FC Bayern 17/18 discussion

Jaap

There biggest mistake was not signing KdB in Pep final season. I honestly believe he was that missing piece to that team and they would've ended it with the treble. Pep knew what he wanted and both Lewa and Muller would've benefited the most from him.

Letting Kroos go and for peanuts just set the team back. Sane would've been a great replacement for Ribery and Robben.
If Pep had gotten his way, we‘d have seen a Thiago-Gündogan partnership, as well as Sané & de Bruyne in a simply unstoppable Bayern XI. Add Neymar to that & he‘d have been the best Bayern Manager ever.

TotalFootballOne

If Pep had gotten his way, we‘d have seen a Thiago-Gündogan partnership, as well as Sané & de Bruyne in a simply unstoppable Bayern XI. Add Neymar to that & he‘d have been the best Bayern Manager ever.
Did he want Gundo there?

SirMattBugsby

There's no point lamenting transfers that didn't happen. Aren't we forgetting the bargain that has been Rodriguez? Coman is developing well under Heynckes as well. Bayern's two short-term priorities are getting cover for Lewandowski (which Lewy himself has alluded to) and deciding who the next manager will be.

As for the transfer policy, Bayern have turned towards the youth academy to counter the inflated market. There's a reason the board did not sign KdB and Sane. First-team players from the academy ensure financial stability as well as emotional attachment of local fans to the club.

The transfer market, unlike for English clubs, will not be the go-to mechanism for Bayern. It will be used if the academy products are not sufficient enough to fulfill first-team deficiencies. As a United fan, I'm fully behind this approach. I don't know about others, but the only match I enjoyed last season was the last PL game against Palace.

TotalFootballOne

Yes, wanted Thiago & Gündogan to be his Xavi-Iniesta duo at Bayern.
That's interesting. I was never aware of that, I knew about Neymar as Rummenigge mentioned it, KdB interest was never a secret, recently even Pep confirmed. Sane according to Pep when he was interested in him at BM he didn't want to come at that time. That would've costed a lot of money, but would've been a lethal team going forward for years.

Jaap

There's no point lamenting transfers that didn't happen. Aren't we forgetting the bargain that has been Rodriguez? Coman is developing well under Heynckes as well. Bayern's two short-term priorities are getting cover for Lewandowski (which Lewy himself has alluded to) and deciding who the next manager will be.

As for the transfer policy, Bayern have turned towards the youth academy to counter the inflated market. There's a reason the board did not sign KdB and Sane. First-team players from the academy ensure financial stability as well as emotional attachment of local fans to the club.

The transfer market, unlike for English clubs, will not be the go-to mechanism for Bayern. It will be used if the academy products are not sufficient enough to fulfill first-team deficiencies. As a United fan, I'm fully behind this approach. I don't know about others, but the only match I enjoyed last season was the last PL game against Palace.
1. I‘m all for that approach as well; best run club in Europe Bayern. One of the reasons Guardiola left, I suppose?

2. Didn’t Hoeneß promise a big, big transfer this summer or was that James?

3. Leicester at home (4-1) was entertaining as was our game v Chelsea.

Jaap

That's interesting. I was never aware of that, I knew about Neymar as Rummenigge mentioned it, KdB interest was never a secret, recently even Pep confirmed. Sane according to Pep when he was interested in him at BM he didn't want to come at that time. That would've costed a lot of money, but would've been a lethal team going forward for years.
Neuer
Kimmich Boateng Hummels Alaba
Thiago Gündogan
Robben De Bruyne Sané
Lewandowski

Yikes.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Yes, wanted Thiago & Gündogan to be his Xavi-Iniesta duo at Bayern.
I'm sure he would have welcomed Gündogan, and the aquisition of Thiago was his personal request to the club. But most of what I know indicates the central player in his midfield plans (his Xavi, if you will) would have been Kroos.

Not sure about this - Bayern's youth development has been neglected since they produced the last generation of quality players. The last big one was Alaba in 2010. Can in 2012 and perhaps Höjbjerg in 2013 may be counted too, but they failed to make the grade in Bayern's first team. After that, nothing. Sammer was tasked with rejuvenating the connection between the second and the first team, but it never really materialized...

Or do you mean there's a very recent focus on making another serious attempt in that regard? If so, I'd wait for visible results to see if there's a real masterplan in place this time.

SirMattBugsby

1. I‘m all for that approach as well; best run club in Europe Bayern. One of the reasons Guardiola left, I suppose?

2. Didn’t Hoeneß promise a big, big transfer this summer or was that James?

3. Leicester at home (4-1) was entertaining as was our game v Chelsea.
Guardiola is on his own ego trip. He wanted it like he's getting at Manchester City. He's in a hurry to build his dream team and wants no constraints. Nothing wrong with it but that's not how Bayern's run.

I don't remember Hoeneß promising a big signing but it might be true. James has been good so far. His performance against Leipzig on the left wing was match-winning. He can play anywhere in attacking midfield and is the sort of technical advanced player that Bayern were missing. If he continues to perform, he will reduce Bayern's dependence on Robbery, in which case, yeah, I'll say he is a big signing.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I didn't enjoy any other thing last season. But that final game, the enthusiasm and energy of Harrop, Mitchell, McTominay etc made me realize what United have been missing for a long time now. The sincerity of a youth product is undoubted, and he will do anything to break into the first team and help his parent club win.

That difference was apparent to me in that supposedly dead game.

Or do you mean there's a very recent focus on making another serious attempt in that regard? If so, I'd wait for visible results to see if there's a real masterplan in place this time.
Bayern have invested about 100 million Euros in the academy this year. The objective, according to KHR, is to produce 1 first-team player every year.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Bayern have invested about 100 million Euros in the academy this year. The objective, according to KHR, is to produce 1 first-team player every year.
Okay, that's serious ambition for sure. I suppose that would include an update of their concepts beyond infrastructure as well, then? (Scouting, recruiting, coaching and so on...) Do you have any info on that?

SirMattBugsby

Okay, that's serious ambition for sure. I suppose that would include an update of their concepts beyond infrastructure as well, then? (Scouting, recruiting, coaching and so on...) Do you have any info on that?
Not much unfortunately. The sporting director is Hermann Gerland, who previously developed the crop of Müller and Alaba and before that Lahm and Schweinsteiger. It's about four times the size of Sabener Straße, so I assumed they would update other concepts with such an investment.

Here are the links. And my apologies, the figure is €70 m, not 100.

https://fcbayern.com/us/news/2017/08/press-release-fc-bayern-campus-officially-inaugurated

http://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/B...new-youth-academy-fc-bayern-campus-457366.jsp

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Not much unfortunately. The sporting director is Hermann Gerland, who previously developed the crop of Müller and Alaba and before that Lahm and Schweinsteiger. It's about four times the size of Sabener Straße, so I assumed they would update other concepts with such an investment.

Here are the links. And my apologies, the figure is €70 m, not 100.

https://fcbayern.com/us/news/2017/08/press-release-fc-bayern-campus-officially-inaugurated

http://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/B...new-youth-academy-fc-bayern-campus-457366.jsp
I've googled a bit myself now and have found they have hired the former chief executive (?) of RB Salzburg, Jochen Sauer. Apparently he's supposed to work on the conceptual side in cooperation with Gerland.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Why the hell is Mats Hummels out there musing publicly about what manager Bayern should appoint

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Why the hell is Mats Hummels out there musing publicly about what manager Bayern should appoint
Why not? Lewandowski is working out Bayern's transfer strategy already, maybe they can replace Brazzo together.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Because he's a bit thick
He is, isn't he? Oh well, he's played some magnificent games recently so I'll forgive for now. On top of his game he's so majestic. Sadly he's not on top of his game quite often enough. And I won't forgive him if he messes up the Tuchel move for us because he thinks his feelings matter.

Why not? Lewandowski is working out Bayern's transfer strategy already, maybe they can replace Brazzo together.
Brazzo will prove us all wrong.

schwalbe

Supports
Fc Bayern München
So the interest of Bayern in Wagner is official:
http://www.spox.com/de/sport/fussba.../sandro-wagner-lewandowski-robert-backup.html

What do people on here think about this?
I think it makes sense. He wouldn't increase our chances of winning the CL by much but he would be a very good back up for the league and a decent option when Bayern needs a goal in the KO rounds .He's also relatively cheap (~10Mio €), came through the Bayern youth and won't complain when he's sitting on the bench.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
So the interest of Bayern in Wagner is official:
http://www.spox.com/de/sport/fussba.../sandro-wagner-lewandowski-robert-backup.html

I think it makes sense. He wouldn't increase our chances of winning the CL by much but he would be a very good back up for the league and a decent option when Bayern needs a goal in the KO rounds .He's also relatively cheap (~10Mio €), came through the Bayern youth and won't complain when he's sitting on the bench.
Not sure he won’t complain ... he’s got quite the ego.

BlueSingh

Supports
Manchester City
Sorry about my lack of knowledge but I don't follow German football much, is Heynckes back for good now? or will he leave after the end of the season?

saylon

Supports
Bayern Munich
Sorry about my lack of knowledge but I don't follow German football much, is Heynckes back for good now? or will he leave after the end of the season?
He's merely back as a favor to the club and Hoeness. He stated recently that he's going back to retirement after this season.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Awful, just awful, but not surprising. There's few things I detest more than dim-witted bellends who deem themselves clever, and constantly overestimate their actual capabilities. Nobody fits that bill more than Sandro Wagner.
But as you've said, full-grown product of our academy, German and relatively cheap to hire, so right up Uli's alley.:(
Said it before, I was hoping for us to maybe make a shameless approach towards Arp, to prevent him losing precious time in Hamburg. Now I have to endure Wagner and his verbal diarrhoea while wearing a Bayern shirt, yuck.
Well, there had to be *something* to muddy the waters after the previous weeks of general positivity, I suppose.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Awful, just awful, but not surprising. There's few things I detest more than dim-witted bellends who deem themselves clever, and constantly overestimate their actual capabilities. Nobody fits that bill more than Sandro Wagner.
But as you've said, full-grown product of our academy, German and relatively cheap to hire, so right up Uli's alley.:(
Said it before, I was hoping for us to maybe make a shameless approach towards Arp, to prevent him losing precious time in Hamburg. Now I have to endure Wagner and his verbal diarrhoea while wearing a Bayern shirt, yuck.
Well, there had to be *something* to muddy the waters after the previous weeks of general positivity, I suppose.
Sorry, but Arp being backup to an 29 year old Lewandowski would be even more of a waste. Wagner fits the bill for 18 months, that’s all we need.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Wagner fits Bayern like a glove. Monumental twat at a club full of bellends, match made in heaven.

Nostradamus

Can’t even predict the past
Couldnt disagree more..I like his character, speaking whats on his mind and not that typical BS blabla like most others. I also admire his confidence and his 'I dont care what other people think-attitude'..thats how pros should be..the opposite of a pussy like Mkhitaryan.

He would be a very good additional option to have..I ll be pleased. Arp wont come to Bayern that soon, as he is doing his High School 1st..it would be deluded to think he would come in winter..no chance. Its well known that Bayern are after Arp, so if he wants to come, then he will come..surely not in winter though.

Last edited:

Nostradamus

Wagner fits Bayern like a glove. Monumental twat at a club full of bellends, match made in heaven.
Full of bellends? I see just one, but he is the biggest bellend of them all of course..Uli.

Last edited:

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
So what are these rumours we are hearing about Goretzka perhaps moving to England and Liverpool?

That is a worst case scenario. FFS can't you Bayern cnuts do anything right.

Nostradamus

So what are these rumours we are hearing about Goretzka perhaps moving to England and Liverpool?

I m sure he has already agreed to go to Bayern.

There have been rumours about Bayern, Barca, Juve and literally the whole EPL besides City. The Liverpool rumours have been non-existing lately..not that I can remember.

Klopp could be a factor, but I dont take the Liverpool links seriously.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München

Just Bierhoff using Goretzka as an example for a talent the BL might lose and English media blowing everything out of proportion.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Is it April the first? Wagner? :houllier: not too long ago he was totally out of his depth in the first division. When push comes to shove, I'd rather start Müller, Robben, James or Coman upfront instead of fecking Wagner. He is a country-mile away from being good enough. We could have kept gnabry if pointless squad players are wanted. Maybe it's time to bring Petersen back. :houllier:
Wagner is also a massive tit. Jesus wept.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
We are buying a German NT squad player to play against Freiburg and the likes and you guys speak about panicking? What exactly are you expecting? When this is panicking, what was the board doing when not buying a rather pointless backup in the summer? Preparing for the end of the world? In case yup haven’t noticed, that guy is pretty much replacing a 37 year old Peruvian guy...

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
We are buying a German NT squad player to play against Freiburg and the likes and you guys speak about panicking? What exactly are you expecting? When this is panicking, what was the board doing when not buying a rather pointless backup in the summer? Preparing for the end of the world? In case yup haven’t noticed, that guy is pretty much replacing a 37 year old Peruvian guy...
You could blindfold that 37yr old Peruvian guy, put him in a wheelchair and he'd still be twice the player than Wagner is.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
You could blindfold that 37yr old Peruvian guy, put him in a wheelchair and he'd still be twice the player than Wagner is.
Sorry, but that’s just bullshit. 30 year old Pizarro? Maybe. But we never had that one.

You don’t have to like his antics, but he certainly isn’t a bad player. He’s got determination, motivation and he finds the goal. Not sure what more you can ask. What are the alternatives? Ibisevic?

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
I'd rather have us follow Lewa's suggestion, and get someone young with actual potential, than hiring someone we let go for good reasons. A 10 goals per season striker like Wagner doesn't improve us at all.
But yeah, even fecking Vedad Ibisevic would have been a better choice.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
I'd rather have us follow Lewa's suggestion, and get someone young with actual potential, than hiring someone we let go for good reasons. A 10 goals per season striker like Wagner doesn't improve us at all.
But yeah, even fecking Vedad Ibisevic would have been a better choice.
Older, worse, non-German, less ambition.

I really don’t get the problem with Wagner. Whoever is bought isn’t meant to play so nevermind what Lewy says, no one young with ambition will ever join us. Simple as that. Maybe some Brazilian or some Eastern European guy, but that’s just a recipe for failure right there.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
The point is exactly that we didn't get a backup in the summer and are now banking on an average player whose best quality is that he could still play in the CL for us because he missed out on it so far. It's a super short-term solution for a long-term problem that has been ignored too long.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
The point is exactly that we didn't get a backup in the summer and are now banking on an average player whose best quality is that he could still play in the CL for us because he missed out on it so far. It's a super short-term solution for a long-term problem that has been ignored too long.
Please tell me about the plethora of useful alternatives we could have gotten in the summer. Because saying „you won’t play unless Lewandowski tells us he wants some rest“ is probably a receipt for attracting top class talent and so just didn’t know it yet.