Fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris | 15th April 2019

Supports
Barcelona
There are firefighters inside!!

The next hour and a half will be crucial to efforts to save what remains of the Notre Dame cathedral, said Jean-Claude Gallet, commander general of the Paris Fire Brigade.

“There’s a risk that the great bell falls. If the bell falls, it’s the tower that collapses. There are firefighters inside and outside. The next hour and a half will be crucial,” he told reporters on the scene.
“We need to win this battle and block the spreading of the flames. The most efficient action is from the inside. We are not sure if we will be able to stop the spreading of the flames to the North Tower," he said.

He said the initial call to emergency services notified authorities of a fire in the attic of the cathedral, although the cause of the blaze is unknown.

“We are evacuating the most precious artwork that is being sheltered,” Gallet said.

From CNN

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Some insurance company somewhere will be thinking ‘oh sh*t’.
It’ll be a significant hit but generally risks this big are shared between multiple insurers and they’ll have reinsured parts of their risk too so it won’t be one person hammered as much as you’d think.

Smores

I mean rebuilding isn't the issue either, iconic history can't be replaced. Just got to hope nothing further collapses

binary bot
This would be out by now if they had flying water tankers. Must act quickly

acnumber9

This is like when the Primark in Belfast burnt down. Two cultural landmarks in two great cities gone.

binary bot
They couldn't use those cause everything would collapse.
Giant flying tanker freezer? Freezes everything so that it puts the fire out whilst holding the structure in place.

Infra-red

BBC: Junior French Interior Minister saying that they are more optimistic than a few hours ago that they can save Notre Dame. Another three or four hours are needed to contain the fire.

Also reporting that one firefighter has been seriously injured.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
BBC: Junior French Interior Minister saying that they are more optimistic than a few hours ago that they can save Notre Dame. Another three or four hours are needed to contain the fire.

Also reporting that one firefighter has been seriously injured.
If only one serious injury is the end result here then if can be called a small miracle imho.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
My eldest kid is 5. I hope he gets to walk inside it one day.

Siorac

It's also meaningless words.

Our efforts of 'This is sad' are better.
It's not like he can actually DO anything though. Words is all he can offer and all words are 'meaningless', in the sense that they won't stop the fire.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
It's not like he can actually DO anything though. Words is all he can offer and all words are 'meaningless', in the sense that they won't stop the fire.
Indeed.

It was the idea that somehow waffling pointlessly was 'presidential' and thus good, that I was questioning.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
To think of how many times that building survived war and to vanish like that, it is inexcusable. Frankly if this is just “human error”... then someone has to pay for mismanagement.
The main structure will be fine and the rest can be rebuilt. I've already referenced Dresden's Frauenkirche, look it up and see what can be done with time and hard work.