g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Fellaini | Mou: "It's easier for Galatasaray to get me than Marouane. He is too important to me."

Status
Not open for further replies.

botond

Matic is a defensive midfielder while Fellaini is not. We needed a defensive midfielder, enter Matic, and in that specific role he's considerably better than Fellaini is every aspect. Further up the pitch is a different story.
what is Fellaini then , a nr 10 ? :lol:

Norris

Sorry I grew up watching Bryan Robson Roy Keane and Paul Scholes. If you all think Fellaini is a 'decent squad player'then we really have drifted into mediocrity and will remain stuck 4th 5th or 6th. Would Barca Real Bayern hell Man City entertain buying Fellaini?? This thread embodies the sad demise of a great footballing team -
None of the three names you mentioned were squad players. They were important first team players.

Cereal Killer

You realise Matic actually made some errors aswell? I don't know why they both say 0, i'm not the one making up the stats, go ask the official site of premier league about that. But that fact is, stats is based on what actually happens on the pitch. You decide to ignore them because they doesn't suit you, and because i have "carefully choosen" them, you can go and find any stats to compare Fellaini and Matic with, and i'm pretty sure the outcome would be the same.

Show me the statstictics that will show me that Leon Britton is the best midfielder in Europe? I'll be waiting for that one
And i never said Matic wasn't better than Fellaini, i said he is slightly better, he is a better passer, yeah, and probably a bit quicker, but that's about it.
I remember this being mentioned a few years back, something about Britton having the highest pass accuracy among all midfielders in Europe, not sure about best midfielder though.

But back to your point, it really depends on how you want to compare them. From a DM standpoint, there isn't a single list of stats in the world that would justify Fellaini being better than Nemanja. Matic has a better passing range, is calmer in possession, reads the game very well and just offers much more to the team as a whole.

I think the main issue in this case is comparing them based on stats and individual performances. Both players are being used as midfielders (even if Fellaini is often deployed as a plan B number 10 and Matic will almost always be used as a shield in front of the back four), and in my opinion the most important aspect of any midfielder is his overall contribution to the team's performance. When Fellaini is in the line up, chemistry and rhythm are practically non-existent, and it's in this sense that Matic appears to be his polar opposite. His style of play involves pulling the strings from the back and making sure that play flows efficiently and in an organised manner from back to front.

I think that's why most people on here would immediately identify Matic as the "much better player". The man just oozes class and anyone that watched the game last night (albeit a friendly) would probably agree.

Fox E Power

Fellaini IS good enough to play for you United. That's not an opinion, it's a fact borne out of 3 managers' decisions.
He has put in some shockers for the team in that time, but has also rescued games too.
I have mixed feelings towards seeing him in the matchday squad, but I think he gets a disproportionate amount of shade from our fans.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
And yet he has been regularly picked by 3 top managers who all had a special place for him in their plans.

What does that say about your view on football and Fellaini?

He is a fantastic choice as a sqaud member providing unique skills and options. I'm delighted we have him and enjoy watching his craziness when he plays.
That's fine it's your right to enjoy whoever you want. A special place being on the bench you mean?

I would rather watch someone better though.

RedPnutz

Sorry I grew up watching Bryan Robson Roy Keane and Paul Scholes. If you all think Fellaini is a 'decent squad player'then we really have drifted into mediocrity and will remain stuck 4th 5th or 6th. Would Barca Real Bayern hell Man City entertain buying Fellaini?? This thread embodies the sad demise of a great footballing team -
Robson, Keane and Scholes were not decent squad players, they were captains/first teamers integral to our midfield.

You are comparing apples and oranges. Why not compare him with other squad players, like Gibson, Djemba, Kleberson etc?

The problem with most haters in this thread is that they are talking as if Fellaini is a first teamer that the manager is going to build the team around.

He is simply an outlet for different tactics, he has more technique than people give him credit for, he puts in a good shift, doesn't complain despite the shameful treatment by fans and does what the manager wants. I mean SAF even played OShea upfront and Rooney as right back before.

Does Real, Barca, Bayern or Man City have a squad player like Fellaini who can provide something quite different from our usual tactic?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Fellaini as a person is brilliant to have in your squad as he is a great guy who despite the amount of stick he has received has never badmouthed the fans and keeps fighting for the cause and obcviously really loves the manager and would run through walls for him. He also has the type of character which allows him to rescue games which we have no right to win as he is a proper fighter and capable of scoring 5 key goals a season even off the bench.

The issue with him has been the price we paid for him which was shocking considering how much of an ill fit he is for the first team of any top european club, how much he has been overplayed in relative to his ability and the fact he is occupying a spot in the squad which could go to more talented players or potential signings... him just being there prevents us from going out there and getting a better midfielder.

I think fans would like him more if he was reduced to a bit part player, and then when he does make game changing contributions he would be appreciated more. He should basically be the 'kamikaze' option when all else is failing, whereas right now he is getting far too much minutes for a Manchester United side.

As much as he is a trier (and for gods sake he is nowhere near the class of Matic, wind your necks in idiots) there is huge limitations in terms of ability, and with him in the side, you know we're going to be in a battle to control the game in an elite manner.. and we will lack fluidity - it is a given. So I don't mind keeping him around for another year, and I hope fans will treat him with respect but in the long term he could be a starter for most EPL clubs outside the top 6 and isn't the best fit for this club.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Fellaini IS good enough to play for you United. That's not an opinion, it's a fact borne out of 3 managers' decisions.
Moyes - awful football, awful manager, awful league position.
LVG - awful football, awful league position.
Jose - has to deal with what the previous two did. I rate Jose very highly but I also think Fellaini is a bit of an easy cop out for him.

The Cat

Moyes - awful football, awful manager, awful league position.
LVG - awful football, awful league position.
Jose - has to deal with what the previous two did. I rate Jose very highly but I also think Fellaini is a bit of an easy cop out for him.
Exactly this.

Fellani isn't the spawn of Satan but he's not good enough for United and never has been - not his fault but that's the situation.

buckooo1978

Jose loves him so much that he's made sure Fellaini gets a contract extension......oh wait

Jose and the fans can't fault Fellaini's effort or attitude but his ability is lacking for what you'd expect from a Manchester United player

I think this is his last year at the club

stevoc

I don't get this "he's effective as Plan B" argument. Shouldn't a plan B be a slight alteration instead of radically changing the entire game plan to suit one player, or is it that effective to completely change how we play just by making one sub or tactical change?

I mean, I don't mind Fellaini as a squad as he has many qualities that we could use from time to time, but I feel that the whole "hoof it to a tall player at for the last 20 mins if we're desperately chasing a goal, as it will work wonders" is a bit of a myth.
It is a myth, he's came on and scored a few goals and had the odd assist fair enough. But if he's scored more than 2-3 goals and had 2-3 assists off the bench when we were chasing games i'd be very surprised. Over 4 years thats not a lot, certainly not enough to justify the amount of times we do it.

Put it like this hoofing the ball up to Fellaini when we're chasing a game has been ineffective way more than it's worked.

stevoc

He is simply an outlet for different tactics, he has more technique than people give him credit for, he puts in a good shift, doesn't complain despite the shameful treatment by fans and does what the manager wants. I mean SAF even played OShea upfront and Rooney as right back before.
Not saying it didn't but when did O'Shea play up front and Rooney play at right back?

Flying high

Robson, Keane and Scholes were not decent squad players, they were captains/first teamers integral to our midfield.

You are comparing apples and oranges. Why not compare him with other squad players, like Gibson, Djemba, Kleberson etc?

The problem with most haters in this thread is that they are talking as if Fellaini is a first teamer that the manager is going to build the team around.

Does Real, Barca, Bayern or Man City have a squad player like Fellaini who can provide something quite different from our usual tactic?
Thing is though, he might not be strictly 1st choice, but he will likely play in most of the big games.

In fact, I wouldn't be too surprised if he starts more games than Herrera this year.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Put it like this hoofing the ball up to Fellaini when we're chasing a game has been ineffective way more than it's worked.
Playing Fellaini full stop has, but it only takes one half decent performance to get his advocators going again. I can already hear the "Where are the haters now?!" when he completes 5 consecutive easy passes and doesn't elbow someone in the face in meantime.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
what is Fellaini then , a nr 10 ? :lol:
I'd say he's somewhere between an 8 and a 10. He's been tried as a 6 and just didn't work.

In general, I understand the Fellaini hate, I've also wanted him out of the club for much of the past 4 years. That said, I've developed a grudging respect for him over the last 6 months. From being booed by a large section of the crowd to being one of the key players in our European run, he's really won me over. Yes, he has clear technical limitations but he's got a great attitude and can be very effective. He's a real asset when used correctly.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Thing is though, he might not be strictly 1st choice, but he will likely play in most of the big games.

In fact, I wouldn't be too surprised if he starts more games than Herrera this year.
Bull. Matic coming in will change the dynamic completely in midfield. He'll be useful cover or a plan B.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
And yet he has been regularly picked by 3 top managers who all had a special place for him in their plans.

What does that say about your view on football and Fellaini?

He is a fantastic choice as a sqaud member providing unique skills and options. I'm delighted we have him and enjoy watching his craziness when he plays.
Do you not notice a sense of calm and enjoyment when watching United without Fellaini? Yeah he's a decent squad member but the amount of starts he gets isn't on, and only happens because we had no one better for the physical games. I expect to see him a lot less now we have Matic.

BarstoolProphet

It is a myth, he's came on and scored a few goals and had the odd assist fair enough. But if he's scored more than 2-3 goals and had 2-3 assists off the bench when we were chasing games i'd be very surprised. Over 4 years thats not a lot, certainly not enough to justify the amount of times we do it.

I was actually speaking in general. For example, just find it odd if a possession-oriented team should resort to moving a CB upfront and change to route 1 tactics if they can't score before 70 mins is played. Wouldn't a tweak to the gameplan the players are familiar with probably be more effective instead?

To keep it on-topic - I actually think Fellaini is very good at what he does, and certainly been way better than a lot (including me earlier) give him credit for, but he does slow our game down in general. So I don't want to see him playing for United because of that, not because I think he's a bad player.

The Cat

Do you not notice a sense of calm and enjoyment when watching United without Fellaini? Yeah he's a decent squad member but the amount of starts he gets isn't on, and only happens because we had no one better for the physical games. I expect to see him a lot less now we have Matic.
Let's hope so. Better football to watch too.

Smores

I usually disregard Fellaini haters as those people who moan on Facebook and football streams. I wouldn't be surprised if Fellaini is one of the most discussed players on this forum.

He isn't good enough as a starter that isn't debatable but anyone trying to say he isn't even squad level is in a world of delusion. I'm sure they hated Fletcher too.

Lets just have only the best most hyped youngsters as squad players, that'll work

RedPnutz

Well if he is starting more games then Herrera or in the big games, it simply means that Mourinho thinks he provides more value (or if there are injuries). While I don't agree with Mourinho always, I wouldn't bet against Mourinho's tactics to win games.

But that's a good thing then, if he keeps others out it would be on merit, whether or not his style is pleasing to the eye.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
this argumentation is such a crutch. clubs don't go in for every player/certain players for a multitude of reasons, it hardly proves/disproves that matic is on a different level to fellaini, not that i necessarily agree with the initial assertion, just pointing out that that argument hardly means much

i think fellaini is a terrible footballer and i've got the bubbly on ice for when we ship him out, at the same time matic was an underwhelming signing for me and he wasn't who i'd go for (hopefully he does well) so go figure...
I hope they both do well, because we're probably done with search for centre midfielders this and maybe even next summer window.

stevoc

I was actually speaking in general. For example, just find it odd if a possession-oriented team should resort to moving a CB upfront and change to route 1 tactics if they can't score before 70 mins is played. Wouldn't a tweak to the gameplan the players are familiar with probably be more effective instead?

To keep it on-topic - I actually think Fellaini is very good at what he does, and certainly been way better than a lot (including me earlier) give him credit for, but he does slow our game down in general. So I don't want to see him playing for United because of that, not because I think he's a bad player.
Mostly i would agree yes, under SAF we were probably the best team at rescuing games from losing positions. And he never radically changed his game plan, he would bring on an extra attacker/striker and just up the tempo and try to stretch teams to create openings. It was very effective.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I think he is an easy target for fans frustrations and lack of understanding of the clubs core issues. He was more reliable than Pogba last season and unfairly received disproportionate amount of blame for our many draws.

I doubt anyone is advocating a regular 1st team place for him, especially as midfield is now bolstered with addition of Pereira and Matic, but I think he will still play a key role, especially from the bench.

He is a good guy, committed to the manager who trusts him a great deal. Thats enough for me to give him my unreserved support.

botond

He's a central midfielder and his main strengths are best utilised in attacking areas. What on earth is so funny about that?

I'm spot on.
:lol:

now you are making bullshit up because you have no idea what his position is .
a midfielder used in attacking areas , what ?
he cant defend for sure for a midfielder , and the only attacking strengt he has is chesting it down and passing it sideways 5 meters , so what position is that ?

Oneunited26

You make out like fellaini is a first 11 for our team, yet the current gen are watching guys like herrera pogba and hopefully matic in our team, so Jose knows his place. He is a squad a player, nothing more, nothing less. How is it a great sad demise? when fellaini has pogba, herrera and matic above him in the pecking line, for a so called demise of a great team they have some pretty good players to use for a club in a sad demise, idiot

Well to be fair now we do have 3 outstanding CM players in pogba, herrera and matic, while the lack of depth could rip my hair out, if Pererira is taken serious by Jose and is a big part of the team, think our depth will be greater. Think PPL last season had a problem with him as he was a week in week out player mostly because we had no proper anchor man for our team. Think we do have possible depth in our engine room now with matic signed, and pererira seems to becoming a big part of the squad.

If I was going to pinpoint our main options, and our backup options it looks like this for our CM

Matic
Carrick

Pogba Herrera
fellaini Pererira

I do think snapping up matic has helped the balance and depth of the team ten fold, fellaini while would like to see a midfielder who can challenge herrera and pogba, signing matic has helped give Mourinho rotation and plans A and B for 433 and 4231, so it will be great going into big games with matic, pogba and herrera in the heart of the battle, not very often do we have a strong no6, no8 and the more complete midfielder in pogba who can play no 8 and 10. Its impossible to have quality players beyond matic, herrera and pogba, but if Pererira steps up and can fill the void when herrera has to rest or is injured, would be a huge bonus

Last edited:

NotQuiteManc

I think this is just Mou's way to do business with Gala. Saying that Fellaini is important to him, etc is just another way of saying "You have to do much better than 10 mil pal!". I remember something similar has been said about Memphis, although he did say something along "too many players playing in the same position".

It might really mean that Mou really values Fellaini, but if Gala offers more than 20 mil, I am he would at least consider it. If that happens, it might mean more new players coming :D

Kag

:lol:

now you are making bullshit up because you have no idea what his position is .
a midfielder used in attacking areas , what ?
he cant defend for sure for a midfielder , and the only attacking strengt he has is chesting it down and passing it sideways 5 meters , so what position is that ?
I'm not sure why I'm wasting my time on (you can barely string a sentence) but I'll power on.

A) Marouane Fellaini is not a defensive midfielder.
B) Marouane Fellaini's biggest strengths are best utilised in more advanced, attacking areas of the pitch.

I don't know how anybody who claims to have an interest in following Manchester United, or football for that matter, can disagree with those two statements. What, exactly, is bullshit?

I'm not entirely sure what you're even attempting to debate here. My initial post about Matic being a much better defensive midfielder than Fellaini is also true, yet you still found an issue with that for some inane reason.

Robertd0803

Not saying it didn't but when did O'Shea play up front and Rooney play at right back?
O'Shea was played up front vs Reading in the opening game of 2007/2008 in a 0-0 draw vs Reading after Rooney (?) went off injured. Didn't start there but ended up playing there during the game.

Rooney at right back most notably vs Barcelona in both CL Semis. Again not named as an actual right back but ended up there the way the game went. Plenty of other games where Rooney has ended up playing everyone except on goal due to his versatility. And even then he was going in goal vs Spurs once when Van der Sar was injured before O' Shea went in goal instead.

stevoc

O'Shea was played up front vs Reading in the opening game of 2007/2008 in a 0-0 draw vs Reading after Rooney (?) went off injured. Didn't start there but ended up playing there during the game.

Rooney at right back most notably vs Barcelona in both CL Semis. Again not named as an actual right back but ended up there the way the game went. Plenty of other games where Rooney has ended up playing everyone except on goal due to his versatility. And even then he was going in goal vs Spurs once when Van der Sar was injured before O' Shea went in goal instead.

Now that you mention it i do vaguely remember O'Shea going up front in a game.

Rooney though i'm not sure, he didn't play in the home semi in 08 as he was injured i think against Chelsea. In the away leg he did play i don't think you could really say an attacker tracking back in a tight game where we were under pressure is playing right back.

But anyway fair enough mate.

Robertd0803

Now that you mention it i do vaguely remember O'Shea going up front in a game.

Rooney though i'm not sure, he didn't play in the home semi in 08 as he was injured i think against Chelsea. In the away leg he did play i don't think you could really say an attacker tracking back in a tight game where we were under pressure is playing right back.

But anyway fair enough mate.
I completely forgot he was injured for the home leg. Yeah the intention probably wasn't for him to spend the majority of the game defending but its how it turned out :)

Im sure there was some other occasion as well where he ended up there for the majority of the game, Roma away in 2006/2007 maybe?

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I think he is an easy target for fans frustrations and lack of understanding of the clubs core issues. He was more reliable than Pogba last season and unfairly received disproportionate amount of blame for our many draws.

I doubt anyone is advocating a regular 1st team place for him, especially as midfield is now bolstered with addition of Pereira and Matic, but I think he will still play a key role, especially from the bench.

He is a good guy, committed to the manager who trusts him a great deal. Thats enough for me to give him my unreserved support.
There's a reason people direct their frustration towards him though. His first touch is poor, his passing is inconsistent, he slows down attacks, he tackles like an idiot and throws his elbows around.

Sure, I agree he's good to throw on last minute for a bit of height and aggression but he stands out like a sore thumb against quality ball playing opposition.

Rada

I remember this being mentioned a few years back, something about Britton having the highest pass accuracy among all midfielders in Europe, not sure about best midfielder though.

But back to your point, it really depends on how you want to compare them. From a DM standpoint, there isn't a single list of stats in the world that would justify Fellaini being better than Nemanja. Matic has a better passing range, is calmer in possession, reads the game very well and just offers much more to the team as a whole.

I think the main issue in this case is comparing them based on stats and individual performances. Both players are being used as midfielders (even if Fellaini is often deployed as a plan B number 10 and Matic will almost always be used as a shield in front of the back four), and in my opinion the most important aspect of any midfielder is his overall contribution to the team's performance. When Fellaini is in the line up, chemistry and rhythm are practically non-existent, and it's in this sense that Matic appears to be his polar opposite. His style of play involves pulling the strings from the back and making sure that play flows efficiently and in an organised manner from back to front.

I think that's why most people on here would immediately identify Matic as the "much better player". The man just oozes class and anyone that watched the game last night (albeit a friendly) would probably agree.
Honestly most people on here would identify any midfielder as the "much better player" because of the hate they have towards him, but i agree on he is somewhat a better player as i already said a few times now, and i agree with him having better passing abilities (Where vision, reads the game well and so is in included in that). The thing is, in all of the other attributes they are either just as good, or one is slightly better. And chemistry and rhythm isn't really non-existent when Fellaini is on, it have been non-existent for a few years now, even without Fellaini the chemistry isn't there, even in Fergies last few years there wasn't any amazing chemistry in team.

Status
Not open for further replies.