Fellaini (on his way) out? | Duncan Castles: Fellaini agrees new two year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

maniwin

Because he knows(as we all do)that the Manager has been, and will no doubt continue getting plan 'a' badly wrong and he's very much needed, and when was the last time you thought you deserved to be paid less ?
Guy can't ask for the same price to other club , not every club play hoofball.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I don't mind selling him but we've had serious issues in our team defending set pieces last season. If he was to be sold, whether it be a new CB/CB or even coaching. There needs to be something to improve this, one of the only good things Fellaini helped us in.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I wonder what makes him so delusional into thinking that he deserve to be paid more ? He is 30 years old squad player which only useful as plan B.
He is pretty much our only plan B.
I remember in the FA Cup final, we subbed off Sanchez and Lingard (I think?).
On came Rashford and Martial. It made no difference.
Had Fellaini been available, he'd have caused a completely different set of problems for CFC.
...and that my friends, is why Jose wants him to stay. Bringing him on if the game is deadlocked can completely change the game.
IMO, subbing on Martial and Fellaini on at the same time is absolutely lethal and causes the opponent to panic. 2 players who are completely opposite are now going to occupy advanced attacking positions.

stevoc

We came back from 2-0 down to win at City and Palace without Fellaini's involvement. So no i don't think you can say he's our only plan B, we actually won more games from losing positions this season without Fellaini.

Had Fellaini been available, he'd have caused a completely different set of problems for CFC.
...and that my friends, is why Jose wants him to stay. Bringing him on if the game is deadlocked can completely change the game.
IMO, subbing on Martial and Fellaini on at the same time is absolutely lethal and causes the opponent to panic. 2 players who are completely opposite are now going to occupy advanced attacking positions.
Bringing on Fellaini can change a game but only very, very rarely. The goal vs Arsenal the other week was the first time in 5 years when he's came on late in a game we were chasing and actually scored. He also has 1 assist from same circumstances.

He may well be Jose's preferred method to try to turn a game around. But it's certainly not a very effective or consistent one.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Bringing on Fellaini can change a game but only very, very rarely. The goal vs Arsenal the other week was the first time in 5 years when he's came on late in a game we were chasing and actually scored. He also has 1 assist from same circumstances.

He may well be Jose's preferred method to try to turn a game around. But it's certainly not a very effective or consistent one.
It's not just about him scoring or assisting directly. He changes the flow of the game and causes the opposition to have to cover him carefully when we get into attacking areas, which can open holes for others. I remember a number of times where bringing Fellaini on instantly got us on the front foot after a difficult period in a match. We may or may not have ended up winning those games, but bringing him on changed things which proceeded to give us a better chance of turning it around.

I haven't liked his recent comments and think it probably is better for him to move on now, but it annoys me that people go overboard with how little he has contributed to us at times.

C'est Moi Cantona

Well ain't that sad, our only hope of changing a game late on is lumping it to Fellaini & hoping for the best, tbh I'd rather just stick to plan A.

I hope he leaves so that this option is taken away, and perhaps we can come up with a better 'plan B'. It's just a lazy and ugly option, and if we rely on it then we stand no chance of evolving our playing style.

stevoc

It's not just about him scoring or assisting directly. He changes the flow of the game and causes the opposition to have to cover him carefully when we get into attacking areas, which can open holes for others. I remember a number of times where bringing Fellaini on instantly got us on the front foot after a difficult period in a match. We may or may not have ended up winning those games, but bringing him on changed things which proceeded to give us a better chance of turning it around.

I haven't liked his recent comments and think it probably is better for him to move on now, but it annoys me that people go overboard with how little he has contributed to us at times.
Do you have any examples when his introduction had a positive impact on a game mate even if Fellaini himself didn't score or assist?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Do you have any examples when his introduction had a positive impact on a game mate even if Fellaini himself didn't score or assist?
I have terrible memory for stuff like that so unfortunately can't remember which exact game or opposition they were. Convenient, I know. :wenger::annoyed:

It certainly happens. Of course, there are other times where it doesn't work, but limiting the only times it works to where he individually scores or assists is only seeing half the picture.

Kapardin

I have terrible memory for stuff like that so unfortunately can't remember which exact game or opposition they were. Convenient, I know. :wenger::annoyed:

It certainly happens. Of course, there are other times where it doesn't work, but limiting the only times it works to where he individually scores or assists is only seeing half the picture.
Most recent one was Crystal Palace when Pogba came off injured. Fellaini played very well, was MOTM.

stevoc

Well i can't remember any myself mate. I'm not saying it hasn't happened i'm sure it has the odd time. But like the times he directly scores or assists when coming on in games we are chasing its most likely a rare event.

stevoc

Most recent one was Crystal Palace when Pogba came off injured. Fellaini played very well, was MOTM.
http://www.goal.com/en/news/8/main/...ed-4-crystal-palace-0-fellaini-hits-double-as

He's had his uses and helped us as well he could, for sure. Wish him well.
Fellaini started that game mate, Pogba never came off. He wasn't involved, so i don't think thats a good example of Fellaini coming on as a sub and turning a game around.

He couldn’t get any more specific. Do you want the date?
The scenario he described never actually happened this season, thats why i'm asking him which game it was.

Red Royal

So what IS actually happening with th Big Feĺla. I mean if he us out if contract what day does he technically stop being paid his wages by United? 1st July is a date many contracts point to so does he start the World Cup a United player and end it unattached? This whole saga seems weird. Personally I don't mind if he stays but won't care too much if he is gone...just want it cleared up quick so Jose know how many midfielders he needs to bring in.

Reactions: Sultan

Kapardin

Fellaini started that game mate, Pogba never came off. He wasn't involved, so i don't think thats a good example of Fellaini coming on as a sub and turning a game around.
My bad, he came on for Pogba in the Basel game before that and scored, impacting the game. The Palace game was part of a purple patch Fellaini was going through in that time.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
We came back from 2-0 down to win at City and Palace without Fellaini's involvement.
Ah but City tend to play a bit of football so plan 'b' really isn't needed against them, or Tottenham, or Liverpool, or Arsenal, but against the rest(home or away), it's a great option to have, and he doesn't have to score or assist, just be a bloody nuisance. And he is.

AndyJ1985

Ah but City tend to play a bit of football so plan 'b' really isn't needed against them, or Tottenham, or Liverpool, or Arsenal, but against the rest(home or away), it's a great option to have, and he doesn't have to score or assist, just be a bloody nuisance. And he is.
You're arguing that we need a player to be nothing but a nuisance. fecking hell we aren't Stoke.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Would you guys rather we sign no one else through the month of June but Fellaini leaves or we sign Griezmann but Fellaini signs a new contract.

stevoc

My bad, he came on for Pogba in the Basel game before that and scored, impacting the game. The Palace game was part of a purple patch Fellaini was going through in that time.

Fair enough mate, thats one of the 4 times in his United career he's came off the bench to score in a game we were not winning. Positive impact sure, but again it's not really a great example of him turning a game around he came on after only 15 minutes or so.

But we did need a plan B mate, we played differently in the 2nd half and reaped the benefits. The way we played in the 1st half against City didn't work clearly, same with the palace game.

Yeah he's a great option to have off the bench because he's a nuisance, changes the flow of the game, causes panic or brings other intangible benefits. Or maybe his biggest strength according to many on here, that being that he's a great plan B to bring on to turn games around is actually a complete myth.

Class of 63

Sourness
You're arguing that we need a player to be nothing but a nuisance. fecking hell we aren't Stoke.
Not arguing that at all, unlike most on here I can see more to Fellaini's game than him just being a big lump we can stick up front as plan B

If we need a plan B against sides like City that play football we've got bigger problems than we think.

Class of 63

Sourness
But we did need a plan B mate, we played differently in the 2nd half and reaped the benefits. The way we played in the 1st half against City didn't work clearly, same with the palace game.

It was hardly plan B though was it ? There might have been a tweak to the system/personnel(can't remember and I cant be arsed to check), but they just played with more intensity in the 2nd-half, it probably helped them that City players must have gone off at half-time thinking the game was already won(understandably). Paul Pogba pulling his finger out for one of the rare occasions obviously helped as well.

Yeah he's a great option to have off the bench because he's a nuisance, changes the flow of the game, causes panic or brings other intangible benefits. Or maybe his biggest strength according to many on here, that being that he's a great plan B to bring on to turn games around is actually a complete myth.

Well maybe those same posters wouldn't say that about Fellaini if they didn't think it was the right thing to do(and it is) defending a player who, unless i've missed something never been a problem for the club, and always gives 110%(yeah I know), unlike some who seem to have God like status on the back of one fecking decent game.....

finneh

I don't mind selling him but we've had serious issues in our team defending set pieces last season. If he was to be sold, whether it be a new CB/CB or even coaching. There needs to be something to improve this, one of the only good things Fellaini helped us in.
The problem with Fellaini is he's more likely to give away a set piece in a dangerous position, than he is to prevent the opposition from scoring via a set piece. Ergo he's a net liability.

We'd be better off bringing on whoever isn't playing out or Bailly, Jones, Smalling, Lindelof or Rojo.

stevoc

It was hardly plan B though was it ? There might have been a tweak to the system/personnel(can't remember and I cant be arsed to check), but they just played with more intensity in the 2nd-half, it probably helped them that City players must have gone off at half-time thinking the game was already won(understandably). Paul Pogba pulling his finger out for one of the rare occasions obviously helped as well.
We upped the tempo, pushed Pogba up and started throwing players forward more. Basically we changed the way we were playing from the first half, you can call it what you like but it amounts to the same thing. Changing your tactics from something that wasn't working to something that did.

Well maybe those same posters wouldn't say that about Fellaini if they didn't think it was the right thing to do(and it is) defending a player who, unless i've missed something never been a problem for the club, and always gives 110%(yeah I know), unlike some who seem to have God like status on the back of one fecking decent game.....
No doubt some are saying it with great intentions and trying to defend Fellaini, good on them. Doesn't really change the fact they are spouting shit though, and thats the problem. If you look back over my posts i have no problem giving Fellaini praise, believe it or not i don't dislike the guy. I recognize he's a good player and can be effective if you tailor your tactics to suit his attributes in games he starts. But he's just not effective off the bench to turn a game around, there's little or no evidence to back up that he is.

Class of 63

Sourness
No doubt some are saying it with great intentions and trying to defend Fellaini, good on them. Doesn't really change the fact they are spouting shit though, and thats the problem. If you look back over my posts i have no problem giving Fellaini praise, believe it or not i don't dislike the guy. I recognize he's a good player and can be effective if you tailor your tactics to suit his attributes in games he starts. But he's just not effective off the bench to turn a game around, there's little or no evidence to back up that he is.
Which is surprising when you considering the consistently high quality of crosses he get's put straight on to his head :lol:

Anybody know what David Beckham and Arnold Muhren are doing these days ?

peridigm

Would you guys rather we sign no one else through the month of June but Fellaini leaves or we sign Griezmann but Fellaini signs a new contract.
Fellaini is not a bad player for a squad player. We should not be starting with him. If we signed Griezmann, I’d be happy with him hanging around, as a squad player. Problem is, if a starter is injured, Fellaini could easily become a starter again.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Fellaini is not a bad player for a squad player. We should not be starting with him. If we signed Griezmann, I’d be happy with him hanging around, as a squad player. Problem is, if a starter is injured, Fellaini could easily become a starter again.
If only you had just ended it there!:(

Class of 63

Sourness
Holy water. Expel the demon Fellaini.
demon1
ˈdiːmən/
noun
  1. 1.
    an evil spirit or devil, especially one thought to possess a person or act as a tormentor in hell.
    "he was possessed by an evil demon"
    synonyms: devil, fiend, evil spirit, fallen angel, cacodemon; Mor

2. 2.
    a forceful or skilful performer of a specified activity.
    "a friend of mine is a demon cook"
    synonyms: genius, wizard, expert, master, adept, virtuoso, maestro, pass master, marvel, prodigy;
Yeah, Fellaini is di man for us :lol:

prath92

No shit Sherlock. That’s how squad players work

Djorkaef

Pretty sure he will be close to MOTM vs England, as he was in Everton - Man Utd, as he was in Standard - Liverpool, his transfers always came after him dominating an opponent.

Last edited:

Dan

If he’s got any sense he’ll sign a contract with a club before the world cup starts. You don’t want to be out of contract and pick up a long term injury during the tournament.

maniwin

Against Real Madrid in Super Cup, when we brought him in , they start panicking and we start dominating the game, we scored and continue to push on after his introduction, forcing Zidane to put in more defensive player . I don't like his delusional head ( asking for more wage when he is already 30 years old ) but the fact is he is very useful in lot of situation , He is nuisance in opponent box and no defender would like to play against him , His ability to bring down the ball from awkward height is second to none, his prowess beat most footballer, he is just not suitable as starter. Watch Belgium in World Cup and you will see why every coach he played with seems to rate him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.