FAO Tottenham Hotspur | Fighting Cock Goes Into Meltdown | Glast...gone

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Pretty sure that the board decides which competitions have priority, and this wasn't one of them.
They only play in 3 competitions.. 2 now. For a club that doesn't even know what a trophy looks like anymore they should strive to win the league cup.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
It never made sense. League Cup, FA Cup, Europa League were all plausible trophy wins in previous years. League and Champions League were always going to be a hail mary, once in a lifetime upset. If its the board driving the disinterest in these competitions then they should be replaced as a prime source of the 'lads its spurs' banter and weakness at the club.
It seems that they are not caring by looking at how many players they rested.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
They only play in 3 competitions.. 2 now. For a club that doesn't even know what a trophy looks like anymore they should strive to win the league cup.
Agree on that, but I guess that in the boards head they probably want to fight for top 4 and there's that classic cliché that having less competitions is a good thing (which have been proven wrong, since in winning teams keeping a high level of ambition and demanding proves to be the key for building a competitive mindset).

Chief123

Spurs fans have finally got there club back. One which doesn’t win trophies.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
It shouldn't really be that much of a surprise, Fulham are a decent outfit.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Not as much a shock as everyone is making out. He fielded a weakened team against a decent Fulham team away from home.

I think he will learn a lot about their second string squad with that result.

Bear in mind he done the same with Celtic and they had some terrible results at the start of his tenure. He was not happy with his back up players and he strengthened accordingly.

The big issue at Spurs is whether Levy will back him.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
League will be priority for them and rightly so. Getting back to Europe and hopefully CL is critical for their financials and their ability to sign players and develop the team going forward.

League Cup doesn’t hold much value and unless you have a very deep squad like City, a top half team will not prioritize it over Premier League. To be fair even bottom half teams tend to prioritize PL survival over it. It’s basically become a competition to test your backup players for most of PL teams.

RuudTom83

Spurs have Burnley on Saturday. Hard to argue they couldn't have played their strongest eleven last night.

But the Spurs job is one of the easiest in the league...next to zero expectation...yeah they lost and will get nowhere near winning anything again this year.

But at least Postecoglou does a good interview so everyone is happy.

Judas

Open to offers
I think it's pathetic they're not going out to try and win the league cup with the amount of games they'll most likely be playing this season, they're a weird club.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Just watching the highlights now....was there genuinely no serious injury in the second half?

Even with the draconian crackdown on timewasting no one can tell me that added up to 12 minutes.

Spurs made a triple sub on 80 minutes and given they were losing and time was running out I bet they all sprinted off the pitch so no way you should just add 90 seconds on.

Sheffield United only actually made 3 subs themselves and one came on at the same time as the triple Spurs sub.

Before someone points out the Villa game had 9 minutes added on I was there today and Palace had a defender down for two minutes and then Sam Johnstone went down for three minutes with apparent cramp. And then in injury time the VAR penalty call took over three minutes to check so that's why it went 100 +.

Would love to see the whole second half if it's available online to get a clear idea of how bad the timewasting was. Annoying as that would've been the perfect result to puncture the Angeball phenomenon that is developing.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Just watching the highlights now....was there genuinely no serious injury in the second half?

Even with the draconian crackdown on timewasting no one can tell me that added up to 12 minutes.

Spurs made a triple sub on 80 minutes and given they were losing and time was running out I bet they all sprinted off the pitch so no way you should just add 90 seconds on.

Sheffield United only actually made 3 subs themselves and one came on at the same time as the triple Spurs sub.

Before someone points out the Villa game had 9 minutes added on I was there today and Palace had a defender down for two minutes and then Sam Johnstone went down for three minutes with apparent cramp. And then in injury time the VAR penalty call took over three minutes to check so that's why it went 100 +.

Would love to see the whole second half if it's available online to get a clear idea of how bad the timewasting was. Annoying as that would've been the perfect result to puncture the Angeball phenomenon that is developing.
Definitely no apparent cramp from the Sheffield United players yesterday.....

Each episode seemed to last at least 30 seconds.

They're (supposed to be) counting how much time the ball is out of play each time and adding that on at the end. This 30 seconds per sub thing is outdated.

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Are they actually in meltdown? Second place and 7+ points on several top four candidates actually looks like a great position. Who would have thought after Kane left last minute?

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs

It was mainly their keeper who went down for ages. At one point he even took his gloves off, they readied his replacement, he trundled over to the side lines but just as he got there he decided that actually he can carry on, put his gloves back on and trundled back to his goal. That's the kind of thing that was going on all game. Should've been more than 12 if anything.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
The 12mins seems a bit of a joke, but by contrast so was the 3 at half time. Probably should have been more like 6 at half time and 8 at full time.

Ludens the Red

Are they actually in meltdown? Second place and 7+ points on several top four candidates actually looks like a great position. Who would have thought after Kane left last minute?
Not sure about them yet. They’ll be better than they were but feck me their fixtures have been a piece of piss. Bournemouth, Burnley, Sheff Utd and Man Utd. Genuinely couldn’t pick a better start. They scraped a draw in their trickiest match v Brentford. Arsenal and Liverpool up next will tell us a lot more.

Tyrion

The thread was started a year ago. I guess this is just the Spurs thread.

It's fascinating how selling your best individual player can be good for a team. It's seemed to help Spurs and West Ham have been OK. Brighton have done it repeatedly and Liverpool only won the league because they sold Countinho who was seen as their best player. Individuals are overrated in football.

Yagami

Good post resistant

It's fascinating how selling your best individual player can be good for a team. It's seemed to help Spurs and West Ham have been OK. Brighton have done it repeatedly and Liverpool only won the league because they sold Countinho who was seen as their best player. Individuals are overrated in football.
We created one of our best teams ever by doing the same. This is why I've always said I'd cash in on Bruno. We'll never develop into a top team with someone so erratic in possession, and we'd get good money for him to help bring in players who might not have his stats, but who excel in their general play, which, in turn, would take our general play as a team up a few levels.

Eddy_JukeZ

We created one of our best teams ever by doing the same. This is why I've always said I'd cash in on Bruno. We'll never develop into a top team with someone so erratic in possession, and we'd get good money for him to help bring in players who might not have his stats, but who excel in their general play, which, in turn, would take our general play as a team up a few levels.
The Saudi League has created an excellent out if you want to cash in on certain players.

Doubt Bruno would want to move there though.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Not sure about them yet. They’ll be better than they were but feck me their fixtures have been a piece of piss. Bournemouth, Burnley, Sheff Utd and Man Utd. Genuinely couldn’t pick a better start. They scraped a draw in their trickiest match v Brentford. Arsenal and Liverpool up next will tell us a lot more.
I kind of expected a lot more from United vs Spurs. Didnt realise at the start of the season how bad United were going to be. Going away to Brentford is never easy though.

Having said that I fully expect Arsenal and Liverpool wins. But it will be closer than people think, certainly wont be a walk in the park.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

Think I said it in here or another Spurs thread, I remember when Arsenal sold Henry and our replacement signing that summer was a guy from the Croatian league. We went on to have a great 6 or 7 months until that signing broke his leg and we captitulated (some would say the Arsenal way).

The more I listen to the man the more, I want him to succeed.
Would be more strange if you didn't want him to succeed to be fair. :wenger:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Great speech. Inspirational. Australia 0-2 Peru.
Ange wasn't in charge for the game against Peru that you've referenced. He resigned 6 months beforehand. That speech was before the first match of the 2017 Confederations Cup.

Last edited:

Olril18

Think I said it in here or another Spurs thread, I remember when Arsenal sold Henry and our replacement signing that summer was a guy from the Croatian league. We went on to have a great 6 or 7 months until that signing broke his leg and we captitulated (some would say the Arsenal way).

Would be more strange if you didn't want him to succeed to be fair. :wenger:
you made me remember Eduardo

chris123

It's wild that I'm still not even convinced this lot are any good but are going to be 2nd after today.

Spurs obviously recruited brilliantly. Hyperphysical players with technique is always a pretty safe bet.

Vicario's gone under the radar though. Rock solid keeper with real presence. Decent with his feet too. I remember reading that he had the longest wingspan of any Serie A keeper since they started measuring it and it definitely looks like it. Has huge reach.

Guy Incognito

It's wild that I'm still not even convinced this lot are any good but are going to be 2nd after today.
They were third up until January/February time last year. We all know what happened next.

Saying that, they create lots of chances, manager isn't pretentious and they play once a week. Still, it's very early days.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Weren't they 2nd or 3rd under Conte at this stage last season? Of course they're playing better football but squad depth really isn't there considering who they were bringing on at 1-1 today unless they've got 4-5 major injuries currently? Richarlison as CF for these games is going to remain a problem aswell.

They're doing well but I'd be amazed if they got close to 80 points this season as it's a long old season albeit one game a week will help them up to December.