Gaming Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth (PS5)

Woodzy

Seeing how full of life and populated the areas are in this game makes me wish Nintendo would do something similar with Ocarina of Time.

pacifictheme

Yes. That's when the game stepped up a level for me.

The atmosphere, introduction of some people, the soundtrack, the combat and story
all picked up from an already very good place.
I agree. Just finished the story of this section and it was great. Also some decent side quests with one ending in a very funny way.

This is such a good game so far.

Adamsk7

I’ve got Remake but haven’t played it yet and want to get this after. Question - is Materia still a thing and can you put it in weapons for upgrades like the original? That was one of my favourite mechanics as well as the party swapping. If neither of those things are in the new ones I’m not sure how much fun I’ll have.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Even though i don't plan to play the game personally, i'm surprised to hear that it's not selling as well as hoped. 92 on Metacritic is pretty special for an FF game, and even with all the timeline/ pseudo-sequel nonsense, it still should be a big seller. Maybe the exclusivity stuff is harming it?
That, and I think the genre is just not as popular these days?

Final fantasy has also produced a few duds over the years which can't have helped.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I’ve got Remake but haven’t played it yet and want to get this after. Question - is Materia still a thing and can you put it in weapons for upgrades like the original? That was one of my favourite mechanics as well as the party swapping. If neither of those things are in the new ones I’m not sure how much fun I’ll have.
Yeah, that's still there in pretty much the exact same way and there's quite a lot of new materia. Always running out of Slots.

the characters are all way more unique in this though. Very distinct playing styles between them all (and all awesome).

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Even though i don't plan to play the game personally, i'm surprised to hear that it's not selling as well as hoped. 92 on Metacritic is pretty special for an FF game, and even with all the timeline/ pseudo-sequel nonsense, it still should be a big seller. Maybe the exclusivity stuff is harming it?
I think you should play it. I had reservations about the timeline stuff but it's a brilliant game. They've done it justice.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Ifrit? Took me a while last night but you get there!
Yeah that's the one, got it now though. On match point he takes so many turns... First time I got through it I punched with the wrong arm :lol:

Raw

What is your default party? I'm always going with Cloud, Tifa & Barrett. Just feels like the most balanced combo for me. Tend to swap in Yuffie every now and then.

I find that I'm barely using Aerith, I don't think her playing style has clicked with me as much as it did in Remake.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
What is your default party? I'm always going with Cloud, Tifa & Barrett. Just feels like the most balanced combo for me. Tend to swap in Yuffie every now and then.

I find that I'm barely using Aerith, I don't think her playing style has clicked with me as much as it did in Remake.
Yeah I’ve found Aerith hard to use and don’t really enjoy using her.

Cloud, Tifa Barret is my preferred too. Tifa because she’s powerful and can hugely increase stagger and Barret for his range. Everyone is fun to use though (bar the flower girl).

jasT1981

Just finished 7 for the first time, so moving on to rebirth demo (to get the demo items for full game)

Really enjoyed 7. Cloud, Barret & Tifa was my prefered combo.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Aerith with her wards is awesome. Put an ATB ward on barret and your entire party has full atb bars all the time.

caid

I like Aerith but only when i have MP to burn. Trying to be economic when playing her is a bit of a drag, though some of her later skills help.
I'm finding myself going for Cloud, Tifa, Barret a lot too. Red XIII has enough utility to have his moments but his voice acting is doing my head in. Yuffie is pretty good, Barret just feels a bit overpowered nearly and kind of outshines her a bit. Tifa is too good against bosses to go without.

padr81

Supports
Man City

Cloud, Aerith and Barrett but I enjoy playing them all and swap the party to what I felt would be story relevant or area relevant cause I'm a nerd.
You kinda have to keep Barrett in there for flying enemies I feel and Cloud is locked. I'd be very surpised to see any party thats not either your combo or mine. The only times I've struggled in combat is without Barrett.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Reading some of these early clueless posts given how great this has turned out to be. :lol:
I am absolutely clueless as I’m a FF newbie really. Will see if it is actually great when I play it (probably in 2025).

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Cloud, Tifa and Yuffie for me. Yuffie is so fun to play as.

Moby

Dick
Yeah the combat with Yuffie in Remake was awesome so I'd love to have her in the party again.

For now althought I'm pretty much at the start I'm playing with Cloud, Tifa and Aerith. Tifa is a lock for most I assume but I got used to Aerith in Remake, in fact I had her active for majority of the Sephiroth battle and that worked for me.

Barrett hasn't worked a lot for me usually and I never got around getting to use him to his best. I'm curious about the stuff posted above about using him to have max ATB the whole time but I feel like I want to explore and use Aerith more. Her abilities are a lot more fun to use as well.

Also this may be the Persona experience playing on my head but when it comes to jrpgs I always feel there's a tie in between the character who is pivotal to the main story and their impact during combat so I just always thought Aerith is the important card to be held in your team. :lol:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Found the rematch with Roche a real difficulty spike. Since i couldnt go back and grind levels i eventually switched to easy mode since i was exhuasted from the previous boss

Last edited:

Woodzy

Found the rematch with Roche a real difficulty spike. Since i couldnt go back and grind levels i eventually switched to easy mode since i was exhuasted from the previous boss
You're not gonna like the Chapter 12 boss then. Was a right pain in the cnut.

padr81

Supports
Man City
That fight feels so different to every other fight in the game to that point its real off putting, it almost becomes about perfect dodges and blocks and feels nearly like a Souls fight shoved in FF.

Moby

Dick
Who's amazing idea was it to give Barrett a close range Synergy skill? :lol:

Just can't get to enjoy playing with him. Cloud or Tifa pretty much all the time for now.

caid

Finished it earlier today, i'd give it an 8/10. It would probably scrape a 9 on another day but I wouldn't want people to be too hyped for it almost. The gameplay is the best part so its easy to enjoy regardless of how you feel about anything else.
Think they did a pretty great job in terms of fan service and nostalgia. They have references to the most microscopic details from the originals to the point its clear they played them to death. Thought they hit the mark pretty well in terms of being funny and silly and flirty and fun but were pretty far off in the more sincere or dramatic parts. The whispers / fate stuff turned large parts of the story into incomprehensible nonsense. Red XIII's 12 year old american voice made me wince everytime i heard it, I hate it. I kind of get they were going for a contrast but its just awful. Last boss had far, far too many phases. Its like 12 boss fights in a row or something utterly stupid. Its just excessive and stops being interesting after the 3rd swap up. Difficulty is too easy for a lot of the game (rufus and a couple of other bosses are a massive difficulty spike). The dynamic difficulty isn't a great replacement for Hard from the previous game. Other than all that stuff its still pretty great. But its great for stuff thats clear pretty early in the game, once you start exploring the grasslands. Combat is great. Music is great and the pair of them carry things along well enough. It explicitly mixing things up from the original makes me pretty forgiving of story changes. But i'd say they're pretty consistently bad. I enjoyed the newer stuff more than the remixed old stuff i think. Mini Games were mostly a nice diversion but the idea of getting good at them and trying to 3 star them sounds like hell.

caid

Who's amazing idea was it to give Barrett a close range Synergy skill? :lol:

Just can't get to enjoy playing with him. Cloud or Tifa pretty much all the time for now.
He has a lot of melee skills. You can swap to cloud or tifa and use it on them and he'll teleport next to them

CloneMC16

I think we can all agree that roche is an unbelievably good character and has been horribly underutilised.
I just finished the 2nd fight against him in chapter 11. I was really disappointed to see him transform into a black robe. I figured he'd have a much bigger part to play. Especially because Hojo did some additional work on him.

The fight against him in remake is the best out of the 3.

Can't believe I still haven't finished and I'm 81 hours into it. Looks like I'm at the end of chapter 11.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I just finished the 2nd fight against him in chapter 11. I was really disappointed to see him transform into a black robe. I figured he'd have a much bigger part to play. Especially because Hojo did some additional work on him.

The fight against him in remake is the best out of the 3.

Can't believe I still haven't finished and I'm 81 hours into it. Looks like I'm at the end of chapter 11.
I’m 89 hours in and towards the end of chapter 13. Done most of the side stuff. Just need to finish the game, tidy up for the trophies and then do another run through on hard.

Woodzy

I’m nearing the end of Chapter 13 too. Loved the game but it really does insist on being tedious at times.