Gaming Football Manager 2009

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
You 'fort?'

fecking hell. Can people be un-promoted?

(On a side note, fair fecking effort there)

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
On another side note - I'd LOVE the Serbian National job, their side looks bloody awesome.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
i was offered the chance to manage either Brazil or England in the year before the world cup....very tempting, but i had to decline.

On a different note, is there any way to "persuade" a player to accept your requests to learn a move.
Point in case - my recently-turned-awesome regen Tomas Svrcek has scored an average of 2 goals per game for the last 8 games (after previously being thoroughly mediocre), almost all of which are from range. I try to get him to "Shoot From Distance" but he disagrees, claiming that learning such a skill would not be beneficial to his game.
Im thinking that if I get De Rossi (who has the shoots from distance trait) to tutor him, that might work, but is there a better way?

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
I don't see why people would decline international jobs. I love doing my club job and then every now and then having an international, makes it more fun. In FM 08 i managed Unitd to the league title and then in the summer won the world cup with the Czech Republic, beating Paraguay in the final (?).

On another side note - I'd LOVE the Serbian National job, their side looks bloody awesome.
I've got that at the moment, beat someone rubbish 4-0, then beat Romania 3-0, but unfortunately we aren't in the top pot of seeds for 2014 WC qualification. So, we were just beaten 1-0 at home by Holland.

So, it's a three way tie (with Holland and Finland) at the top on 6 points, although iirc I'm the only side to have played three games. Basically, just need to do well against Finland and Romania and a play-off will be there for the taking

On a different note, is there any way to "persuade" a player to accept your requests to learn a move.
Does he like you?
Do you have a good reputation?

I suspect those things would have an influence, as if he doesn't particularly like or respect you, he's hardly going to be thrilled about doing what you say

Boothy

I don't see why people would decline international jobs. I love doing my club job and then every now and then having an international, makes it more fun. In FM 08 i managed Unitd to the league title and then in the summer won the world cup with the Czech Republic, beating Paraguay in the final (?).
I didn't realise you could manage both at same time :(

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Strange tale this: My brother took charge at Ipswich when they were in the prem, but got relegated 2 YEARS RUNNING, yet he still has his job.

He said he's been strapped for cash and the team he inherited was PURE shit, the sales before he joined crippled him... but he's sticking to it with a takeover apparently in talks, but "On the rocks"

Just lost my first league game of the season, injuries to Vidic and Santon left me stretched defensively....and we'd just come back from the Club World, and players were already pretty tired.

Shame the defeat had to be against City, still lead the league by 3 points mind

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Does he like you?
Do you have a good reputation?

I suspect those things would have an influence, as if he doesn't particularly like or respect you, he's hardly going to be thrilled about doing what you say
I have a fantastic reputation. As for whether he likes me, im not really sure;

On the one hand, I signed Fabregas in the January transfer window which concerned him (Svrcek) because he thought it would limit his first team opportunities. I told him he would still get some chances and he accepted that, but he was only ever a rotation player at that point, and I listed him for transfer and loan for a while along with another midfielder - hoping to sell either one of them (but not both).
On the other hand, I gave him some good chances in a reformed 3-man midfield (due to injures to my attackers, I normally play with a 2-man midfield) with license to push forward and shoot from range a lot (one of his strengths), he rewarded my faith by scoring 12 goals in 6 games, which in turn propelled him from a mediocre prospect to winning Players' Young Player of the Year - which he then said was down to me.

Basically, the lad should love me, and he scores 90% of his goals from long range screamers, yet for some reason he doesnt think that adopting the "Shoots From Distance" would improve his game.

phelans shorts

well i beat pool on away goals :D they scored after 10 minutes from torres, who then got another on 84 minutes, with me chasing the game messi got wiped out (fecked knee cap thanks to agger, the wanker) so i brought ibra on for him, guess what happens in the 3rd minute of added time, agger runs out of defense to put pressure on palombo (one of the best passers in the world on my game) who just slots it where agger is meant to be for ibra to just take a touch and wrong foot reina to place it into the net, 2-1 through on away goals to face real in madrid for the final, incidentally AC had a similar route to the eufa cup final against juve, onl the play valencia in the final

nimic

something nice
Scout
That's not my starting squad, per se, it's just the squad I used last. So obviously Messi would be in the team, and Vidic might (Ferdinand getting a bit older). Rooney would, but he's rubbish, so no :p

I'd also have Aguero partnering Ronaldo up front.

I actually got a very good midfield and attack, even with all those players away, but I'm using 3 defenders from the Reserves and 1 from the Youth squad (and he's rubbish!) :nervous:

nimic

something nice
Scout
You'd think I was missing the goalkeeper, as opposed to having Rene Adler in goal! My youngling defense limited them to 2 shots on target. Both goals. I got 1. Christ. Lately it seems like Adler just concedes everything that gets thrown at him. The league is well and truly lost now, and I might well finish 3rd.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I don't understand what has caused you to be playing with so many players away on int. duty
I did play in the World Club Cup, but then again I didn't get far in the League Cup, so you'd think I wouldn't be that far behind. This is the worst I've seen in FM09, I thought they'd fixed this problem. It'd be silly to claim that it lost me the league, since it's unlikely that I'd win it anyway by now, but it might very well have cost me 2nd..

Oh well, now I get to chill by facing FC Copenhagen in the Champions League quarter final :lol:

I've been in plenty of Club World Cups, and not had it happen to me...thankfully, I'd probably do ok, as I have loaded my reserves with top quality talent...not that the fans understand that when the are disappointed with the signing of some 16yr old wonderkid

UBERScholes

I'd find it flattering if someone hard rubbed agai
Just had an interesting game (Managing United):

Bit of a crap result tbh, but I didn't even have a player on the pitch!

Only way I managed to get the game played was by going on vacation. I'd cleared my selection and when the game came up I just clicked match, thinking it'd prompt me to pick my team but it just went ahead regardless of me not having a team selected, and it wouldn't let go back and pick one :(

Bit of a shit performance by Burnley though all things considered

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
:lol: @ 32% posession, a foul, free kicks, throw ins, passing%, etc for your lads without a body on the pitch

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
10-1, put my mortgage, pension, life savings, current savings, brother and girlfriend on Burnley to win !!!

nimic

something nice
Scout
USM98 was fecking great :lol:
Great little game, that's for sure!

I just beat Chelsea 5-0 in the league, at Stamford Bridge. And yet, I might very well finish 4th this season. I don't get it. After a shaky first couple of seasons, I've well and truly cracked the "beat big teams" code. That is, gung ho! That's not my problem, though. I keep dropping enough points against bad teams that I haven't won the league for 3 seasons after this. I might win the FA Cup for the 3rd time in a row (against Liverpool), and the Champions League for the 2nd time in a row, but I can't do that damn league :lol:

I think my players might have some massive problems motivating themselves in any but the biggest games. Time and time again Adler has conceded goals in games where there have only been a couple shots on target, and my players have failed to score (more than one or two) in games where I've had 15 on target. And yet, I just beat Chelsea 5-0, with 9 shots on target, and they had 6. Crikey.

Edit: Oh, and Adebayor? 27 league games. 24 goals. 15 assists. 33 goals and 19 assists in all competitions. And the season isn't over yet. Taking a look at Arsenal's squad, it's actually fairly unspectacular. No one has scored near as much as him, and he's the only one who has played better than merely average. If someone buys him this summer, I predict Arsenal will finish 4th.

zain

Believe
Great little game, that's for sure!

I just beat Chelsea 5-0 in the league, at Stamford Bridge. And yet, I might very well finish 4th this season. I don't get it. After a shaky first couple of seasons, I've well and truly cracked the "beat big teams" code. That is, gung ho! That's not my problem, though. I keep dropping enough points against bad teams that I haven't won the league for 3 seasons after this. I might win the FA Cup for the 3rd time in a row (against Liverpool), and the Champions League for the 2nd time in a row, but I can't do that damn league :lol:

I think my players might have some massive problems motivating themselves in any but the biggest games. Time and time again Adler has conceded goals in games where there have only been a couple shots on target, and my players have failed to score (more than one or two) in games where I've had 15 on target. And yet, I just beat Chelsea 5-0, with 9 shots on target, and they had 6. Crikey.

Edit: Oh, and Adebayor? 27 league games. 24 goals. 15 assists. 33 goals and 19 assists in all competitions. And the season isn't over yet. Taking a look at Arsenal's squad, it's actually fairly unspectacular. No one has scored near as much as him, and he's the only one who has played better than merely average. If someone buys him this summer, I predict Arsenal will finish 4th.
Then just fund any club who is interested in buying him?
I'm sure they won't sell him to you cause of you being rivals etc, so perhaps offer Real (if they're interested in buying him?) a BIG transfer fees for one of their players, that way they'll have an awesome war chest to fund his transfer ? :D

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Strong, quick players are much better in the match engine then normal, I always try to nab Sturridge from City for that reason, he's a monster.

Ambivalent

How many times have I got to say it? I'm not Bovve
I gave Worcester City approximately £500 Million and maximised their training and youth facilities on the editor. I added several coaches (I'm the manager, my friends are the coaches) and boosted their stats to maximum. In my head, I justified it that a Brazilian ex-player now-businessman Marcelo Tarantula had bought out the club and built a huge training academy that develops players and coaches.

I went straight up in 1st position in both Blue Square South, Blue Square Premier and League 2. None were really by a landslide as the team's average age was probably about 20 and the yearly overhaul of players disrupted the team for the first 3/4 months of the season. Progressively I bought better quality players that were at least 1 division better than the one they were playing in.

League 1 and the Championship was less smooth sailing as I only finished second both times but this was enough to take me up.

I only had to make 4 first team signings on promotion to the Premiership as most of the squad were developing into top players. Also, I wanted to finally have a semblance of a settled squad.

I'm now in November 2013 and 6th in the Premiership. I beat Manchester United 4-1 at home (which is currently The Grove in Halesowen as my own stadium is closed for rebuilding). I'm in the quarter finals of the Carling Cup.

My squad is -

GK: Francisco Gonzalez (Mexican international, new this season)
Vasily Kiselev (Russian international, also just signed)

RB: Cristian Gomez (Argentinian Under 20 international, last year's player of the year)
Nassim Bonni (Belgian international)

LB: Ma Min (probably my best player, Chinese international)
Stanislav Salov (my captain, chose French Under 21s over his home nation Russia)

CD: Mauro (newly capped member of the Selecao)
Ramon (Brazilian who chose to play for Portugal ala. Pepe and Deco)
Aaron Coulson (Ghanaian international)
Martin Laursen (not THE Martin Laursen, a regen. Capped by Denmark)

DM: Carlo Bizzarri (Italian U-21 wonderkid)
Kepa Saenz (Spanish new signing. Was called up into the national team recently but still not capped at senior level)

CM: Michele Acerbis (won Azzurri caps this season, wonderkid, equally good up front where I may play him in future, vice captain)
Ernesto Diaz (Venezuelan international)

RM: Vit Karasek (Czech international)
John Fry (I bought him when I was in League 2 and he's made it all the way into the England national team after a stunning Under 20 World Cup where he was named best player for England's winning side. He is not my best player technically but probably most consistent)

LM: Pavel Snajdr (newly capped Czech winger)
Omar Sakim (Moroccon international)

ST: Tommy Knox (bought him for free from Perth Glory in Australia, thinking 'where in the bloody hell did he come from?' He's incredible. What a find. Has 9 goals in 10 games for me and has already had a senior call up from England - his other nationality. Not yet capped but will surely be picked in the next international game. Poor Australia and Perth Glory for letting this guy go!)
Julio Cesar Arizala (Colombian international, a beast)
Alvaro Jimenez (Chilean international who I have persisted with despite 2 disappointing full seasons and half a season in the Prem. He has all the ability but I fear his lack of pace will mean I get rid of him in the Summer. The biggest player in jeapordy but has several months to turn it around)

and finally...

Jeremy Patel (striker who has come through the ranks and scored goals in every league from Blue Square South to the Premiership. Home grown and on the verge of the full England squad. He was always slightly goal shy but is still only 22 and picking things up now. It was my dream to bring someone through every league and Patel has done it totally on merit. He is top class)

I have a few good prospects out on loan and have a 16 year old defender in the reserves who apparently 'has the potential to be the best player of his generation'. I'm gonna blood him in carefully. He isn't far off the first team.

I have also identified 2 16 year olds, Brazilian and Slovenian, who are incredible superkids. I'll sign them in a year or two.

How sad :)

EDIT - Oh yeah, I play the Sexy Football tactics downloaded from the SIGames forum and normally play 2 different 11s.

One of my promising reserve players has an interesting name - Adriano Scholes!

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I play a midfield diamond, with two wing-backs in a 2-3-2-1-2. Seems to have worked a treat for me with my Genoa side, though you need good players to pull it off.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
What the feck's the point Ambivalent?

You've downloaded your tactics, and given yourself unlimited funds... Might as well draw a game on a piece of paper.