Fergie's obsession with picking old players in midfield

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
'Fergie's obsession with picking old players in midfield' has us top of the league and comfortably into last 16 of Europe, with a full squad getting game time.

nuff said.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
'Fergie's obsession with picking old players in midfield' has us top of the league and comfortably into last 16 of Europe, with a full squad getting game time.

nuff said.
Does every side at the top of the league have no problems whatsoever? It's clear that these selections have caused problems in recent weeks, so people will naturally discuss them. Your top red attitude is insufferable at times. Not everyone who makes a criticism is slating the team mindlessly. You have to learn to understand that.

Platato

Psst!
Of course there wouldn't have been so many complaints. Of course there wouldn't. But I don't think the club really give a shit. Their job is to get 3 points, which they did. They tried to get 3 points without having to use certain players and it didn't work, so they changed it and it worked.

The point is there wasn't a cast iron need to start that game with those players, because we won the game doing it a different way, comfortable in the knowledge that at any point they could just bring on players to make a difference that otherwise they might not have needed.

City, Liverpool, Spuds etc I agree it needed to be different. It just happens that against QPR I'm not so arsed about leaving a couple of players out of the starting line up and putting them on the bench instead.
I understand but this shouldn't mean we play an imbalanced side.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think Bebe was a shit signing.

Oh wait, that could mean I don't have faith in Fergie.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I believe in SAF so am a 'top red'.

Diddums, Im gutted.
No, it's not that. It's your mindless belief that everything with our team is absolutely perfect and that no critical discussion should be allowed at all. Our older players aren't up to the task of starting every game, so shouldn't be. People, in turn, will talk about that. What part of that do you find hard to understand?

ricky-romeo

it took gary neville just 2 games to realize that he is not up to the mark anymore. i love giggs and scholes but i just hope they can at least think of the club first and foremost now. while scholes is at least still capable of making one or two breathtaking match changing passes that matters, giggs is fast turning into a passenger these days.

maybe this summer would be the perfect time for both of our great legendary midfielders to turn to coaching, and the gaffer to give more playing time to the likes of cleverley, anderson and powell and also sign one or two top class midfielders as well.

Drainy

No, it's not that. It's your mindless belief that everything with our team is absolutely perfect and that no critical discussion should be allowed at all. Our older players aren't up to the task of starting every game, so shouldn't be. People, in turn, will talk about that. What part of that do you find hard to understand?
You clearly don't want us to win and/or are as thick as pig shit

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Does every side at the top of the league have no problems whatsoever? It's clear that these selections have caused problems in recent weeks, so people will naturally discuss them. Your top red attitude is insufferable at times. Not everyone who makes a criticism is slating the team mindlessly. You have to learn to understand that.
its hard to see the wood between the tree's.

but I take your point. Of course we can improve. And I'm sure we will.

But the majority of debate here this season depresses me. It smacks of fans who think we are entitled to win, despite facing mosneyballs we can cant compete with.

All things considered Im delighted. Respectfully, i wont apologise if posters cant handle that opinion. They have their opinions happily posted, I'll post mine. I cant help it if the facts support my opinion.

Platato

Psst!

nuff said.
Funny you say that mate. Yes they were a big influence in the games against Chelsea, Arsenal, Braga (home and away), Cluj, Galatasaray (home) ,Newcastle away, and Fulham (home). You're being thick and it's increasingly annoying. What kind of gimp repeatedly quotes himself with smilies in the matchday thread just to show how 'right' he is?

Ash_G

They're not picking themselves though, it's fergies choice. That's the annoying part, both have plenty to offer but instead of being used as insurance or coming in for easier games they're starting important games and are getting at least equal time with other you get midfielders who need the time more. And both are being asked to do more work than they realistically can. As an impact player or as part of a 3 giggs can still produce, playing centre mid though is not a best showcase of his talent. And we're not even trying to adjust the team to suit them or allow for them.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
its hard to see the wood between the tree's.

but I take your point. Of course we can improve. And I'm sure we will.

But the majority of debate here this season depresses me. It smacks of fans who think we are entitled to win, despite facing mosneyballs we can cant compete with.

All things considered Im delighted. Respectfully, i wont apologise if posters cant handle that opinion. They have their opinions happily posted, I'll post mine. I cant help it if the facts support my opinion.
I understand that you're happy with how we've played; I generally am too as we're top of the league, but people are discussing problems which do exist and they're allowed to do so without showing entitlement to win. It's not about apologising for an opinion; it's that you don't even have that many. It's just that everything is perfect, Fergie is perfect and stop moaning.

Fergie is incredible, but he makes mistakes. Everyone does. If you think he makes a mistake, you are allowed to post saying so without being obnoxious and spoiled.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
i find this hard to understand because it says our manager, who makes the decisions I support and is even more invested than I: according to this post, SAF has his head buried in the sand.

Sorry, but thats a royal :houllier: (And im being polite)

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
I understand that you're happy with how we've played; I generally am too as we're top of the league, but people are discussing problems which do exist and they're allowed to do so without showing entitlement to win. It's not about apologising for an opinion; it's that you don't even have that many. It's just that everything is perfect, Fergie is perfect and stop moaning.

Fergie is incredible, but he makes mistakes. Everyone does. If you think he makes a mistake, you are allowed to post saying so without being obnoxious and spoiled.
I honestly understand your point, but the extent of moaning, considering we are top, is too much.

Everything isn't perfect, but they are going pretty well. If anything, be happy that we do have as many problems as we do and are still competing.

If I was an opposition fan looking at this forum, of a team top of the league with so much recent success, I honestly would think 'what a bunch of spolied bastards'. It's all fecking doom and gloom and walls and walls of text banging on about ACC and how SAF is mad.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Funny you say that mate. Yes they were a big influence in the games against Chelsea, Arsenal, Braga (home and away), Cluj, Galatasaray (home) ,Newcastle away, and Fulham (home). You're being thick and it's increasingly annoying. What kind of gimp repeatedly quotes himself with smilies in the matchday thread just to show how 'right' he is?
erm ..... maybe because I am when all you gimps were wrong. Tough to take i know

Oh feck it, I happy we won today, delighted Fletcher scored the winner. you guys depress me hell with 'your opinions' ... enjoy those between yourselves. Im going out to enjoy saturday night.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I honestly understand your point, but the extent of moaning, considering we are top, is too much.

Everything isn't perfect, but they are going pretty well. If anything, be happy that we do have as many problems as we do and are still competing.
It is too much. I agree with you, and some threads, like the 3 defeats being unacceptable one, ignoring our 9 wins which is the most in the league, was way over the top, but if it's a reasonable one with reasonable complaints then there's nothing wrong with it. This is a reasonable thread with reasonable complaints about the team, so there's no need for Sammsky (Mr Top Red) to march in and act in a condescending manner to those voicing their genuine concerns about the team.

Ludens the Red

i find this hard to understand because it says our manager, who makes the decisions I support, is even more invsted than I.

So according to this post, SAF has his head buried in the sand.

Sorry, but thats a royal :houllier: (And im being polite)
Nope I didnt say our manager, I said you, you sammsky1 have your head buried in the sand. I've seen you, in other non related football threads have your head buried in sand too. It's a recurring theme.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It is too much. I agree with you, and some threads, like the 3 defeats being unacceptable one, ignoring our 9 wins which is the most in the league, was way over the top, but if it's a reasonable one with reasonable complaints then there's nothing wrong with it. This is a reasonable thread with reasonable complaints about the team, so there's no need for Sammsky (Mr Top Red) to march in and act in a condescending manner to those voicing their genuine concerns about the team.
There is if threads are full of crap. Have your views, just dont get so uppity when those disagree.

Happily SAF is at home enjoying his bottle of wine and im off too to enjoy my evening!

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Nope I didnt say our manager, I said you, you sammsky1 have your head buried in the sand. I've seen you, in other non related football threads have your head buried in sand too. It's a recurring theme.
didumms.

Thanks for that "LeRoy". Good luck to you.

Ash_G

So are you saying that fergie is infallible in his decisions? I don't get what your point is. Yes we're top and that's great, we could also be 2nd tomorrow and had we played differently this season could be a few points clear. We can't control other teams results but we can control ours to a degree and so far I don't think anyone could say that we haven't picked some odd teams at times and haven't started enough games with intensity. We don't expect to win every game but questioning some of the selection choices is perfectly reasonable. End of the day we have two elder plays who can't play certain roles as good as they could and definitely don't need the experience and we also have two elder players who can improve and do need the experience but are being marginalised somewhat by the elder players.

Fergus' son

The concerns are reasonable, but they are raised in the most frustrating and annoying way possible. It's all agendas and 'I told you so's' now.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
It's a bit rich though, when it's those on the opposite side that are throwing their toys out and getting a bit personal with the jibes.

TheBest

SPNTBP
only at times?

Ryan's Beard

Probably doesn't have a career as a comedian
I don't know why wanting us to be better is seen as so ludicrous. Yes we're top of the league and staging comebacks and things but when did it become unacceptable to say "it would be better if..."

That's the foundation United's built on, trying to be better all the time, what's the point of saying "Well we're just about top, good enough for me!!!". Yes it's nice that we're top and overall I'm not overly unhappy with this season but if anyone can't see that we could be doing better in matches then they're either blind or really, really, very stupid.

Fergus' son

Just realised we have a much tougher game midweek, maybe there was a reason why Anderson and Cleverley were rested? Christmas period always has to be manged well. I'm quite confident we won't have players burning out come the end f the season a la City last year.

Platato

Psst!
erm ..... maybe because I am when all you gimps were wrong. Tough to take i know

Oh feck it, I happy we won today, delighted Fletcher scored the winner. you guys depress me hell with 'your opinions' ... enjoy those between yourselves. Im going out to enjoy saturday night.
You're fecking thick mate and I dont understand why. Wrong about what? You said nothing in response to the various games I outlined where we didn't rely on Giggs and Scholes. You act like I'm sitting here unhappy when really I'm delighted with the win but also recognizing the issues we have when we choose unbalanced lineups.

For some reason, you have a hard time understanding people can be happy about the result and criticize the performance at the same time.

You lack any sort of critical thought and it's bemusing. I saw what you said and were only partially right but you go on as if you got it completely right. Why do you even care if you're right? Every week you do this. Consistently avoiding the negatives and failing to understand why people are complaining.

I'm going to enjoy my saturday night as well. Like this forum has anything to do with how I choose to enjoy my evenings.

Solskjaer20

I hardly ever post on here, but reading through some posts it seems some folk are underestimating sir Alex's squad management.. maybe he's just holding Anderson and Cleverley back for now waiting to unleash them during the second half of the season when their energy will be vital in carrying us to the end of the season without fading away like an overused Silva did at the end of last season for example.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
I hardly ever post on here, but reading through some posts it seems some folk are underestimating sir Alex's squad management.. maybe he's just holding Anderson and Cleverley back for now waiting to unleash them during the second half of the season when their energy will be vital in carrying us to the end of the season without fading away like an overused Silva did at the end of last season for example.
Isn't it so obvious? Of course it is. Well done, Solskjaer20!

The only point I would add to your point is that Fergie understands that Ando is still not fit enough for a full 90+ minutes. It may take another month or two before Ando can reach that level of fitness.

Fergus' son

Way too sensible.

RK

I thought Sir Alex got it spot on today.

Scholes is at his best controlling the game whilst trying to break down weaker teams at Old Trafford. He just wasn't at his best today, despite still controlling the game somewhat when in possession.

Had Anderson started, would he have had the same impact as he did? Probably not - he was fresh and the opposition weren't.

Sir Alex made the right changes at about the right time. If there are any problems with the team, it's the lack of early dynamism. This is something the team has to overcome as a whole and isn't changed by one individual selection.

RK

At the end of the day, posters that are complaining are getting frustrated, disgruntled and somewhat aggressive over something they will never be able to do anything about.

Just support the team and enjoy the ride. It took us to a good place today.

Platato

Psst!
I thought Sir Alex got it spot on today.

Scholes is at his best controlling the game whilst trying to break down weaker teams at Old Trafford. He just wasn't at his best today, despite still controlling the game somewhat when in possession.

Had Anderson started, would he have had the same impact as he did? Probably not - he was fresh and the opposition weren't.

Sir Alex made the right changes at about the right time. If there are any problems with the team, it's the lack of early dynamism. This is something the team has to overcome as a whole and isn't changed by one individual selection.
And it isn't helped by starting Scholes. This being patient malarkey isn't really doing much for us. The times we have started well, Scholes and Giggs haven't been in the team. Is that a coincidence? I think not

Platato

Psst!
At the end of the day, posters that are complaining are getting frustrated, disgruntled and somewhat aggressive over something they will never be able to do anything about.

Just support the team and enjoy the ride. It took us to a good place today.
So we shouldn't complain? Being happy doesn't change anything either. It's a point of discussion. We're on a forum, how is it not going to be discussed?

If I was at OT today, I would be supporting the team and doing what I can to help the team get back in the game. It's the least I and any other supporter can do. After the match, does it mean I don't recognize a poor first half performance because I 'can't do anything about it'? No. I don't see why we should avoid issues that have been present all season.

RK

So we shouldn't complain? Being happy doesn't change anything either. It's a point of discussion. We're on a forum, how is it not going to be discussed?

If I was at OT today, I would be supporting the team and doing what I can to help the team get back in the game. It's the least I and any other supporter can do. After the match, does it mean I don't recognize a poor first half performance because I 'can't do anything about it'? No. I don't see why we should avoid issues that have been present all season.
OK, have fun. I was just offering advice.

In my experience, the happier people in life are not those that focus on the negatives.

Ash_G

That's a fair enough but it's arguably costing us points now, and very likely meaning that we're having too work much harder over 90 mins that we would need to if we got the job done in 60 mins with a more energetic team. Also secondly with neither clev or ando being hugely experienced, particularly clev who has played few games with us in the league it might be good to see what he can do now and get him settled rather than when the big games start coming where atm it looks like Scholes will be burnt out and we'll have to rely on clev/ando whether they've settled or now. Fergie is clearly the main man and has much better knowledge than us but atm some of the choices are questionable.

Fergus' son

That's a fair enough but it's arguably costing us points now, and very likely meaning that we're having too work much harder over 90 mins that we would need to if we got the job done in 60 mins with a more energetic team. Also secondly with neither clev or ando being hugely experienced, particularly clev who has played few games with us in the league it might be good to see what he can do now and get him settled rather than when the big games start coming where atm it looks like Scholes will be burnt out and we'll have to rely on clev/ando whether they've settled or now. Fergie is clearly the main man and has much better knowledge than us but atm some of the choices are questionable.
Theres a few ifs and buts that SAF is better placed to make a decision on than us, and I think it's important to realise this.

Should we play Anderson a lot now or later? It seems like SAF thinks later, and we will have to trust his judgement.