Gaming Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4, PS5) | Put discussion of chapters etc in labelled spoilers as people will be at different points

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Put discussion of the game in spoilers like so, with people being at different points but wanting to read up:

rgbfdedfg
efrgbe

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Put discussion of the game in spoilers like so, with people being at different points but wanting to read up:

rgbfdedfg
efrgbe
I mean, you're totally wrong about the first Chapter. Just plain wrong.

Art Vandelay

I also like the change they made in the beginning.

having Shinra blow up the reactor as a sort of flase flag operation fits well with current Zeitgeist full of conspiracy loons. Fox news would be proud
I really did not like that change.

It's too wishy washy for me and white washes Avalanche a bit. Like "we're terrorists, but we didn't mean to hurt anyone!" They went in to blow up a reactor and that change kind of absolves them of blame. I'd rather have them be people that did a very bad thing because they believe it was right and own the full responsibility of that. It also paints Shinra as a bit too evil. It got a wee bit too convenint and cartoonish for me with that change.

Woodzy

They are really building that emotional connection with Jessie, Biggs and Wedge :(

Art Vandelay

So no day 1 patch? I'm surprised.
Yeah I'm really shocked. I've had half an area with the textures not loaded in, Tifa, Wedge and Aerith seem to random switch between PS2 and PS4. At one point Aerith was more or less a pinkish white blur in a red jacket. I'm 90% sure it's a bug and not them being lazy because you can see how good it looks when it works. That thing where the camera goes from cutscene to battle is brilliant.

I'm both loving it and increasingly getting a sinking feeling that I'm going to be very annoyed by the end. It might all work out fine, but almost everything they've added so far has left me feeling like "You split this into 3 parts to add this? Really?" I'm still very much enjoying it, it's just giving me a bad feeling of it's all going to go horribly wrong at some point and some of the new story elements are fundamentally changing things in ways I'm not liking the smell of.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Oh crap, I just installed the game on disc and when I want to start the game, it tells me to insert the disc despite that the fact it's already in there? Am I only the one experienced this glitch or whatever it's called? Just payed full price for the game and was pomped up to play it.

My bad. Did recognize it contained 2 discs.

Art Vandelay

Oh crap, I just installed the game on disc and when I want to start the game, it tells me to insert the disc despite that the fact it's already in there? Am I only the one experienced this glitch or whatever it's called? Just payed full price for the game and was pomped up to play it.

My bad. Did recognize it contained 2 discs.
:lol: :lol:

My mate did the same thing. Spent 20 minutes ranting in a Whatsapp group before realising there was a second disc.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
A little tip for those that don't like HUD clutter on their screen, you can press L2 to cycle through map > basic compass > no HUD when exploring

Damien

Staff

Good start. Had the full bloody thing downloading over the past few days.
After three times of deleting it and reinstalling it until it gets to the 13GB mark, I've finally managed to start playing five minutes of it then it just exited with the same message and I can't frigging get back on it to play.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
After three times of deleting it and reinstalling it until it gets to the 13GB mark, I've finally managed to start playing five minutes of it then it just exited with the same message and I can't frigging get back on it to play.
Give me your PSN account and i'll try it on my ps4 for you and see if it works. I'll play the full game to make sure it doesn't crash at all.

Zen

I'm up to Seventh Heaven now - it's decent. Midgar was never a section I 'loved' of the original mind, so I'm definitely getting the idea I'm going to be annoyed waiting like 2 years..if not 20...for this, I guess we'll see where it rolls.

Enjoy the battles, and having no real issues with graphics, well not that I can tell.... I wouldn't say it's my strength in noticing that kind of thing though.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Seems you could do with reformatting your PS4 I think.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
It's frustrating as literally every other game works fine and I don't want to lose the save data and everything I've got.
Do you not have PS Plus? That should back up all your saves. If not use a USB to make a copy of them.
I have literally never had that problem before. Can imagine it being very frustrating !

Zen

Googling it doesn't necassarily mean a formatting - taking it you have already googled and stuff.

Shite though regardless, feel for ya. Was an absolute pain when I had to download 85GB of Modern Warfare just for Warfare - then their patch broke it so you have download it all again! 90GB the second time round....

Damien

Staff
Do you not have PS Plus? That should back up all your saves. If not use a USB to make a copy of them.
I have literally never had that problem before. Can imagine it being very frustrating !
I do but I remember having to reformat a year ago and it didn't back up my saves. I don't want to risk it again when I've got a few save files of games I'm so close to getting a Platinum on.

Googling it doesn't necassarily mean a formatting - taking it you have already googled and stuff.

Shite though regardless, feel for ya. Was an absolute pain when I had to download 85GB of Modern Warfare just for Warfare - then their patch broke it so you have download it all again! 90GB the second time round....
Yeah. I think the next step is to rebuild database which takes hours.

Irwin99

The world design is gorgeous. I get that they want to show it off but some of the quests have felt a bit superfluous.To be fair, they've expanded on Cloud's role as a merc so it makes sense that he'd want to do all these jobs for pay. The combat just isn't grabbing me. I'm just mashing square for most battles. I like the game so far but I wonder if it's going to improve or if it's just going to keep along these lines. I did enjoy getting the darts trophy :D

Art Vandelay

The world design is gorgeous. I get that they want to show it off but some of the quests have felt a bit superfluous.To be fair, they've expanded on Cloud's role as a merc so it makes sense that he'd want to do all these jobs for pay. The combat just isn't grabbing me. I'm just mashing square for most battles. I like the game so far but I wonder if it's going to improve or if it's just going to keep along these lines. I did enjoy getting the darts trophy :D
I can't beleive anyone would enjoy darts :lol:

Combat does get a bit better once it forces you into not mashing square. Although it's not terribly brilliant.

Irwin99

I can't beleive anyone would enjoy darts :lol:

Combat does get a bit better once it forces you into not mashing square. Although it's not terribly brilliant.
It did feel like playing Shenmue a bit and I was compelled to get that top spot :D

Zen

I made the mashing square error - time to beat things (specificiall the first real boss) - take substantially less time when you just take a quick step back from it. I went through almost all (15) potions up to that and thought something isn't right.... so did it again using 2 potions.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
I'm quite enjoying all this extra cat content they've added to this.

Biggiums Reggie & Smalls :lol:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Don't have a console to play the remake on but this thread has prompted me to replay the original again. My long weekend sorted. :drool:

Art Vandelay

It did feel like playing Shenmue a bit and I was compelled to get that top spot :D
I managed it on 7 darts and thought thank feck that's over :lol: . Reminded me of Shenmue darts, but Ryo is drunk, on a boat, in rough seas.

It's looking like Shenmue in parts now too. I really can't believe how bad the texture problems are in chapter 8, it's been up and down until now, but it's like an entire sector is living in 2001. I've a couple of mates playing it too and the same area is producing different texture issues for all of us.

Art Vandelay

Are you on regular PS4? I’m on Pro and haven’t had any issues so far, just defeated the Airbuster.
Yeah, PS4 slim. Two mates have Pros and similar issues. Seems to be a fairly common bug. Although me and another guy on regular PS4 both loaded the same area and got complete opposite results. An area looked liked a Dreamcast game for me, then the following one was perfectly fine. The opposite way around for him. I think it's a bug with texture loading or something.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Yeah, PS4 slim. Two mates have Pros and similar issues. Seems to be a fairly common bug. Although me and another guy on regular PS4 both loaded the same area and got complete opposite results. An area looked liked a Dreamcast game for me, then the following one was perfectly fine. The opposite way around for him. I think it's a bug with texture loading or something.
Ah fair enough! As I say I'm yet to experience it so perhaps I'm one of the lucky ones.

In terms of the game

Played for around 9 hours now and I'm currently upto the Reno boss fight in Aeris' church (I'm finding him quite difficult), and overall I have to say it's a really excellent game and a very faithful remake of the original. Nostalgia overload in parts.

In terms of the fighting system, I can understand people thinking it's just a mashing square button exercise but I think if you take a step back it's a lot more than that. I think fights in general are good fun and boss fights are great. The camera can be a bit off at times, especially with aerial enemies. That was an issue in XV so I'm a tad disappointed they seemingly haven't fixed it. But overall I think it's good fun. The Materia system is as great as it ever was and the weapon upgrade system is a nice touch.

They've done a really good job of all of the characters. The voice actor for Wedge is Badger out of Breaking Bad - I couldn't place his voice but I knew I recognised it. The relationship between Biggs, Wedge and Jessie with the rest of the gang has been done well and we all know what's coming so I think it was important to do that. In the original you don't see much of them after the first mission so their deaths didn't really affect the player as much as it probably should have done. Jessie is clearly a whore though.

I enjoy the flashbacks and I think they've just about managed to keep Sephiroth mysterious enough so far (If you're a newbie to the game - if you've played the original you obviously know the backstory between them).

Enjoyed the few side quests I've done so far too, though I think inevitably they'll just descend into fetch quests which I really don't tend to enjoy. Hoping they tend to become similar to Beast Hunts in XII as that will give you a challenge, but I'll just have to wait and see.

Overall so far I think it's excellent. I think they've done a really good job of fleshing out Midgar without ruining it and without making it feel like they're just dragging it out. Obviously I'm less than half way through so these opinions may change but I'm happy with what I've seen so far and I'm confident they'll do a good job of the entire project. As good as Midgar is in the original I think the game really takes off when you get onto the World Map and the story becomes more of a focus on Sephiroth. Looking forward to seeing how Part 2 plays out already, just hope we don't have to wait too long.

Few things I haven't been so keen on;

-That mission to Jesse's house to steal a keycard was shite. Didn't mind the motorcycle fight but I think that's the weakest part of the game so far.
-Roche seems wayyyyyyy OTT and a complete douche. Willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now though.
-They've changed the names of the limit breaks (not happy).

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I don't think the Final Fantasy VII world has equal opportunities for women. Only the fitties get screentime.

Rudie

Mentary
Been playing this all day, absolutely amazed. It's incredible so far! All the memories have come flooding back. Absolutely loving it.

Flashbacks to when I created a fan fiction called Loveless :lol:

Last edited:

Irwin99

Geez, if Jessie gets any more touchy feely with Cloud it'd be bordering on assault. Hope I haven't blocked anything important by telling her there's no way I want to see her again tomorrow night. She didn't even seem to take the hint though.
Enjoyed the mission and I like that they're fleshing out these characters a bit more...it was a bit strange that there's a training centre right outside the main entrance where you can destroy Shinra robots but whatever :D