Television Fargo (tv series)

Ivor Ballokov

Pretty up and down for me, the first episode was horrendous and almost made me give up but it improved and I really enjoyed Malvo terrorising the supermarket fella, but then it all got a bit lost in itself and the ending was another representation of its inconsistency.

JackXX

I loved the TV series, then I watched the movie after, and I have to say the movie is terrible!

The TV series ended a bit shit, but American TV shows never seem to end well (Breaking Bad another poor ending in my book).
:houllier:

Joemo

whistling in the wind
The movie is fantastic!

As for the series, I thought it was okay. It started off very well, petered out a bit but I thought the ending was quite good.

What I didn't get was when Lester was in LA, who identified him as the witness? Molly goes to his house and asks him if he saw anything, and that the security tapes are being reviewed, but how do they know he was even near the elevator? Or are they following up on every hotel guest who was there at the time? (I understand it's a bit needless but it bugged me whilst watching)

Donut

I don't think this was as bad as some in here are making it sound. It was quite entertaining, and I thought Malvo, Molly, & Lester were all great.

Keenst

Finished this last night, thought it was well made and a good enjoyable watch, a bit stupid at times but that didn't really put me off.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I just realised I never finished this. Don't really feel any desire too either, it got a bit silly. Going to read up on it instead.

jem

Ok, just finished watching this. I thought it was excellent - it had elements of Breaking Bad in it, but I thought it wrapped up in a far more satisfying way (I honestly think the Breaking Bad finale is one of the worst I've ever seen.) Billy Bob Thornton was excellent, and Colin Hanks wasn't terrible either.

jem

Pretty up and down for me, the first episode was horrendous and almost made me give up but it improved and I really enjoyed Malvo terrorising the supermarket fella, but then it all got a bit lost in itself and the ending was another representation of its inconsistency.
The peak for me was the episode with the blizzard. Even though the supermarket king plot strand was a touch superfluous, it was pretty central to this episode, which i thought was beautifully shot and very suspenseful.

acnumber9

I just finished watching this show after some recommendations and thought it was disappointing. It was well acted, atmospheric and funny at times but the writing was horrible. Very little motivation for some of the characters to do what they did. Billy Bob Thornton's character had no development at all. He'd show up for a bit, say something menacing, shoot some people then disappear for a while. Rinse and repeat.

Loublaze

ATLien
I just finished watching this show after some recommendations and thought it was disappointing. It was well acted, atmospheric and funny at times but the writing was horrible. Very little motivation for some of the characters to do what they did. Billy Bob Thornton's character had no development at all. He'd show up for a bit, say something menacing, shoot some people then disappear for a while. Rinse and repeat.
He won best actor at the Golden globe awards Sunday night for his performance. I haven't seen it yet, plan to.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Billy Bob won for being Billy Bob at a time in his career when good actors start to get nominated just for still being in things.

Tarrou

I enjoyed it but didn't think it was anything special you could compare to the best. The Hobbit and Tom Hank's son were good, and BB was fun to watch. It doesn't come close to TD for me, but the awards are always bollocks so hardly surprised by it.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
McConnaughy had the most riveting character in television history for me. Absolute travesty that he didn't win.

Member 39557

I liked Fargo, but I haven't seen the film. Quite surprising as I watch a lot of films :confused:

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Finally finished this, agree with most other accounts of its up and downyness with a fair amount of pointless stuff having been thrown in and I thought it was a pretty big anti-climax at the end. I enjoyed it on the whole though.

On another note, IMDB is saying there's going to be a second season... really?

Ubik

Yeah, a couple decades back, with her father-policeman as the main hero.
Ah, makes more sense than a straight follow on, and they did mention the incident a fair amount in the last episode. Although, he also pretty much described how it ended :lol: Hope it's not just a rinse-repeat job again.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Finished it yesterday, I really liked some of it, and I felt indifferent about certain episodes... I enjoyed the music, the cinematography, the acting, and I don't mind that it wandered around at times with seemingly no plot, but I'm not sure the material at hand was strong enough to have that type of approach. A bit of a mixed bag in the end.

I thought Thornton was very good, but it's a bit of a joke McConaughey didn't win the award. Not only was his character one of the most interesting in ages on TV, but his portrayal over 3 eras was absolutely incredible.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Just started watching it. Very interesting! Haven't seen the movie though, mind.

Billy Bob Thornton is very, very sinister!

b82REZ

I started this last week and I'm really enjoying, I'd say I'm surprised by the negative comments but this is the Caf after all.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Halfway through, it's not terrible, but some of it is. It feels like expensively produced Fargo fan fiction. Why does this even exist.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
This or 'True Detective', people?
Very different shows. Both great in their own way.

True Detective is worth watching for the performances of the 2 main characters even if then last episode or two isn't as satisfying story wise as you hoped due to the brilliance of the earlier episodes. Fargo is a black comedy based around a crime plot. I enjoyed it - well worth watching and I'll watch series 2.

If you haven't watched it yet The Killing (the Danish original) is excellent - all 3 series although series 1 is the standout and American Crime was also very good. If you like the Michael Connolly's Harry Bosch books then you will also like the recent TV series.

Cina

The first season of True Detective is a million miles better than the first season of Fargo. No comparison at all. Fargo was mostly entertaining silliness, although there were quite a few terrible episodes in the middle.

Mind you, the second season won't exactly have to do much to be better than the second season of TD (so far).

Ubik

Halfway through, it's not terrible, but some of it is. It feels like expensively produced Fargo fan fiction. Why does this even exist.
That's actually pretty much a bang on description for what it is!

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
This or 'True Detective', people?
True Detective, it's not even close. And I generally liked Fargo. The first season of True Detective might be some of the best television ever made. Right up there with the best of The Sopranos, The Wire, and Breaking Bad.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
True Detective, it's not even close. And I generally liked Fargo. The first season of True Detective might be some of the best television ever made. Right up there with the best of The Sopranos, The Wire, and Breaking Bad.
Great show but it blew it in the last episode or 2

Zen

True Detective had a pretty shitty ending. Fargo was consistent but didn't have the highs of TD's fourth episode(i think)......still, I side with consistency every time, so Fargo. It's a pure homage to the Coens, and done exceptionally well.

Neither are all-time contenders, definitely not after TD's significant second year slump, we'll see on Fargo.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Great show but it blew it in the last episode or 2
Yeah, I actually haven't watched any of Season 2 yet. Was planning on binge-watching it once I had all 8 episodes on my DVR. Never expected Season 2 to quite hit the heights of Season 1. Sucks to hear that it falls totally flat.

On another note, I didn't even realize that The Killing had a Danish version. Watched the American version and thought that the 1st season was really good. Unfortunately it's one of those shows once the mystery of the killer is solved, all the intrigue for subsequent seasons completely disappears. Can vaguely recall season 2 and 3 had something to do with politicians, dirty cops, and runaway girls. Pretty unmemorable.