g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Fellaini | Mou: "It's easier for Galatasaray to get me than Marouane. He is too important to me."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rada

He is pain-stakingly average. Tier(s) below Pogba, Herrera and Matic and on a similar level to current Carrick but him staying is not worth getting het up about when his role is merely in a squad capacity.

It's clear Mourinho's likes him and will see a use for him, so he's going to stay irrespective.
Matic is not really much better than Fellaini, he might have slightly better passing range, but that's about it

Sterling Archer

Matic is not really much better than Fellaini, he might have slightly better passing range, but that's about it
I'd honestly think more of you if you ate a turd claiming you thought it was a melted Snicker's candy bar.

beedoubleyou

I don't think he's a first choice, but an important squad player who offers something unique and contributes an important goal or two. Glad to have him.

I think his size goes against him in 50/50s but he makes some daft decisions too. He'll never change.

Rada

:lol::lol:
Do people think Matic is a Kaka in his prime compared to Fellaini? You are all in for a big surprise.

Zaid1987

:lol::lol:
Do people think Matic is a Kaka in his prime compared to Fellaini? You are all in for a big surprise.
You either seriously overrate Fellaini or seriously underrate Matic. Or you're just not being serious at all!

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I don't agree or disagree with this post but I do understand the point you (might) be addressing and I agree with that. Those saying Fellaini is a tier below Matic. That's untrue. I'm inclined to say Matic is the better overall package but Fellaini on his day can be way more useful. Arguments can be made for both as to whom really deserves a place in the squad.

Of course if you don't rate the things Fellaini is good at then you will take Matic any day of the week.

Kag

Matic is a defensive midfielder while Fellaini is not. We needed a defensive midfielder, enter Matic, and in that specific role he's considerably better than Fellaini is every aspect. Further up the pitch is a different story.

Rada

Matic is a defensive midfielder while Fellaini is not. We needed a defensive midfielder, enter Matic, and in that specific role he's considerably better than Fellaini is every aspect. Further up the pitch is a different story.
Better than every aspect you say

Matic:....................................................................................Fellaini:

You may say "LMAO LOOK, Matic made 20 more interceptions", but lets keep in mind Matic have played 1000 minutes more than Fellaini.

And stop calling me out for trolling, it's pretty pathetic honestly

evil_geko

Atrocious post, if there was a post worthy of this smiley, this is a fecking winner. :houllier:

Kag

Matic:....................................................................................Fellaini:

You may say "LMAO LOOK, Matic made 20 more interceptions", but lets keep in mind Matic have played 1000 minutes more than Fellaini.

At being a defensive midfielder, Matic is better than Fellaini at just about everything a good defensive midfielder requires. I don't need stats for that, just my eyesight.

He's quicker (just), smarter in the tackle, has greater awareness and is considerably better at distributing the ball from deep.

Where did I call you a troll? Learn to fecking read.

devips

Pathetic, indeed. Now that you have provided comparative statistics, the obsessive haters around here would refuse to look at them. I firmly believe they don't even watch actual games, because that can interfere with their pre-conceived notions.

Rada

At being a defensive midfielder, Matic is better than Fellaini at just about everything a good defensive midfielder requires. I don't need stats for that, just my eyesight.

He's quicker (just), smarter in the tackle, has greater awareness and is considerably better at distributing the ball from deep.

Where did I call you a troll? Learn to fecking read.
When the stats doesn't help my arguments i would be ignoring them aswell, just a natural thing, i completely understand.

acnumber9

Pathetic, indeed. Now that you have provided comparative statistics, the obsessive haters around here would refuse to look at them. I firmly believe they don't even watch actual games, because that can interfere with their pre-conceived notions.
I'd question the veracity of stats that say Fellaini made no mistakes that led to a goal. He gave away two penalties for starters.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
When the stats doesn't help my arguments i would be ignoring them aswell, just a natural thing, i completely understand.
If he's on Matic level or even better then why Juve and other clubs doesn't come near close him, while him having only one year of contract left ?

No wonder we're not after Fabinho while having such gem in the squad.

stevoc

That's more to do with our inabilty to send in decent crosses .

Put a decent cross in and he will deliver and has proven that plus he has a lot more skill Than given credit for .

I don't see peoples problem with him ,he isn't a starter yet doesn't complain does what he is asked to do would ruin through a brick wall if asked.Has scored and assisted some very important goals at crucial times.

Iv seen players a lot worse than him play for us since fergie left and they get none of this hate in fact some get treated like they were the second coming of Eric even as a certain couldn't give a fk German springs to mind
I don't hate Fellaini nor am i desperate for him to be sold. But he's one of those players who provokes ridiculous extreme opinions. Fellaini isn't completely crap as some claim, but on the flip side of that some feel the need to exaggerate the other way and i take issue with that sort of nonsense .

Like the post i was replying to that claimed Fellaini was one of our most important and effective attacking threats and a talent unique in world football that every manager would love to have.

GrandJury

He's a fantastic squad option to be honest. If we are a goal down or up and a team is hoofing it into the box he's great to bring on.

He also works hard and is happy to be a squad player. Why anyone would want him gone I don't know...

TsuWave

If he's on Matic level or even better then why Juve and other clubs doesn't come near close him, while him having only one year of contract left ?
this argumentation is such a crutch. clubs don't go in for every player/certain players for a multitude of reasons, it hardly proves/disproves that matic is on a different level to fellaini, not that i necessarily agree with the initial assertion, just pointing out that that argument hardly means much

i think fellaini is a terrible footballer and i've got the bubbly on ice for when we ship him out, at the same time matic was an underwhelming signing for me and he wasn't who i'd go for (hopefully he does well) so go figure...

buckooo1978

based on statistics Leon Britton was the best midfielder in Europe a few seasons ago

it's pretty obvious Matic is a superior player in that defensive midfield role - you could say Fellaini is a better number 10 but that's not why we've bought Matic

in pure footballing terms Matic is quicker, reads the game better, is a more composed footballer and is a better passer - it's clear to see

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
based on statistics Leon Britton was the best midfielder in Europe a few seasons ago

it's pretty obvious Matic is a superior player in that defensive midfield role - you could say Fellaini is a better number 10 but that's not why we've bought Matic

in pure footballing terms Matic is quicker, reads the game better, is a more composed footballer and is a better passer - it's clear to see
If there's one thing that does my head in on here, it's using stats instead of what actually happens on the pitch. I'd be inclined to think they're carefully chosen to 'prove' a point because Fellaini made 2 direct errors leading to goals last season that I can remember.

He's a fantastic squad option to be honest. If we are a goal down or up and a team is hoofing it into the box he's great to bring on.

He also works hard and is happy to be a squad player. Why anyone would want him gone I don't know...
Fantastic and great...he's neither of those things when we're down or being attacked. I wouldn't trust him to challenge for a header (or anything) in our own box.
He's better when we're not looking like conceding, but there are far better options to have in that situation too, because unless he's really on form he's pretty cack at that.

Working hard and being happy seem to be the only requirements for a United player these days. Squad option or not, he's too regular to not be better at football, for my liking.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
He's a regular Belgium international - with 75 caps and I still can't wait until we sell him.

He is a liability as proven many times in the past. If you need someone to nick a goal with 10 minutes to go then buy Peter Crouch if you want to launch it up there.

He should have been sent off many more times than he has been for elbowing and just looks a walking red card.

He got acclaim for the EL final but that was men against boys - Ajax were bullied out of it.

Sell please.

Home&Away

The greatest asset that fellaini brings on to the game is that he has to be targeted defensively by the other team. He disrupts their formation rather than necessarily making ours stronger.

When he comes on - both teams start playing with ten men; it is up to the remaining players on the pitch to come up with the goods whilst fellaini draws the opposition players.

Norris

So much Bias in this thread. You only get extremes in most of the posts. He has his uses and Mourinho knows how to make the most of them. An excellent squad player.

BarstoolProphet

I don't get this "he's effective as Plan B" argument. Shouldn't a plan B be a slight alteration instead of radically changing the entire game plan to suit one player, or is it that effective to completely change how we play just by making one sub or tactical change?

I mean, I don't mind Fellaini as a squad as he has many qualities that we could use from time to time, but I feel that the whole "hoof it to a tall player at for the last 20 mins if we're desperately chasing a goal, as it will work wonders" is a bit of a myth.

Paul_Scholes18

I am really glad we are keeping him. He has done well the last few seasons. Good mentality and spirit. Just what you want from a squad player. With Matic in he should play less which I also think is good.

Reactions: Invictus

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
I was negative about his acquisition and was very critical of his performances under Moyes and Van Gaal. I felt he wasn't good enough and didn't warrant a place at our club. I need to admit that he has improved under Mou, they seem to have good chemistry between them. So part of me says sell sell sell but i see that Mou wants him and is happy with his contribution.

Rada

If there's one thing that does my head in on here, it's using stats instead of what actually happens on the pitch. I'd be inclined to think they're carefully chosen to 'prove' a point because Fellaini made 2 direct errors leading to goals last season that I can remember.
You realise Matic actually made some errors aswell? I don't know why they both say 0, i'm not the one making up the stats, go ask the official site of premier league about that. But that fact is, stats is based on what actually happens on the pitch. You decide to ignore them because they doesn't suit you, and because i have "carefully choosen" them, you can go and find any stats to compare Fellaini and Matic with, and i'm pretty sure the outcome would be the same.

Show me the statstictics that will show me that Leon Britton is the best midfielder in Europe? I'll be waiting for that one
And i never said Matic wasn't better than Fellaini, i said he is slightly better, he is a better passer, yeah, and probably a bit quicker, but that's about it.

MILLHILLMANC

Sorry I grew up watching Bryan Robson Roy Keane and Paul Scholes. If you all think Fellaini is a 'decent squad player'then we really have drifted into mediocrity and will remain stuck 4th 5th or 6th. Would Barca Real Bayern hell Man City entertain buying Fellaini?? This thread embodies the sad demise of a great footballing team -

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...

Truth to be told, I bet a least of of those tackles came from the fact that Fellaini's first touch is rather poor.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
You realise Matic actually made some errors aswell? I don't know why they both say 0, i'm not the one making up the stats, go ask the official site of premier league about that. But that fact is, stats is based on what actually happens on the pitch. You decide to ignore them because they doesn't suit you, and because i have "carefully choosen" them, you can go and find any stats to compare Fellaini and Matic with, and i'm pretty sure the outcome would be the same.
The stats are immediately skewed anyway because we tend to be more defensive when Fellaini is on. That's boosted all his defensive stats but when you look at it closely it doesn't mean he looks better. In fact I'd say Matic looks better all round, with equal tackles won, more interceptions and more blocked shots. Fellaini has won way more aerial duels, and I'm not sure if that only counts as him winning the header or keeping possession immediately after, but we know that's bound to be a 'better' stat because of the guff football we play with him on the field. All the 'better' stats for him can be attributed to that.

Last edited:

prath92

Sorry I grew up watching Bryan Robson Roy Keane and Paul Scholes. If you all think Fellaini is a 'decent squad player'then we really have drifted into mediocrity and will remain stuck 4th 5th or 6th. Would Barca Real Bayern hell Man City entertain buying Fellaini?? This thread embodies the sad demise of a great footballing team -
Barca bought Andre Gomes and Turan, two players who aren't a lot different from fellaini.

Norris

And i never said Matic wasn't better than Fellaini, i said he is slightly better, he is a better passer, yeah, and probably a bit quicker, but that's about it.
I sort of understand where you're coming from, but there is really not much scope for comparison. Both are very different players who have different uses in the same team. It's not a case of one being preferred over the other. I'm sure Matic will start most games, but whenever Fellaini does play, there's a good chance Matic will play alongside him as well.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
He's a regular Belgium international - with 75 caps and I still can't wait until we sell him.

He is a liability as proven many times in the past. If you need someone to nick a goal with 10 minutes to go then buy Peter Crouch if you want to launch it up there.

He should have been sent off many more times than he has been for elbowing and just looks a walking red card.

He got acclaim for the EL final but that was men against boys - Ajax were bullied out of it.

Sell please.
And yet he has been regularly picked by 3 top managers who all had a special place for him in their plans.

What does that say about your view on football and Fellaini?

He is a fantastic choice as a sqaud member providing unique skills and options. I'm delighted we have him and enjoy watching his craziness when he plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.