Fantasy Premier League 18/19

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Nah it is the case imo - basically if you’ve made a judgement to spend 13m on the most expensive player in the game, then logically you’d need to captain him in the easiest fixture in the season (home to Fulham who are conceding by the bucket).

Put another way if you decide not to Captain Salah as you think he’ll only get 6 points or so vs Fulham at home, then why on earth have you paid 13m for him. If you view him as that type of player then he’s never going to justify his points to cost.

That’s not to say he won’t blank, could definitely happen as we saw with Kane earlier on in the season, but the only reason anyone should have Salah is because they think he’ll get a 10+ score vs Fulham in which case they’ll captain him.
But I have him because I had 13m left with a team I'm happy with and still wanted Liverpool coverage. I could've easily not captained him because they've been playing crap, but still have him in in case they do do well. The only way your point holds true is if you've had to struggle to get him in, but even then it makes much more sense to captain who you think is in form and will do well that week, not who's the most expensive.
I captained him because I think Liverpool will want to prove a point. I'd have considered captaining Mane for the same reason.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Thanks guys. I took a hit and brought in Salah and has triple captained him. Knowing my luck , he wouldn't even play today :nervous:

Patchbeard

Ffs, play a fiver on each GW with a bunch of mates, brought in Salah as only one other guy has him and I have a stronger squad elsewhere, but he's gone and triple captained him :wenger:

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Oh noes, I've just remembered I tinkered drunk last night and captained Vardy. I've been sat here all morning but forgot all about it. Obviously I shall claim a stroke of genius if it comes off nonetheless.

podurban2

Oh noes, I've just remembered I tinkered drunk last night and captained Vardy. I've been sat here all morning but forgot all about it. Obviously I shall claim a stroke of genius if it comes off nonetheless.
:lol::lol::lol:

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I'm the only person to captain Salah in one of my 2 money mini leagues. *licks lips*

I'm already 117 points ahead in the other. They'll probably ban me next season.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
But I have him because I had 13m left with a team I'm happy with and still wanted Liverpool coverage. I could've easily not captained him because they've been playing crap, but still have him in in case they do do well. The only way your point holds true is if you've had to struggle to get him in, but even then it makes much more sense to captain who you think is in form and will do well that week, not who's the most expensive.
Fantasy football is a game of maximising points based on limited resources. That’s the point of the game - players can’t afford Mendy, Robertson, Alonso, Hazard, Salah, Mane, Aguero and Aubameyang.

My point does indeed revolve around getting value for money, as that’s the point of the game. If someone thinks Salah will only get 6 points against Fulham at home then they shouldn’t be buying him, as by their own admission he isn’t value for money. They may as well buy a player they do expect to perform to their value, which could be a Hazard or an Aguero for example.

Neo_Mufc

I'm starting to lean towards a cheap frontline.

I have
Jiminez - who IMO should have more points considering the amount of chances he has had, but he went through a phase of picking up 5 points in a few games and racked up a great score last week. I got him for 5.5m which I feel is a bargain.

Arnie - No explanation, he's W.Hams main man, they had an awful start and with the run of games they now have he should be looking to rack up a few goals. done great for me last week.

Vardy(9.0/Midpriced) - He is my premium striker, with the run Leicester now have I expect him to do the same as Arnie but I am slightly worried considering he does not have Mahrez to provide him service and Maddison is out. With the owner passing away this could have a knock on effect on the whole team. I'm going to monitor him and if not go for Wilson.

In Midfield I have Salah, Hazard, Richarlison, Fraser & Stephens.

Martial will be coming in very soon but I really want Sterling in there as well. If so I may have to sacrifice, Vardy but I will monitor that.

Ederson is my stick and forget keeper.

I have all premium defenders but I'm tempted to go cheaper to fit Sterling in. Lets see.

Patchbeard

I'm starting to lean towards a cheap frontline.

I have
Jiminez - who IMO should have more points considering the amount of chances he has had, but he went through a phase of picking up 5 points in a few games and racked up a great score last week. I got him for 5.5m which I feel is a bargain.

Arnie - No explanation, he's W.Hams main man, they had an awful start and with the run of games they now have he should be looking to rack up a few goals. done great for me last week.

Vardy(9.0/Midpriced) - He is my premium striker, with the run Leicester now have I expect him to do the same as Arnie but I am slightly worried considering he does not have Mahrez to provide him service and Maddison is out. With the owner passing away this could have a knock on effect on the whole team. I'm going to monitor him and if not go for Wilson.

In Midfield I have Salah, Hazard, Richarlison, Fraser & Stephens.

Martial will be coming in very soon but I really want Sterling in there as well. If so I may have to sacrifice, Vardy but I will monitor that.

Ederson is my stick and forget keeper.

I have all premium defenders but I'm tempted to go cheaper to fit Sterling in. Lets see.
Think you need least one of the top forwards.
I have the same midfield as you (with a different 4.5 bench player) plus 3 pricey defenders (Alonso, Robertson, Trippier) but also have Aguero up top. Do wish I'd brought in Arnautovic rather than Murray a couple of weeks ago though.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Fantasy football is a game of maximising points based on limited resources. That’s the point of the game - players can’t afford Mendy, Robertson, Alonso, Hazard, Salah, Mane, Aguero and Aubameyang.

My point does indeed revolve around getting value for money, as that’s the point of the game. If someone thinks Salah will only get 6 points against Fulham at home then they shouldn’t be buying him, as by their own admission he isn’t value for money. They may as well buy a player they do expect to perform to their value, which could be a Hazard or an Aguero for example.

If it comes at no expense to me, as in there's no negative consequence to having Salah over Mane, then what you say about having to captain him makes no sense. You wouldn't say it about Mane, and seeing as it's not real money, nor has it negatively effected my team elsewhere, what you're saying isn't true. I can have Salah but captain Hazard, which I very nearly did. Salah might get 10 points but Hazard 15. In that case I'd win on both accounts and it makes sense to have had him but not captain him.
The only reason I didn't do that is because I'm a bit unsure on Hazard right now and Liverpool have something to prove. How much they cost has no factor.

For what it's worth, I'm going to change Salah to Sterling. Then I'll change Pereyra to Martial probably, which is only an upgrade now he's playing and still a risky one. Otherwise it's all sideways moves available with the Salah leftovers.

Neo_Mufc

Think you need least one of the top forwards.
I have the same midfield as you (with a different 4.5 bench player) plus 3 pricey defenders (Alonso, Robertson, Trippier) but also have Aguero up top. Do wish I'd brought in Arnautovic rather than Murray a couple of weeks ago though.
I just don't like any of them at the moment, I want to invest in midfield where that extra point per goal and for a CS makes a big difference. BPS is all over the place for teams like City. Aguero is in everyones team but he doesn't get a full 90mins neither does he always get 3bps.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
If it comes at no expense to me, as in there's no negative consequence to having Salah over Mane, then what you say about having to captain him makes no sense.
What you’re saying here is that there is no possible upgrades the player could make to the team elsewhere if they had more money - it’s effectively a flawless team, which allows them to waste 13m on a player that they don’t think justifies his price.

That’s obviously nonsense. As I mentioned before, the whole point of FPL is to maximise points based on a limited budget. Salah is the most expensive player in the game. If you don’t think he’s going to score well then it’s illogical to spend the money on him.

Anyway doesn’t really matter, just thought I’d raise it as it’s a helpful to understand FPL in that way. Wasn’t mean as a critique etc. :)

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
What you’re saying here is that there is no possible upgrades the player could make to the team elsewhere if they had more money - it’s effectively a flawless team, which allows then to waste 13m on a player that they don’t think justifies his price.

That’s obviously nonsense. As I mentioned before, the whole point of FPL is to maximise points based on a limited budget. Salah is the most expensive player in the game. If you don’t think he’s going to score well then it’s illogical to spend the money on him.

Anyway doesn’t really matter, just thought I’d raise it as it’s a helpful to understand FPL in that way. Wasn’t mean as a critique etc. :)
The only possible upgrade from cheap/mid range to premium would be Patricio to Ederson, but I'm happy with Patricio. Other than that, yea, I was completely happy with my team.

Mendy Robertson Alonso
Hazard Pereyra (decent points recently) Richarlison (quality) Salah
Aguero Wilson Murray (latter two both bringing good points in recently)

Full playing bench and 0.7 in the bank.

The money left over from Salah if I have Mane or Sterling doesn't really allow upgrades anywhere else. There's players that cost more but are sideways points-wise. Lacazette is the most expensive I could afford with Mane, but his point returns aren't that great.

Because of this the changes I make will follow form rather than upgrading. I do think Salah will score well over the season but not always game to game because him and Liverpool aren't in form. As it happened I had the spare cash so got him for my Liverpool cover and got 15 points when I did (promptly followed by a Mane haul the week after making it unnecessary in hindsight, but at no real cost to me other than a free transfer).
Anyway it's the Sterling show at the moment so time for him, I've gone off Murray, and I fancy a bit of Martial, so big changes ahead!

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Very possible that this is going to be an absolute disaster of a GW for many. I've got 5pts from 4 players so far. 7 playing tomorrow with Salah captain.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Switching Vardy for Ings and taking a hit has been a bad decision. Ings scored against man city and got an assist today. Vardy failed to rack up more than 2 points against Cardiff and Burnley :lol:

podurban2

Fraser and Felipe Anderson giving me some points. Not many are doing well... Tomorrow will be interesting! I have Hazard captain.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Looking forward to seeing the top scoring team tonight. There'll be some lunatic who has triple-captained Rondon, guaranteed.

klsv

Overall average is at 8,5 points now, with bonus points, so no need to worry yet.

Had a transfer masterclass, shipped out Hart as he seemed hopeless with Burnley's defense also looking shit and he goes on to have a clean sheet :lol:

Neo_Mufc

Jesus Vardy what is wrong with you. I've had him for 2 weeks now and he's got me 3 points wtf.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
How many transfer are you allowed to hold onto btw? Is it 2.
Yep two is the most you can have, if you don’t use one then you won’t get another next week so effectively lose it.

Neo_Mufc

Yep two is the most you can have, if you don’t use one then you won’t get another next week so effectively lose it.
Cheers, I think I might take a hit, I want Anderson, Martial Sterling and Wilson, Salah will go if he does nout tomorrow.

klsv

Jesus Vardy what is wrong with you. I've had him for 2 weeks now and he's got me 3 points wtf.
Yeah I've had either Ricardo Pereira and Maddison from Leicester for the most part of the season with everyone going on a bout how good their fixtures are and how I need to be patient. Got rid of both of them now, no more patience. Now see them put five past Brighton the next GW.

Neo_Mufc

Yeah I've had either Ricardo Pereira and Maddison from Leicester for the most part of the season with everyone going on a bout how good their fixtures are and how I need to be patient. Got rid of both of them now, no more patience. Now see them put five past Brighton the next GW.
I feel like the recent troubles at the club has made it tough for the team. They flew out to Thailand recently so that would have taken it's toll. Mentally maybe the players are exhausted? I don't know but will all that's been going on it might be wise to leave some of their players out for a bit. I'm going to maybe give Vardy another week or 2.