Gaming Football Manager 2009

Ambivalent

How many times have I got to say it? I'm not Bovve
I still have to buy the players, sell them, pick the appropriate team and make any tactical changes mid-match.

I can play the game to whatever extent I want to. Not everyone wants to go in and meticulously arrange positions at set pieces for example.

As far as giving myself unlimited funds, I like the idea of a wealthy businessman taking over a conference team rather than an already established Premiership team. Plus I was born in Worcester so it had to be them.

Sure - it would have been more challenging to take Worcester to the Premiership with their real life resources but, by the time I'd done that, FM2028 would've been released. So I'm taking a short cut... sue me.

Flying Fox

I think I've encountered a bug.

Second season with Barça, I've bidded 8,000,000 euro for Marquinhos from Palmeiras (his min fee release clause), yet Palmeiras wont let me talk to him?!!

Leg-End

Are you offering it straight up? You cant spread it over montly installments etc.

I am in my second season with Barca now, I won the league by a point last season to Real Madrid, but it wasnt as close as it sounds, I more or less had the league wrapped up with 3 games to go on massive goal differance but played weaker sides and lost some points. Just had a clear out of the squad

Out

Xavi
Toure
Henry
Hleb
Busquets (moaned about new signings)
Pique

In

Kuzmanovic
Guardado
Aguero
Veloso
Camacho
Cattermole :lol:

The trouble with managing sides like United, Barca etc is the amount of money available, the board just keep increasing my budget throughout the season which kinda takes the challenge out of it, I will win a fair amount here then move on to some shit team I think.

Leg-End

Xavi is 29 and I was trying to lower my squads average age and Chelsea paid silly money £37 million. Pique I had no intention of selling but Man Utd kept offering and I kept upping the amount and they kept interest, ended up selling for £20 million and have Henrique back from his loan as a replacement, I have a £20 million buy back clause too so if I need him I will take him back next season.

Flying Fox

Not a bad piece of business then.

Second season first XI looks something like this

Bojan

Guardado - Messi

Xavi - Iniesta

Camacho

Abidal/Julio Jurado - Puyol - Piqué - Alves

Valdes​

Major ins this season have been Keirrison, Balotelli, Sakho, Valentino Jankovic and Christian Flores (All youngsters)

nyrfan818

Finally giving FM09 a real shot - I've had it for months but haven't really done anything with it. I always start a new game off with United to get used to it a bit.

Only made 2 signings - Akinfeev and Razvan Rat as backup for LB after Evra went down for 3 weeks. Sold Fletcher to City, O'Shea to Sunderland, Park to Newcastle, and PIG to PSV. I've got plenty of funds left over so I can make January swoops once I've identified my needs more effectively.

3-2-0 in the league so far with away losses to Portsmouth (2-1) and Chelsea (1-0) that could have gone either way. My first satisfying win was a 3-2 win at home against Liverpool. Carrick scored a beautiful 25 yard winner. Most recently, I beat Doncaster away 3-0 in the League Cup with a bunch of young players and Ferdinand scoring a hat trick of corners. I've never had a defender score 3 goals in a game before, so that was a bit interesting. I feel like the squads finally coming together though, so hopefully my fortunes in the league will improve.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Selling Fletcher is a bad move, he's quality after a few seasons and doesn't mind the bench, sell him after those developed seasons and he's gone for bwteen 15-20 million, no lie.

nyrfan818

Damn, well at least I got 10 million from City. Not sure if Fletcher really would've gotten enough time in my squad to raise his value anyway. He'd probably have been my 4th or 5th choice midfielder.

nyrfan818

Pardon my ignorance, but is there a corner bug in the 9.3.0 version? Perhaps I'm being a bit hasty, but I have 9 goals in 13 matches from corners.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I sold Fletcher in the first transfer window for £20m to City, and felt it was a decent bit of business, though I hear some have gotten as much as £40m for him.

Liam1989

hey again -- thought (;)) id fill you in the latest. . .

finished 12th first season in the prem so not bad

12 wins 11 draws 15 losses 45 goals scored 51 goals conceded

got quite a young squad to the youngest is 27 and i have a right winger who i bought after scouting him whos 17 and hes first choice now lol

another good left winger who i bought from a league one club ... is 19 and will be good and 3 other players who came through the youth are in the first team squad are 17

i would post some pictures but i have no idea how lol

Woodzy

It's definitely still in there. I had Rio finish my top scorer one season, and that was over something like 20 goals from what i remember.

nyrfan818

I have corners taken into the 6 yard box with one CB near post flick-on and one CB challenging keeper. I've got someone attacking near post, and someone attacking far post. Then two attacking the ball from deep, two lurking outside the area, and two staying back. Will change to 4 staying back later in the game with a lead and I still score from corners just fine even with less men up front.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I think I discovered a bug. My Assistant Manager told me that some players, like Vagner Love, have trouble motivating themselves to play for a manager with such low reputation as me. I've got World Class reputation.

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
How do you guys opt to use the training sessions? Do you:

1) use the default setup?
2) create your own regime for various groups of players (strikers, dms, fullbacks...)
3) create a specific regime for each player according to his attributes?

I wonder whether the 3) would deliver the better results than 2) ?

phelans shorts

I think I discovered a bug. My Assistant Manager told me that some players, like Vagner Love, have trouble motivating themselves to play for a manager with such low reputation as me. I've got World Class reputation.
i have that, i have managed one season and am entering my second champions league final and fringe players aren't respecting me, i presume its down to recent poor form

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
How do you guys opt to use the training sessions? Do you:

1) use the default setup?
2) create your own regime for various groups of players (strikers, dms, fullbacks...)
3) create a specific regime for each player according to his attributes?

I wonder whether the 3) would deliver the better results than 2) ?
3) would likely be better, but obviously more time consuming. As long as you know exactly which role(s) you plan to use each player in, then you can create the "perfect" schedule for them.

On the other hand, each position on the field has a set of supposedly ideal stats for it, so option 2 should be capable of giving a player the perfect training positionally.

I go with 2), i downloaded and imported Tugs Training, which is a full set of supposedly ideal schedules for senior and youth.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Is there a way I can download the latest database and kits and stuff?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Started a new game with Sunderland, updated with current transfers for all clubs before start.

Heres my transfers and team right before the first game of the season:

IN:

David Beckham (£5M - LA Galaxy)
Vagner Love (£14.25M - CSKA Moscow)
Juan Angel Albin (£6.5M - Getafe)
Gretar Steinsson (£6M - Bolton)

OUT:

Kieran Richardson (£4.5M - West Ham)
Grant Leadbitter (£3M - Burnley)
Andy Reid (£4.2M - Wigan)

Team

Gordon
Steinsson da-Silva Ferdinand McCartney
Beckham Cana Cattermole Albin
Bent Vagner-Love

Bench: Nosworthy, Collins, Tainio, McShane, Jones, Bardsley, Malbranque.​

Currently trying to sign Gretar Steinsson from Bolton but they're being arses about it. Will be aiming for a Europa League place.

EDIT: Signed Steinsson for £6M on the 27th August. Funded by selling fatty Andy Reid.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
First game of the season and I'm drawing 1 - 1 with Spurs at White Hart Lane, 92nd minute Jermaine Defoe nets a winner. Gutted.

Second game of the season, home to Aston Villa, 2 - 1 up and Emile Heskey scores in the 90th minutes to draw the game. Grrr....

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
In my second season with Parma in Serie A, playing AC Milan at home. Kaka double and a goal from Ronaldinho put them 3-0 up at half time, with Ronaldinho also having missed a pen-o. I change to 4-3-3 and Sissoko scores twice and Saivet gets the equaliser in the 89th for me. Get in, as they say in Spain.

cj_sparky

Pardon my ignorance, but is there a corner bug in the 9.3.0 version? Perhaps I'm being a bit hasty, but I have 9 goals in 13 matches from corners.
Usually setting a player (Defenders usually) with a high heading and jumping ability to challenge the goalkeeper. And having the corner settings set so the cross is to the six yard box. Works a treat. Also make sure you have a player with high corner stats taking them.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Craig Gordon is officially an utter spastic. Has run way off his line and cost me two goals in this match so far.

nimic

something nice
Scout
i have that, i have managed one season and am entering my second champions league final and fringe players aren't respecting me, i presume its down to recent poor form
It might be because of the players poor form, but can't be the team. I've had my best start ever (on this game), and I've conceded 4 or 5 goals in all competitions by November. Simultaneously, Arsenal have had their worst league start for the entire game. If they want to match their points total from last year, they have to draw 3 and win the rest.

This is the year! :D :nervous:

Also, Rooney has continued to be absolute crap all year long. And now (I had to use him, injuries), he's scored 6 goals in 3 games. I expect he'll go back to crap soon enough, though. I couldn't sell him last window (I probably wanted too much), but next summer I'm definitely getting rid. He just doesn't perform well in this team, sadly. :(

nyrfan818

Suggestions for a good left back, long term replacement for Evra?
Dunno if it's carried over to FM09, but Guilherme was a quality LB on FM08 who could be gotten quite cheaply. I think he'd be 20 at the start of the game.