Gaming Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4, PS5) | Put discussion of chapters etc in labelled spoilers as people will be at different points

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Dispatched and coming tomorrow.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
It's probably nothing and one of them was in the demo but:

First off was Shinra blowing up their own reactor kind of absolving Avalanche of the blame as terrorists, although it's very early and that could change. Just felt like a bit of a cop out, even though Barrett accepts responsibility for it we know they didn't really set out to do it now. Feels a bit wishy washy.

The other issues are Sephiroth related, he's been in it twice already and I've only just got on the train to go back to Tifa's bar. The first time was Cloud imagining him which is fair enough that's probably replacing the voices in Cloud's head. The second one is when you meet Aerith, the game is paused and she's essentially given a back seat for more Sephiroth then the new ghosts/fates that they added kick in and she runs off. So the entire first meeting with her is first hijacked by Sephiroth and then these ghosts which clearly mark Aerith out as special right from the get go.

Maybe it's nothing, but one of my main fears all along has been that they will make it all about Cloud versus Sephiroth while everyone else takes a back seat and that's already being hinted at with Sephiroth hijacking Aerith's introduction.

It's all probably nothing, but it just worried me early on that that's where they are going with it all.
Cheers. Based on what you've said I'd say I share the same concerns.

Art Vandelay

Cheers. Based on what you've said I'd say I share the same concerns.
Don't let me put you off it or dampen your excitement though. In spite of my worries about that and some awkwardness with combat I have actually been really enjoying what I've played and the vast majority of it has been faithful to the original. It's about to go off on a whole new tangent at the minute, but overall none of my complaints so far have stopped me playing it.

Although I will say this. Darts is proper shit.

JohnZSmith27

About 20 hours in and thoroughly enjoying it but like others are saying, the textures can be dodgy. Plus I came across the same NPC 4 times in the space of about 20 feet. That's just plain lazy. That said, a lot of it is gorgeous.

Art Vandelay

About 20 hours in and thoroughly enjoying it but like others are saying, the textures can be dodgy. Plus I came across the same NPC 4 times in the space of about 20 feet. That's just plain lazy. That said, a lot of it is gorgeous.
Yeah that happens a lot and then there are the NPCs literally walking in a tiny circle around and around. I'm hoping there's a day one patch to fix some of it as it just feels cheap when stuff like that and the texture issues happen. A lot of it is stuff you just brush past on your way anyway, but still it shouldn't be there in a game we've waited all this time for.

JohnZSmith27

Yeah that happens a lot and then there are the NPCs literally walking in a tiny circle around and around. I'm hoping there's a day one patch to fix some of it as it just feels cheap when stuff like that and the texture issues happen. A lot of it is stuff you just brush past on your way anyway, but still it shouldn't be there in a game we've waited all this time for.
Sorry, what i meant was a copy of the same dude 4 times. Like I spoke to him outside a building, then walked inside and his two clones were sitting on opposite ends of a couch. Then another one outside. I know it's just a small thing but like you say, we've waited so long for it.

Art Vandelay

Sorry, what i meant was a copy of the same dude 4 times. Like I spoke to him outside a building, then walked inside and his two clones were sitting on opposite ends of a couch. Then another one outside. I know it's just a small thing but like you say, we've waited so long for it.
Oh yeah, I know what you mean I've seen that too. I saw the same woman side by side with herself at one point. I just meant that along with that sometimes you get the ones that are moving about that are walking around and around in a tiny circle like their path finding has broken. I saw one of the bald guy's carrying sacks in the slums circling around and around a 2 foot radius while the exact same guy stood about 10 feet away looking on. :lol:

None of it is game breaking and it still somehow manages to be very immersive in spite of the problems. It might just be because it's FF7 and it's the weird feeling of actually knowing the places despite having never seen them like this before that it all somehow still works.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Don't let me put you off it or dampen your excitement though. In spite of my worries about that and some awkwardness with combat I have actually been really enjoying what I've played and the vast majority of it has been faithful to the original. It's about to go off on a whole new tangent at the minute, but overall none of my complaints so far have stopped me playing it.

Although I will say this. Darts is proper shit.
There's no worry of that, I've got no doubt I'll play through to completion multiple times regardless :D

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Fecking Amazon originally had my delivery down as the 15th so I decided it was worth the wait for €15 less and a physical copy. They dispatched it yesterday and now it's saying the 20th, bastards!

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Fecking Amazon originally had my delivery down as the 15th so I decided it was worth the wait for €15 less and a physical copy. They dispatched it yesterday and now it's saying the 20th, bastards!
Cancel the order and get it digital? You should still be able to cancel the delivery even though it’s been dispatched.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Cancel the order and get it digital? You should still be able to cancel the delivery even though it’s been dispatched.
Nah I like having the physical copy especially for so much cheaper, I'm weird like that! Plus I've plenty to keep me going til then, not like I'll be short on time to play it! I just wanted to complain.

Woodzy

Loving it so far. Gameplay is fun, visually amazing and pure nostalgia (i'm not sure I have the right to use that word since I only played the original for the first time about 8 years ago)

It does look like they've been to the Final Fantasy 15 school of tedious side quests though.

My memory on original story is hazy, but one thing at this point

I always thought that in the original, Cloud initially idolised Sephiroth? My memory is a bit hazy and I might be getting confused with one of the other million Final Fantasy games, but it seems in this one he hates Sephiroth from the get go?

The Harry Potter things are also new, but quite interesting at least.

Ainu

How similar is the combat to FFXV? I did play the demo and it felt a little bit similar, but that doesn't say much about the full game. I hope it's different enough, because I hated the combat in FFXV. It was just so hopelessly chaotic, selecting a specific target and generally seeing what was going on was a disaster. If it's not significantly improved I'm not sure I want to play this.

Art Vandelay

Loving it so far. Gameplay is fun, visually amazing and pure nostalgia (i'm not sure I have the right to use that word since I only played the original for the first time about 8 years ago)

It does look like they've been to the Final Fantasy 15 school of tedious side quests though.

My memory on original story is hazy, but one thing at this point

I always thought that in the original, Cloud initially idolised Sephiroth? My memory is a bit hazy and I might be getting confused with one of the other million Final Fantasy games, but it seems in this one he hates Sephiroth from the get go?

The Harry Potter things are also new, but quite interesting at least.
Yeah, he originally left home to try and join Soldier in order to be like Sephiroth. Then Nibelheim happened. In the original Sephiroth was barely even mentioned in Midgar until the end of it. Now they are shoving him in all over the place.

I fecking hate that fat feck Wedge and his stupid voice. Jessie is kind of a dick too and if she was a man would totally get done for sexual harassment.

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

How similar is the combat to FFXV? I did play the demo and it felt a little bit similar, but that doesn't say much about the full game. I hope it's different enough, because I hated the combat in FFXV. It was just so hopelessly chaotic, selecting a specific target and generally seeing what was going on was a disaster. If it's not significantly improved I'm not sure I want to play this.
I didn't play 15 as playing as a K-Pop band driving around the place eating stuff did not look fun and 13 was utter shit so I skipped it. However the combat in this is very much as you described, it's just pure chaos and half the time I'm button mashing just to try and find out where enemies are. It wouldn't be so bad if the camera wasn't demented.

Raw

@Art Vandelay Might wanna sort out that spoiler tag!

I totally agree with the whole shoving Sephiroth into everything complaint. It's paced so so well in the original and I hate that they haven't translated that well into this at all.

I have a feeling that they might be anticipating not even doing a part 2 and 3, just as insurance in case it doesn't do as well as they hoped. So they're trying to make this more of a standalone thing hence why Sephiroth is everywhere, because how can you have a FF7 game without the most iconic villain in the franchise.

Art Vandelay

@Art Vandelay Might wanna sort out that spoiler tag!

I totally agree with the whole shoving Sephiroth into everything complaint. It's paced so so well in the original and I hate that they haven't translated that well into this at all.

I have a feeling that they might be anticipating not even doing a part 2 and 3, just as insurance in case it doesn't do as well as they hoped. So they're trying to make this more of a standalone thing hence why Sephiroth is everywhere, because how can you have a FF7 game without the most iconic villain in the franchise.
Shit! Cheers, I was typing while blinded by hay fever and didn't even notice the extra /.

It's not even just shoving him in there that's bothering me so much it's the places they have been doing it so far, like hijacking Aerith's introduction for more Sephiroth. The original is not about Cloud versus Sephiroth, that's only a part of it. A big part, but not the entire focus. Now you have the person who actually saves the world's introduction hijacked for more of these two.

I've only played about 10 hours, but I would say 95% of the stuff they added so far feels like completely pointless filler. That's not to say I haven't enjoyed it, I have very much enjoyed the game so far, but it keeps giving me the feeling of "You split the game up to add this?" I'm only at the second reactor though so it might get better. The extended Jessie mission was just "WTF?!?!" for the majority of it. Avalanche themselves aren't being helped by being fleshed out. Jessie would get Me Too'd if she was a man and Wedge is just pathetic.

I'm just not seeing any good reason to split it in three so far. I think they know people will lap it up for three games and think more Sephiroth is what everyone wants.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
10/10 from GameSpot and 8/10 from IGN.

Will have to be careful of biased/nostalgic reviews on this one.

Ainu

I didn't play 15 as playing as a K-Pop band driving around the place eating stuff did not look fun and 13 was utter shit so I skipped it. However the combat in this is very much as you described, it's just pure chaos and half the time I'm button mashing just to try and find out where enemies are. It wouldn't be so bad if the camera wasn't demented.
That doesn't sound good at all. I don't get why it's reviewing so well if the combat is like that. It was one of the main reasons I dropped FFXV halfway through, which hasn't happened to me with any other FF, not even XIII. It's a genuine deal breaker.

Art Vandelay

That doesn't sound good at all. I don't get why it's reviewing so well if the combat is like that. It was one of the main reasons I dropped FFXV halfway through, which hasn't happened to me with any other FF, not even XIII. It's a genuine deal breaker.
It's not terrible or anything. It's just utterly chaotic, but you can always press X to bring up the menu and issue commands from there while it's slowed down. I've found myself doing that alot in the tougher fights. Others you can just go in and wreck everything with Cloud's basic attacks. It can be a lot of fun, it just feels like it need a bit more work to get the camera under control. I think if they sorted the camera it would solve a lot of the minor problems with the combat.

It does remind me a lot of 13, except the majority of the characters aren't utterly terrible.

RedMist99

It's not terrible or anything. It's just utterly chaotic, but you can always press X to bring up the menu and issue commands from there while it's slowed down. I've found myself doing that alot in the tougher fights. Others you can just go in and wreck everything with Cloud's basic attacks. It can be a lot of fun, it just feels like it need a bit more work to get the camera under control. I think if they sorted the camera it would solve a lot of the minor problems with the combat.

It does remind me a lot of 13, except the majority of the characters aren't utterly terrible.
That's good news for me. While i grew up on the traditional turn based FF's, I thought the only redeeming feature from the truly terrible game that was FFXIII, was the combat. Well, at least I remember enjoying it but it's been a very long time since

Irwin99

10 more hours of trying to avoid spoilers but also feeling curious enough to see what other people are thinking about this.

The combat in 13 was ok, but i'm not keen on seeing the same thing again here. I get the feeling it's a big part of the battle system again.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
10 more hours of trying to avoid spoilers but also feeling curious enough to see what other people are thinking about this.

The combat in 13 was ok, but i'm not keen on seeing the same thing again here. I get the feeling it's a big part of the battle system again.
I can’t stay up all night anymore, so I’ll be loading it up tomorrow morning. Excited to finally get stuck in.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I loved FF7's turn based action...it's a shame they've changed it.
Yeah, I hate that Square Enix have moved away from turn based stuff. Isn't even as if turn based games aren't popular - see Persona. I guess they viewed it that the die hard FF fans will stick with the series regardless, while turning it into a more action based game would attract those who didn't play because they don't like turn based stuff.

el3mel

I never played the original. Actually the only FF I played was XV and I wasn't even planning on playing it. I was going to a store to buy a PS4 game and didn't find what I wanted so instead of returning empty handed I bought XV instead. :D Maybe I wasn't into turn based RPGs previously. My only experience with them was the Pokemon series. Recently I played several DQ games as well, because I found DQXI on PC to be surprisingly excellent to the point of addiction, so decided to play other installments like VII and VIII.

I'm planning on buying this though. I liked the live action combat in XV even though it had a big problem of quickly turning to healing spam to stay alive. Worth noting that I played XV and finished it before finishing downloading all the updates, which were worth +37 GB or something like that ! and it feels like it changed the game drastically and allowed you to control other members of the team, but I played it in its basic version as I couldn't wait for all this to download and kinda liked it. My only other gripe is the open world activities were crap, but overall it was a good game. I didn't regret buying it back then.

This one seems to have a lot of hype around it so hopefully whenever I buys it, it'll turn out well.

siw2007

About 16 hours in and loving it so far. I’ve never played the original so can’t comment on whether the story is the same but it’s really good, and the characters are very likeable, they definitely make the ones from 15 and 13 look particularly weak.

It’s not without it’s faults. Though the graphics tend to be brilliant, it does have a few hiccups now and then, especially in one of the first towns, I waited for ages to see if the textures would load on the doors but alas they didn’t, there are a few examples like this but overall it’s well done.

I’m enjoying the combat as well. It does well to combine an action style with the RPG strategy. My only issue with the combat is the camera is a little awkward but can over look it somewhat. There’s a few boss battles that go on a bit too long for me though.

RedMist99

Having heard about the texture/graphics issues, I've seen rumours of a day one patch to fox this. Are these patches usually available at midnight when the digital copies are ready to play?

I'm just weighing up whether to start tonight or wait until the patch comes.

Answers within the next 6 mins please!

Raw

Having heard about the texture/graphics issues, I've seen rumours of a day one patch to fox this. Are these patches usually available at midnight when the digital copies are ready to play?

I'm just weighing up whether to start tonight or wait until the patch comes.

Answers within the next 6 mins please!
Not a clue what time they come up but I'd probably wait for the patch if you want the best experience. I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a patch, every AAA game has one these days.

Lebowski

I totally slept on this release and would have likely missed it completely if it wasn't for this thread and you good folks.

FF7 is possibly my favourite game of all time and I can't think of a better lockdown game to occupy my time!

Downloading now.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Played for a few hours. Gotta say, the combat is fecking brilliant. It's even somewhat challenging here an there.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Played for a few hours. Gotta say, the combat is fecking brilliant. It's even somewhat challenging here an there.
Was going to say the same. Really enjoying it. It’s very easy to mash square but if you take a step back and think what you’re doing it’s great fun.

Just met up with the team again on the train. Walking though Midgar and seeing the consequences of your actions in blowing up the reactor was great.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Was going to say the same. Really enjoying it. It’s very easy to mash square but if you take a step back and think what you’re doing it’s great fun.

Just met up with the team again on the train. Walking though Midgar and seeing the consequences of your actions in blowing up the reactor was great.
I also like the change they made in the beginning.

having Shinra blow up the reactor as a sort of flase flag operation fits well with current Zeitgeist full of conspiracy loons. Fox news would be proud