Fifa World XI

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
They're releasing shortlists for each category every few days.

Goalkeepers and defenders are already out.

Goalkeepers

Gianluigi Buffon (Italy, Juventus); Iker Casillas (Spain, Real Madrid); Petr Cech (Czech Republic, Chelsea); Joe Hart (England, Manchester City); Manuel Neuer (Germany, Bayern Munich).

Defenders

Jordi Alba (Spain, Barcelona); Gareth Bale (Wales, Tottenham Hotspur); Giorgio Chiellini (Italy, Juventus); Ashley Cole (England, Chelsea); Dani Alves (Brazil, Barcelona); David Luiz (Brazil, Chelsea); Patrice Evra (France, Manchester United); Rio Ferdinand (England, Manchester United); Mats Hummels (Germany, Borussia Dortmund); Branislav Ivanovic (Serbia, Chelsea); Vincent Kompany (Belgium, Manchester City); Philipp Lahm (Germany, Bayern Munich), Marcelo (Brazil, Real Madrid); Javier Mascherano (Argentina, Barcelona); Pepe (Portugal, Real Madrid); Gerard Piqué (Spain, Barcelona); Carles Puyol (Spain, Barcelona); Sergio Ramos (Spain, Real Madrid); John Terry (England, Chelsea); Thiago Silva (Brazil, Paris St-Germain).

Midfielders

Xabi Alonso (Spain / Real Madrid), Sergio Busquets (Spain / FC Barcelona), Cesc Fabregas (Spain / FC Barcelona), Steven Gerrard (England / Liverpool), Eden Hazard (Belgium / Chelsea), Andres Iniesta (Spain / FC Barcelona), Frank Lampard (England / Chelsea), Luka Modric (Croatia / Real Madrid), Mesut Özil (Germany / Real Madrid), Andrea Pirlo (Italy / Juventus), Franck Ribery (France / Bayern Munich), David Silva (Spain / Manchester City), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Germany / Bayern Munich), Yaya Touré (Ivory Coast / Manchester City), Xavi Hernandez (Spain / FC Barcelona)

Attackers

Sergio Aguero (Argentina, Manchester City); Mario Balotelli (Italy, Manchester City); Karim Benzema (France, Real Madrid); Edinson Cavani (Uruguay, Napoli); Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal, Real Madrid); Didier Drogba (Côte d'Ivoire, Shanghai Shenua); Samuel Etoo (Cameroon, Anzhi Makhachkala); Falcao (Colombia, Atletico Madrid); Mario Gomez (Germany, Bayern Munich); Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden, Paris St-Germain); Lionel Messi (Argentina, Barcelona); Neymar (Brazil, Santos); Wayne Rooney (England, Manchester United); Luis Suarez (Uruguay, Liverpool); Robin van Persie (Netherlands, Manchester United).

I'll update the OP as all the shortlists are out but it should be fun to make up our own and discuss some bizarre selections.

Luiz being there is retarded no matter if they did win the CL or not.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
As I mentioned in the other thread. Gareth fecking Bale?

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Bale a defender :houllier:

Pretty sure Terry has been selected every year they have done it.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Luiz, Evra, Puyol & Terry should not be there. Also, Bale is not a defender.

Revan

Assumptionman
Why don't FIFA start watching a little football before they make such lists.

Gareth Bale hasn't played in defence for years.

David Luiz is the worst center defender I have ever seen in a big club.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Aye, playing the predictor is difficult as i know what team i'd like but i can tell Pique or Ramos will be on it even though i don't want to pick them.

Buffon

Lahm-Chiellini-Hummels-Alba

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Pique should be nowhere near it. Not a big fan of Ramos but winning the league with Madrid and the Euros with Spain might make it hard to leave him out. Kompany should be there, he was incredible last season.

Revan

Assumptionman
Aye, playing the predictor is difficult as i know what team i'd like but i can tell Pique or Ramos will be on it even though i don't want to pick them.

Buffon

Lahm-Chiellini-Hummels-Alba
Chiellini is by far the worst of Juventus first team center defenders. Barzagli and Bonucci have been much better than him.

Anyway I would have go with something like:

Casillas

Lahm Thiago Kompany Alba

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
>2012
>Bale being a defender
>Pick one

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Evra is on that list due to him playing for United and reputation bases on past form more than anything current unfortunately.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Chiellini is by far the worst of Juventus first team center defenders. Barzagli and Bonucci have been much better than him.

Casillas

Lahm Thiago Kompany Alba
I like him and i think he has a better chance of being in it than Kompany. I think Kompany not playing in the Euros will go against him.

Baxter

Casillas

Lahm Thiago Kompany Alba
Disagree. Could have a case for Barzagli, but not Bonucci. Think Chiellini gets a bit of a raw deal because he's a thug.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
They're nearly all there based on old reputations. Luiz is there on a reputation he doesn't even have.

Skorenzy

Giorgio Chiellini, Jordi Alba and Sergio Ramos have all had a brilliant season and a half, for both club and country. Kompany has dropped off remarkably compared to last season, but still... Maybe him or Hummels for the 4th spot. Keeper, either Casillas or Buffon. Cech was great in the CL, but nothing special in the league or for the Czech NT.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Who is actually responsible for the names on the shortlist? Journalists? Fellow players?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Kompany has been so poor this season that he doesn't deserve to be chosen. Not if this is chosen by calendar year. Not seen a single good performance from him. Evident by them keeping 4 clean sheets in 19 games despite often playing with 5 at the back and/or 2 defensive midfielders much of the time.
Shortlisted sure but he shouldn't make the final cut.

Casillas
Ivanovic - Thiago Silva - Hummels - Marcelo

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
How on earth is David Luiz in there? Have these people ever watched football before? :lol:

Pique, Puyol, Terry...these are all completely retarded inclusions that you generally become accustomed to in such lists, but having Luiz is another level of spackery altogether.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Even though some choices like Terry, Evra etc are all terrible, you can see that they're there on reputation at least. There's some form of excuse, even if it is terrible. Luiz though? It's just...:lol:

Varun

Staff
Such a stupid list :lol:

Dont FIFA atleast have someone who watches matches?

Cina

Surprised so few are selecting Ramos. He has been excellent this year.

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
There's probably about 10 suitable candidates and the rest are there on reputation/hype to make up the numbers.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Surprised so few are selecting Ramos. He has been excellent this year.
This. I had very strong reservations about him playing as a CB but he has been really brilliant in that position this year, both for club and country. I'd actually definitely pick him as one of my 2 CBs, and I'd hesitate between Pepe and Kompany for the other. At his best, Kompany is the better of the two I think, but he's had a dip in form this season (I think the award is for the calendar year) and Pepe was very good at the Euros as well.