolationist they would love the opportunity to paint Obama as being anti their biggest western ally.
The Republican party will scream that whatever Obama does or doesn't do was the wrong decision. It won't matter, because even by America's high standards for insularity, we really genuinely could not give any less of a feck about the Falklands.

TheReligion

Abusive

Come on Popper, you're much brighter than this. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and call WUM.

Eyepopper

Well no offence but your opinion is pathetic, what possible shame could there be for Britain?? the only thing that could have caused shame to the British people is if we allowed a country like Argentina to invade the falklands and not take action.
I can't help humming the theme tune to the Great Escape in my head when I read this.

mjs020294

Rockhopper found oil, and there will be more found no doubt. It will be pumped out

Finding and exacting for a profit are two very different things. Reports I read said oil would have to hit $300 a barrel before it was worth even thinking about drilling there.

Zen86

Finding and exacting for a profit are two very different things. Reports I read said oil would have to hit $300 a barrel before it was worth even thinking about drilling there.
Technology is always improving, the natural gas deposits that are extracted these days were unthinkable not long ago. It'll be extracted sooner or later.