Favourites to win World Cup?

Irwin99

Do Spain still have Morata as their main striker? They would have comfortably won the last Euros if they had a decent striker I think.

I'm going for Argentina. Brazil look strong though and despite what some might argue I think that Dutch side could surprise a few people.

IFC 1905

Argentina won 2 and drew 1 out of recent games with Brazil, along with the Italy game. Italy not making it was a fluke, but anyway. So like... How aren't they proven to be a better side? Deservedly won a final, won another and drew another. And then hammered Italy. Brazil against big teams.... Lost to Argentina and played nobody else. Hard to judge playing against Ghana and South Korea where the ancient defence won't be challenged.

And at this early stage of the season, no it does not matter at all. Watching performances/trends and seeing with your own eyes matters more than small sample size results which have enormous variance.
And we could've won at the copa america 2019 semi-finals but a scandalous robbery was commited there

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
No Pogba and Kante seems quite significant in terms of chances for France.

Revan

Assumptionman
No Pogba and Kante seems quite significant in terms of chances for France.
And possibly no Varane.

It seems that the world cup might finally go back to South America. Brazil and Argentina might be the overall favorites.

Teja

Going to root for Brazil given we're Brazil FC now.

Drifter

American
Brazil
France (if they show up)
England
Spain
Germany
Argentina

Demyanenko_square_jaw

I was going for Brazil, but not sure now with the draw.

I prefer Croatia slightly over Denmark for current smaller teams that are playing well and could have a strong tournament. They still have their talisman to play when needed (if not every game this time) and more experience in general of getting far, plus a strong national team culture slowly built up within recent tournaments/qualifiers again of stepping up in big games. The Danes seem a bit softer and less die for the shirt (eriksen aside)/win at all costs as a collective to me. that sort of thing is no substitute for talent and steady professionalism of course, but when you have all of them, it can give something extra in a close game. Croatia seem one of the very few national teams in Europe that have had a recent collective of players at least as interested in winning with the national team as they are about their club careers.

Serbia could be interesting too. They've been less than the sum of the parts, or outright mediocre for so long, but are playing now mostly playing very well with Stojkovic as manager. he seems competent and his reputation as a great player seems to be giving something extra to the team collective. However they have a whole lot of underachieving/bad results to mentally overcome.

Reij

Supports
Bayern Munchen
Brazil, Argentina, France or Germany.
Germany doesn't have a good striker though, which Flick's football is geared towards.

Last edited:

BorisManUtd

Have a feeling Brazil or Argentina are going to win it and I'd be happy if it happens. We saw France, Germany and Spain winning it recently. Not sure England will do that good this time. Argentina haven't won it since 1986 and just imagining seeing Messi win it gives me joy and I have never been some Messi (nor Ronaldo) fan. Would mean our Martinez winning it which would be even better thing.

Abraxas

In my opinion Spain has a chance. Maybe it's not a vintage side, but they have the type of football to suck the life out of sides in the conditions.

I don't see England doing anything of note, sadly. I think Gareth has had his chance and his little run, I expect it to come crashing down here. Everything about our build up feels wrong.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I would like to see both Casemiro and Martinez in the final. Maybe Antony comes on late to score an equalizer, and Messi curls in the winner in the 90th minute.

Brazil or Argentina, please.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Hoping England make it to the quarter finals at the very least. But they might implode and exit at the group stage who knows.

Brazil are the likely winners with France a close second.

Son

Going on the last big tournament I would say Spain are dark horses. They played the best football in the Euros despite not been great on paper.

If they had a striker who could finish they would have won the Euro’s I’m sure of it so I’ve gotta give them a chance at the World Cup in the heat keeping possession.

BEST No7

Going on the last big tournament I would say Spain are dark horses. They played the best football in the Euros despite not been great on paper.

If they had a striker who could finish they would have won the Euro’s I’m sure of it so I’ve gotta give them a chance at the World Cup in the heat keeping possession.
No chance Spain win the WC, their quite shit. I predict Argentina

Son

No chance Spain win the WC, their quite shit. I predict Argentina
I kinda am rooting for Argentina just so we can finally shut the stupid GOAT debate.

Messi wins them the cup and rides off in the sunset that would probably be the best conclusion.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
1. Brazil
2. Argentina
3. France (even with the injuries)
4. Spain
5. England
6. Netherlands
7. Germany
8. Portugal

AgentP

Messi's best chance to win the world cup. I don't see any team coming into the world cup with really good form. It's also been a while since a non-European team won the world cup.

ShoePolish

Germany for me, they look mean and got Flick in charge. I'd like it to be Argentina though.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Both Camavinga and Tchouameni are good enough to win the world cup. The only thing that might hold them back is Deschamps.
Of course, but teams like Argentina, Brazil and Spain seem a bit more settled than France who seem to be in a bit of a transition.

Blackbeard

Supports
Bristol City
Hoping England flop badly enough that the FA have no choice but to get rid of Southgate. Unfortunately I think that would be out at group stage otherwise it will be spun to keep their man in post.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Very few people have Maradona above Messi.

Maradona existed in a period where football was romantic and a single player could truly run a whole game, and arguably a whole season. Maradona’s Napoli achievements will be unique forever. It was like Vardy at Leicester but on steroids. His WC win in 86 was as good a tournament performance as you’ll ever see.

It’s unfair to expect Messi to achieve the same. He’s clearly a better player. But I’d rather have been a Napoli fan in 1990 than a Barca fan, in any Messi year.
Maradona didn't run a whole season alone in Napoli.
He had to wait for Napoli to get reinforcements before Napoli challenged for the league.

In Argentina he is the GOAT, not just because of football, but also because argentinians felt represented by him, he always was a very expressive and talkative guy...while Messi is an introvert guy who never played for an argentinian club and lives in Spain since he is 13.

Last edited:
Brazil. Attacking depth is incredible. Midfield base is top tier, amazing GKs and good CBs only weakness is full backs but you can win the World Cup with average FBs (France 18 for example).

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Odds people looking at country names only and ignoring any sort of actual performances over the past 1.5 years is what that is.

People calling France favourites, haven't watched France since their world Cup win. Simple as that. Like feck are they favourites with Deschamps. It's like being confused that United kept on being shit with Ole or Mourinho game after game after we finished 2nd. Yes, we were good a year before, and then the squad lost hope and just couldn't get it up for the manager, and so every game was shit. This is France now. Just like it was Germany until Flick replaced Low. And it is Portugal now. And it is England now. Those 3 aren't winning shit until they get a new manager with fresh ideas to get the squad to at least play to their level.

Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Argentina and Brazil have to be the top 5. And for me, Brazil is a clear bottom of that group. They play defensive, negative football and have an ancient back line. They don't play to their strengths at all. Netherlands, Germany and Spain all play to their strengths, with excellent managers, and excellent teams (varying depth). Argentina had a great game vs Italy in that one game that was a glorified friendly, but other than that have played basically garbage level opposition but have been comfortable throughout. Hard to judge them, but they have a very well balanced team and if Messi is back to his best, can make it all the way. They're the biggest unknown for me though and I'm going more of results and names for them than any performances that I've actually seen like with Germany, Netherlands, Spain.
Playing offensive football is overrated in the World Cup, it doesn't give you the trophy, neither secures reaching the final.

France 82 y 86 didn't win the WC neither reached the the final, so playing offensive footy doesn't secure anything.

One of the Spain, Germany, and Netherlands is gonna flop losing to a pragmatic side, there is always an offensive team flopping in every world cup.

You are overrating the style way too much, is all about individual quality in World Cup.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Playing offensive football is overrated in the World Cup, it doesn't give you the trophy, neither secures reaching the final.

France 82 y 86 didn't win the WC neither reached the the final, so playing offensive footy doesn't secure anything.

One of the Spain, Germany, and Netherlands is gonna flop losing to a pragmatic side, there is always an offensive team flopping in every world cup.

You are overrating the style way too much, is all about individual quality in World Cup.
It's not just offensive football. It's balanced football with an actual system, rather than just being defensive and trying to let attackers win the games on their own. It's being shown more and more often that teams with good, balanced systems come up on top more and more often. It's basically Ole ball vs Ten Hag ball. there's a world of difference. It's why so many underrated Spain in the Euro's, but then they reached the semi finals and were unlucky to lose on pens to Italy (who also was one of the 2 best coached sides in the euro's that year).

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Brazil, Argentina, France & Belgium. Highly doubt the latter 2, so maybe space for another European nation to win it: Spain, Portugal, Germany, England.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
@Andrade oh and to add on. What makes Brazil so much better now compared to 2018 when they were entirely average? All their best players like Neymar and Thiago Silva have declined since then, Marcelo, an all time great, isn't there anymore and is replaced by barely a premier league level player. In 2018, same coach, they were pretty shit to watch, and lost to Belgium in the quarter finals. Why will it be different now? I'd understand if they got a different coach in. But they haven't. The coach is the single most important role in football, and if that's not right, then you aren't getting far.
We are talking about international football here.

Coaching isn't the most important thing at international football, otherwise Germany and France wouldn't have won the WC with Low and Deschamps who were not considered top coaches when that happened...neither Portugal would have won the Euro with Fernando Santos.

Coaching is very important for clubs, not for international football.

Brazil is better than Argentina, even argentinian press is afraid of calling themselves favorites (contrary to their history of bragging a lot before a WC starts) because their squad isn't great aside from Messi and Di María, they recognize this is the weakest Argentina ever when it comes to individual quality.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We are talking about international football here.

Coaching isn't the most important thing at international football, otherwise Germany and France wouldn't have won the WC with Low and Deschamps who were not considered top coaches when that happened...neither Portugal would have won the Euro with Fernando Santos.

Coaching is very important for clubs, not for international football.

Brazil is better than Argentina, even argentinian press is afraid of calling themselves favorites (contrary to their history of bragging a lot before a WC starts) because their squad isn't great aside from Messi and Di María, they recognize this is the weakest Argentina ever when it comes to individual quality.
I'd say it's very important. Luis Enrique took Spain to the euro semi's and was unlucky against Italy. Van Gaal took a horrible Dutch squad (with 1 Arjen Robben) to a world Cup semi final in 2014. And there have been multiple years without any good coaches (paired with good sides) over the years. This year is different, as there are excellent coaches in charge of very good to excellent squads. It makes a big impact.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
No clear favourite which makes this WC more interesting.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Since none of our players get to start it seems, the U.S. is going to sneak in and steal it at the death just by attrition….

Watching this unfold is so depressing. And it has made me do the literal unthinkable: agree with Jamie Carragher on something.

You do have to think that the sheer depth of talent at every spot Brazil can throw out is going to be a factor though. Maybe you could make the same argument for France?

idk

al.gabiru

Sixteen days until the world cup and most teams still not called up

Chemistry can make a difference.

Germany benefits the most, with Bayern's midfield and attack (goretzka, kimmich, musiala, gnabry, muller, sane) playing every week.
*Muller and Sane are injured, but are part of the Bayern system and should be fully recovered

IFC 1905

What? :lol: There's such a hype level in Argentina there hasn't been since 2002 WC. Where did you take that from?

I believe Argentina can beat anyone, and the future is even brighter with the likes of Enzo Fernandez, Fausto Vera, Julian Alvarez, Buonanotte, Soule, Garnacho, Luka Romero, MCallister and the likes of Lautaro Martinez, Lisandro Martinez, Cuti Romero still being very young. I believe we will have a much better squad for 2026.

Last edited: