Gaming Football Manager 2011

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
97/98 was the one where you could sign shit loads of free players each summer, right? Salary cap at 50000? Was a fantastic game. Remember Danny Webber becoming a beast in one of my United games :lol:
If you have a squad less than full say 22/24 players then you could have more salary budget to work with.

Don16

Annoying cnut
Two days shy of the transfer window closing and Ronaldo is offered to me for £35 million..result! He'll probably want astronomical wages though

nimic

something nice
Scout
97/98 was the one where you could sign shit loads of free players each summer, right? Salary cap at 50000? Was a fantastic game. Remember Danny Webber becoming a beast in one of my United games :lol:
Pre bosman, yes :D

Wasn't it? Wikipedia tells me the Bosman ruling was already in place. I seem to remember an actual message in the game telling me about the bosman ruling, and how it would be in effect after then and then. I haven't played the game for quite a while. Then again, wasn't the bosman ruling that allowed us to sign all these players in the first place? Maybe it was just the contrast between pre Bosman and post Bosman, and you felt you could sign everyone in the world for free.

I remember being annoyed that I could only give players £50k wages as United, while Barcelona were happily doling out upwards of £65k.

My favourites were definitely CM97/87 and 01/02. Great games. That doesn't mean I don't like today's games, it's just that the last few years I've played a lot of every new addition. They sort of all blend together in my mind. I must say, this year's edition is quite good.

CrazyBelgian

Download a program called Resplendent Resolver.

It allows you to mimic running a program such as CM3 through an older operating system. My computer couldn't run CM 99/00 and 01/02 without that program.

Resplendence Software - Resplendent Resolver (outdated)

Works a treat.
Thanks. Just found an old laptop lying around here so I tried it on there and it works on it just using the compatiblity mode in XP. CM 00/01. It's brilliant :lol:

Very hard to buy players though it seems. Offered Gremio 40 million euros for Ronaldinho but they keep rejecting.

CrazyBelgian

Sign Vincenzo Montella :cool:
Looks great :cool: But I'm looking for an AMC. Trying to implement the very modern 4-2-3-1 (well for those days it was).

-----------Barthez-----------
Neville---Stam-Johnson--Irwin

--------Keane-Scholes-----
Beckham--York------Giggs
------------Cole----------

Is what I'm playing at the moment. Should probably search a left back too as Irwin is getting old already :( But I don't recognise any of those names when I search for one and Evra doesn't seem to have been born yet. :D Also trying to get Buffon from Parma but also way to expensive. Seems like value isn't the same as asking price and in cm 00/01 there is no scout report to give you an estimate of the asking price.

Andrea Pirlo is a striker for Inter :lol:, found that out while browsing through Italy. :lol: Zidane is still at juve, Ronaldo on his long term injury at inter. Serie A was the place to be at that moment in time. How times have changed.

Also just found 16 year old darren fletcher in my reserve team. Young and learnin! :D

nimic

something nice
Scout
I remember very often playing the tight 4-1-2-1-2. Not sure how I did that with United, with Giggs and all. I might have played him in CM, as a nod to the future :p

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
CB if you are after a left back take a look at lizarazu. He was French and If i remember rightly he played for Bayern Munich.

Don16

Annoying cnut
Sold fletcher because he was being a cnut, and got Busquets on a free. My first Xi looks like this now -

-----------De Gea-----------
Lobos - Evans - Vidic - Evra
Nani - Busquets - Hamsik - Modric
--------Rooney/Macheda---Ronaldo

Macheda is a beast for me.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I sold Macheda to Arsenal and now he haunts me every time I play them.

Don16

Annoying cnut
he was young player of the year in my first and second seasons and was runner up in my third year. Alot of the time he starts ahead of Rooney for me

nimic

something nice
Scout
Uuuuh. Okay. I just played the entire away leg of a Champions League Semi Final with Michael Carrick in goal. I bought Adler in january, and he was cup-tied. So I must have clicked all the cup-tied players away, and then forgot about the keeper, clicking Carrick in thinking he was a sub.

I won 3-1. They had 1 shot on goal. Bless you Tottenham (who beat Barcelona 2-1 on aggregate!) :lol:

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
Started a career with Woking. This is the one, there will be updates.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Hmm.. I just lost the Champions League final 3-0 against Inter. Very disappointing. I did win the League, the FA Cup and the League Cup, ending the league with 90 points (and lost my last two games after having already won and resting players), but they just played so bad in this game.

SCM

I have just reached February in my new game in the lower leagues with Worcester and remembering why i lost so many hours playing this game in the past. One more game becomes a few more games and i am always on the look out for those free players to sign with decent stats for the way i want to play the game. Tactics wise took the pre season to readjust but doing ok again now.

LARulz

First game of the second season with Athletico Madrid.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Anderson hat trick :drool:

I raided United pretty much. Got Anderson on loan for the back end of the first season then signed him permanently. Got Morrison on loan because I want to see if I can make him any good, but scored on his debut off the bench for Anderson looks promising. I'm trying to signing Hernandez but he's pushing my finances if it does happen.

TheGame

After back to back promotions with York City, been in a bit of a relegation battle in League 1 this season. Manged to string a run together at the end of the season after things were looking bleak. Somehow managed 3 away wins at top 6 sides, dont know how. Got Paul Pogba and Ravel Morrison on loan(the latter which Rooney said was glad that he was leaving:lol:). Just got the manager of the month with 8 games to go and this run has basically got me away from the relegation zone. Hoping for a mid table finish if I can win remaining games and then build for next season.

LARulz

Anderson is a beast for me 8 league goals in 10 games. Scored 44 goals in 10 games in the league. I know is La Liga and Athletico but though that was fairly impressive, though Barcelona and Madrid seem to be scoring at least 4 a game too. Villa has scored 15 league goals already in 8 starts and 1 sub appearance :eek:

Edit: 17 goals now in 9 starts and 1 sub appearance. Wish I could sign him or just manage Barca

Masterplan

AKA united07
Started off as a random team in the lowest league, braintree, been promoted 2 seasons in a row and a lot of my team is basically all united or ex-united players, got van velzen and ajose on loan for the wings, signed Tom Thorpe, cofie and dong fangzhuo on a free. Then i cant believe i managed to get Will Keane on a free after united released him and Harry Kane from spurs on a free after they released him, somehow i was the only club who offered them contracts, both who are tipped to be good premier league players and im only in league 2. Lost 4 matches in a row at the start of the season, but in january im now 1st.

Crustanoid

Looks great :cool: But I'm looking for an AMC. Trying to implement the very modern 4-2-3-1 (well for those days it was).

-----------Barthez-----------
Neville---Stam-Johnson--Irwin

--------Keane-Scholes-----
Beckham--York------Giggs
------------Cole----------

Is what I'm playing at the moment. Should probably search a left back too as Irwin is getting old already :( But I don't recognise any of those names when I search for one and Evra doesn't seem to have been born yet. :D Also trying to get Buffon from Parma but also way to expensive. Seems like value isn't the same as asking price and in cm 00/01 there is no scout report to give you an estimate of the asking price.

Andrea Pirlo is a striker for Inter :lol:, found that out while browsing through Italy. :lol: Zidane is still at juve, Ronaldo on his long term injury at inter. Serie A was the place to be at that moment in time. How times have changed.

Also just found 16 year old darren fletcher in my reserve team. Young and learnin! :D
My first CM / FM

If memory serves me correctly: Joe Cole turns out to be one of the best players on that one, Pablo Aimar is probably the best AMC though. Ronaldinho becomes one of the very best, and Kim Källström. Also, Dede (LB/DML), Thomas Baelum(CB), Joseph Yobo, Eric Addo (DM), Muslimovich, a Bosnian (AMC) all good....Lazio had a number of excellent players...and don't forget the living legend Cherno Samba

CrazyBelgian

My first CM / FM

If memory serves me correctly: Joe Cole turns out to be one of the best players on that one, Pablo Aimar is probably the best AMC though. Ronaldinho becomes one of the very best, and Kim Källström. Also, Dede (LB/DML), Thomas Baelum(CB), Joseph Yobo, Eric Addo (DM), Muslimovich, a Bosnian (AMC) all good....Lazio had a number of excellent players...and don't forget the living legend Cherno Samba
Ow yes Aimar, remember the days that he was the new Maradona. :D

Crustanoid

I've finished my first season as Workington manager and finished 7th in BSN, just outside the playoffs to the conference. My tactics have been pretty constant 4-4-2, not pissing about much. I had been top at Christmas, but faded when some of my better players got injured. For some reason I keep getting linked with top jobs in La Liga :lol: (I have the SPanish and Scottish leagues running as well). There will be a massive staff and player overhaul in the Summer. I'll probably raid Carlisle (my feeder club again). I reckon getting scouts with high stats for judging players is the first priority. Does anyone know if arranging away friendlies with top clubs (Burnley and Birmingham have agreed) gets you more money? Any other advice on managing at low levels would also be well appreciated :)

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
I've finished my first season as Workington manager and finished 7th in BSN, just outside the playoffs to the conference. My tactics have been pretty constant 4-4-2, not pissing about much. I had been top at Christmas, but faded when some of my better players got injured. For some reason I keep getting linked with top jobs in La Liga :lol: (I have the SPanish and Scottish leagues running as well). There will be a massive staff and player overhaul in the Summer. I'll probably raid Carlisle (my feeder club again). I reckon getting scouts with high stats for judging players is the first priority. Does anyone know if arranging away friendlies with top clubs (Burnley and Birmingham have agreed) gets you more money? Any other advice on managing at low levels would also be well appreciated :)
AFAIK it does give you more money, on my QPR save I get a few grand for arranging friendlies with other shite clubs, on my RM save United and Inter offer me 400k per friendly.

SCM

If you go to arrange a friendly it will give you a list of teams from very high reputation to low reputation to choose from, if you select one of the available very high rep teams it will give you a fee you have to pay to get them to your ground and what the profit from the day will be if they accept. Fee is usually about 1-2.5k for a EPL team and you make about 20-30k on the day from the friendly.

I have managed to get Worcester promoted in my first season back in the game after a break from LLM but few things you can do.

1. When the games come up for the English trialist days scout the players your assistant recommends, i have picked up 4 good players from that in 2 seasons who stats wise are way above the usual players at the LLM level.

2. I have always made sure my defenders have reasonable pace and tackling which helps no end in defence at times. Same for midfielders decent pace and tackling helps out a lot.

3. Scout all the recommended players that you get in your news reports as again you can find a decent player or 2 this way on cheap wages.

4. If the club wants you to aim for say avoiding relegation aim your targets a bit higher like mid table to get yourself a bit more wages to work with. Lets you get a few extra squad players in to cover injuries as at the lower league levels you can get a lot over the course of the season.

5. With the turn over on players at this level and bringing in players mainly on frees don't worry too much about players whose contracts are running out and ask for silly money when you try to renew. They are easily replaced or if you really want to keep one or two of them offer them a contract a few weeks before their deal runs out as they usually will accept the maximum your club will offer them for their place in the squad.

Crustanoid

If you go to arrange a friendly it will give you a list of teams from very high reputation to low reputation to choose from, if you select one of the available very high rep teams it will give you a fee you have to pay to get them to your ground and what the profit from the day will be if they accept. Fee is usually about 1-2.5k for a EPL team and you make about 20-30k on the day from the friendly.

I have managed to get Worcester promoted in my first season back in the game after a break from LLM but few things you can do.

1. When the games come up for the English trialist days scout the players your assistant recommends, i have picked up 4 good players from that in 2 seasons who stats wise are way above the usual players at the LLM level.

2. I have always made sure my defenders have reasonable pace and tackling which helps no end in defence at times. Same for midfielders decent pace and tackling helps out a lot.

3. Scout all the recommended players that you get in your news reports as again you can find a decent player or 2 this way on cheap wages.

4. If the club wants you to aim for say avoiding relegation aim your targets a bit higher like mid table to get yourself a bit more wages to work with. Lets you get a few extra squad players in to cover injuries as at the lower league levels you can get a lot over the course of the season.

5. With the turn over on players at this level and bringing in players mainly on frees don't worry too much about players whose contracts are running out and ask for silly money when you try to renew. They are easily replaced or if you really want to keep one or two of them offer them a contract a few weeks before their deal runs out as they usually will accept the maximum your club will offer them for their place in the squad.
Thanks for this! I'll update as to how it goes. I've got a busy Summer ahead

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
Season 1 with Woking over. Got Promotion through the play offs. Finished 4th in the league, there was some very bad form at the start that cost me more. 6 games in a row with no wins. Blue Square Bet Premier here I come!!

SCM

Thanks for this! I'll update as to how it goes. I've got a busy Summer ahead
No problem I always start off in the Lower Leagues more of a challenge and not as easy as taking over a top team with lots of money to spend. Only thing i forgot from previous list is go with the recommended best formation for your team then go into tactics section and tweak it for individual players plus team overall instructions. More direct passing for the lower leagues best suits the players down there and if you have picked up good players then using the team instruction of control works well most of the time.

TheGame

No problem I always start off in the Lower Leagues more of a challenge and not as easy as taking over a top team with lots of money to spend. Only thing i forgot from previous list is go with the recommended best formation for your team then go into tactics section and tweak it for individual players plus team overall instructions. More direct passing for the lower leagues best suits the players down there and if you have picked up good players then using the team instruction of control works well most of the time.
Cheers for this SCM, might have a change of tactics for my York team, faltered in league 1 after back to back promotions, might try more direct passing. What do you recommend for away from home as I find I tend to struggle as the opposition always dominates.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'm not allowed to win the Carling Cup in my save. Just lost 56 billion - nil at home to Liverpool.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Since loading my save today my team has been in absolute heap of shit form, despite being in amazing form when I last saved. Never had form this bad since I started this game and fecking fed up with it so I've gone on holiday til the turn of the year. It just makes you sick of everything, press conferences, injuries. Annoying. Will see how my assistant does and I might leave United in the summer. Going stale.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Just checked and we got knocked out of Europe in the fecking group stages, pathetic. God how can such good players play like sacks of shit for so long? That's the only competition I wanted to win anyway so now that's gone I see no point, plus the league which I pissed for 3 years is apparently now gone too because of the dire form. Have resigned as United manager. Have qualified for the WC 2018 with England so will see how that goes and then decide my next job from there.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
Any tips on defending in the lower leagues? My players individually are fairly good for this level, but we leak goals.