FC Bayern 17/18 discussion

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
The point is exactly that we didn't get a backup in the summer and are now banking on an average player whose best quality is that he could still play in the CL for us because he missed out on it so far. It's a super short-term solution for a long-term problem that has been ignored too long.
Good luck trying to find a young exciting prospect that's willing to sit on his ass 99% of the time because he's behind Lewandowski. You might as well just burn a couple of millions... or get someone like Wagner. I'm by no means thrilled about this, but what's with the outrage? It's not like anyone said "Wagner oder nix". Any transfers that make our squad noticeably better will have to wait until the summer, anyway.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
So, who else is surprised that Martinez in DM makes us both more stable and more threatening? I for one am completely bamboozled.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
So, who else is surprised that Martinez in DM makes us both more stable and more threatening? I for one am completely bamboozled.
In my opinion he needs to be paired with Hummels and Boateng behind him and at least one of Thiago and James. Otherwise there is not enough creativity and the bulid-up suffers. But yes, he stabilizes.

ManUfan1970

Supports
Leeds
Tolisso doesn't fill the same positions as Thiago and he doesn't seem quite the player he was made out to be, making Bayern spend a record sum on him.
Record price was because of the market situation. Thus i agree with you coz tolisso is more a offensive midfielder like Ballack. The kid has got all the tools to become a top player

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackwidow

Tolisso is entering the scene so bayerfans can sleep
No. Thiago is a pass master and playmaker from the 8 whereas Tolisso is more box-to-box with offensive strengths. Last weekend in combination with Vidal it was James who took over the passing in central midfield and was fine in that role even if he does not have Thiagos defensive strengths and workrate - but that might not be that necessary with Martinez behind. But it functioned so that could be a solution for the next weeks. Tolisso and Vidal together in midfield is creepy...

Thiago has a partial muscle rapture and will be for sure out for 3 months. Robben just has a light hamstring injury - probably will be out about 2 weeks even if it is Robben...

Bayern's injury list at the moment (Coman, Müller and Alaba will be back soon, Ribery return is planned for in about 2 weeks)

Neuer Alaba Robben Thiago Coman Ribéry Müller

ManUfan1970

Supports
Leeds
No. Thiago is a pass master and playmaker from the 8 whereas Tolisso is more box-to-box with offensive strengths. Last weekend in combination with Vidal it was James who took over the passing in central midfield and was fine in that role even if he does not have Thiagos defensive strengths and workrate - but that might not be that necessary with Martinez behind. But it functioned so that could be a solution for the next weeks. Tolisso and Vidal together in midfield is creepy...

Thiago has a partial muscle rapture and will be for sure out for 3 months. Robben just has a light hamstring injury - probably will be out about 2 weeks even if it is Robben...

Bayern's injury list at the moment (Coman, Müller and Alaba will be back soon, Ribery return is planned for in about 2 weeks)

Neuer Alaba Robben Thiago Coman Ribéry Müller
I agree in long term its a really bad loss. But recently thiago hasnt been decisive or super creativ. Bayern so far has been carried by Hummels , Martinez , James and of course Coman , his pace is so hard to defend (35 kmh). So in bundesliga bayern have rudy who is solid , but of course in long term youre right. Against PSG is ot crucial not having thiago

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Tolisso doesn't fill the same positions as Thiago and he doesn't seem quite the player he was made out to be, making Bayern spend a record sum on him.
Funny enough, Tolisso looked far better in place the moment he moved to a right attacking position after Robben had to go off. I've seen Lyon fans write that they considered him better as an AM than a central midfielder, maybe he can find a role for us that fits him. He's pretty good at scoring goals, that much he has shown.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Bayern so far has been carried by Hummels , Martinez , James and of course Coman , his pace is so hard to defend (35 kmh).
James carried us? He's played less than Tolisso this season so far. Not saying he hasn't occasionally done really well (wednesday), but he didn't carry us anywhere. Coman showed clear improvement this season compared to last, but his end product is still woeful most of the time. Martinez back in DM is obviously huge, while I thought Süle has performed at least as good or better than Hummels.
Lewandowski carried us with his goals while our best player this season so far has clearly been Kimmich who is having a world class season in all competitions despite us playing a lot of scrappy games.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Wow, we're getting paid 46M € for Douglas Costa. Looks like great business from here and now.

Markmark99

Supports
Anelka Anelka Anelka
Bayern will never be knocked of their German perch. Just far too dominant in that country. They hoover up all the talent from rivals. all young German players obviously want to play for Bayern. Bit like Celtic in Scotland.#

But as for Europe it is not helping them. They were top dogs 2013-2015 but seem to be falling off. They can't compete with the top three from UK, PSG,REAL and Barca.

I do not see them winning the CL for a long time.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Bayern will never be knocked of their German perch. Just far too dominant in that country. They hoover up all the talent from rivals. all young German players obviously want to play for Bayern. Bit like Celtic in Scotland.#

But as for Europe it is not helping them. They were top dogs 2013-2015 but seem to be falling off. They can't compete with the top three from UK, PSG,REAL and Barca.
Just a matter how much they are willing to spend. Draxler, Goretzka, Wagner and Ozil would cost about 70M in transfer fees. I even think Bayern are a Griezmann darkhorse. That would overhaul/strengthen their attack pretty quickly for fairly cheap money.

Lewandowski Griezmann
Ozil
Alaba Goretzka Thiago Kimmich
Martinez Boateng Hummels
Neuer

Bench: Wagner, Muller, James, Draxler, Coman, Robben, Ribery, Tolisso, Rudy, Vidal, Sule, Bernat, Rafinha

That looks like a squad that could challenge for the Champions League in quality and depth, however you set the line-up, whether it´s a 4-2-3-1, 4-4-2, 3-5-2, 4-3-3.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München

I do not see them winning the CL for a long time.
Why are we allowing new members again? Yeah, we can’t compete with the UK top three, the one which isn’t doing anything in Europe for 5 years now :lol:
Jesus. No, we aren’t as dominant as we were, but those things go in circles. But there are so much more blatantly wrong things in that post, why do I even bother...

prath92

Don’t let Dortmund losing a 4 goal lead distract you from these guys losing :lol:

Last edited:

CookieMonster

Supports
FC Bayern München
Thanks for jinxing it and being insufferably arrogant ... err "funny" official English Bayern twitter account.

Once again it has been proven that nothing good comes from twitter.

For the game: Considering all the injuries, I'm just glad Coman is back and Bayern's got two of their offensive players with him and Lewandowski available now.

Also Kimmich was awesome scouting and I want Bayern to do the same with one or two wingers :p

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
- Manuel Neuer (broken foot)
- Franck Ribéry (knee ligament)
- Thiago (thigh)
- Thomas Müller (hamstring)
- Arjen Robben (hamstring)
- David Alaba (back problem)
- Rafinha (ankle)
- James Rodriguez (concussion)
- Juan Bernat (thigh)

What was your worst performance at home in your history at the European level? :devil:

Blackwidow

- Thiago (thigh)
- Rafinha (ankle)
- Juan Bernat (thigh)

What was your worst performance at home in your history at the European level? :devil:
In December - in a group stage match in which both are qualified? Who cares?

The biggest home loss was the lost CL final against Chelsea...

About the injuries - Müller, Alaba, James, Rafinha and Bernat should be able to play at the weekend. Robben might be back for PSG but it is okay if he comes back prior to the Cup match against Dortmund. Ribery will have a comeback before Xmas and it is only Neuer and Thiago that need longer.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
- Thiago (thigh)
- Rafinha (ankle)
- Juan Bernat (thigh)

One of the worst surely was the 0:4 against Real in the 2014 CL semifinal.

I guess I need to explain, since your club has never actually been in one: 'CL semifinal' is when the best 4 teams meet in two pairings, to play out who gets to the final

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
Imagine what Bayern would look like if they threw all financial considerations overboard, got themselves a big spender and just went nuts with a billion extra on the bank... Just for a second. I'm torn on that one, to be honest. On one side I prefer Bayern to play it fair like they do, no big spender dropping billions into the team. On the other hand, since everyone else is fecking up the game already, why should we be the last saints that don't? We could definitely tear Europe a new one with the kind of money certain other clubs are throwing around.

*sigh* Alas, being a saint it's gonna be for a couple more years, I guess.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
One of the worst surely was the 0:4 against Real in the 2014 CL semifinal.

I guess I need to explain, since your club has never actually been in one: 'CL semifinal' is when the best 4 teams meet in two pairings, to play out who gets to the final

Also, always better to compare apples with apples and pears with pears.

Bayern was founded in 1900: they were German champion for the 1st time in 1939 and the 2nd time in 1969. They won their first European Cup trophy in 1974.

PSG won much more trophies in its 30 first years of existence (before Qatar FYI) than Bayern in its 30 first years of existence: PSG established in 1970, French champions in 1986, winner of the European Cup of Cup in 1996...

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
In December - in a group stage match in which both are qualified? Who cares?

The biggest home loss was the lost CL final against Chelsea...

About the injuries - Müller, Alaba, James, Rafinha and Bernat should be able to play at the weekend. Robben might be back for PSG but it is okay if he comes back prior to the Cup match against Dortmund. Ribery will have a comeback before Xmas and it is only Neuer and Thiago that need longer.
I hope you will get your best possible team next week.

PSG doesn't want a 'remontada' and will try to keep the 1st place to avoid Barcelona for once.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
PSG won much more trophies in its 30 first years of existence (before Qatar FYI) than Bayern in its 30 first years of existence: PSG established in 1970, French champions in 1986, winner of the European Cup of Cup in 1996...
Such Pedigree. And they got where they are now by their own wit, guile and hard work on top of it.
You could shaft us until Christmas and we still wouldn't consider it one of our worst losses.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Such Pedigree. And they got where they are now by their own wit, guile and hard work on top of it.
You could shaft us until Christmas and we still wouldn't consider it one of our worst losses.
You haven't understood my post but it doesn't matter.

I never said you will lose or that game was an historic one for both parties.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

Bayern was founded in 1900: they were German champion for the 1st time in 1939 and the 2nd time in 1969. They won their first European Cup trophy in 1974.

You want to compare apples with apples and compare Germany from 1900 to 1960 to France from 1970 on? :lol:

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
You want to compare apples with apples and compare Germany from 1900 to 1960 to France from 1970 on? :lol:
We have to admit that it's a pretty terrible record if you think that Bayern didn't manage to win a single Bundesliga title in all that time

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
We have to admit that it's a pretty terrible record if you think that Bayern didn't manage to win a single Bundesliga title in all that time
The club did win the german championship in 1932 (against Frankfurt in the final).
Also, no club won a "Bundesliga" title until 1964. There was no national league before, just a whole lot of regional leagues. Champions of those leagues and later also runner ups competed in a final tournament for the german title. Considering Bayern wasn't among the clubs chosen to form the Bundesliga in the beginning and had to work its way up, the first title in 1969 didn't come that late.

Last edited:

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
The club did win the german championship in 1932 (against Frankfurt in the final).
Also, no club won a "Bundesliga" title until 1964. There was no national league before, just a whole lot of regional leagues. Champions of those leagues and later also runner ups competed in a final tournament for the german title. Considering Bayern wasn't among the clubs chosen to form the Bundesliga in the beginning and had to work its way up, the first title in 1969 didn't come that late.
Do I really need to add white text or emojis next time? :lol:

Pls :)

schwalbe

Supports
Fc Bayern München
Müller having a good game, setting up some good chances and with one very good chance himself.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München

You...are aware there wasn't a Bundesliga until 1963 and no European cups until 1955? :houllier:

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
VAR taking away an onside goal ffs

then penalty for Hannover

penalty converted, has to be repeated

penalty saved :lol: :lol: