Federico Macheda to Sampdoria (Loan Watch)

Chabon

He also won us a league title, on his debut, in injury time, when 17, I suppose that might give us cause to regard him as slightly promising. It's ridiculous how easily that's forgotten, if he'd done it for the scouse they'd have built him a statue. What's really absurd is that he'd be more highly rated on here if he spent most of the last two years playing in the reserves.

edit: Beaten by a second there...It's funny, I actually read that yesterday, and it does rather capture the mood that was rife during the game, it was absolutely awful being trapped in that stadium right next to the Villa fans...and then suddenly it was the best feeling in the world. :keano:

I think there's little doubt Liverpool would have won the league but for that moment.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Nobody is down playing his role in us winning the league.

That should have been the springboard to really kick start his career. Unfortunately it wasn't as in almost every game since he's looked out of his depth.

I'd love for the Lad to make it with us I really would. As I said in an earlier post, he needs a loan to a premiership club that can guarantee him games before we can realistically make any judgement on him.

Chabon

It really has kick-started his career, he's played about as much as you could ever imagine a teenage striker at a big club to play, especially considering he's had some pretty significant time out with injuries.

He's struggled mostly when starting, but then it's usually been games where we've played weakened sides and thrown him up front on his own. His sub appearances on the other hand have tended to be excellent, especially when it's really mattered, which is why despite my reservations about his long-term future I was (and remain) worried that we sent him out on loan. For a kid of his age, at a club of our stature, he's been fantastic.

Garethw

Dude you cannot say that Macheda has been fantastic. He'd never have been sent on loan and would be pushing Berba/Chica for a starting spot if he was.

His development has majorly stalled. I'm sure that SAF was hoping that the loan move would have really kick started his career and development again.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
He also won us a league title, on his debut, in injury time, when 17, I suppose that might give us cause to regard him as slightly promising. It's ridiculous how easily that's forgotten, if he'd done it for the scouse they'd have built him a statue. What's really absurd is that he'd be more highly rated on here if he spent most of the last two years playing in the reserves.

Hmm I think people need to stop judging him on 2 games 2 years ago. On the face of it, he scored a couple of goals in his first 2 matches. Many players have managed the same feat. Doesn't make them all special now does it. His progress has stalled since then. I wonder if he thought he'd made it after that. Its not easy to handle success and have the spotlight suddenly on you at a young age.

At this moment I see Kiko as a decent finisher. In the last 2 years I don't think other aspects of his game have improved enough. Certainly with the skill level that he possesses currently I don't think he'll make it here. He still just about has enough time to show more improvement and I'll be happy if he proves me wrong. However with the likes of Chicharito impressing here and Welbeck impressing at Sunderland his task is getting harder.

Garethw

Hmm I think people need to stop judging him on 2 games 2 years ago. On the face of it, he scored a couple of goals in his first 2 matches. Many players have managed the same feat. Doesn't make them all special now does it. His progress has stalled since then. I wonder if he thought he'd made it after that. Its not easy to handle success and have the spotlight suddenly on you at a young age.

At this moment I see Kiko as a decent finisher. In the last 2 years I don't think other aspects of his game have improved enough. Certainly with the skill level that he possesses currently I don't think he'll make it here. He still just about has enough time to show more improvement and I'll be happy if he proves me wrong. However with the likes of Chicharito impressing here and Welbeck impressing at Sunderland his task is getting harder.
This about perfectly sums it all up.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Christ, he's 19. His body type is like that of a RVN. What was Ruud like at 19? Some players are prodigies, usually because they have great speed. Some come into their own later as they strengthen.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
People should stop using the Sampordia loan as a barometer for his lack of progress. Rossi at the same age for Newcastle only scored 1 goal in 13 odd appearances. He is just 19 and has already shown his quality for the senior team plus his mentality is fantastic.. He deserves more time tbh and I don't think Sir Alex will let go off him easily.

charleysurf

People should stop using the Sampordia loan as a barometer for his lack of progress. Rossi at the same age for Newcastle only scored 1 goal in 13 odd appearances. He is just 19 and has already shown his quality for the senior team plus his mentality is fantastic.. He deserves more time tbh and I don't think Sir Alex will let go off him easily.
Excellent point. Rossi at Newcastle shows how a loan move can go badly wrong. Sometimes the chemistry is just wrong.

Chabon

Dude you cannot say that Macheda has been fantastic. He'd never have been sent on loan and would be pushing Berba/Chica for a starting spot if he was
First of all this is bollocks, because Danny Welbeck was also sent out on loan, and nobody would accept that as a criticism of him. Second, I said he's been an excellent sub, which is all you can ever really expect of a 19 year old. Last season he came back after his injury and made a direct impact in both the Chelsea and Spurs games. This season he did the same against Valencia and Villa, and also (as I argued at the time) was a real nuisance and a big part of the victory after coming on against Liverpool.

Again, I am myself uncertain, but you can't argue with the huge impact that Kiko has had for such a young player.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Hmm...but Rossi didn't eventually make it here now did he (The argument about selling him is for another thread). Macheda could easily do well at a lower club. He definitely has the talent for it but I'm not quite sure that its enough for a place like ours.

In any case I'm not judging him on Samp alone but from what I've seen of him since "That" day against Villa.

charleysurf

Hmm...but Rossi didn't eventually make it here now did he (The argument about selling him is for another thread). Macheda could easily do well at a lower club. He definitely has the talent for it but I'm not quite sure that its enough for a place like ours.

In any case I'm not judging him on Samp alone but from what I've seen of him since "That" day against Villa.
What kind of response is that? You can't just ignore the Rossi story because it does not fit your prejudices.

Letting Rossi go was a huge mistake. But there probablywere people saying "he's no good, he didn't score many at Newcastle" at the time even though he was only fecking 19 and was totally mismanaged.

prateik

I'd be fecking delighted if he ended up being as good as Rossi.

Kiko is very young. there was a lot of hype around him because of the 2 goals he scored when he was 17. forget that

19 year old who has the self belief, plays for the Italian U21 side, has scored 4 times in 7 games and the Boss rates him.. Sounds great to me

Minkaro

His goal to make it 2-1 against Villa (before Vidic equalised) this season was very nice too.

Maybe scoring that stunner against them in the 3-2 has heightened expectations of him a little too much. That was a glimpse of his potential, but at the moment he may be too young to produce that on a week by week basis. We need to have faith in him, and support him, in the hopes that he will be able to do things like that on a consistent basis.

It could be that he never makes it at United, and I hope that isn't the case, but at the age of 19 is not the time to be making that decision.

charleysurf

I'd be fecking delighted if he ended up being as good as Rossi.
He'll always be a different type of player to Rossi. I could see them as an excellent front two for Italy at some point in the future though.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Rossi could've easily made it here, had he been more patient. In the current team, he is possibly on par with Hernandez and is a regular for Italian National Team. So I don't know what type of point you're trying to make here.

JayWalker

Ball Spotter
Still got the blues for you.. RIP The Loner. Hull
He'll be a good player. Right now, he's not looking the part, yes, no doubt about that, but the potential is there and he's 19, if loaned out next season to the right team, he could do well.

I'd be delighted if the likes of Blackpool take him on loan for a season.

schiavone1

Rossi could've easily made it here, had he been more patient. In the current team, he is possibly on par with Hernandez and is a regular for Italian National Team. So I don't know what type of point you're trying to make here.
Regular in the Azzurri squad maybe, not the starting eleven though

Amir

Give him time. It was only a few months ago people didn't what the fuss was about with Danny Welbeck. Now many are excited about him.

Macheda should not be paying a price for the fact he did so well for us with that goal in 2009 (the other was a fluke). It was great to get such contribution from a 17 year old, but it didn't mean he was going to be maturing earlier than he is supposed to. He's still got some special talents - he's excellent in the box, he's got the sort of body that will make him hard for any defence to handle when he learns how to use it. We should give him that time rather than bury him for the fact his progress turned out not to be rushed.

It doesn't look as if the Sampdoria loan is the one that will take him a step forward. Well, let's hope the next one is. And that it takes him to an English club. That's all.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
Chievo v Sampdoria starts at 14.00.

Kiko on the bench.

His loan at Sampdoria:

13 appearances (8 subs), 523 minutes, one goal.

09/01/2011 - 13 minutes v Roma
16/01/2011 - 19 minutes v Lazio
19/01/2011 - started & 73 minutes v Udinese, scored a goal
23/01/2011 - started & 90 minutes v Juventus
26/01/2011 - started & 90 minutes v Milan
30/01/2011 - started & 56 minutes v Napoli
02/02/2011 - 26 minutes v Cagliari
05/02/2011 - 20 minutes v Udinese
13/02/2011 - 21 minutes v Bologna
16/02/2011 - started & 59 minutes v Genoa
27/02/2011 - 2 minutes v Inter
06/03/2011 - 29 minutes v Cesena
20/03/2011 - 25 minutes v Parma

Widnes

Hes gonna need to be loaned out to an english club next season.
Hopefully this experience will make him realise that now, and it's given him a taster of what his future career will be like if pushes for a move back to Italy.

MalteseRedDevil

he should have listened to the manager. he should have stayed in england. Had he had a similar peripheral role at a premier league side the loan would still have been to his benefit.

ecantona7

Whatever happens, there are always things you coul
he should have listened to the manager. he should have stayed in england. Had he had a similar peripheral role at a premier league side the loan would still have been to his benefit.
He pushed for the loan spell? If true, then it does give him perspective of what will happen if he does move on. Better to stay at united and be on the bench rather than being on the bench for a lower team. I do think that he'll be sold though, Welbeck, Cheech, Rooney and Berbatov is gonna be hard for him to break through all those guys.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He pushed for the loan spell? If true, then it does give him perspective of what will happen if he does move on. Better to stay at united and be on the bench rather than being on the bench for a lower team. I do think that he'll be sold though, Welbeck, Cheech, Rooney and Berbatov is gonna be hard for him to break through all those guys.
He was always going to be loaned, the question was where to. Fergie preferred him to stay in England, but Kiko asked to go to Italy so he could try to catch the attention of the national team coaches, and Fergie accepted that proposal. Obviously, it hasn't gone to plan as from the sounds of it Sampdoria have imploded since they've sold their best two players.

MPTutd

He was always going to be loaned, the question was where to. Fergie preferred him to stay in England, but Kiko asked to go to Italy so he could try to catch the attention of the national team coaches, and Fergie accepted that proposal. Obviously, it hasn't gone to plan as from the sounds of it Sampdoria have imploded since they've sold their best two players.
He has caught the attention of the national team coaches.

They now realise he is not good enough for a starting place at Samp, so now he has no chance of the full Italian team in the next two years.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Give him time. It was only a few months ago people didn't what the fuss was about with Danny Welbeck. Now many are excited about him.

Macheda should not be paying a price for the fact he did so well for us with that goal in 2009 (the other was a fluke). It was great to get such contribution from a 17 year old, but it didn't mean he was going to be maturing earlier than he is supposed to. He's still got some special talents - he's excellent in the box, he's got the sort of body that will make him hard for any defence to handle when he learns how to use it. We should give him that time rather than bury him for the fact his progress turned out not to be rushed.

It doesn't look as if the Sampdoria loan is the one that will take him a step forward. Well, let's hope the next one is. And that it takes him to an English club. That's all.
Great post

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Chievo v Sampdoria starts at 14.00.

Kiko on the bench.

His loan at Sampdoria:

13 appearances (8 subs), 523 minutes, one goal.

09/01/2011 - 13 minutes v Roma
16/01/2011 - 19 minutes v Lazio
19/01/2011 - started & 73 minutes v Udinese, scored a goal
23/01/2011 - started & 90 minutes v Juventus
26/01/2011 - started & 90 minutes v Milan
30/01/2011 - started & 56 minutes v Napoli
02/02/2011 - 26 minutes v Cagliari
05/02/2011 - 20 minutes v Udinese
13/02/2011 - 21 minutes v Bologna
16/02/2011 - started & 59 minutes v Genoa
27/02/2011 - 2 minutes v Inter
06/03/2011 - 29 minutes v Cesena