Gaming Final Fantasy XVI (PS5)

Irwin99

The frame rate is a bit choppy on performance mode. I tried putting it on graphics mode but it didn't feel right either. Nothing horrendously bad, just noticeable.

Game is good with a few early issues. I really like Clive so far, think he could be a great character in the making and is already a lot better than the last three protagonists of the mainline series even at this stage.

On a side note, I still think stagger bars in these games really suck :( . Please try something different next time SE.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
What don’t you like about the stagger bars/ what do you think would work best?
The frame rate is a bit choppy on performance mode. I tried putting it on graphics mode but it didn't feel right either. Nothing horrendously bad, just noticeable.

Game is good with a few early issues. I really like Clive so far, think he could be a great character in the making and is already a lot better than the last three protagonists of the mainline series even at this stage.

On a side note, I still think stagger bars in these games really suck :( . Please try something different next time SE.

Bebe

Never played a final fantasy game before. Bought this last night and played for maybe 2 hours. All I can say is "holy feck this is awesome".

caid

Moved on another 3 hours from my demo save this morning. Really impressed with the game and the story is quite gripping already.

Not thrilled to see the main story is only 30 hours long. I expect longer in my JRPG's but let's see.
Its a lot for an action game though, which is probably a better description of this. Even for a JRPG that sounds fine. Final Fantasy 7 was about 40 hours.

Irwin99

What don’t you like about the stagger bars/ what do you think would work best?
Sometimes it can feel like an eternity just hacking and slashing the enemies (or using magic and special attacks) with numbers that don't really look very significant at all until it finally happens when the enemy is knocked down and then you can hit them for better damage. This isn't specific to FF XVI but It just feels a bit of a chore sometimes and enemies can feel very spongy.

I've long said that i don't care what battle system that an FF game has as long as its serviceable and decent enough because the story is more important and so far 16 is like that but, ...maybe one day they could return to turn based again? I don't think they've quite cracked the action approach so far in this, though it's early days.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Sometimes it can feel like an eternity just hacking and slashing the enemies (or using magic and special attacks) with numbers that don't really look very significant at all until it finally happens when the enemy is knocked down and then you can hit them for better damage. This isn't specific to FF XVI but It just feels a bit of a chore sometimes and enemies can feel very spongy.

I've long said that i don't care what battle system that an FF game has as long as its serviceable and decent enough because the story is more important and so far 16 is like that but, ...maybe one day they could return to turn based again? I don't think they've quite cracked the action approach so far in this, though it's early days.
Yeah, from the demo I couldn't tell if it was going to be like that all game, just every big enemy feeling a bit spongey, not sure if they just crammed a couple boss types in early to give us a feel.

I really enjoyed ffx combat and the sphere grid. I'd love to replay it but last time I went to I heard the RNG was still knackered and could stop you completing the game, also the cutscenes were unskippable iirc.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

That makes sense. It does feel very repetitive at times in terms of combat.

The swearing is a bit cringe in the dialogue at times.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think I’ve reached a good point to stop tonight. Just finished Caer Norvent.
That was a fun boss fight with Benedikta. Probably the only challenge so far.

lilcurt

Its a lot for an action game though, which is probably a better description of this. Even for a JRPG that sounds fine. Final Fantasy 7 was about 40 hours.
Probably describes where I am with it. Doesn't feel like a final fantasy game. But a truly great game nontheless.

SuperiorXI

Played a few hours today, really enjoying it so far. The story is really interesting. The only thing that has got on my nerves (and this tends to happen in a lot of games) is the voice acting for the young kid. Very annoying.

The cutscenes are phenomenal and gameplay is decent so far. Still getting used to the battle system... I keep pressing circle to dodge rather than R1 which is a dumb button for dodge IMO.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Played a few hours today, really enjoying it so far. The story is really interesting. The only thing that has got on my nerves (and this tends to happen in a lot of games) is the voice acting for the young kid. Very annoying.

The cutscenes are phenomenal and gameplay is decent so far. Still getting used to the battle system... I keep pressing circle to dodge rather than R1 which is a dumb button for dodge IMO.
I feel like a lot of games just feck with button combos for a laugh.

Irwin99

That's just where i've got to.

Actually got a game over in that battle but the game was ridiculously generous in giving me all my potions back and leaving me right at the very last checkpoint in the battle before I died. Really enjoyable section though and Benedikta is a cool character. I'm enjoying the story and characters a lot

pacifictheme

Does everyone have vidyoyo on ignore? Seems a bit unhinged.

Anyway, been really enjoying it, probably about two hours in past the demo.

Irwin99

The quality of some of the cutscenes is insane :eek: . Like, wow!

Have heard stories about it potentially overheating the console during some Eikon scenes/battles, and i was actually keeping on eye the console during one of the scenes.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah personally I’m now an advocate for most games being a bit shorter. There’s really very few games that demand being really long and I usually find myself wishing games were 80 per cent of their actual playtime.

amolbhatia50k

Does everyone have vidyoyo on ignore? Seems a bit unhinged.

Anyway, been really enjoying it, probably about two hours in past the demo.
Can’t blame him. His favourite console hasn’t had a good game for a decade.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
The quality of some of the cutscenes is insane :eek: . Like, wow!

Have heard stories about it potentially overheating the console during some Eikon scenes/battles, and i was actually keeping on eye the console during one of the scenes.
Can’t wait to get stuck in. Didn’t get chance last night and I’m busy tonight but gonna crack on tomorrow!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Question about side quests...are they easy to miss? I wasn't sure if you are supposed to head back to areas to pick them up or if they pop up while you're on the main storyline.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Question about side quests...are they easy to miss? I wasn't sure if you are supposed to head back to areas to pick them up or if they pop up while you're on the main storyline.
Not sure but almost every review has said they're largely a bit rubbish and fetchy and very few actually give anything decent, and you're not missing much by not doing them. Seems there are some that do drop good armor/crafting stuff though that you don't want to miss.

SuperiorXI

I'm quite early in but they show up on your display as green icons and will also be on the local map so if you check when you enter an area should be hard to miss.

Lyng

Yeah was a great fight. You can tell they are using their boss experience from FFXIV

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Yeah personally I’m now an advocate for most games being a bit shorter. There’s really very few games that demand being really long and I usually find myself wishing games were 80 per cent of their actual playtime.
I still havent managed to actually beat Persona 5 due to it being so insanely long. I mean, it's good, sure, but after 70 hours I'm kind of done.

amolbhatia50k

I still havent managed to actually beat Persona 5 due to it being so insanely long. I mean, it's good, sure, but after 70 hours I'm kind of done.
I really liked Persona for 50 hours but couldn’t handle anymore of it. It’s my perfect example of a game that could have so much better if it didn’t have so much repetition. And this is a constant with me - unless it’s a game I absolutely adore I don’t and that extra 20-30% of content. The judgment games are another one - I really like them and I’m currently playing the original but it didn’t have to be 35 / 55 hours really. A nice tight 20 /35 would have been perfect. My take anyway.

AaronRedDevil

Never played a final fantasy game before. Bought this last night and played for maybe 2 hours. All I can say is "holy feck this is awesome".
Same for me with FF15. Never played it before that, I really loved that story. But all I can say is the first hour on 16 already beats 15 for me. 7 is the best for obvious reasons.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I really liked Persona for 50 hours but couldn’t handle anymore of it. It’s my perfect example of a game that could have so much better if it didn’t have so much repetition. And this is a constant with me - unless it’s a game I absolutely adore I don’t and that extra 20-30% of content. The judgment games are another one - I really like them and I’m currently playing the original but it didn’t have to be 35 / 55 hours really. A nice tight 20 /35 would have been perfect. My take anyway.
It also has a problem where it finally feels like you're about to wrap things up but the final dungeon(s) take another 10-20 hours to finish. I was really happy when it finally ended.

People who replayed Royale after beating the original game are certifiably mad. Probably yer man @Massive Spanner

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
It also has a problem where it finally feels like you're about to wrap things up but the final dungeon(s) take another 10-20 hours to finish. I was really happy when it finally ended.

People who replayed Royale after beating the original game are certifiably mad. Probably yer man @Massive Spanner
Yes, I gave up in the final dungeon.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Not sure but almost every review has said they're largely a bit rubbish and fetchy and very few actually give anything decent, and you're not missing much by not doing them. Seems there are some that do drop good armor/crafting stuff though that you don't want to miss.
I'm quite early in but they show up on your display as green icons and will also be on the local map so if you check when you enter an area should be hard to miss.
I had a look online and it seems like you get to points in the story where they pop up like the FF7 remake so you should only miss them if you avoid them so to speak.

crossy1686

career ending
So is this good then? Worth getting? Played FF since the original FF7 and enjoyed them right up to FF10 and then the remake of FF7.

How does this compare the more recent FF’s and is it better than 15?

15 was alright but pretty boring, never got round to finishing it.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
So is this good then? Worth getting? Played FF since the original FF7 and enjoyed them right up to FF10 and then the remake of FF7.

How does this compare the more recent FF’s and is it better than 15?

15 was alright but pretty boring, never got round to finishing it.
Much better than 15. The combat is better too, though I'm not a huge fan yet. I love DMC and hoped it would be similar and while it is at a glance it's a rather simplified version of it. Elements also do not make a difference at all reducing magic to not much more than a generic ranged attack with a few colours.

Story and overall feel is great though and the spectacle in combination with the amazing soundtrack is mental.

I do feel Japanese devs have fallen severely behind on the west regarding world design and side quests. It's pretty, but there is not that much interactivity and how you can still design a game with a quest that asks you to collect wood from an npc 5 yards away and bring it back is just stupid.

Last edited: