Gaming FIFA 21

Adcuth

Down on Dpad and then left. Make sure you turn it off when you win the ball as it has cooldown so you can’t keep it on all game.
Give it a try like. Can't even seem to beat a man now. Yet my tackles either kiss or he still keeps the ball. Was whacking teams last week and won like 7 of the 10 games in season and now I can't beat anyone

Adcuth

Drew one, luckily. Going back to fifa 20. fecking bullshit this. The team press didn't do too much and then wouldn't work. Yet he was doing it all game

Adcuth

Can't even b3at a man with fecking mbappe. Shite this game. Ruined it

Adcuth

fecks wrong here, went to play a pass to the bottom wing and he played the ball forward. Now that's not even me being shit at the game

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
How do I do that. Currently 2-0 down against the same team as me. Acres of space for him
Okay firstly mate, i have previously been rubbish on previous FIFAs defensively, your current experience sounds like my normal one too, however i have been playing really well of late and i have been playing 442 too. It's all about your two centre mids

Keep your fullbacks on stay back, keep your defensive DM on stay back, aggressive interceptions and cover center. Keep your other centre mid on default but add aggressive interceptions and cover centre too.

Secondly, DO NOT select your centre backs unless the striker has received the ball and is running past you in the penalty box. Other than that, control your CDM (mine is fabinho and partnered with Thiago who is on Shadow chem). And just select between the two CMs to press the opposition. Let them pass it around you, if they pass to the winger then select the full back and just show them down to the corner flag until they pass back to midfield. Eventually they will make a mistake.

Thirdly, Sprint Jockey with your CDM or CM into the tackle, never press circle unless its desperate. Just be calm, shield your centre backs and keep flicking between your CMs to press the attackers. You can occasionally use R1 to call a second teammate to press too but this pulls your CBs out of position.

Also, in your position, i would personally avoid pressing. It will pull your defence out even more and likely leave you exposed like you are. When the attackers are running at your defence, just select your cdm and try and get him back. The attackers will continue to pass it to each other in the hope you will move your centre back. Just play calmer.

Lastly, always assume the attacker wants to cut back for an easy pass. So always show them to the byline, don't commit and think you can nick a tackle with circle, just jockey or sprint jockey until you get near them and can bump into them. Once you get to a stage you are getting close enough to make challenges on them consistently then you are getting better at defending and can start gambling with a circle tackle when you get near enough with the jockey.

Adcuth

Okay firstly mate, i have previously been rubbish on previous FIFAs defensively, your current experience sounds like my normal one too, however i have been playing really well of late and i have been playing 442 too. It's all about your two centre mids

Keep your fullbacks on stay back, keep your defensive DM on stay back, aggressive interceptions and cover center. Keep your other centre mid on default but add aggressive interceptions and cover centre too.

Secondly, DO NOT select your centre backs unless the striker has received the ball and is running past you in the penalty box. Other than that, control your CDM (mine is fabinho and partnered with Thiago who is on Shadow chem). And just select between the two CMs to press the opposition. Let them pass it around you, if they pass to the winger then select the full back and just show them down to the corner flag until they pass back to midfield. Eventually they will make a mistake.

Thirdly, Sprint Jockey with your CDM or CM into the tackle, never press circle unless its desperate. Just be calm, shield your centre backs and keep flicking between your CMs to press the attackers. You can occasionally use R1 to call a second teammate to press too but this pulls your CBs out of position.

Also, in your position, i would personally avoid pressing. It will pull your defence out even more and likely leave you exposed like you are. When the attackers are running at your defence, just select your cdm and try and get him back. The attackers will continue to pass it to each other in the hope you will move your centre back. Just play calmer.

Lastly, always assume the attacker wants to cut back for an easy pass. So always show them to the byline, don't commit and think you can nick a tackle with circle, just jockey or sprint jockey until you get near them and can bump into them. Once you get to a stage you are getting close enough to make challenges on them consistently then you are getting better at defending and can start gambling with a circle tackle when you get near enough with the jockey.
That's class cheers mate. Will have ago tomorrow. Got told off by the wife for almost breaking the tele

Acole9

Outstanding
Does anyone have problems with club anthems? Mine never seems to play.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
You just need every player to be fast, its shite but just how it is.
It's nowhere near as big a requirement (well atleast with defenders) as it use to be.

I remember back in FIFA 2013 I use to have Jakub Blaszczykowski doing the 100 metres constantly and it use to cause utter choas now if you want to leave defenders for dead you need to be a little more selective with the timing of runs.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
It's nowhere near as big a requirement (well atleast with defenders) as it use to be.

I remember back in FIFA 2013 I use to have Jakub Blaszczykowski doing the 100 metres constantly and it use to cause utter choas now if you want to leave defenders for dead you need to be a little more selective with the timing of runs.
Not sure I agree, the AI is worse this year than I can remember in defence. Rapid players can literally just spring right through the centre of teams. Varane has proven to be the best CB I've used on UT and its purely because he has 82 pace so can somewhat keep up.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Not sure I agree, the AI is worse this year than I can remember in defence. Rapid players can literally just spring right through the centre of teams. Varane has proven to be the best CB I've used on UT and its purely because he has 82 pace so can somewhat keep up.
Fifa 13-15 were pretty insane when it came to pace. Though this year pace is definitely more important than it has been over the last couple years. Like you said if you have a slow CB you’re going to find it hard in UT.

Even outside of defense you have players like Iñaki Williams and Rodrigo being much more effective than the likes of lewndowski.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I played one guy today who beat me 5-3.
Now I know I'm not the best defensively, but again, 3 of his goals came from Douglas Costa.

Runs at my defence, I made what I consider a decent challenge, but nope, he seems to use is back foot to drag the ball through the challenge, leaving him in a 1v1 situation to just roll it in the net.

Now I know my challenge is successful because I have control of the ball for that split second, but it's not enough time to do anything with it before he just bundles into me

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I’ve created a young blonde hairedmanager on career mode. He appears for press conferences, for post match interviews etc. But during contract negotiations for either new players or contract renewals for existing players my manager changes appearance to an old bald headed fat guy!
What the feck is going on :lol:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I’ve created a young blonde hairedmanager on career mode. He appears for press conferences, for post match interviews etc. But during contract negotiations for either new players or contract renewals for existing players my manager changes appearance to an old bald headed fat guy!
Exactly the same has happened to me, it was okay for the first season then it defaulted to that appearance you described for both managers.

Speaking of career mode, both Thiago Silva and David Luiz are retiring at the end of my next season, anyone know how I'll be able to work out which regen is which?

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Give it a try like. Can't even seem to beat a man now. Yet my tackles either kiss or he still keeps the ball. Was whacking teams last week and won like 7 of the 10 games in season and now I can't beat anyone
Drew one, luckily. Going back to fifa 20. fecking bullshit this. The team press didn't do too much and then wouldn't work. Yet he was doing it all game
Can't even b3at a man with fecking mbappe. Shite this game. Ruined it
fecks wrong here, went to play a pass to the bottom wing and he played the ball forward. Now that's not even me being shit at the game
:lol: The struggles of man.

Acole9

Outstanding
On my ultimate team I have Bielsa as manager, since the update there's been him and some guy who looks identical to him but with football boots, shorts and a weird looking shirt :lol:

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I'm fecking shit at this game :lol:
As much as it is me, I just cannot find balance in the games I play.

If I go defensive with Cover defence, my attack is none existent.
If I go attacking my defence is all over the place and out of position, yet attacking I'm not too bad..

It's weird, I could throw about 20 problems in here but it's just absolutely pointless as I've no idea where to start

Acole9

Outstanding
I've played a couple of online games so far, seem to have plenty of chances and score goals but defensively leak goals. One person I played against wasn't a good player but everytime Ansu Fati got the ball he cut through my defence like a knife through butter.

TrustInJanuzaj

The more i read in here the more I realise just how shite the game is this year. Can't believe there are some posters saying its the best one in years, come on now...

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

If I go attacking my defence is all over the place and out of position, yet attacking I'm not too bad..

It's weird, I could throw about 20 problems in here but it's just absolutely pointless as I've no idea where to start
Are you playing career or online?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
The more i read in here the more I realise just how shite the game is this year. Can't believe there are some posters saying its the best one in years, come on now...
It’s definitely better than 20 and 19. I can’t remember enough about 18 individually to comment

TrustInJanuzaj

It’s definitely better than 20 and 19. I can’t remember enough about 18 individually to comment
I only played 20 for a couple of months at the end of the cycle and even then only on career mode. Haven't touched career yet this year but playing the AI on squad battles is terrible so I'm not feeling too confident. The issue is this year the collision system is fundamentally broken and the defending AI seems like its lept back to 2010.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I've stopped playing for now. Having youth players with no torso whilst holding red cards just ruins the realism a bit for me.

Dan_F

Mate don’t worry I was exactly the same about 2 weeks ago. I’ve played about 70 games since (don’t judge, I had a week off work). From what I’ve experienced:

Play two CMs, both set to stay back, both aggressively intercept and cover centre. keep RB/LB as stay back. If you want them to go forward in the game, just play a 1-2. I started with 4222, but finding 4231 very good now

Just play with balanced instructions and defend narrow. This should help with through balls. If you want to press in game, just use the attacking instructions and team press. This is quite OP if the other player doesn’t expect it, but it’s risky.

Don’t use the standing tackle unless you’re 100% going to win the ball. It’s basically useless, in previous games you could use it to shoulder barge when running alongside an opponent, this year it just makes you stop running. Apparently the L2 trigger does this, but I haven’t figured this out properly.

Try and cut passing lanes with the midfield, but most importantly, pull the defenders back towards your own goal, rather than towards an attacker. It’ll help you gain a head start on a through ball, otherwise you’ll be left for dead. Don’t chase attackers running laterally with the centre back, switch to the other centre back, or your spare CB will just stand there like a complete spanner and let the man run across him.

In the words of everyone’s favourite Twitter account...Hope this helps.

Shark

@NotShark
Never mind how shite the gameplay is. I don't get how people can put up with the poor optimization on top of it. The lag online is painful and low fps to go with it on current gen consoles just makes it worse. I'd hope that the PS5/Xbox SX versions improves on those things at least but not holding my breath because EA are disgracefully lazy and incompetent.

TrustInJanuzaj

Never mind how shite the gameplay is. I don't get how people can put up with the poor optimization in top of it. The lag online is painful and low fps to go with it on current gen consoles just makes it worse. I'd hope that the PS5/Xbox SX versions improves on those things at least but not holding my breath because EA are disgracefully lazy and incompetent.
Yeh agreed, I pay for ridiculously fast Wifi and even then its still lagging, all but confirms that its EA servers yet again... I really hope the next gen versions are an upgrade but I have to say I have zero faith in EA when it comes to that.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I only played 20 for a couple of months at the end of the cycle and even then only on career mode. Haven't touched career yet this year but playing the AI on squad battles is terrible so I'm not feeling too confident. The issue is this year the collision system is fundamentally broken and the defending AI seems like its lept back to 2010.
I never play the AI so cant comment, I hate playing them. I initially didn’t like that your AI defending was so bad but it’s grown on me as it helps with the skill gap widening. Does have some stupid moments though. My big problems with this version is that it encourages one way of playing over all else, moving the hall vertically as fast as you can, as opposed to other methods. Other ways are still possible but just not as effective. Makes 90% of players fairly pointless. And of course the continued ignoring of clubs which is essentially the same as it was a decade ago.

The cesspit known as online :lol:
Tactics are pretty essential on this one mate (Sadly and sweatily). Most people play with two CDMs and full backs on stay back as it’s a nightmare To get results without it, even for people who are really good players.

I play a different tactic to most (4-1-2-1-2 narrow) but it’s just as sweaty. I clog the middle with cbs and cms and use my fullbacks as pseudo wingers.

pascell

Exactly the same has happened to me, it was okay for the first season then it defaulted to that appearance you described for both managers.

Speaking of career mode, both Thiago Silva and David Luiz are retiring at the end of my next season, anyone know how I'll be able to work out which regen is which?
On my ultimate team I have Bielsa as manager, since the update there's been him and some guy who looks identical to him but with football boots, shorts and a weird looking shirt :lol:
I've stopped playing for now. Having youth players with no torso whilst holding red cards just ruins the realism a bit for me.
I look on the fifa reddit page and this seems to be a common occurrence, that guy appears twice for one guy in the same screen :lol:

TrustInJanuzaj

I never play the AI so cant comment, I hate playing them. I initially didn’t like that your AI defending was so bad but it’s grown on me as it helps with the skill gap widening. Does have some stupid moments though. My big problems with this version is that it encourages one way of playing over all else, moving the hall vertically as fast as you can, as opposed to other methods. Other ways are still possible but just not as effective. Makes 90% of players fairly pointless. And of course the continued ignoring of clubs which is essentially the same as it was a decade ago.
I just don't see the skill gap really. I think the only people who would say that are those that are great at exploiting the game and while I guess that's a skill, it doesn't feel like it used to where I could tell I was playing someone genuinely amazing. For me, the fact you can no longer be too aggressive with your interceptions takes a massive amount of skill away. What's always made me a good player is being a step ahead of my opponent so they would turn over possession quicker, in this game the passing is too crisp and accurate from all angles, ai doesn't press which means you ultimately have to only defend in one method. The collision system is broken so you can no longer use a big, strong guy to out-compete and instead you have to rely on pure pace which is a massive detraction. Overall, it's just become some much more arcadey to the point where the game no longer resembles anything like real football.

Chief123

Next game, beat 6-4. Can't escape his press, sometimes 2 players on me yet he has loads of space to work in. AI for the wing backs was bringing them inside and leaving space on the wings and never cuttimg passing lakes, basically trying to press on my own. 1 through ball is all they need. How the feck do i fix this. It's ruining the game for me
The key to this Fifa really is about individual ability to defend mate. Manually getting your defender and dealing with a one on one situation. My strength is defending on Fifa and I can keep a clean sheet quite often so it definitely is the key to stopping the goals.

3 things most important to defending

- Jockey, Jockey, Jockey (using sprint in tandem. Letting go of sprint when you are near opponent)
- Stand tackle but you have to wait for the opportunity when the ball gets away from the player or a heavy touch
- Player switching. This is so important as your switching really needs to be on point. You want to be able to switch to the player most nearest ball as quick as possible waiting for that next opportunity to jockey and then pounce.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I just don't see the skill gap really. I think the only people who would say that are those that are great at exploiting the game and while I guess that's a skill, it doesn't feel like it used to where I could tell I was playing someone genuinely amazing. For me, the fact you can no longer be too aggressive with your interceptions takes a massive amount of skill away. What's always made me a good player is being a step ahead of my opponent so they would turn over possession quicker, in this game the passing is too crisp and accurate from all angles, ai doesn't press which means you ultimately have to only defend in one method. The collision system is broken so you can no longer use a big, strong guy to out-compete and instead you have to rely on pure pace which is a massive detraction. Overall, it's just become some much more arcadey to the point where the game no longer resembles anything like real football.
I disagree with the first point, I actually argued against @Eddy_JukeZ early on in this thread that the skill gap had been reduced, but I definitely disagree after a month of playing. wholeheartedly agree with the second. I’m in general a fairly poor defensive player on Fifa, mainly due to preferring clubs so never getting enough time in working on defensive aspects. This fifa with lockdown meaning no work I’ve had a lot more time to round out my skill set, outside of the very best players I’m confident with my defensive ability of swamping the opposition and not allowing them clear chances, while playing a very high line with aggressive defending. Manual defending with good use of right stick player switching highlights any gaps. AI does press and it’s pretty op (though can be exploited) you just have to turn it on using the dpad.

The game is very arcadey. I like to play a certain way but the game definitely funnels you down a definite path if you want to compete with the best, which is moving the ball from back to front as fast as humanly possible. In UT this makes a lot of players defunct and certain cards incredibly overused, so you end up facing the same teams over and over. They need to find a way of making sure that pace isn’t everything.

TrustInJanuzaj

I disagree with the first point, I actually argued against @Eddy_JukeZ early on in this thread that the skill gap had been reduced, but I definitely disagree after a month of playing. wholeheartedly agree with the second. I’m in general a fairly poor defensive player on Fifa, mainly due to preferring clubs so never getting enough time in working on defensive aspects. This fifa with lockdown meaning no work I’ve had a lot more time to round out my skill set, outside of the very best players I’m confident with my defensive ability of swamping the opposition and not allowing them clear chances, while playing a very high line with aggressive defending. Manual defending with good use of right stick player switching highlights any gaps. AI does press and it’s pretty op (though can be exploited) you just have to turn it on using the dpad.

The game is very arcadey. I like to play a certain way but the game definitely funnels you down a definite path if you want to compete with the best, which is moving the ball from back to front as fast as humanly possible. In UT this makes a lot of players defunct and certain cards incredibly overused, so you end up facing the same teams over and over. They need to find a way of making sure that pace isn’t everything.
Yeh maybe it’s just the fact that it’s not really playing to my strengths, having said that I’ll still win more than I lose but I remember back on Fifa 14 being able to beat the top players on Ultimate team with my starter team, you have absolutely no chance of doing that this year. The top players are too quick, strong and good at dribbling to stop with anything other than your own elite players, I’m not a fan of that at all. I’ve also always been a good defender on Fifa till this year so I’m absolutely certain it’s nothing to do with existing skill. I just think it’s fundamentally a shite game however, I still enjoy it for what it is and have played more ultimate team this year helped by the coop factor which is nice.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
In the words of everyone’s favourite Twitter account...Hope this helps.
To be honest, the frustrating thing about my side is it just feels it does the exact opposite from the opponents.
So what I mean by that is, a lot of my through balls seem to work as a through ball, but instead of putting my striker through on goal it either:
A. Works as a standard pass, the only difference is my striker has his body facing goal, rather than turning his back to goal to collect the pass, but he's never clear of a defender, so I never gain an advantage from it
B. My guy decides to pass completely the wrong side of the striker so I'm basically playing a through ball to the defender

My timing is clearly off with these, and maybe I just don't trust the through ball enough, but the way people feed a pass through my defence like they're not there and their runner doesn't get picked up by my defence just baffles me, but again, maybe I just don't trust my players as I'd never even have the audacity to play they passing as they seem they'd never pay off, especially when what I'd consider an easy pass never works.

In defence, I've actually improved a bit but two things that get me a lot.
1. Winning the tackle but them still coming out with the ball running forward leaving my with no hope but a keeper save.
2. Sometimes trusting my defenders to do their job, yet they just stand off the striker as he runs passed them in a straight line through on goal

That being said, my first weekend league, I got my 14 wins with 2 games to spare
That was my goal considering I've not played Fifa in 2 years

Cloud7

I haven't bought Fifa since 19. Seems like the general consensus is that this year is crap. I suppose I'll give this one a miss and get 22 next year on the Ps5.