Gaming FIFA 21

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Thread seems dead this year.
Anyway, I skipped Fifa 20, but a few mates got it on PC this year so decided, and regretfully picked it up.

I'm really struggling this year. (I don't tend to play a lot of Fifa)
My defending is admittedly atrocious at times, especially when people use skill moves, I just get done every time.

But here's a few things that seem out of my control which are really pissing me off.
1. I win perfectly time balls, but somehow momentum mean the striker carries on with it and my defender is just stood there.
2. When I try and use the defenders strength, players seem to shrug it off very easy, feel like I'm not doing something right

Now, going forward, I really need to learn some skill moves, that's obvious, but
1. Players run at me in straight lines, and feck knows why, but my passing lanes are always closed down, yet every man is marked, so I have zero options
2. Again, I need to learn skill moves, but when I stop, turn left or right, the defenders just easily disposes me, yet in defence I cannot get near anyone :lol:

Admittedly, I think that might be in part with me trying to play fast build up.

All in all, this game is fecking wank, as I knew it should be, and should not be in the entertainment section of this forum!

RedDevilRoshi

:lol: Same shite as every year by the sound of it, so happy I gave it a miss.
Me too. 1st FIFA I haven’t bought in years and no surprise hearing that it’s the same old shit like it’s predecessors.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Anyway, I skipped Fifa 20, but a few mates got it on PC this year so decided, and regretfully picked it up.

My defending is admittedly atrocious at times, especially when people use skill moves, I just get done every time.

But here's a few things that seem out of my control which are really pissing me off.
1. I win perfectly time balls, but somehow momentum mean the striker carries on with it and my defender is just stood there.
2. When I try and use the defenders strength, players seem to shrug it off very easy, feel like I'm not doing something right

Now, going forward, I really need to learn some skill moves, that's obvious, but
1. Players run at me in straight lines, and feck knows why, but my passing lanes are always closed down, yet every man is marked, so I have zero options
2. Again, I need to learn skill moves, but when I stop, turn left or right, the defenders just easily disposes me, yet in defence I cannot get near anyone :lol:

All in all, this game is fecking wank, as I knew it should be, and should not be in the entertainment section of this forum!
Honestly, it's a terrible game that doesn't resemble football at all so the first thing you need to do is stop trying to play football and just stick with the same boring meta as everyone else.

I was going through a pretty poor run of form and experiencing plenty of defeats but what has helped massively for me is slowing down my build up. I recommend choosing a formation with a tight midfield, preferably with 1 or 2 defensive midfielders which helps cut out the passing lanes. Get midfielders who have decent pace and can dribble and then when they receive the ball instead of popping it off first time, or trying the spectacular through ball over the top, instead just stand on the ball for a couple of seconds doing some general twisting and turning and you'll often find that gaps open up because the AI is completely useless. You kind of have to force yourself to take more possession and be less direct than the game wants you to be.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Has there been a patch to help defending this week?
every game of weekend league this week I’ve played against people defending with 6 and only controlling the 2 CDM’s, same as last year but it wasn’t very effective the first month of this game.
Literally having the most boring weekend league ever. 15-1 but every game is even more tedious than normal, will see if I can be bothered finishing the 30 games.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Has there been a patch to help defending this week?
every game of weekend league this week I’ve played against people defending with 6 and only controlling the 2 CDM’s, same as last year but it wasn’t very effective the first month of this game.
Literally having the most boring weekend league ever. 15-1 but every game is even more tedious than normal, will see if I can be bothered finishing the 30 games.
Yeah. The game has degenerated into 4 attackers making "random" spastic movements with the ball, hoping to bluff their opponent or some BS to happen in front of 2 dms trying to mirror these spastic movements 2 inches in front of their 1 depth, 1 with back four. The games I win are a chore, the games I lose make me question why I bother.

Dan_F

Yeah. The game has degenerated into 4 attackers making "random" spastic movements with the ball, hoping to bluff their opponent or some BS to happen in front of 2 dms trying to mirror these spastic movements 2 inches in front of their 1 depth, 1 with back four. The games I win are a chore, the games I lose make me question why I bother.
Genuinely laughed out loud at this. After switching from Fifa 19 straight to 21, I’ve spent the first week of games wondering why they’ve made a game where you can just rotate the joystick in different directions and walk through the defence.

The only way I can win games is to mirror what you’ve said and sit two DM’s infront of four defenders. I just get played straight through and concede seven a game otherwise.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I’m playing on legendary mode with career mode and last night I beat Tranmere in the FA Cup 8-7! Defending is broken beyond belief in this Stupid fecking game.

Utter dog shite!

JP77

L2/LT usually. It gives a ridiculous strength boost or whatever they want to call it this year. Press it when going into the player and it should help.

Online is still the same as what it has been for a while now, completely reliant on unrealistic over powered skill moves that 90% of the online people spam and abuse (can't be surprised when the game continues to be made the way it is though). It's like they can never find a balance in the middle. Last year and this year is a classic case. Last year, crossing was almost non existent because it was terrible. Now they've changed it and it's completely over powered, especially the low driven cross.

Eddy_JukeZ

Anyone feel the latest patch has killed the game? Feels like a huge step back for me. I honestly think we’re back to running about with the CDM and letting the AI do everything else stage of Fifa 20.
It is a step back.

Albeit, I still find the game an improvement over 20.

But the patch was disappointing for a lot of reasons.

AaronRedDevil

Ah the yearly patch happened? Yeah this is how it start nows. That way it gets worse throughout the year, making you desperate to buy the next fifa because it couldn't be worse then Fifa21. Around the circle we go.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
It is a step back.

It’s killed it for me again. Went 27-3 last two weekend leagues and this one was 10x more of a grind due to everyone just running with CDM’s, not got the motivation to do it again I think. Defending was great at the start, they need to stop catering to the people crying about it being too hard.

LonelyFire

It is a step back.

Seems the latest patch is even worse although I’ve not played yet. I agree it’s better than 20 but we’ve massively regressed in comparison to where we were at launch.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
It feels like the latest patch brought back some of the animation that past FIFAs had, which is very disappointing. What's also concerning is how the pace feels quicker than before. As usual, FIFA regress back to the norm as time passes. It wouldn't surprise me if the final patch makes the game play like FIFA 20 at the end.

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
After playing FUT since it came out in 2009, I’ve finally packed my first icon. 85 Vidic from a tradeable rare mega pack from an SBC :drool:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Is there any reason why Ziyech's OTW card hasn't upgraded to an 86 yet despite his TOTW selection?

AaronRedDevil

Who ever came up with the idea of not being able to negotiate a contract after a few months in manager mode is a fecking moron.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
After playing FUT since it came out in 2009, I’ve finally packed my first icon. 85 Vidic from a tradeable rare mega pack from an SBC :drool:
Congrats mate. Nice pull. My best pull was Neymar in a tradeable pack early in Fifa 19 and later on that edition Mid Gullit in a Mid Icon SBC. Since then, nothing short of pain and misery pack wise.

Adcuth

Can someone help me please. Im not the best at playing this online. Got promoted a couple of times in the online seasons. Won the title both times. But I got to div 7 and now I can't defend. Im getting opened up constantly. Yet everyone can pressure me into a mistake proper foot my head in. They've made the defending far to hard on this game. Lost all 10 games in a row and got relegated

Jacko21

Can someone help me please. Im not the best at playing this online. Got promoted a couple of times in the online seasons. Won the title both times. But I got to div 7 and now I can't defend. Im getting opened up constantly. Yet everyone can pressure me into a mistake proper foot my head in. They've made the defending far to hard on this game. Lost all 10 games in a row and got relegated
What formation are you playing?

If you haven't already, try putting your full backs on Stay Back While Attacking and set a CDM to Drop Between Defenders and Cut Passing Lanes. This should make you more defensively solid. Unless of course you're playing a high risk (high reward!) strategy of a high line and aggressive press.

When it comes to defending, let the AI do the work by keeping your shape as best you can. If you're manually taking players out of position you're going to leave gaps.

Adcuth

What formation are you playing?

If you haven't already, try putting your full backs on Stay Back While Attacking and set a CDM to Drop Between Defenders and Cut Passing Lanes. This should make you more defensively solid. Unless of course you're playing a high risk (high reward!) strategy of a high line and aggressive press.

When it comes to defending, let the AI do the work by keeping your shape as best you can. If you're manually taking players out of position you're going to leave gaps.
Standard 442 with one of the cms staying back while i attack. Both wing backs are set to stay back too but I just get opened up constantly ive tried using the right analogue stick to move a player to cut the passing lanes but he just goes another route. The AI doesn't seem to help out. They just pass it through and they're clear on goal.

I was sound on the old fifa. Not sure if tbere is a specific tactic that's good for someone who can't defend on this game though. Didn't have these issues on 20

Jacko21

Standard 442 with one of the cms staying back while i attack. Both wing backs are set to stay back too but I just get opened up constantly ive tried using the right analogue stick to move a player to cut the passing lanes but he just goes another route. The AI doesn't seem to help out. They just pass it through and they're clear on goal.

I was sound on the old fifa. Not sure if tbere is a specific tactic that's good for someone who can't defend on this game though. Didn't have these issues on 20
Using Drop Between Defenders can make a big difference, but you'll need a formation that uses CDM as opposed to CM. I alternate between 433 Defend and 4231.

Maybe also try and get your wingers to Come Back on Defence.

One way to really preserve your shape is to go with Drop Back defensive style with a lower depth. But you'll concede quite a bit of possession and you have to be good on the counter to make it work.

Adcuth

Using Drop Between Defenders can make a big difference, but you'll need a formation that uses CDM as opposed to CM. I alternate between 433 Defend and 4231.

Maybe also try and get your wingers to Come Back on Defence.

One way to really preserve your shape is to go with Drop Back defensive style with a lower depth. But you'll concede quite a bit of possession and you have to be good on the counter to make it work.
I'll give it a Try cheers mate.

Edit. First game 4-4. Still conceding too many. Keeper pushed 2 straight into their strikers path

Last edited:

TrustInJanuzaj

I've had my mate give me 1.7 million coins so now my ultimate team is unreal. It's nice to finally be able to compete with decent teams/players.

Adcuth

Next game, beat 6-4. Can't escape his press, sometimes 2 players on me yet he has loads of space to work in. AI for the wing backs was bringing them inside and leaving space on the wings and never cuttimg passing lakes, basically trying to press on my own. 1 through ball is all they need. How the feck do i fix this. It's ruining the game for me

Bojan11

Next game, beat 6-4. Can't escape his press, sometimes 2 players on me yet he has loads of space to work in. AI for the wing backs was bringing them inside and leaving space on the wings and never cuttimg passing lakes, basically trying to press on my own. 1 through ball is all they need. How the feck do i fix this. It's ruining the game for me
If you getting done by through balls then lower your depth in the tactics. What’s your current depth?

But really you should be switching to cbs and running back if there is a through ball pass on before the pass has even been played to give you a extra yard on the attacker.

Adcuth

If you getting done by through balls then lower your depth in the tactics. What’s your current depth?

But really you should be switching to cbs and running back if there is a through ball pass on before the pass has even been played to give you a extra yard on the attacker.
Was on 4, lowered it to 3 sl2nd half and same story. Tried switching to a CB buy the player I was on does nothing and he has all the time he wants to pick a different option

Bojan11

Was on 4, lowered it to 3 sl2nd half and same story. Tried switching to a CB buy the player I was on does nothing and he has all the time he wants to pick a different option
Honestly I would just lower it to 1 till you get better at controlling the CBs. You might be inviting pressure which is the main problem with playing 1depth, but when you feel more comfortable than raise it back to 3.

Put your RB and LB as stay back while attacking too. One CDM as cut passing lanes and cover centre.

TrustInJanuzaj

You just need every player to be fast, its shite but just how it is.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I'm just trading and aiming for players I want to play with (Puskas is the goal). Currently rocking Tuanzebe and AWB as CB pairing and it's actually really fun.

The patch has fully ruined a very good game. Take me back to early access. I played my first WL this weekend just gone and I got silver 1 - and I was trying. I'm a div 3, Gold 2 player usually, some absolutely mental things were happening in my games. I think you've gotta not take it too seriously, you'll end up tearing your hair out trying to explain the gameplay.

Bojan11

Also use team press. It’s the most overpowered and broken thing in the game, so take advantage of it.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I quite like a high depth, around 7 but
Is vital otherwise you’ll end up getting rinsed. I like to give the opponent a lot of room to run into so that I can mop them up. Atm I’m using a 4-1-2-1-2 narrow, with the cdm and one cm acting almost as pseudo CBs. To compensate for the lack of wingers I have my fullbacks on overlap, the spare cm making attacking runs, the cam on stay forward and the two strikers get in behind, defensive style pressure on heavy touch. I’m thinking of self relegating though because my rewards have been awful and every game just devolves into sweaty crap.

You just need every player to be fast, its shite but just how it is.
Sadly true

Adcuth

Also use team press. It’s the most overpowered and broken thing in the game, so take advantage of it.
How do I do that. Currently 2-0 down against the same team as me. Acres of space for him

Bojan11

How do I do that. Currently 2-0 down against the same team as me. Acres of space for him
Down on Dpad and then left. Make sure you turn it off when you win the ball as it has cooldown so you can’t keep it on all game.