Felipe Anderson

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
He isn't crap though. With the exception of Martial, he's an improvement to any of our forward positions.
TBH, I haven't seen much of him. The crap part I based on recent posts, where most have stated that he's been quite poor of late.

SteveW

I don't know that much about this guy. I note he's only 22 years old though. Plenty of time to add consistency to his game.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
I don't know much about him but given many on caf are slating us signing him, I am sure it will be good signing.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He is a work in progress, but people are being predictably extreme with their criticism. I think the mood on here was very different in the summer, when perhaps it made a poster seem cooler for pulling his name out of a hat. I saw him on many people's lists of options they would like us to consider (while conversely, Mane was crap and Sane didn't exist).

I'd suspect Anderson would need time, but he also has enough ability that we may get lucky and he could surprise us from the off. We definitely need an outlet though, Mata is no winger, and Memphis is heavy legged and poor. One thing seems certain anyway, and that is that we have had a proper long look at Anderson, so if we decide to pull the trigger then I'm good with it. I still think we will add another forward over the next 8 months anyway.

dichinero

He is a work in progress, but people are being predictably extreme with their criticism. I think the mood on here was very different in the summer, when perhaps it made a poster seem cooler for pulling his name out of a hat. I saw him on many people's lists of options they would like us to consider (while conversely, Mane was crap and Sane didn't exist).

I'd suspect Anderson would need time, but he also has enough ability that we may get lucky and he could surprise us from the off. We definitely need an outlet though, Mata is no winger, and Memphis is heavy legged and poor. One thing seems certain anyway, and that is that we have had a proper long look at Anderson, so if we decide to pull the trigger then I'm good with it. I still think we will add another forward over the next 8 months anyway.
No doubt a work in progress and it's more difficult to judge players from only a handful of games. My personal opinion comes from watching him a lot this season (since we were first linked to him). I recorded many Lazio matches. I also kept an eye on the likes of Neves @ Porto, Sane @ Shalke, Tielemans @ Anderlecht etc and I can tell you that Anderson was the most underwhelming of the lot. He is quick and tricky. He can also use both feet comfortably BUT he is not impressive off the ball and his decisions are not good enough. He can be very inconsistent. He also comes across as one of those players that have one bad game and they find it hard to lift themselves, losing confidence in their true ability. Although when he is on form he can be really good and direct.
That said, how will I rate him compare with Lucas, Mane and Sane?

Sane - 7
Mane - 8
Lucas - 6
Anderson - 5.5

For the amount flying around, we should really invest in Sane, even over Mane.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
No doubt a work in progress and it's more difficult to judge players from only a handful of games. My personal opinion comes from watching him a lot this season (since we were first linked to him). I recorded many Lazio matches. I also kept an eye on the likes of Neves @ Porto, Sane @ Shalke, Tielemans @ Anderlecht etc and I can tell you that Anderson was the most underwhelming of the lot. He is quick and tricky. He can also use both feet comfortably BUT he is not impressive off the ball and his decisions are not good enough. He can be very inconsistent. He also comes across as one of those players that have one bad game and they find it hard to lift themselves, losing confidence in their true ability. Although when he is on form he can be really good and direct.

Sane - 7
Mane - 8
Lucas - 6
Anderson - 5.5

Why would Sane come here when he has the option of City or Arsenal?

Also Sane is apparently not for sale and doesn't want to leave according to their sporting director.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't know why so many people are throwing their toys out of the pram about Leroy Sane. His agent has said he isn't going anywhere, his manager, just yesterday said he doesn't want to go anywhere and isn't going anywhere.

cyberman

I don't know why so many people are throwing their toys out of the pray about Leroy Sane. His agent has said he isn't going anywhere, his manager, just yesterday said he doesn't want to go anywhere and isn't going anywhere.
It really is ridiculous. When we were linked with him it disappeared in a few posts, City are laughably linked and its the end of the world

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Remember this place when there were Rumours we were paying €80m for Martial.
Very good point. Also, with the manner in which our newer signings have played recently, I, personally, will be holding any judgements till any future signings actually play for us.

Just wait and see.

MarkC

It seems a bit short sighted signing this guy because we can't get Mane until the summer. Unless we plan on buying both.

Those saying Southampton don't want/need to sell I think it's pretty irrelevant. If we want him that badly as shown with Muller we can be persistent and do all we can to persuade them money wise. I think we'd get him.

We need guarantees at the moment of players who will come in and do well. Mane is our biggest chance of that imo.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
It seems a bit short sighted signing this guy because we can't get Mane until the summer. Unless we plan on buying both.

Those saying Southampton don't want/need to sell I think it's pretty irrelevant. If we want him that badly as shown with Muller we can be persistent and do all we can to persuade them money wise. I think we'd get him.

We need guarantees at the moment of players who will come in and do well. Mane is our biggest chance of that imo.
As shown with Muller?

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.

Not so long ago the main reactions about Mane were that he was not suitable to play for United. Months later and him single handedly destroying Chelsea he suddenly became the savior for the attacking zone. Yes, ofcourse that is what one ought to say after those type of performances, but it's does tell the story that fans just go along with the hype and change their opinions like their undies.

MarkC

As shown with Muller?
Yeah I think I realised when posting we never managed to sign him that wasn't what I said.

If we can throw blank cheques and keep coming back despite constantly being told he isn't for sale i'm pretty sure if we applied the same tactics to going for Mane we would get him.

MarkC

Not so long ago the main reactions about Mane were that he was not suitable to play for United. Months later and him single handedly destroying Chelsea he suddenly became the savior for the attacking zone. Yes, ofcourse that is what one ought to say after those type of performances, but it's does tell the story that fans just go along with the hype and change their opinions like their undies.
We've signed a lot of promising talent from abroad in the summer which so far hasn't really worked. From what I read here on Anderson he is a gamble at best. Pretty obvious when watching Mane teams in EPL can't handle him on his day. So a player who has proved they can do it or another gamble like the summer signings? Surely common sense to get the best chance of success given the reasons we are going into the market.

Not sure what Chelsea game your talking about he destroyed Chelsea last season as well not everyone decides based on one game especially against a poor Chelsea team.

Adisa

Yeah I think I realised when posting we never managed to sign him that wasn't what I said.

If we can throw blank cheques and keep coming back despite constantly being told he isn't for sale i'm pretty sure if we applied the same tactics to going for Mane we would get him.
I don't think the quoted price for Anderson is right but we can't throw blank cheques for Mane. There's a point it doesn't make sense.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
We've signed a lot of promising talent from abroad in the summer which so far hasn't really worked. From what I read here on Anderson he is a gamble at best. Pretty obvious when watching Mane teams in EPL can't handle him on his day. So a player who has proved they can do it or another gamble like the summer signings? Surely common sense to get the best chance of success given the reasons we are going into the market.

Not sure what Chelsea game your talking about he destroyed Chelsea last season as well not everyone decides based on one game especially against a poor Chelsea team.
Yes i understand the certain thought patterns one can have in trying to scrutinize these types of potential transfers, but transfers these days are like a lottery and different circumstances play a part in succeeding or not. Di Maria on paper was a world beater, but it never worked out to say the least. He had the talent, but not the environment to perform. Mane has proved he can do it for a club like Southampton (with all due respect), but playing for United exposes a player to much more media attention and fan scrutinization and in that sense it is all but a certainty that he would be a success at Old Trafford. I do agree that signing Anderson would be a gamble, but i think Martial will have a cheeky smile to those stating that you always have to go for PL proven rather then foreign potential talent.

MarkC

I don't think the quoted price for Anderson is right but we can't throw blank cheques for Mane. There's a point it doesn't make sense.
Figure of speech. If he is the player we want for the right and feel he will make the difference pay what it takes. If a club gets an offer too good to refuse they will sell. If the player may be the difference between top 4 or not then 10/15 million shouldn't be a stumbling block.

According to the Caf the general opinion is it's not our money so who cares.

prath92

if our scouts feel he is good, i would trust them. Case in point - Martial

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Sometimes I don't understand how other posters come up with their opinions on players. There's not been a great deal of talk surrounding Sane, now he's suddenly the guy we must have and it's a disaster that City may get him. I'd love to know how people form their opinions on some of these players.

I remember singing the praises of Griezmann (pre Atletico) and Douglas Costa 2 or 3 years ago, but nobody thought they were any good. Now they are the shining examples on the Caf of what we should be aiming for. Surely people need to realise that they have been wrong before and shouldn't write people off so quickly. Let's not forget that Memphis was also a 'must have' player on here.

bucky

Sane - 7
Mane - 8
Lucas - 6
Anderson - 5.5

Last season Lucas and Felipe Anderson were both easily better than Mane and Sane. I'd argue that Lucas is still the best player of that lot.

pocco

loco

There's your problem.

Adisa

Plenty of people were turning their nose up at Douglas Costa a few years ago saying he'd be a typical flop and we should stay well clear.
What a player like him would do for us now:(

bucky

I don't know much about him, but i could swear there were loads of folks in here who were clamouring for him previously.
*Raises hand*

He looked brilliant during the second part of last season and he was definitely one of the players I was hoping we would sign. Since then and watching a fair bit of Lazio, he's been disappointing and frankly players like Mane and Mahrez have improved.

MarkC

Yes i understand the certain thought patterns one can have in trying to scrutinize these types of potential transfers, but transfers these days are like a lottery and different circumstances play a part in succeeding or not. Di Maria on paper was a world beater, but it never worked out to say the least. He had the talent, but not the environment to perform. Mane has proved he can do it for a club like Southampton (with all due respect), but playing for United exposes a player to much more media attention and fan scrutinization and in that sense it is all but a certainty that he would be a success at Old Trafford. I do agree that signing Anderson would be a gamble, but i think Martial will have a cheeky smile to those stating that you always have to go for PL proven rather then foreign potential talent.
I just don't like to see us settling for second best if the reports we want Mane are true. I didn't watch much of Southampton last season but this season I have and Mane looks the type of player Old Trafford loves. I take your point it's easier doing it at Southampton but the same is true of most players coming to us.

It just worries me to see someone linked to us that makes a lot of sense to then see us paying good money for somebody else in his position when everybody says he's inconsistent and really not that great.

Touseef

Sometimes I don't understand how other posters come up with their opinions on players. There's not been a great deal of talk surrounding Sane, now he's suddenly the guy we must have and it's a disaster that City may get him. I'd love to know how people form their opinions on some of these players.

I remember singing the praises of Griezmann (pre Atletico) and Douglas Costa 2 or 3 years ago, but nobody thought they were any good. Now they are the shining examples on the Caf of what we should be aiming for. Surely people need to realise that they have been wrong before and shouldn't write people off so quickly. Let's not forget that Memphis was also a 'must have' player on here.
So what's your opinion on Anderson? Or who do you think we should sign? Genuinely asking as I dont have that much of an idea on emerging talents

dichinero

Last season Lucas and Felipe Anderson were both easily better than Mane and Sane. I'd argue that Lucas is still the best player of that lot.
Without a shadow of a doubt. Lucas is the best of the lot despite my rating so far but I doubt we have any chance of getting him tbh. His lower score is obviously down to the amount of game time he has had under his belt. He is effectively a bit part player at PSG which is understandable given that Zlatan, ADM, Cavanni will always be ahead of him. That said he has played the same number of games as Anderson and Sane. So he is still important enough not to be easily sold, not that the other ones are easy.

dichinero

Like I stated, my opinion comes from what I have watched so far this season. And professional scouts can get it wrong so can we. This is only a forum for fans, so I doubt Woodward or LvG will take any notice of what is being said here. And from what I have watched, Sane is a name I personally have been putting forward for 6 months (I only just got promoted this week) in my discussions and it's nothing to do with City. Sane did not come out of nowhere either, he is probably a bigger name in Germany than Anderson is in Italy. He is in his 2/3 season as a member of the first team despite his age and has outshone Meyer and Draxler this season IMO.

Fair enough, this is not a Anderson vs X player thread and it should be moved elsewhere.

With that said, Anderson should not be written off but I submit that Sane is the bigger talent of the two. Time will tell.

Gatti33

Mata - highest number of assists over two years at Chelsea ------> Moves to United = Crap
di Maria - shed load of assists over a few years at RM ------> Moves to United = Crap + sold
Memphis - leading goal scorer at PSV and Dutch League -----> Moves to United = Donkey
Anderson - crap -------> Moves to United = ?
Most of the above, I'd probably include martial as well, started off good and then once LVG's philosophy took effect on them and they started to play the LVG way they turned crap. Look at di Maria now! I'm sure if the others moved or LVG left they'll go back to what they used to be. Anderson will suffer the same fate under LVG if he joins.

pocco

loco
So what's your opinion on Anderson? Or who do you think we should sign? Genuinely asking as I dont have that much of an idea on emerging talents
I haven't seen much of Anderson this season but I did see him last season and I thought he was looking really good. From what I've read this season, he's had issues which have partly stemmed from our failed bid in the summer. I was impressed with his performance against Juventus last season, in particular his battle with Evra, in which we really gave Patrice a tough time. Evra had a really good season and there weren't many other players that he struggled with so much.

He looks to me like he is talented in every aspect of the game that you'd want from an attacker. He's quick, nimble, has good control and technique, good passing, can shoot very well with both feet. There's a lot there to be working with. It'd be like having a second chance with a young Nani in a way, though this time we might get more out of it. Let's not forget that Nani was an incredibly talented player, he just couldn't put it together on a regular basis. If he had then he would have been one of our best players currently.

I'd say that Anderson is as good a shout as the likes of Mane, Mahrez etc. Sane is a bit younger and is probably more of a project for the future. Looking at his stats, he's not actually played much football at all. I'd put them all in the same bracket of 'could go either way', to be honest. Throw in the likes of Brahimi from Porto to the mix also, though he is a bit older than these. With Mahrez and Mane, I'd sort of put them in the 'wait and see' bracket. Too many times we've had players performing like this for smaller teams that don't amount to much in the end. I could quite easily see Mane becoming a bit of a Bolasie type of player in the Premier Leage, an entertainer, but not somebody that one of the top teams will see enough in to take a punt. He could turn out to be better than that, but I doubt he'll ever be a top level player.

I always thought that Draxler was worth a shot, also. Sometimes I think that some players stay at these mid-level teams and stagnate, but as we saw in the case of Douglas Costa, who would have been my ideal signing last year, sometimes it just takes somebody giving them a chance for them to realise their potential. Perhaps the pressure brings out the best in them and forces them to perform, as opposed to some players that thrive as a big fish in a small pond. I could see him playing as a wide man for us in a similar fashion to what Martial has been doing.

Touseef

I haven't seen much of Anderson this season but I did see him last season and I thought he was looking really good. From what I've read this season, he's had issues which have partly stemmed from our failed bid in the summer. I was impressed with his performance against Juventus last season, in particular his battle with Evra, in which we really gave Patrice a tough time. Evra had a really good season and there weren't many other players that he struggled with so much.

He looks to me like he is talented in every aspect of the game that you'd want from an attacker. He's quick, nimble, has good control and technique, good passing, can shoot very well with both feet. There's a lot there to be working with. It'd be like having a second chance with a young Nani in a way, though this time we might get more out of it. Let's not forget that Nani was an incredibly talented player, he just couldn't put it together on a regular basis. If he had then he would have been one of our best players currently.

I'd say that Anderson is as good a shout as the likes of Mane, Mahrez etc. Sane is a bit younger and is probably more of a project for the future. Looking at his stats, he's not actually played much football at all. I'd put them all in the same bracket of 'could go either way', to be honest. Throw in the likes of Brahimi from Porto to the mix also, though he is a bit older than these. With Mahrez and Mane, I'd sort of put them in the 'wait and see' bracket. Too many times we've had players performing like this for smaller teams that don't amount to much in the end. I could quite easily see Mane becoming a bit of a Bolasie type of player in the Premier Leage, an entertainer, but not somebody that one of the top teams will see enough in to take a punt. He could turn out to be better than that, but I doubt he'll ever be a top level player.

I always thought that Draxler was worth a shot, also. Sometimes I think that some players stay at these mid-level teams and stagnate, but as we saw in the case of Douglas Costa, who would have been my ideal signing last year, sometimes it just takes somebody giving them a chance for them to realise their potential. Perhaps the pressure brings out the best in them and forces them to perform, as opposed to some players that thrive as a big fish in a small pond. I could see him playing as a wide man for us in a similar fashion to what Martial has been doing.
Cheers mate. I know Douglas costa is a prime example of realizing potential in a better setup. IF LvG gives this kid some freedom, it might just work.