Gaming Football Manager 2011

Leg-End

Any tips on defending in the lower leagues? My players individually are fairly good for this level, but we leak goals.
Alot of it stems from shitty midfields at that level I find, I always stick a defensive midfielder in front of the back 4.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Also make defending a priority in match preparations. That should cut down the damage a but maybe.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Took England to the 2018 WC, knocked out in the semis by eventual winners France. Winning goal was scored by Tchene Begue, the player I brought through United's ranks. Resigned as England manager after that and have taken the Valencia job.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
So I've recently just got into this and am into my third season with Spurs. I'm playing a narrow, short passing 4-3-3 formation, basically I'm trying to emulate Barca's style of play. I have to say, it seems to be working thus far.

I have the players with the technical ability to keep the ball and open up defences in tight spaces. Also average around 58% possession in every game. This is my team:

-------------------Gomes---------------------
Rafael-------Kjaer---------King-------Coentrao
-------------------Rodwell-------------------
----------Defour--------------Modric---------
Bale---------------------------------Pastore-
-----------------Tevez(loan)-----------------

Subs:
Pletikosa
Dawson
Lukaku
Lennon
Van Der Vaart
Gallas
Palacios

nimic

something nice
Scout
Alright, so I've had fairly magnificent scoring record all season. And yes, Hull had conceded 87 goals in 33 league games. Even so, I didn't expect this.

Hernandez now has 24 league goals in 26 games, and 36 in 38 overall. Rooney has 28 league goals in 27 games, and 32 in 39 overall. Valencia and di Maria have 20 assists each, Vargas has 21 (in all competitions). I now have 102 goals scored, with 4 games to go :eek:

SCM

Any tips on defending in the lower leagues? My players individually are fairly good for this level, but we leak goals.
I usually go for players with decent pace and tackling to let them at least have the speed to get out of trouble. Same with midfield i always look for players with decent pace, tackling and passing etc.

When it comes to the opposition instructions on match day go through their midfield and strikers to force them onto their weaker foot and also individually set them to be closed down always. Gives them a harder time of it and can cut down on the goals they score.

nimic

something nice
Scout
When I played in the lower leagues with Maidenhead, I used to play rigidly, and with few special roles. No box-to-box midfielder, no deep-lying playmaker, etc.

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
not played this much, but i won the league with united in my second season, although not convincing..
rooney was my top scorer with 22 (injurered for 4 months)
vidic was my second with 18 (crazyyy )

i made some signings such as, neymar, palombo, di rossi, muller

i play 433, with a DM. any tips on how to get the best out of hernandez in this? falcao is keeping him out whilst rooney is injured yet again for long term.

nimic

something nice
Scout
He's working brilliantly for me as a poacher next to either a deep-lying forward or a complete forward (both on support). Not sure how I would try to fit him into a 4-3-3. I wouldn't think Falcao would be good enough to keep Hernandez out, not on the forum he's had in my game.

Kiwi Red

Hernandez = a poacher. Pace and finishing is his game. If you give him plenty of games, he will become a major star for you. He doesn't have the strength to be a lone front man though, so suggest training him on that.

4-3-3 - are you playing with inside forwards on the wings, or two front-men alongside him?

If you're playing with two front-men either side, then play them as deeper-lying/creative forwards - they will create the chances for you.

If you're playing with inside forwards, Hernandez needs some support through the middle as well. Either have an AMC (although with the IF's cutting in from the wings that might get crowded), or play with MC's with support duties. They can get forward and help keep the ball in the higher third of the pitch. That will be your problem with Hernandez as a lone frontman - keeping the ball. Give him support from mid, that problem should be eased somewhat

Kiwi Red

Solius, totally understand your frustration. Always remember that it is always more than a game! But don't break your keyboard over it!

Just starting my second season with United, was given 55m to strengthen the squad and have bought in a few players:

1. Pato - for 32m - he was coming towards the end of his contract, but thought he'd sign a new one if I didn't get in. Will play at AMR as inside forward - he's basically a wider, slightly deeper lying striker.

2. Lewis Holtby - 9.5m from Schalke 04. To play as advanced playmaker in my midfield 3. Replaces Carrick (who played as a DLP). Holtby has far better creativity, flair and pace, whilst having just as good passing and decisions. Wanted a more offensive minded playmaker and he'll serve me well I think. Will still use Carrick in those games where I need more defensive cover though.
(Had looked at Gourcuff, Sneijder and others for that role, but like Holtby for his English backgroun (so he'll settle quickly) and potential for growth.

3. Davide Santon: free transfer at end of Inter contract. Quality prospect, he and Rafael will serve me well at RB.

4. David De Gea - 17m - my new number one keeper.

Players sold:

1. Berbatov - to Sevilla for 8.5m. The formation I played couldn't get the best out of him, so decided to sell. Plus, with Rooney and Hernandez as my top two. Pato at AMR, and Owen, Welbeck, Macheda for back-up, I simply didn't need him or his 90,000 wages!

2. Wes Brown - never needed him, plus he'd get injured when I needed him. Sold to West Ham for 2m.

3. PIG - never needed him either, as Lindegaard will back-up.

Remaining details:

Still have 24m up my sleeve. Could just save it I suppose, but is there any area of my team you think I should improve?
Have thought about another complete forward to back-up Rooney, someone young - maybe Rossi?

Think it's a bit of overkill though to have Rooney, Hernandez, Pato, Rossi, Macheda, Welbeck and Owen!
Could go for Simon Kjaer and sell Evans perhaps?
Maybe a younger ball-winning midfielder to replace Hargreaves?

Crustanoid

Halfway through my second season as Workington manager and being linked with the vacant Barcelona job :lol:

Again I steamed into a lead in BSN after about 12 games, and then, just like last season I started to go into a dip, but this time managed to turn it around and now I'm 2nd, 2 points behind the leaders, Eastwood Town. In the Summer I strengthened majorly, and completely changed my backroom staff. My ass man is much better, his advice actually works and he shares my attacking mentality. I have a young gifted AM who I use to switch from my customary 4-4-2 to a 4-4-1-1 when necessary, and this approach seems to be serving me well. I have a whole shadow XI of young prospects, who I'm going to use to either make money or train up for the first team. I got to the 1st round proper of the FA cup but then met Swindon who were 3rd in League 1 and they bummed me 6-1. Fingers crossed this season I'll get promoted to BSP

LARulz

Halfway through my second season as Workington manager and being linked with the vacant Barcelona job :lol:
Not that this should automatically link you to the job but what past experience did you start of with? If it was international footballer then its not THAT surprising

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
My side is all conquering, I have quality CB's and a gun keeper. Yet I keep leaking goals with the minimum chances I allow the opposition to have. This annoys me. Luckily I'm almost always scoring more.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Alright, so I've had fairly magnificent scoring record all season. And yes, Hull had conceded 87 goals in 33 league games. Even so, I didn't expect this.

Hernandez now has 24 league goals in 26 games, and 36 in 38 overall. Rooney has 28 league goals in 27 games, and 32 in 39 overall. Valencia and di Maria have 20 assists each, Vargas has 21 (in all competitions). I now have 102 goals scored, with 4 games to go :eek:
:eek:

11 - 0 ......... That's incredible!

nimic

something nice
Scout
The stars aligned this season, it seems. I did go out of the Champions League with a 0-1 against Real Madrid, but other than that I scored.. some goals. Ended up scoring 118 goals in the league. Hernandez became top-scorer with 33 league goals, and Rooney followed suit with 32. It wasn't enough for the Golden Ball, of course, as Higuain and Villa scored 36 goals each, Villa for the second season in a row!

In all competitions, I scored:
  • 0 goals in 4 games
  • 1 goal in 7 games
  • 2 goals in 15 games
  • 3 goals in 14 games
  • 4 goals in 9 games
  • 5 goals in 4 games
  • 6 goals in 3 games
  • 8 goals in 1 game
  • 11 goals in 1 game

I lost one game 4-6.

SCM

Second season now over for me with Worcester and first in the BSP which ended up being interesting. After a dodgy start i managed to get to mid table where i stayed most of the season but did have a little poor run of form where i almost got dragged back into the relegation positions. Managed to regain form though when some injured players returned and ended up finishing 15th and 12 points clear of the last relegation place so for me job done this season. So new contract was offered so i took it as no one else was sniffing about to offer me a new challenge elsewhere.

Managed to pick up a few good players again through the season and slowly strengthening the squad to do better at this level so i see a summer of wheeling and dealing again in some area. You forget how little money there is at this level when the board announce a new record for a sponsporship deal for the shirts of 14k a season that's not even enough for one of Rooneys big toes.

Crustanoid

The stars aligned this season, it seems. I did go out of the Champions League with a 0-1 against Real Madrid, but other than that I scored.. some goals. Ended up scoring 118 goals in the league. Hernandez became top-scorer with 33 league goals, and Rooney followed suit with 32. It wasn't enough for the Golden Ball, of course, as Higuain and Villa scored 36 goals each, Villa for the second season in a row!

In all competitions, I scored:
  • 0 goals in 4 games
  • 1 goal in 7 games
  • 2 goals in 15 games
  • 3 goals in 14 games
  • 4 goals in 9 games
  • 5 goals in 4 games
  • 6 goals in 3 games
  • 8 goals in 1 game
  • 11 goals in 1 game

I lost one game 4-6.
Blimey - I've never managed that many!

Crustanoid

Man City offered me a manager job with £86mil transfer budget....tempting but I said no

nimic

something nice
Scout
Blimey - I've never managed that many!
I don't think I have either, mate, before now. Not even with the unbelievable Roma side I had a couple of FM's ago, where I basically won the treble a couple of seasons in a row, and went undefeated a couple of seasons.

My strikers just never lost their form this season. Funnily that 11-0 win was after a 0-1 defeat against Wolves!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I don't think I have either, mate, before now. Not even with the unbelievable Roma side I had a couple of FM's ago, where I basically won the treble a couple of seasons in a row, and went undefeated a couple of seasons.

My strikers just never lost their form this season. Funnily that 11-0 win was after a 0-1 defeat against Wolves!
Managed 115 with United a few pages back but 118 is the highest I've seen.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Yeah, I knew about that, and earlier in the season when I started scoring a lot I thought that maybe, just maybe I would be able to beat it. I lost all hope when I played 0-1 and I had 6 games left to go and needed 25 more goals to beat it.

Then I won 11-0 :lol:

nimic

something nice
Scout
I like how players cover for each other. Evans just took a knock, and received treatment off the pitch. Without any instructions from me, Vidal took over Evans position for the duration of the treatment.

Crustanoid

Now I'm in the playoffs for promotion to the Conference Premier, but my team have decided to completely lose their form all of a sudden and lost their last three league games (I could have fought for the title otherwise). :nervous:

Crustanoid

Won the playoff final on penalties! My assistant manager recommended 'sympathise' for the team talk!

In other news Barnsley just won the 2012 FA cup :lol:

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
Started a game with United for the shit of it.

Hernandez has 28 goals in January....and his finishing goes down by 1...

wat.

SCM

Started a game with United for the shit of it.

Hernandez has 28 goals in January....and his finishing goes down by 1...

wat.
Need to make sure players are getting the right training in game for them to develop their stats properly, wrong schedule or a poor one will sometimes cause that to happen.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Prior to an away-match with my FC United team I said I was afraid that the poor pitch would result in player injuries. I won the game 2-0 and the other manager comes out and blames the Gigg Lane ground staff for their loss :confused:

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
Need to make sure players are getting the right training in game for them to develop their stats properly, wrong schedule or a poor one will sometimes cause that to happen.
Aye, I always do my own when I start at a new club, I'm anal like that.

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
Has anyone got any random players they always buy?

I always get an 18 year old Brazilian CM/DM/CB called Casemiro. Every single game I start (where I can afford him).

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
Galeano in this one, Argentine defender.

FM2007 - Sherman Cardenas, Nicolas Millan, Brazilian kid monster DM....Lucas :nervous:

FM2006 - Some Portugese chap called Nani

Masterplan

AKA united07
Is there anyway i can change the squad bonuses midway through a season? ive managed signed Taarabt for braintree town in league 1, but every week his morale is very low because he is not getting a high enough bonus, so is playing badly

Flying Fox

Is there anyway i can change the squad bonuses midway through a season? ive managed signed Taarabt for braintree town in league 1, but every week his morale is very low because he is not getting a high enough bonus, so is playing badly
It'd be easier to just give him a new contract with a higher game bonus, no?

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
Barca just bummed me in the CL semis.

4-0 down at half time, response? Bring Ravel Morrison on. Boom, take that.

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
:lol: he scored at the Nou Camp.

Let's just hope life mimics art..