Gaming Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4, PS5) | Put discussion of chapters etc in labelled spoilers as people will be at different points

Tony Babangida

Looking forward to this. My first FF was VIII, which remains my favourite. Followed by X. X-2 was truly shit though. I tried to go back and play VII but was put off by the graphics so can’t wait for the remaster.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I'm replaying 8 at the moment (the remaster), but problem with the ps1 generation of FF's is they're so mind numbingly easy. Especially 8 is completely trivial because of the junction system. I still like em, mind, but they could really take a page out of Crpg's regarding difficulty.

Same reason I cant get into the new Dragon Quest or Ni no kuni.

pacifictheme

So the game is up to a certain point of the original? No Yuffie and Vincent because they'd be in the 2nd?
Asuming you are not taking the piss this game focuses only on midgar. It ends when the party leaves midgar. Red 13 only joins just before that so having him join would be bizarre. And no, no yuffie, Vincent, cid or cait sith as none join until later.

Ekeke

Asuming you are not taking the piss this game focuses only on midgar. It ends when the party leaves midgar. Red 13 only joins just before that so having him join would be bizarre. And no, no yuffie, Vincent, cid or cait sith as none join until later.
How many games are they going to make then? Sounds like it would take at least 3

Revan

Assumptionman
Final Fantasy's are on offer at the moment on PS Store

VII - £6.49 was £12.99
VIII - £9.59 was £15.99
IX - £8.49 was £16.99
X - £12.49 was £24.99

All great games @AaronRedDevil, pick one (or all) of them up.
X is at best a mediocre and flawed game, with a couple of good moments.

The other three (together with IV and VI) are amazing (especially VI, VII and to a lesser degree IX).

Revan

Assumptionman
I'm replaying 8 at the moment (the remaster), but problem with the ps1 generation of FF's is they're so mind numbingly easy. Especially 8 is completely trivial because of the junction system. I still like em, mind, but they could really take a page out of Crpg's regarding difficulty.

Same reason I cant get into the new Dragon Quest or Ni no kuni.
To be fair, I always found Final Fantasy more about the journey and experience, rather than the difficulty level. The games are difficult only if you are underleveled (or in case of VIII, you don't play a billion card cames and so don't have good junctioning). I struggled a bit in X, cause the game was so boring for me to bother doing random battles to level up, and so was underleveled for the final 2 fights.

If you properly level, the only challenging fights are the optional superbosses.

Ainu

I played it for a bit yesterday until the first boss fight. I'm not sure what to think about the combat yet. I like how you still select commands from a menu and everything goes into super slow-mo when you open that menu. But I struggled a bit during that boss fight, it all goes so fast I couldn't really see what type of attacks were most effective and I didn't have a clue how to balance attacking and defending properly. I was just spamming potion after potion, it didn't feel right. I hope the experience improves when I get more used to it but it reminds me of FFXV where I really couldn't get into it, even after a couple dozen hours, because of how chaotic all the combat was.

I have to say though, playing this remake in 2020 feels completely surreal. I almost can't believe this thing actually exists and I can walk around in it. Remember that PS3 tech demo that first made us believe? Can you believe that's already 15 years ago? Fifteen! Fecking hell. The original itself was just 8 years old at that point. Yet here we are in 2020, finally playing a remake.

pacifictheme

The other three (together with IV and VI) are amazing (especially VI, VII and to a lesser degree IX).
I hope we get a trophy supported re-release of 6 with the snes sprites one day.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
To be fair, I always found Final Fantasy more about the journey and experience, rather than the difficulty level. The games are difficult only if you are underleveled (or in case of VIII, you don't play a billion card cames and so don't have good junctioning). I struggled a bit in X, cause the game was so boring for me to bother doing random battles to level up, and so was underleveled for the final 2 fights.

If you properly level, the only challenging fights are the optional superbosses.
Yeah, true enough, first time around all of em were amazing even without achallenge, but I played most of em quite a few times, so I know the journey now.

I loved building the characters in 10 personally. Though the battles were a bit static I guess.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

X is far from mediocre. Whilst the voice acting hasn't aged well and the last boss is a STEAMING PILE OF SHIT, it still remains one of my favourite games. The Dark Aeon fights and the Monster Arena were tough and satisfying quests, and I felt the overall story and journey was excellent and was complimented by a good cast of characters and a wonderful soundtrack.

Yu Yevon though gets me angry.

evil_geko

X is far from mediocre. Whilst the voice acting hasn't aged well and the last boss is a STEAMING PILE OF SHIT, it still remains one of my favourite games. The Dark Aeon fights and the Monster Arena were tough and satisfying quests, and I felt the overall story and journey was excellent and was complimented by a good cast of characters and a wonderful soundtrack.

Yu Yevon though gets me angry.
FFX is pretty bad, at least for me, I tried to finish it three times and couldn't get around how boring it was. Last good FF was 9 for me, everything after is far below.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
9 was the last relevant FF.

On topic, this demo is a pass for me. I’m buying the game already, and going in fresh. No reviews, demos, etc...

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I wish they'd do a FF6 style game. I really adored Octopath traveler, but the weird seperate stories held it back a bit. Would love a new sprite based FF.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
So for those that have tried the demo, what do you think?
I'm a bit on the fence. I didn't have a PS1 and only played the original on Ps3 or on the Wii, I think and loved despite the dated graphics. I would say apart from that I've never really been the greatest final fantasy fan. The grapichs and presentation etc is all great, but i'm not sure this is excatly a game I will enjoy playing. I think DS3, Sekiro, Bloodborne and Nioh have made it more difficult to enjoy other rpgs, because I love their formula so much.

evil_geko

That "classic" battle mode is a joke, it would have been an instant buy if the "classic battle" would actually be turn based classic one, this is all style no substance for me. Hack and slash spamming...

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
That "classic" battle mode is a joke, it would have been an instant buy if the "classic battle" would actually be turn based classic one, this is all style no substance for me. Hack and slash spamming...
Kind of feeling like this too. I want to enjoy it but im not really.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Anyone else feel like all the atmosphere has been stripped away? It has the same great soundtrack and it's pretty much created the same layout but I don't know if it's the camera angles, or the lightning but it just feels a bit sterile.

Zen86

I adored (and still do) the original when it first came out, I’m hugely nostalgic for everything about it (the graphics and the ‘cuteness’ especially) and I’m deeply cynical about a remake. For those that have played the demo - should I bother giving it a try?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I adored (and still do) the original when it first came out, I’m hugely nostalgic for everything about it (the graphics and the ‘cuteness’ especially) and I’m deeply cynical about a remake. For those that have played the demo - should I bother giving it a try?
Yeah,check it out.

Granted I know very,very little about this franchise. So,everything FF, is very much new to me.
Maybe that's why this demo works for me.
I haven't got fond memories or nostalgia,which can be deadly ;), pulling me back.

Art Vandelay

Yeah it's worth a go even just for the novelty of walking around the reactor with modern graphics.

I loved the orginal and part of me wants to love this, but I remain cynical. On the one hand the demo was a nostalgia trip/mind feck that was pretty awesome. On the other if it wasn't FF7 then there's no way in hell I'd be buying it on the strength of the demo alone.

izzydiggler

I have mixed feelings. The game in isolation seems a little shallow...a lot of mindless button bashing and the boss was pretty dull and more a battle of attrition, rather than the supposed 'tactical battle' it was supposed to be.

But on the flip side, it looks really nice, the score was great and there's a lot of good memories it stirs up.

I'll get it and enjoy it but I suspect that it'll be a bit like the Star Wars sequels - everything enjoyable will be based on nostalgia, rather than because it's particularly good.

Zen86

Yeah,check it out.

Granted I know very,very little about this franchise. So,everything FF, is very much new to me.
Maybe that's why this demo works for me.
I haven't got fond memories or nostalgia,which can be deadly ;), pulling me back.
Yeah it's worth a go even just for the novelty of walking around the reactor with modern graphics.

I loved the orginal and part of me wants to love this, but I remain cynical. On the one hand the demo was a nostalgia trip/mind feck that was pretty awesome. On the other if it wasn't FF7 then there's no way in hell I'd be buying it on the strength of the demo alone.
I may check it out, even though a remake just can’t win in my eyes

Aarron Swift

I remember back in 2002 playing FFX, wishing they'd update the graphics of FF7 and add voiceovers, the 2005 tech demo added more tease to that, 2015 promise sent me into overdrive....2018 thought it was never happening. and now its just 1 month away. Its' been a long long almost 20 years of wanting this and it looks incredible.

A further self-imposed punishment of mine is to not get the demo, I don't want to take away from that moment of starting the full game on 10th April.

I'm already prepared for that morning when in the opening movie the Final Fantasy 7 Remake title appears above midgar to the music. My hands will be shaking, I'll have goosebumps, I'm welling up.....and my girlfriend sits there think I'm the biggest loser in the world...Cant wait! haha

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I remember back in 2002 playing FFX, wishing they'd update the graphics of FF7 and add voiceovers, the 2005 tech demo added more tease to that, 2015 promise sent me into overdrive....2018 thought it was never happening. and now its just 1 month away. Its' been a long long almost 20 years of wanting this and it looks incredible.

A further self-imposed punishment of mine is to not get the demo, I don't want to take away from that moment of starting the full game on 10th April.

I'm already prepared for that morning when in the opening movie the Final Fantasy 7 Remake title appears above midgar to the music. My hands will be shaking, I'll have goosebumps, I'm welling up.....and my girlfriend sits there think I'm the biggest loser in the world...Cant wait! haha
I like this post.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Played the demo last night, thought it was quite good and can see where the abilities and magic will become more engaging as the game progresses and gets harder. But does anyone else feel like the camera is off? I can't quite put my finger on it but it controls like a third person game where the character should be directly in the centre of the screen, yet it's angled over the shoulder. It feels like pressing forwards makes Cloud run diagonal.

Art Vandelay

Played the demo last night, thought it was quite good and can see where the abilities and magic will become more engaging as the game progresses and gets harder. But does anyone else feel like the camera is off? I can't quite put my finger on it but it controls like a third person game where the character should be directly in the centre of the screen, yet it's angled over the shoulder. It feels like pressing forwards makes Cloud run diagonal.
I did notice that, but figured it was just me being needlessly confused. The equilibrium when you start moving feels a bit off. It also felt too close during the boss fight at times, to the point I couldn't quite see what was happening. Probably just needs a slight tweak.

Bobski

I think I am probably too old and cynical now to really enjoy this. The original was an amazing experience for the 15yo me, even something as functional as changing the discs over felt like part of an epic quest. Untold number of hours trying to beat my times on the Snowboard courses and replaying sections just to find the different dialogue options. Was lucky to get 2 games a year then so had to get my moneys worth.

Now have a bloated steam library with a couple of hours into dozens of games:(

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I think I am probably too old and cynical now to really enjoy this. The original was an amazing experience for the 15yo me, even something as functional as changing the discs over felt like part of an epic quest.
:lol: