Music Fiona Apple

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Couldn't find a thread. New album of hers got a 10 on pitchfork which is the first album to do so in 10 years apparently.

I had never listened to her before, but tried the new album today and I quite liked it. Wouldn't have predicted it would get a perfect score on pitchfork, but then I guess they are quite odd with their ratings sometimes.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Couldn't find a thread. New album of hers got a 10 on pitchfork which is the first album to do so in 10 years apparently.

I had never listened to her before, but tried the new album today and I quite liked it. Wouldn't have predicted it would get a perfect score on pitchfork, but then I guess they are quite odd with their ratings sometimes.
IMHO she can be compared to Joplin and Dylan when it comes to song writing. There is a good (and very long) piece on her in the New Yorker: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/03/23/fiona-apples-art-of-radical-sensitivity

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I remember tripping on magic truffles once and thinking she has the most beautiful name I could imagine.

Her music is a bit of a hit and miss, on the other hand. I'm not a huge fan of the new album.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
When The Pawn... is worth a try. Surely won't appeal to everybody (I like only parts of it), but it's a pretty special record.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I think the new album is great. The songs are really restless, constantly taking unpredictable turns while her lyrics, as ever, are stunning. She's brilliant.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
It's pretty good so far. Not what I expected from her given 'criminal'.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
It's pretty good so far. Not what I expected from her given 'criminal'.
That was almost 25 years ago. And did you mean the song or the music video? The visuals of that video were pretty messed up given her past anyways.

I also completely understand that a lot of people don’t care for her music since it is rather strange/awkward from time to time. But her lyrics have always been immense.

And in regards to on-stage presence:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Gave the first few tracks a listen and whilst I recognise it seems quite well thought out and put together I just found it a bit grating. Especially as I'm listening to music as I work from home.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Apparently it's the highest rated album ever on metacritic, so it's not just Pitchfork who are gushing about it.

But yeah, she's fab. Her last album The Idler Wheel popped up in a load of the end of decade lists too. Just a shame she takes so long between albums.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Just checked this out since it’s the highest rated record of 2020 on rateyourmusic.

It’s ok, but I’m missing something I think.

Withnail

Gave the first few tracks a listen and whilst I recognise it seems quite well thought out and put together I just found it a bit grating. Especially as I'm listening to music as I work from home.
Not all music is suited to every activity.

If music demands my attention I can't have it in while I'm working.

I'd give it a listen in a different setting, if you haven't already.

I've just downloaded it and am very excited to give it a listen.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
She's back!? Brilliant, looking forward to listening to the new album.

"The Idler Wheel..." was one of the best of the 2010s. Excellent stuff.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Bolt Cutters is excellent, very enjoyable from first till tenth listen.

Pitchfork is shit though and their review for this album is shit.