Fantasy Premier League 18/19

Ady87

Currently sat on this draft:

DDG
Sanchez Otamendi Douglas
Sane Mkhi Willian Lingard
Auba Firmino Arnie

Subs: Ryan Cedric Zanka Romeu

Sanchez because Vertonghen/Trippier might not get immediate game time as went the distance in the WC.

Liverpool have a decent start so wondering if I should pick up Allison for DDG and bump Douglas to Bailly if he's going to be a starter for United coverage as we should also get a few early cleanies.

Also looking at Auba/Arnie vs Laczette/Morata - Morata could come back in favour and get one a week. Arnie can be inconsistent.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
That said, according to Wolves fans the Moutinho signing might push Saiss to CB and Bennett would drop to the bench so best just to keep an eye on pre-season.
Balls. This is why I have to always play WC early, because I have no idea who the promoted teams' defenders are.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Wankers. Pay up front in ours or you don't get the league code. Can't be having that.
We did it that way the season before. This time before the season there was a vote to keep it the same way with a wording that a vote would make it a binding commitment to the league. I'm going to push this further with some passive agressiveness.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
first go for this season, expect a few changes, might swap mickyt but think he'll get plenty of game time at the start of the season

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Cannot decide between Aguero and Auba.
Seems criminal not to have a City player but most others are rotation risks (as is Aguero, but he'll likely still get good returns).
This could be Auba's season though. It looks like he's all set for a blinder. That said, it's Arsenal and they have a new manager.

SteveTheRed

Thoughts?

Fabianski

Walker
Bellerín
Cédric
Azpilicueta

De Bruyne
Richarlison
Fàbregas
Mané

Aubameyang
Agüero

Bench

Speroni
Yedlin
Neves
Kamara

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Cannot decide between Aguero and Auba.
Seems criminal not to have a City player but most others are rotation risks (as is Aguero, but he'll likely still get good returns).
This could be Auba's season though. It looks like he's all set for a blinder. That said, it's Arsenal and they have a new manager.
Yeah same. Trying to shoe horn them both in with Salah leaves the rest of my midfield pretty shambolic.

Just to worry you even more about no City players, their fixtures after Arsenal are..

(H) v Huddersfield
(A) v Wolves
(H) v Newcastle
(H) v Fulham
(A) v Cardiff
(H) v Brighton

No City players for those fixtures looks like FPL suicide to me.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yeah same. Trying to shoe horn them both in with Salah leaves the rest of my midfield pretty shambolic.

Just to worry you even more about no City players, their fixtures after Arsenal are..

(H) v Huddersfield
(A) v Wolves
(H) v Newcastle
(H) v Fulham
(A) v Cardiff
(H) v Brighton

No City players for those fixtures looks like FPL suicide to me.
Christ. Bailly to a City defender needs to happen after the first week I think.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Thoughts?

Fabianski

Walker
Bellerín
Cédric
Azpilicueta

De Bruyne
Richarlison
Fàbregas
Mané

Aubameyang
Agüero

Bench

Speroni
Yedlin
Neves
Kamara
Really good Salah-less team as long as Fabregas is a starter for Chelsea. I'd be worried about Walker and De Bruyne missing the first game or 2 personally but should know more after the charity shield is played.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
FFS apparently Douglas is being sold to Leeds. Had high hopes for a bargain going off what people had said.
Why would you leave having made it to the Prem?

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
FFS apparently Douglas is being sold to Leeds. Had high hopes for a bargain going off what people had said.
Haha. Just came here to post that. I don't think it's a case of him wanting to leave but more a case of the manager not thinking he's good enough.

SteveTheRed

Really good Salah-less team as long as Fabregas is a starter for Chelsea. I'd be worried about Walker and De Bruyne missing the first game or 2 personally but should know more after the charity shield is played.
Yes was thinking of Swapping Walker for maybe Mendy or Baines. De Bruyne would be a long term player, I had him in last year early in the season and knee jerked him out...then he turned it on!

Reynoldo

Yeah he did, took a lot of the set pieces too but apparently he wasn't the quickest and Wolves fans considered him a weak link defensively (been reading their forums ;) )
You have been reading wolves forums ahead of picking your FF team??? Bravo sir...I admire your dedication :)

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
I keep switching because I can’t settle on a side I’m totally happy with.

Ederson/Pickford
Robertson Bailly Mee / Daniels Wan-B
Sigurdsson Eriksen Mane Sessegnon / Neves
Aguero Firmino Wilson

I’ve toyed with swapping Sigurdsson and Sessegnon for Richarlison and Martial amongst many, many others. Also have a Salah + 10 option.

This game, man :lol:

Frank Grimes

I picked a squad in 30 minutes when the game was launched but don't see much point in chopping and changing for 6 weeks. I will start tinkering with it in August when more certainty on starting players is available.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
i think it's suicide to not pick Salah from week 1, so many managers have him that you could be left behind if he gets off to a flyer, I really don't want him as I'm not sure he'll replicate last seasons form but with near 45% of players selecting him you've got to be brave to not too.

ROFLUTION

i think it's suicide to not pick Salah from week 1, so many managers have him that you could be left behind if he gets off to a flyer, I really don't want him as I'm not sure he'll replicate last seasons form but with near 45% of players selecting him you've got to be brave to not too.
Ill get him too, but the equation is not that simple I think. for 4.5 less you could get Mane and get someone else to provide the points from Salah.. Aguero, Kane, etc..

SteveTheRed

It's not, I know it seems like that and I would have thought the same...but Salah had one of the greatest seasons of any Premier League players last year, and some guy who was like top 5 in FPL didn't have him all season.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Depends how you distribute the money saved not having him.

E.G. Salah (13), Lingard (7) & Wood (6.5) = 26.5 vs. Mane (9.5), KDB (10) & Arnautovic (7) = 26.5

Option 2 looks stronger without Salah.

Cantonaaa!

The Salah thing..
It could be equally disastrous to pick Salah if he doesn't perform from the go. 13m tied up in nothing.
Either way, it's fine to pick him and fine not to pick him.
45% ownership just means that most people go without Salah.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's an awkward first week, as surely anyone who got to the semis of the world cup is automatically ruled out for the first game or 2. Even those who have been at the world cup and gone out early may not be up to speed straight away.

I dare say a lot of wildcards will be sprung early doors. Although in fairness I've usually used mine in the first 3-4 weeks, as it can very quickly get you back on song.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Depends how you distribute the money saved not having him.

E.G. Salah (13), Lingard (7) & Wood (6.5) = 26.5 vs. Mane (9.5), KDB (10) & Arnautovic (7) = 26.5

Option 2 looks stronger without Salah.
You’re ignoring the captaincy factor - often the most overlooked aspect when doing comparisons such as this. Example

Salah captain 15 points (two goals, bonus), Lingard 6 (assist), wood 4 (assist) = 25 points for players = 40 points with captaincy

Mane 10 points (goal, bonus), De Bruyne (two assist, bonus) 10, Arnie 7 (goal, bonus) = 27 points for players = 37 points for captaincy

Crude example but point is despite option two having more high scoring players (and a higher points total pre-captaincy being factored in) the team with Salah scores more overall because you’re doubling his points. Ultimately it depends on how you value Salah, but if you expect him to have a year anywhere close to last season then he’s a fantastic option due to the captaincy factor.

Question - who would you captain in the scenario you just gave, De Bruyne, Mane or Arnautovic? All three are far worse captaincy options and all three could easily blank, De Bruyne is notoriously inconsistent across a season. Mane is a good bet but if Liverpool spank a team 5-0 it’s likely Salah would get the bigger haul.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
You’re ignoring the captaincy factor - often the most overlooked aspect when doing comparisons such as this. Example

Salah captain 15 points (two goals, bonus), Lingard 6 (assist), wood 4 (assist) = 25 points for players = 40 points with captaincy

Mane 10 points (goal, bonus), De Bruyne (two assist, bonus) 10, Arnie 7 (goal, bonus) = 27 points for players = 37 points for captaincy

Crude example but point is despite option two having more high scoring players (and a higher points total pre-captaincy being factored in) the team with Salah scores more overall because you’re doubling his points. Ultimately it depends on how you value Salah, but if you expect him to have a year anywhere close to last season then he’s a fantastic option due to the captaincy factor.

Question - who would you captain in the scenario you just gave, De Bruyne, Mane or Arnautovic? All three are far worse captaincy options and all three could easily blank, De Bruyne is notoriously inconsistent across a season. Mane is a good bet but if Liverpool spank a team 5-0 it’s likely Salah would get the bigger haul.
Good points. But doubling Salah points being a dramatic difference maker only works if he has a similar season to last year, which would probably take him to the same conversation as CR7 and Messi. I bet I'm wrong but I can't see it happening like that again.

As for captain, I always look at the fixtures then select one.

When In Rome

Supports
Neutral
Unbelievable. I know they're getting a left back on loan from Atletico Madrid but I was looking forward to seeing Douglas and Doherty in the Prem, I had considered Douglas in my team's backline.

When In Rome

Supports
Neutral
Thanks to all those who have joined my Twitter Premier League and thanks to Red Cafe for helping out - I know there are some top managers out there so looking forward to a competitive league again.

TWITTER PREMIER LEAGUE
Code: 272121-56412

Also hope to fare better in RedCafe league this time and I won't be the only one saying that! :lol:

Best of luck everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

When In Rome

Supports
Neutral
Yeah of course that's the good thing. For the record, he's in my team for now. That means no Kane, but not to worried as he played a lot of games in the WC.
Yes, Kane is a notorious slow starter. I'm going with Salah too and as captain for the foreseeable. I have managed to include Auba in the frontline, this really could be a great season for him.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Yes, Kane is a notorious slow starter. I'm going with Salah too and as captain for the foreseeable. I have managed to include Auba in the frontline, this really could be a great season for him.
Maybe worth waiting a couple of weeks for Auba considering his first two games are against City and Chelsea?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The Salah thing..
It could be equally disastrous to pick Salah if he doesn't perform from the go. 13m tied up in nothing.
Either way, it's fine to pick him and fine not to pick him.
45% ownership just means that most people go without Salah.
Of course it's a game of gambles, but you're better off with than without imo.

Maybe worth waiting a couple of weeks for Auba considering his first two games are against City and Chelsea?
Think he has a chance of scoring against both personally, but I'm starting with Aguero and probably switching to Auba. Only issue with that is if his price goes up.

Does anyone know how quickly they start moving? Is it based on how many bring the player in once the season has kicked off?