Florian Wirtz | Leverkusen player

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

We're not in a good position right now at all and he's pretty young so I'm sure he wouldn't risk coming here, the other big names we signed were mostly towards the end of their careers.
A 23 year old Pogba when we didn't even have CL football to offer?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
A 23 year old Pogba when we didn't even have CL football to offer?
Our reputation had only started to suffer back then, we're fully in the deep now however.

We would have a non zero chance of signing him obviously but we wouldn't be the favourites by any means, probably won't the cash for it either.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Our reputation had only started to suffer back then, we're fully in the deep now however.

We would have a non zero chance of signing him obviously but we wouldn't be the favourites by any means, probably won't the cash for it either.
The bolded part is probably true, and to be honest, I'd rather see us spend the money on other positions and keep Bruno around for another couple of years. At 21, he looks even slower than Bruno and easier to shrug off the ball.

Righteous Steps

It’s hard to be a world beater number 10 without great pace.

The greatest ones in history have normally shared this quality, Pele, Cruyff, Maradona even Zico was no slouch.

If you don’t have that type of pace then normally you have to supplement it with a incredible IQ I.e Platini, or extraordinary ball ability for example Zidane.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
A few days ago, the Marca reported that Real Madrid has reached an agreement with Wirtz' camp over a transfer in 2025. Marca claims the sources are the same persons who claimed that Mbappe to Madrid was a done deal in Decembre when both parties still denied it. Apparently, Madrid is aware that Wirtz will cost €150m upwards and is willing to pay that price in a year's time. Meanwhile, Deco in his role as Barca's director of football seems to have made Wirtz his priority target for 2025 as well but the club lacks the necessary financial backing. Wirtz on the other hand is on record of saying that he was a Barca and especially Messi fan in his youth.

Original source: https://www.marca.com/futbol/real-madrid/2024/06/09/666409f0ca4741a1428b45c6.html

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
A few days ago, the Marca reported that Real Madrid has reached an agreement with Wirtz' camp over a transfer in 2025. Marca claims the sources are the same persons who claimed that Mbappe to Madrid was a done deal in Decembre when both parties still denied it. Apparently, Madrid is aware that Wirtz will cost €150m upwards and is willing to pay that price in a year's time. Meanwhile, Deco in his role as Barca's director of football seems to have made Wirtz his priority target for 2025 as well but the club lacks the necessary financial backing. Wirtz on the other hand is on record of saying that he was a Barca and especially Messi fan in his youth.

Original source: https://www.marca.com/futbol/real-madrid/2024/06/09/666409f0ca4741a1428b45c6.html
A lot can happen in a year. Davies seemed like a lock-in and now…not so much.

I do wonder how Wirtz will fit. Assuming we stick with the 4 midfielder setup next season:

Jude
Cama
Fede
Tchou

With Mbappe and Vini up top. Then you have Guler, Endrick and Rodrygo on the bench. Not sure how we’ll fit Wirtz into the team.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
A lot can happen in a year. Davies seemed like a lock-in and now…not so much.

I do wonder how Wirtz will fit. Assuming we stick with the 4 midfielder setup next season:

Jude
Cama
Fede
Tchou

With Mbappe and Vini up top. Then you have Guler, Endrick and Rodrygo on the bench. Not sure how we’ll fit Wirtz into the team.
That midfield four lacks a bit in playmaking? All four are good passers but neither one is capable (yet?) of setting the tempo in midfield. I'd imagine that Madrid is going to need such player with Kroos (and, eventually, Modrić) gone — and Wirtz looks like a potentially great option.