Football at the Olympics

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
They were also fighting for freedom. If they get an olympic medal of any kind, they gain exemption from 2 years of the mandatory military service that all Korean men must serve. This is crucial for a footballer who has short primes to make money. Our Park Ji Sung was exempt from their 2002 World Cup run, but for these U23 players, that incentive is in the millions of dollars and career goals.
I'd say that is BS, it might factor maybe 10% but it was their national pride up at stake and their sheer determination/teamwork and style of play has been like this for years, not because those 23 year olds want to get exemption from the military. From my Korean friends, they take pride in doing their military duties and is a family honour to full fill their duties.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Can someone explain to me what Aaron Ramsey is actually supposed to be good at?

I don't think I've watched a game he's played in where he's not been noticably worse at football than most of the other players on the pitch. He takes longer than anyone else to decide what to do with the ball, then usually picks the wrong option, and then usually cocks up the execution.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Delighted they fecked up. Stuart Pearce is a wankstain, and not including Beckham in the squad was fecking handicapped.

Drainy

Delighted they fecked up. Stuart Pearce is a wankstain, and not including Beckham in the squad was fecking handicapped.
Part of me thinks maybe the City fans deserve their club winning the lottery and getting boosted up to big boy status after putting up that that guy as their manager for a year or so..

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I doubt Becks would have made any difference.

He correctly went for 3 players in different positions to give balance as far as experience is concernd

surf

The European teams are always going to be handicapped at the Olympics because it is a month after the Euros and most of their best under 23 or over-age players will not be playing as they will be recovering from the Euros and resting before the new season. It's no surprise that most of them sank without trace.

DevilRed

Honestly I don't understand how stuart pearce has lasted so long with the FA. He has done a commendable job bringing up the youngsters and what not, but its high time we went for a change and bring someone in with a more modern approach to the game.

DevilRed

Can someone explain to me what Aaron Ramsey is actually supposed to be good at?

I don't think I've watched a game he's played in where he's not been noticably worse at football than most of the other players on the pitch. He takes longer than anyone else to decide what to do with the ball, then usually picks the wrong option, and then usually cocks up the execution.
I know its stating the obvious, but after the leg break incident, it doesn't seem like he is quite the same player. He was really playing well for a teenager up until that point. Never really recaptured the same form since.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
What? I don't actually mind Pearce. He's a bit of a shit manager with a poor approach to the game but he seems like a decent enough guy who was dedicated as a footballer.

Picking Beckham would've been a bad decision. They already had Giggs and Bellamy for their older players, both of whom can play on the wing and are probably better than Beckham.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
He's a work in progress, like Anderson but 3 years younger.
How much do you reckon the injury's put him back?

I can't see him as a CM really, he's more of a floating attacking midfielder, but even then his output and decision making is letting him down, as is his speed of thought.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Was Sturridge trying to confuse the GK? Or just us?

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
I know its stating the obvious, but after the leg break incident, it doesn't seem like he is quite the same player. He was really playing well for a teenager up until that point. Never really recaptured the same form since.
Yeah same thing happened to Possebon that never recovered his form after the Pogatetz tackle.

Mersault

Not that I'm a fan of Psycho, I'm not, but I thought it was the first time I've seen an "England"/Britain side play something remotely close to possession football. I don't really think Becks was the answer there. The one fault I'd say with the selection was not picking an out-and-out striker for the team who can play alone up front. I mean, even if they'd have taken Crouch or Bent as one of the 3 over-age players, it would have made a major difference to their shape in the last attacking third. Midfield I thought looked tidy. Granted I didn't watch every minute of every game, but the Ramsey bashing surely must be down to those minutes I missed, as he did pretty decent IMO.

Great experience for Cleverley. And he gets the responsibility to take a pen in a "major" tournament as well as all the set-pieces.

Compared to most of the other teams, this side had a lot less time to gel and gain match-fitness. Overall, a very good pre-season:D

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Marcos - you're back.

Don't you know you're supposed to be in the transfer forum explaining who Ezequiel Cirigliano is?

Meanwhile - if women's football had goalkeepers and the players were all fulltime professionals, so energy levels didn't let them down, the teams would be very good indeed.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I'd say that is BS, it might factor maybe 10% but it was their national pride up at stake and their sheer determination/teamwork and style of play has been like this for years, not because those 23 year olds want to get exemption from the military. From my Korean friends, they take pride in doing their military duties and is a family honour to full fill their duties.
Well said. :)

Cal?

CR7 fan
what a great game! although normally i'd root for japan -underdogs- i want france to win this after what the french ladies have done
Actually you'd find that all the bookies made Japan favourites for the game before KO.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I bet all the Canadians are at the Trailer Park watching the match with Julian, Ricky, and Bubbles.