Florentino Pérez: The saviour of football.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
His interview yesterday to someone who knew little about this man (other than he was Real Madrid's pantomime villain president) was very enlightening. Here stood the gluttonous, mendacious mentalist who is to be the driving force behind football's next chapter. I can't speak on behalf of fans in England, but I know that many saw this poundshop Donald Trump and thought the exact thing I did. What a fecking knobhead.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
His interview yesterday to someone who knew little about this man (other than he was Real Madrid's pantomime villain president) was very enlightening. Here stood the gluttonous, mendacious mentalist who is to be the driving force behind football's next chapter. I can't speak on behalf of fans in England, but I know that many saw this poundshop Donald Trump and thought the exact thing I did. What a fecking knobhead.
This makes me think they should have approached LvG as spokesperson instead. He d have yelled FC Bayern so many times they would have caved and the Super League would now be a fact.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Our great leader :drool: who has effectively managed to sequester our club :lol: third time in a row he ran unopposed because no one else could run against him...

To be honest he dropped a lot of truth bombs, but also, a lot of disingenous crap, and lastly, i reiterate: if you wanna do a superleague, do it properly! This whole closed circle nonsense is just not something anybody's gonna get behind. Football seasons don't have enough games to get away with a lot of meaningless ones
Other than mentioning Madrid need money, what were the other ones? He stated a lot of verifiably false claims in his El Chiringuito interview and a lot of opinions that were either inane in nature or actually batshit insane.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
This guy think it’s 1926, where you can blatantly lie to people and they just take it lying down. People are better informed these days and probable to making their own judgement.
It’s not the responsibility of British, French, German or European football to bail Spanish football out of their own holes. We have our own financial issue plus mercenary owner(no wonder they fell for it).
Barca and Madrid have been reckless for years, allowing for some of their dominance. Maybe it’s time for the people doing things the right way like Bayern or someone else be where they are supposed to be.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Other than mentioning Madrid need money, what were the other ones? He stated a lot of verifiably false claims in his El Chiringuito interview and a lot of opinions that were either inane in nature or actually batshit insane.
That football *is* in a bad way right now financially, that the champions league only truly picks up interest from march, that those 12 clubs are basically the ones keeping the lights on for everyone else, etc, i don't remember everything hehsaid :D

Lee565

Say what you want about the slimey git, he at least fronted the media about the super league idea and didn't hide like the rest of the cowards.

RoyH1

Say what you want about the slimey git, he at least fronted the media about the super league idea and didn't hide like the rest of the cowards.
Good point. He's a greedy, arrogant, entitled c**t but at least he's up front about and doesn't hide behind his PR department like those weasel American owners.
What's Stan Kroenke doing these days?

Grande

This guy think it’s 1926, where you can blatantly lie to people and they just take it lying down. People are better informed these days and probable to making their own judgement.
It’s not the responsibility of British, French, German or European football to bail Spanish football out of their own holes. We have our own financial issue plus mercenary owner(no wonder they fell for it).
Barca and Madrid have been reckless for years, allowing for some of their dominance. Maybe it’s time for the people doing things the right way like Bayern or someone else be where they are supposed to be.
Yea, this day and age would never see democratically elected leaders like Trump, Putin and Boris Johnson. People are just too well informed.

Lee565

Good point. He's a greedy, arrogant, entitled c**t but at least he's up front about and doesn't hide behind his PR department like those weasel American owners.
What's Stan Kroenke doing these days?
Probably out in Africa shooting one of the few remaining species of an animal

The Purley King

That football *is* in a bad way right now financially, that the champions league only truly picks up interest from march, that those 12 clubs are basically the ones keeping the lights on for everyone else, etc, i don't remember everything hehsaid :D
Football is in a bad way financially, but for Barca and Madrid especially you surely cannot deny that the cause of the financial problems is the complete mismanagement of the finances. Its not up to anyone else (apart from maybe the Spanish government again) to bail you guys out. Sorry about that.
CL - I agree could use some changes.
The big 12 of course generate the most revenue and are the most valuable. That categorically does not permit them an even bigger slice of the pie to exacerbate the discrepancy between them and everyone else. That is the thinking which has made La Liga fall way behind EPL in terms of watchability.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Yeah, credit where credit is due, he is ballsy. Just a shame a about the rest of his personality.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Football is in a bad way financially, but for Barca and Madrid especially you surely cannot deny that the cause of the financial problems is the complete mismanagement of the finances. Its not up to anyone else (apart from maybe the Spanish government again) to bail you guys out. Sorry about that.
CL - I agree could use some changes.
The big 12 of course generate the most revenue and are the most valuable. That categorically does not permit them an even bigger slice of the pie to exacerbate the discrepancy between them and everyone else. That is the thinking which has made La Liga fall way behind EPL in terms of watchability.
Exactly this. The PL has become the best selling product because the equitable nature of its structure allows for real competition even from the lower ranked teams in the league.

justsomebloke

I've read a lot of criticism about Perez and while I can understand it, few people know about the incredibly determined person he actually is. When he says he wants to save football it isn't a catchphrase or empty platitude, the man means exactly what he says and if his past is an indicator of future actions then we will be thanking him down the line for doing exactly that.

I don't like to bring up my past as it's hard to speak about but one experience with Perez comes to mind. It was the middle of the Vietnam war and our company had been slowly reduced to just 6 men. We were barely functional and our objective had become terrifyingly simple...stay alive and get back before the Koreans finished us off completely. We were ambushed by a small number from the imperial army and during the firefight a grenade was rolled into our trench. Without a seconds hesitation Perez forward rolled onto it absorbing the full impact and losing all of his legs, knowing he would never walk again. He patched himself up and guided us back to Pattaya without mentioning his sacrifice once, stopping only to help those who were struggling to keep pace. When we reached our rallying point he turned around and began to walk back along the path we had come. We called out to him and asked where he was going and I'll never forget the sad smile on his face as he replied in perfect mandarin "When the war stops I will stop". My last memory was of him running back through that jungle alone.
:lol: Brilliant stuff

justsomebloke

A bit of respect to our president, dear founding members
Sorry, not going to happen. Maybe he'll get some respect when he stops talking like a man who's so convinced of the irresistible hugeness of what he represents that he doesn't have to make sense. Like when he's confronted with the threat of exclusion from international competitions, and answers that by just saying "No, that's not going to happen. Believe me. I'm sure of it." As if that is a compelling argument, and no one could possibly entertain such notions if he assures them it's not the case. He just takes his authority for granted, and does not seem to realise that he sounds like the village idiot. Why should such a person be shown respect? He deserves only contempt and ridicule.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Sorry, not going to happen. Maybe he'll get some respect when he stops talking like a man who's so convinced of the irresistible hugeness of what he represents that he doesn't have to make sense. Like when he's confronted with the threat of exclusion from international competitions, and answers that by just saying "No, that's not going to happen. Believe me. I'm sure of it." As if that is a compelling argument, and no one could possibly entertain such notions if he assures them it's not the case. He just takes his authority for granted, and does not seem to realise that he sounds like the village idiot. Why should such a person be shown respect? He deserves only contempt and ridicule.
He was wrong in the interview and in the ways , no doubt but I agree with what he said about Uefa, which seems to have suddenly found enough money to invest. In the end PSG and City are the saviors of the values of continental football and Milan, Madrid, Barça or Juve are the culprits?
He has my full support for whatever he decides

justsomebloke

Sure football is in a bad way right now, but that's because of Covid, not because of flaws in the CL format. CL only picks up in March? Would that be better if we spent the first part of the season playing 18 games for no other purpose than deciding who goes to the playoffs, which is practically everybody?

That these clubs are keeping the lights on for everyone else is just flat out not true. How would that be the case? What, are they giving money to Bradford and Deportivo la Coruna?

Simple truth is Covid's been a financial disaster for football, and it's been worse for the Spanish giants because a) La Liga is less competitive and consequently less marketable for the TV revenue which keeps things afloat and b) they've made themselves vulnerable as a result of how they've managed their finances.

It's like they can't imagine any other way out of this morass than quickly getting more money. Here's a thought: Run the club sustainably. Get success by other means than spending like drunk sailors on marquee names. It's not like it's not possible, look at Bayern.

Robbo 7

Florentino Perez has been claiming poverty and that football can't survive without the ESL. But it is his club, that for decades now, has spent vast amounts of money on player transfers and wages. In 2001 they signed Zidane for a reported fee of around €75M..... at the time the record transfer was far lower. They have Gareth Bale on loan to Spurs for €600k p/w.....

Real Madrid have seen the likes of PSG and Man City's owners come in and they can't compete.

For football to survive we need to stop ludicrous transfer fees and wages. More importantly we need to get rid of the rats sucking the money out of the game.... the agents... and Raiola should be the first one all the clubs agree to not deal with!

justsomebloke

He was wrong in the interview and in the ways , no doubt but I agree with what he said about Uefa, which seems to have suddenly found enough money to invest. In the end PSG and City are the saviors of the values of continental football and Milan, Madrid, Barça or Juve are the culprits?
He has my full support for whatever he decides
Sorry, but what does it matter if there are negative things to say about PSG, City or UEFA? In this instance, they are doing the right thing. It doesn't mean that they are suddenly shiny, admirable clubs and institutions, but to think it makes what these clubs are doing any better to point at the failings of some of those two aren't is just ridiculous. I'd rather put it this way: This is so bad that not even PSG, City or UEFA will countenance it.

Also, his criticism of the CL is as vapid, unsubstantiated and unbacked by any argument as the other things he says. There may be such arguments, but if so he doesn't give them. He just states as a fact that "the current system doesn't work". Doesn't it? How? Why? For whom? The gist of the problem seems to be that it doesn't provide Real Madrid with enough money. I doubt that is seen as much of a failing in a lot of other places.

Also, I don't understand how a fan can say something like "He has my full support for whatever he decides". Why, do you trust this man? Do you feel he speaks for you? That your club is in good hands? A little bit of a contrast with how the Glazers and Woodward are regarded around here.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
You wouldn't see Bayern pay c£90m (plus a shit load of potential add-ons) for a 28 year old and pay wages of (allegedly) £400k+ per week?

Just feels like Perez is on a permanent ego trip... spend, spend, spend, glory, glory, glory. But when the roundabout stops, you're fecked.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He can surely be a success in the telecomunications, construction and energies branch, but his football club management really fails in comparison

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I've read a lot of criticism about Perez and while I can understand it, few people know about the incredibly determined person he actually is. When he says he wants to save football it isn't a catchphrase or empty platitude, the man means exactly what he says and if his past is an indicator of future actions then we will be thanking him down the line for doing exactly that.

I don't like to bring up my past as it's hard to speak about but one experience with Perez comes to mind. It was the middle of the Vietnam war and our company had been slowly reduced to just 6 men. We were barely functional and our objective had become terrifyingly simple...stay alive and get back before the Koreans finished us off completely. We were ambushed by a small number from the imperial army and during the firefight a grenade was rolled into our trench. Without a seconds hesitation Perez forward rolled onto it absorbing the full impact and losing all of his legs, knowing he would never walk again. He patched himself up and guided us back to Pattaya without mentioning his sacrifice once, stopping only to help those who were struggling to keep pace. When we reached our rallying point he turned around and began to walk back along the path we had come. We called out to him and asked where he was going and I'll never forget the sad smile on his face as he replied in perfect mandarin "When the war stops I will stop". My last memory was of him running back through that jungle alone.
ffs :lol:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Sorry, but what does it matter if there are negative things to say about PSG, City or UEFA? In this instance, they are doing the right thing. It doesn't mean that they are suddenly shiny, admirable clubs and institutions, but to think it makes what these clubs are doing any better to point at the failings of some of those two aren't is just ridiculous. I'd rather put it this way: This is so bad that not even PSG, City or UEFA will countenance it.

Also, his criticism of the CL is as vapid, unsubstantiated and unbacked by any argument as the other things he says. There may be such arguments, but if so he doesn't give them. He just states as a fact that "the current system doesn't work". Doesn't it? How? Why? For whom? The gist of the problem seems to be that it doesn't provide Real Madrid with enough money. I doubt that is seen as much of a failing in a lot of other places.

Also, I don't understand how a fan can say something like "He has my full support for whatever he decides". Why, do you trust this man? Do you feel he speaks for you? That your club is in good hands? A little bit of a contrast with how the Glazers and Woodward are regarded around here.
He explains it clearly. He said that there are insubstantial games that do not interest young people and I think he is right.
He said that football really starts in March, and explained how it would be a top game from September.
Both in the interview and in other articles it is implied that this model is not enough for them to compete with other teams with unlimited money. Their objective is to win, not to participate and I think it is good that they denounce if they consider that the uefa is not working well.
Florentino does not speak for me, there are things that I don't agree but yes, in general I think he loves the club and watches over their interests, in the short and long term, and logically for the amount of trophies he has contributed

justsomebloke

A lot of Real Madrid fans are still defending him. Mostly because they think that Real Madrid is entitled to be the biggest football club forever and no pesky up-start English team should be in a position to threaten Real's dominance.

Of all the fanbase, the Real Madrid fans are probably the most plastic fanbase of all.
There certainly seems to be a certain readiness to conflate "saving football" with "saving Real Madrid", or even "allowing Real Madrid to just go on like before".

justsomebloke

He explains it clearly. He said that there are insubstantial games that do not interest young people and I think he is right.
He said that football really starts in March, and explained how it would be a top game from September.
Both in the interview and in other articles it is implied that this model is not enough for them to compete with other teams with unlimited money. Their objective is to win, not to participate and I think it is good that they denounce if they consider that the uefa is not working well.
Florentino does not speak for me, there are things that I don't agree but yes, in general I think he loves the club and watches over their interests, in the short and long term, and logically for the amount of trophies he has contributed
But it is quite debatable whether games in the current format are insubstantial, or that "football really starts in March". And even more so whether a large number of games between the same clubs every year just to determine which 16 of 20 clubs get to the playoffs really is a lot more interesting. Especially when that ultimately goes at the expense of National leagues, where every games matters. And in any case, the issue involved there is if the SL would be better for Real Madrid and a handful of other clubs, not whether it's better for football. His claim to know what "young people" want I frankly don't take seriously.

Also, the measure of how well UEFA is working is not the extent to which it enables Real Madrid, or Manchester United, to compete with other teams with "unlimited money". Anyway, if that's the concern, then argue for stricter and better FFP. He's not - instead he wants to ensure that Real Madrid gets unlimited money too. You know as well as I do that RMs position of dominance is ultimately based on its ability to outspend and financially dominate almost everyone else in Europe. That's okay, you could to a large extent say the same for Manchester United. But that doesn't mean it's legitimate, or good for football, to place that concern above every other. That is to have fallen in love with the notion of our own inherent greatness to a frankly rather unlikable degree. We shouldn't forget that the whole system is already massively rigged in our (ie, the big clubs) favor. It is hugely easier for these clubs to build a CL contender than it is for anyone else. Why should the balance be tilted still further? That only aggravates exactly the thing that is being given as the reason why we need the SL.....

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
But it is quite debatable whether games in the current format are insubstantial, or that "football really starts in March". And even more so whether a large number of games between the same clubs every year just to determine which 16 of 20 clubs get to the playoffs really is a lot more interesting. Especially when that ultimately goes at the expense of National leagues, where every games matters. And in any case, the issue involved there is if the SL would be better for Real Madrid and a handful of other clubs, not whether it's better for football. His claim to know what "young people" want I frankly don't take seriously.

Also, the measure of how well UEFA is working is not the extent to which it enables Real Madrid, or Manchester United, to compete with other teams with "unlimited money". Anyway, if that's the concern, then argue for stricter and better FFP. He's not - instead he wants to ensure that Real Madrid gets unlimited money too. You know as well as I do that RMs position of dominance is ultimately based on its ability to outspend and financially dominate almost everyone else in Europe. That's okay, you could to a large extent say the same for Manchester United. But that doesn't mean it's legitimate, or good for football, to place that concern above every other. That is to have fallen in love with the notion of our own inherent greatness to a frankly rather unlikable degree. We shouldn't forget that the whole system is already massively rigged in our (ie, the big clubs) favor. It is hugely easier for these clubs to build a CL contender than it is for anyone else. Why should the balance be tilted still further? That only aggravates exactly the thing that is being given as the reason why we need the SL.....
Perhaps insubstantial is not the word. Unattractive, unbalanced. For example, it is an Andorra Poland where Lewandowski is injured, a Barcelona 5 Ferencvaros 1, or United Istanbul.
I don't think they would go to the playoffs with so many teams, if its as you say then it's of course a bad idea, from what I understood it would be 4 and 4?.
Regarding the leagues, the same teams always win and in a high percentage the Champions League positions are similar. I have assumed that there will not be many more Leicester/Deportivo winning the leagues, nor more Steauas or Red Star winning the Champions League, unless it is with a lot of money.
They already argued for a better FFP, these clubs started with the complaints years ago, and now for what I read there won't be FFP.
Nor is it good for football to bring more and more teams in champions. Regarding the sympathies that you say, Madrid in particular is not in a good position but before yesterday clubs/fans did not receive them with flowers either.
In the end, although they failed, there are a number of clubs that consider that the model has to change,and those teams have been in the competition for 60 years, they will know something.
*and of course, all this admitting that everything was a plan to earn more money than the rest and control the competition

Brightonian

:lol: pitch perfect.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Football is in a bad way financially, but for Barca and Madrid especially you surely cannot deny that the cause of the financial problems is the complete mismanagement of the finances.
No, it's COVID
Sure football is in a bad way right now, but that's because of Covid, not because of flaws in the CL format. CL only picks up in March? Would that be better if we spent the first part of the season playing 18 games for no other purpose than deciding who goes to the playoffs, which is practically everybody?
Obviously you change the format to make those games matter

That these clubs are keeping the lights on for everyone else is just flat out not true. How would that be the case? What, are they giving money to Bradford and Deportivo la Coruna?
In a way, yes. These clubs are the ones bringing in the huge TV money deals everybody else relies in to survive, and the money trickles down from there

Why do you think the reaction from UEFA and the leagues was like this? They weren't fighting against greed, they were fighting for their survival

He can surely be a success in the telecomunications, construction and energies branch, but his football club management really fails in comparison
He got like 5 things right as president of real madrid, and the moment he went and did things his way he screwed up :lol:

His effective kidnapping of the club was an evil genius masterstroke though, i'll give him that. The cnut

The Purley King

No, it's COVID
If you run your finances so close to the wire that you cannot survive something unexpected and have very little or no contingency (although I concede that nobody could have expected/predicted something as serious as covid) then you are putting the company you run at risk.

Foxbatt

How could anyone, even the most fervent Madrid fan side with someone who says things like this? Absolutely mental.

"If young people say football matches are too long, maybe it's because that match isn't too interesting or maybe we have to shorten the length of matches."
Because most of them think like him. Without Real Madrid there is no football. They want to save their own asses and to hell with the others.

justsomebloke

Obviously you change the format to make those games matter
Well, there's no "obviously" to that, given that this is the format that has been presented. Also, bear in mind the underlying model, which is that of NA professional sports. Which is based on a regular season with plenty of revenue-bringing games, but no real purpose other than qualifying for the playoffs, which is the thing that matters. And you can't have it both ways - if you make the early phase more meaningful for example by only letting the top 8 teams qualify directly for the knockout phase, then you also make the later phase a lot less appealing by making a large number of big teams miss the real part.

However, the biggest problem with all of this is that a solution that fixes the european competition by destroying the national league is not a solution. And, that is what this would do. As things are today, few would question that the CL is the highest level of competition, one step above any national league. Yet, no one really perceives the CL as a threat to any national league. Why is that? Simple: It's because they are connected. In order to get to the CL, you have to perform well in your national league. Hence, the national leagues harness and benefit from the prestige of the CL, which is a complementary source of prestige rather than a competing one. Snap that link, and that's gone. This is actually an impressively successful aspect of the current CL format, quite an achievement. And this is the crucial thing to protect in any revamping of European competitions, in my view.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

fecking hell. :lol:

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Because most of them think like him. Without Real Madrid there is no football. They want to save their own asses and to hell with the others.
Yeah, it was kind of rhetorical but ....

A lot of us have/might generalise about Madrid (club and fans) but the last three days has actually added quite a bit of weight to the perception.

Bit sad really.

I'd rather come 5th (in an open competition/league system) than win against a limited number - the full competition element MAKES the success what it is. As Pep says, without it, that's not sport?

(Anyone know if the Barca socios have voted yet? Hopefully a no and Perez can be the last one at the party... switch the lights off on your way out mate)

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
If you run your finances so close to the wire that you cannot survive something unexpected and have very little or no contingency (although I concede that nobody could have expected/predicted something as serious as covid) then you are putting the company you run at risk.
I agree in principle, but this is a unique situation. The club wasn't at risk before COVID, in fact it was one of the most financially healthy clubs in the world. You can't possibly plan for a situation where you lose €400 millions in the space of a year...