Gaming Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4, PS5) | Put discussion of chapters etc in labelled spoilers as people will be at different points

Art Vandelay

Just listening through the original soundtrack. It’s literally perfection. It’s hard to pick a favourite.

As an aside

DO NOT READ AHEAD IF YOU HAVE NOT PLAYED THE ORIGINAL GAME, MAJOR SPOILER

SERIOUSLY DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT PLAYED THE ORIGINAL GAME! YOUR FIRST PLAYTHROUGH SHOULD BE A PURE ONE!

LAST CHANCE!

When do we think part 2 will end? I would be surprised if it wasn’t with Aeris’ death scene, as this is obviously a major part of the story and when the hunt for Sephiroth and the black material really takes off. It also turns into a story of revenge for Cloud. It’s a scene I’m not looking forward to in many ways as the original game always tears me up and in 4K HD it’s going to be even more emotional. I just hope they don’t play with it too much as the build up to her death and the battle with Jenova was excellent. The Cries of the Planet and Aeris’ theme tune are also incredible tracks that capture the mood and emotion perfectly.

They should massively troll everyone and

Constantly tease her death to go alongside the shoehorning of extra Sephiroth. Repeatedly put her in situations where she narrowly misses death or appears dead. For maximum trolling they could kill her off very early. Just for shits and giggles. They can never recapture the shock factor and they are going to feck about with Sephiroth anyway, go full on trolling with it I say.

I mean it would be pretty awful for old fans, but kind of hilarious at the same time doing that to everyone.

Art Vandelay

Out of those VII and IX are my favourites, I never finished VIII or X mainly due to not really liking the characters.
Yeah, 8's characters were pretty cack. Squall was awful. 13 takes the biscuit though for bad characters, especially Snow.

I'd agree that 9 is the sweet spot for jumping in now. I'm waiting for that and 12 to come to Game Pass to get another play through and finally finish 12.

Irwin99

Yeah, 8's characters were pretty cack. Squall was awful. 13 takes the biscuit though for bad characters, especially Snow.

I'd agree that 9 is the sweet spot for jumping in now. I'm waiting for that and 12 to come to Game Pass to get another play through and finally finish 12.
:nono::nono::nono::nono::nono: Agree about 13 and Snow though.

urgh! 12 is ok/decent but so overrated nowadays. It's been reappraised as some classic neglected gem when I really can't get my head around it's popularity. The boosters on the PS4 remaster do help a lot though and the world map is nice.

Art Vandelay

:nono::nono::nono::nono::nono: Agree about 13 and Snow though.

urgh! 12 is ok/decent but so overrated nowadays. It's been reappraised as some classic neglected gem when I really can't get my head around it's popularity. The boosters on the PS4 remaster do help a lot though and the world map is nice.
I'll fight you in the streets! Squall was a douche and his jacket didn't fit him. 8 is my least favourite that story just did nothing for me and I didn't like any of the characters.

12 is the only one I played and didn't finish. Think it came along when my PS2 was dying. It hadn't really gripped me and the cast seemed to be a rip off of the main Star Wars characters. They replaced Chewie with a big rabbit woman, the heartless gits.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

I'd say that 12's characters were the worst. There was soft spoken Zidane knock off, the wifey with tits and....can't remember anything else. I think there was a temple involved at some point.

I just never got into it, and believe me I tried. I just felt so dull. It didn't help that the voice acting was horrendous and every character sounded like they were on the smack.

Art Vandelay

I'd say that 12's characters were the worst. There was soft spoken Zidane knock off, the wifey with tits and....can't remember anything else. I think there was a temple involved at some point.

I just never got into it, and believe me I tried. I just felt so dull. It didn't help that the voice acting was horrendous and every character sounded like they were on the smack.
Yeah there was a weird sound issue if I remember right. Everyone's voices sounded weirdly tinny. Maybe it was my disc though.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Yeah there was a weird sound issue if I remember right. Everyone's voices sounded weirdly tinny. Maybe it was my disc though.
Van (Driver) sounded so disjointed from the rest of the group, aye I remember that too. Almost like the voice actor was phoning it in, over an actual phone.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I'll fight you in the streets! Squall was a douche and his jacket didn't fit him. 8 is my least favourite that story just did nothing for me and I didn't like any of the characters.

12 is the only one I played and didn't finish. Think it came along when my PS2 was dying. It hadn't really gripped me and the cast seemed to be a rip off of the main Star Wars characters. They replaced Chewie with a big rabbit woman, the heartless gits.
You’re an arsehole. Whilst I agree the cast of (playable at least) characters is probably the weakest in the series bar XIII, VIII is still a fantastic game in many respects. The plot is convoluted at times but it’s still enjoyable. Squall is a hero and it contains some of the finest music in any FF game.

Art Vandelay

You’re an arsehole. Whilst I agree the cast of (playable at least) characters is probably the weakest in the series bar XIII, VIII is still a fantastic game in many respects. The plot is convoluted at times but it’s still enjoyable. Squall is a hero and it contains some of the finest music in any FF game.
It's about a bunch of twats going to fight their babysitter and the school bully because of time travelling witches from the future, you shitehawk. I enjoyed the first few hours then it went downhill.

Although you're probably right 13 has worse characters. 13 might be worse in general.

Bosws87

Had a quick play the dialogue is incredibly cheesy, the battle system is really fun from the short play, Not sure how this will effect progression in the game, my old method was just grinding random battles so I was super ahead of the curve doesn’t look like that’s an option anymore.

pacifictheme

Preferred 12s characters to 10 and probably 9. Maybe 8 as well.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Just finished it. Fecking loved it, though it's hard to be objective because of nostalgia. The way it's familiar but not quite is amazing.

Barrett is over the top as feck though. His voice acting is a bit over board. Did really like the banter between him and Cloud though.

The combat seems a lot of fun. Much better than FF15. It feels more direct without getting too messy. The boss was actually challenging as well.

I really cant wait to play the full thing.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Expected a bigger GB, even for a demo.Still,this will be my first FF play-through.
Going in unexpectedly.

Irwin99

Some good and a few bad points overall. I actually liked the dialogue and I liked that they kept Cloud's moodiness from the original part of the game as I was worried they might soften him up a bit. Liked the interactions between Barrett and him a lot.

I was excited by it and tried really hard not to be negative but the combat was jarring at times as I don't like hacking an enemy to fill my ATB. I might try it again with the classic battle mode instead. Obviously a lot of people will like this change though and we've known about it for a long time but I don't know, it just grated on me a bit.

Boss fight was intense :D Music and graphics are just :drool:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I really enjoyed it. Barret was a tad OTT but that is staying true to his character in the original, so I didn’t mind it.

I really enjoyed the battle mechanics, though the camera was a bit goofy at times, particularly on the escape after the boss battle. Really enjoyed the scorpion fight too, I think bosses could be great in this game. Very excited now!

I just hope there isn’t too much repetition in terms of going to a reactor and blowing it up :lol:

Bosws87

Be beautiful on the eventual pc release 30fps is always a downer on consoles

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Squall had relevance to the plot and actual character development though.
Yeah fair enough. I'm currently playing the remake and he's yet to develop where Im at, so I'm not being very objective.

Quistis: I just want you to listen to me!
Squall: why dont you talk to a wall.

That's I don't like sand level dialogue :)

Art Vandelay

Haven't finished it yet, but liked most of what I've played so far. Barrett is annoying as feck though, kinda what I thought would happen if they translated him directly. It works in a cartoonish voiceless way, but when ultra realistic he just looks ridiculous.

Irwin99

Yeah fair enough. I'm currently playing the remake and he's yet to develop where Im at, so I'm not being very objective.

Quistis: I just want you to listen to me!
Squall: why dont you talk to a wall.

That's I don't like sand level dialogue :)
I actually love that line :lol: Other than that brutal example, I think he's quite a misunderstood character and his social awkwardness is intentionally quite funny, so I hope you get on better with him and the game.

FF7 remake seems to be getting a positive reaction from what I've seen. I think I'm in the minority when it comes to not being sold on the gameplay. Like I said I loved the rest of it but mashing square to fill the ATB guage wasn't much fun.

Ekeke

Can only play as 4 characters. What? Part of the charm of classic Final Fantasy is having a good amount of party members to choose from

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Can only play as 4 characters. What? Part of the charm of classic Final Fantasy is having a good amount of party members to choose from
Not happy that XIII isn’t playable considering he is in the original, and I think their explanation is a bit of a cop out in all honesty.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Bungie would be proud of the bullet-spongedness of the first boss in the game. It might be that I need to get used to the combat more, but ended up taking me over 5 minutes and most of my potions. No idea how they're going to balance bosses further along. Other than that, the demo was pretty good. Barret was just how I expected him to be and him humming the battle victory theme after one of the battles was great.

Art Vandelay

I like most of what I played, but it's not alleviated a lot of my fears. I'm not sure how much of Barrett I can listen to. He works as an over the top silent cartoon, but ultra realistic he's annoying as feck.

I think I'm expecting to be wowed and disappointed in equal measure at this point. Walking around a realistic Midgar after all these years was a massive headfeck.

pacifictheme

Not happy that XIII isn’t playable considering he is in the original, and I think their explanation is a bit of a cop out in all honesty.
He is hardly in it up to the point this game ends. He'll be playable in part 2. Makes sense and not a surprise at all really.

Bosws87

Bungie would be proud of the bullet-spongedness of the first boss in the game. It might be that I need to get used to the combat more, but ended up taking me over 5 minutes and most of my potions. No idea how they're going to balance bosses further along. Other than that, the demo was pretty good. Barret was just how I expected him to be and him humming the battle victory theme after one of the battles was great.
The weapons are gonna be interesting Diamond & Emerald :lol: 5 hour button bashing slugfest.

KOTR will be a weird one too how that's gonna work.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Loved the demo, I love the combat changes to be honest. Looking like its going to be my fave rpg battle system. Have a feeling when the initial "its great" wears off on forums/reviews its going to be divisive though.

evil_geko

I still am not looking forward to this, Turn based FF >>> real time combat FF for me.

And about the FF8 argument, FF9>FF8>FF7 easily for me.