g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Fellaini (on his way) out? | Duncan Castles: Fellaini agrees new two year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

redIndianDevil

Uhm have you read any comments after a loss if Fellaini plays or does anything bad?

Dont try to make it sound like he doesnt get any hate here.
LOL it happens to all players after a loss, Fellaini doesn't get any special attention.

GloryHunter07

Just me who finds this hate aimed his way distasteful?

I could understand it if he had wronged the club in some way, but he's seemingly hated because he's seen as the anti-thesis to free flowing attacking football. If he had been available yesterday, there's every chance he could have made a difference in the last 20 minutes. Would it have been pretty? No. But if you think getting rid of Fellaini will solve that problem, you're kidding yourselves.
Good post

L1nk

That's nonsense. What "represents the Moyes era" is the other players' inability to produce performances that would make Fellaini a permanent bench warmer.
Read the post under yours :lol:

Psychologically I think it’s important that he goes. For me anyway :lol:.

He’s iconic of a failed era. Shit football, shit mentality, lack of success. He’s David Moyes incarnate on the football pitch.

Nothing against him. He’s got a top drawer mentality, and he’s scored some important goals. But he’s also been a hugely reductive influence on our style of play.

Replacing him with another big unit, but one that can also play a bit, a la SMS or Talisca, would be A ok for me.

stevoc

Didn't the goals that came from Niall Quinn's knock-ons come from goal kicks? The examples actually make a lot of sense:
Ok you're not making sense again mate, every team's keeper takes goal kicks Lukaku on the occasions you mentioned turned them into something. It wasn't United specifically playing long ball the way we do at times with Fellaini on the pitch.

what's longer than a ball from the GK to the CF?
Seriously mate wise up.

We used to do that under Van Gaal a lot but barely under Mourinho. Mostly we put it wide for Young to cross. See his goal against Arsenal.

Crosses aren't going direct. Young's cross for his goal against Arsenal came from about 10 yards outside of the box.
Crossing it, lumping it, long balls whatever you can argue semantics all you want mate. But the fact is as i said when Fellaini's on the pitch we go direct more, especially if were chasing a game. And yes when we abandon all other avenues of attack and keep giving Young the ball to cross from 30-40 yards away to Fellaini thats going direct.

It's amazing people are still trying to deny what is fecking obvious to anyone with eyes and a decent understanding of football.

stevoc

How naive must you be to think Fellaini is holding us back from a progressive style of football? If Jose feels it's effective to have Fellaini control long balls, that will continue after he goes.
Did you forget to quote someone mate?

The fact that we haven't played direct as much this season when Fellaini hasn't been on the pitch and Mourinho making such a big deal about him staying. Points to Mourinho probably/hopefully believing that tactic is only really viable with Fellaini.

Also i doubt anyone myself included thinks if Fellaini leaves we will instantly transform into Brazil circa 1970. But it's a step in the right direction, the comebacks against the likes of Palace and City without Fellaini give us hope at least.

Last edited:

Ban

When he leaves I wonder who'll be the new one who 'epitomizes everything that's wrong with United post Fergie.'

goober88

Ok you're not making sense again mate, every team's keeper takes goal kicks Lukaku on the occasions you mentioned turned them into something. It wasn't United specifically playing long ball the way we do at times with Fellaini on the pitch.
Except that's the exemplar of long ball football. It's what Wimbledon used to do a lot. I also recall our fans complaining when we used to kick the ball long onto Fellaini's chest from a goal-kick. Some complaint about long ball football, I think.

But the fact is as i said when Fellaini's on the pitch we go direct more, especially if were chasing a game. And yes when we abandon all other avenues of attack and keep giving Young the ball to cross from 30-40 yards away to Fellaini thats going direct.
No-one said anything about going direct. We were talking about going long.

It's amazing people are still trying to deny what is fecking obvious to anyone with eyes and a decent understanding of football.
It's amazing that some people have a problem with pushing lots of people forward and putting crosses in just because we're doing it with Fellaini. It's obvious to anyone with eyes a decent understanding of football that we've utilised that tactic before.

Anyway, I'm out of posts for the day. I've been talked to death by the more experienced members.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roboc7

Will be pleased to see him go, replace him with a midfielder who can pass the ball and it improves the squad.

He is occasionally useful as a target man but not effective enough and it is an option we use too much and too quickly.

He tried his best but he hasn’t improved or even been as good as he was for Everton. Fact he stuck around so long is a reflection of how poor the managers and other players have been for last 5 seasons.

RepardReece

Will be pleased to see him go, replace him with a midfielder who can pass the ball and it improves the squad.

He is occasionally useful as a target man but not effective enough and it is an option we use too much and too quickly.

He tried his best but he hasn’t improved or even been as good as he was for Everton. Fact he stuck around so long is a reflection of how poor the managers and other players have been for last 5 seasons.
Well said. How he's been here so long I will never know. Worst player in our team since he joined. Can we just start an outrage on social media to try to force him out, just want this confirmed already...

stevoc

Except that's the exemplar of long ball football. It's what Wimbledon used to do a lot. I also recall our fans complaining when we used to kick the ball long onto Fellaini's chest from a goal-kick. Some complaint about long ball football, I think.
Ok so goal-kicks are long ball football now. So every team ever that takes a goal kick plays long ball football yeah ok mate.

No-one said anything about going direct. We were talking about going long.
It seems you are being deliberately obtuse. In the context of a discussion about Fellaini and hoofball tactics going direct and playing it long are the same thing.

It's amazing that some people have a problem with pushing lots of people forward and putting crosses in just because we're doing it with Fellaini. It's obvious to anyone with eyes a decent understanding of football that we've utilised that tactic before.

Anyway, I'm out of posts for the day. I've been talked to death by the more experienced members.
So we only ever cross it when Fellaini's pushed up as a target man. Have you actually watched United play in the last few years?

RedDevil@84

Just me who finds this hate aimed his way distasteful?

I could understand it if he had wronged the club in some way, but he's seemingly hated because he's seen as the anti-thesis to free flowing attacking football. If he had been available yesterday, there's every chance he could have made a difference in the last 20 minutes. Would it have been pretty? No. But if you think getting rid of Fellaini will solve that problem, you're kidding yourselves.
He is not really getting hate. He is just an average player with limited use. He did some useful stuff in last 4 years.
His contract is up. People are worked up because they think he is not worth an extension, leave alone the one with same pay or bigger.

crossy1686

career ending
This place will erupt when he signs his bumper new 3 year contract on the last day.

Although I have nothing personal against Fellani, it feels like he optimises everything we've become post Fergie. Not his fault I know and slightly distasteful but Fellani is not a United player, never has been, never will be, he's a David Moyes player, and that's the problem with Fellani.

If there are infinite parallel universe's all existing at the same time, I reckon this one is still the only one where Manchester United appointed David Moyes and signed Fellani. Feels like a fever dream that just won't go away.

JMack1234

Surely he can't stay.

The club need to realise that if Fellaini turns around and signs a new deal the fanbase will go crackers. Some of them because they don't like him anyway and some of them (like me) don't like that he's obviously wanted to go and the only reason he would stay is because he wants to get a few more pounds out of us.

maniwin

I rated his skillset but he just asked 10m a year in Milan . He is overrating himself and delusional , Jose caused it

settembrini

Milan should do a kickstarter for Fellaini's contract. United fans will cover it and then some.

Marcky411

We can but only hope and wait. I really hope he leaves and that Jose doesn't get his way and that he signs another 4 year contract or something silly like that.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Fellaini has his uses coming off the bench and is not as bad all round as a lot make out. I think it’s now best for him and the club he moves on - he will always be the scapegoat at this club.

I was all for a plan b but it did get tiresome and embarrassing in certain fixtures when all we did was route 1 it for 10 minutes. Get in tidy positions and look for a cross is fine but lumping it 50 yards was poor tactically (duh, right).

Brophs

The One and Only
If Mourinho wants him to stay, I imagine it’ll happen, regardless of any negativity it attracts. But pushing the boat out for a player like Fellaini is a bit troubling, to say the least.

AgentP

It's Euros, converted to £'s it's only £8,780,163 a year, or £168,859 a week, similar to what he'll want to stay at United, so don't see what AC Milan's problem is, they're getting him for nowt
That's like 200k euros a week. Fellaini is worth a max 120k euros. He is being way too greedy as he'll anyway get a signing bonus from them. I hope Milan back out and he goes to Turkey or some other inferior league like China.

crossy1686

career ending
That's like 200k euros a week. Fellaini is worth a max 120k euros. He is being way too greedy as he'll anyway get a signing bonus from them. I hope Milan back out and he goes to Turkey or some other inferior league like China.
fecking madness. If he wants that there might be someone in China that will pay him. He's either being very ill advised or he's an absolute moron.

stevoc

To put that into perspective, the highest paid players in Serie A are Bonucci and Higuain, on €7.5M/year respectively.
Source
So if this is true he expects to be the highest paid player in the league then, interesting.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
To put that into perspective, the highest paid players in Serie A are Bonucci and Higuain, on €7.5M/year respectively.
Source
These reports from Serie A are net, aren't they? However the reported figure from Fellaini isn't, i guess. Still, i wouldn't want to pay Fellaini that amount of money for years to come. Hopefully we don't give in, despite him scoring some goals, e.g against Arsenal.

crossy1686

career ending
These reports from Serie A are net, aren't they? However the reported figure from Fellaini isn't, i guess. Still, i wouldn't want to pay Fellaini that amount of money for years to come. Hopefully we don't give in, despite him scoring some goals, e.g against Arsenal.
Think we can see now why our contract negotiations have stalled. If he thinks he should be paid that much then he's daft. I think we'd much rather him walk out on a free than go anywhere near paying him that amount over 3 years, it would also mean Jose was on borrowed time, and as much as he likes Fellani, he isn't about to put his job at risk thanks to him.

Also think Ed has been burnt once with the Moyes/Rooney situation, don't think he'll let it happen again.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Even though I don’t mind him, think he’s a useful tool at times and think it’ll be expensive to replace him, I also can’t help but think it’ll be some sort of watershed moment for us.

Like we’re properly shaking off the Moyes era and moving on.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I'm definitely less keen to see him leave than most, and I'm happy to see him leave because of this contract debacle as much as anything else.

But I really don't understand why he's seen as some jester who can't play football to save his life? He's clearly extremely useful. It's not even debatable. I think it's largely due to his association with the Moyes 'era' but it's still a bit ridiculous to me.

Having said that, at least seeing him leave may force us to buck our ideas up in the final 3rd and perhaps come up with something more aesthetically pleasing. And if it's the difference between signing one new central midfielder or two new ones (don't even understand why Fellaini is still seen as a CM but anyway), then I'm all for it.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Think we can see now why our contract negotiations have stalled. If he thinks he should be paid that much then he's daft. I think we'd much rather him walk out on a free than go anywhere near paying him that amount over 3 years, it would also mean Jose was on borrowed time, and as much as he likes Fellani, he isn't about to put his job at risk thanks to him.

Also think Ed has been burnt once with the Moyes/Rooney situation, don't think he'll let it happen again.
The wage structure at United has to be immense, otherwise it's inexplicable how he's come up with the idea that he's worth up to 190k/week. Sure he's here for a couple of seasons now, worked hard to earn some respect and goals. Mourinho seems to genuinely warm to him, always mentioning his impact and attitude, maybe that's why Fellaini thinks he's too good for his own good these days.

But even Mourinho must acknowledge to himself that sneaking a goal here and there with Fellaini and constantly hoofing the ball towards him leads us nowhere. I'm starting to wonder how Mourinho's powerpoint presentation looked like when he had his job interview. Finally United did only extend Mourinho's contract for 2 years or so, they're keeping their cards close to themselves, not the worst strategy, i guess.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Source
My God, how do they survive !?

Don't know how true it is these days, but in years gone by, the players partners(Wives/Girlfriends/Boyfriends)would also be on the books to do part-time work at the Club(Secretarial/Admin etc) and be on higher wages than the actual players

Status
Not open for further replies.