Gaming Football Manager 2016

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
I wonder if they'll add any more hipster positions that look and sound lovely but never seem to work as well as 'normal' positions.

dsch

That guy messaging him used to go my school. Posts rubbish about United all the time on twitter.
Doesn't mean he's wrong about this, though.

Now we're being told on the official forum that we're lucky to be getting a response at all. Any other developer would have said, "We're working on it, it'll be better on release." SI just go "you're an idiot, we know better." Their whole paternalistic attitude is really grating. I wish they didn't have a monopoly and a captive audience.

dsch

When does the torrents start coming out :cool:
It's taken a few weeks/months in recent years. I broke down and bought them. One version (13 or 14) even lasted until after Steam's Christmas sales.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Wow, that tactic screen looks horrendous.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
I'm just happy the sliders are back, instead of having to guess based on "more direct", "less pressing", "play narrower", etc.

At least they've fixed one thing about this screen from last year: you can now see whether player instructions are set to defend/support/attack/auto. Last year, they had the ridiculous suggestion that you're supposed to be able to see based on minute repositioning of the icons up or down the pitch. Doesn't look like they've changed anything else from this thread from last year though: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/401271-Tactics-Screen

Edit:
Classic Miles. Actually, a bit politer than classic Miles.
I followed that up with a series of tweets. Miles a bit of a dick tbh, just couldn't take any criticism and just kept saying I was talking hyperbole because I'd not used it. Even though I don't need to use it to say it looks shockingly bad!

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Miles reminds me of that scene with Donkey on Family Guy that refuses to believe some bloke was in a film.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Classic mode FTW. Not been a fan of the full version for a while now.
Yeah, same. Somehow they've made the full version of the game much heavier and more complex, without actually making it more realistic.

I think what holds it back mostly (and I don't see how his can really change) is that they can't get into such detail with characters based on real-life people.
Because they obviously want all of the players to seem like individuals, but there's a limit to how individual you can make them.

An example of how I think the game would be miles better is if, for example, chairmen had really specific/individual ways of running their club. So one chairman may literally sign a player and force you to play him. One may go back on his promises. One may tell you he wont sign players until you sign a new deal. if certain transfer deals were reliant on each other. Or if some deals even fell through at the last minute, or the selling club stalled.

Or if players had more detailed profiles (e.g. 'this player is most motivated when playing for a new deal.' or 'this player doesn't trust easily')
Also players becoming troublemakers when they aren't in the team. Going to the press, dragging down the morale of other players.

Things like that would make the game incredible. But I reckon there would be an awful lot of legal trouble, if characters were made with such detail. The only way to do that would be to have a database without real characters.

And... I'd love it if regens didn't become way over-powered.

Last edited:

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
The only change really needed imo, and it's been that way for years, is in the other clubs' transfer policy. After a few seasons I always end up walking every competition because every team in the game seems to have crap scouts and stacks up average players.
Yeah, this too. I know they have the transfer rumours section, but it would cool if before the window there was a quick news article on the expected deals, sagas, tug-of-wars etc. But, yeah, having more aggressive competition for players is needed.

Having clubs/managers/owners actually having a plan in terms of player recruitment (again this could go in the pre-window transfer article) E.g. Chelsea are looking to lower their average age during the summer, so will offload some of their senior high-earners such as... and pursue some of Europe's top young prospects, such as...
or
Watford's new owner is determined to secure European football in their first season, and is willing to spend up to £80 million on new recruits. They are said to be targeting Cassano and Bony for a new-look attack.
or
Tottenham's Daniel Levy has reiterated that the club will refuse any offers for Harry Kane this summer. Manchester United are said to be interested, and are looking to sell Hernandez in order to create space in the squad...

And then we see this act out to some extent.
Obviously not every club will be covered, but some. I think they should make the transfer dealings of other clubs much more in-your-face, so to speak. I think it would be more fun if we feel as if our plans are somewhat dependent on other clubs, and that every club has an agenda. You might be able to flog a big-name, high-earning perma-crock to Watford, if they were just desperate for big names etc..

Maybe each club could have some short-term, long-term club goals.

Edit: Being able to start negotiations for a deal at any time would be cool too. So you could ask about the availability of a player, and the selling club may tell you 'we feel we can win our league title next season, so we wont be selling him until 2017 at the earliest.' So you then know it'll take huge money or you'll have to wait a year.

Or they may say 'We're planning on selling said player, and using the money to sign a striker, left-back and goalkeeper. We've had inquiries about him, so unless you can pay more than £28 million upfront, we'll sell him to Chelsea in the summer.'

It would also be awesome if the really big deals dragged for a whole summer, or longer.

I don't ask for much.:D

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Wow. That guy seems like he can't take criticism at all.
No wonder the game has been stagnating for years now if that's the attitude of the lead developer.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
My opinion as new "fan" of the game. They should cut back on the whole press/interview stuff. It is hardly useful and becomes incredible repetitive. They should focus on tactics becoming as realistic as possible, on additional club development and on the decision making of computer simulated clubs. They seem to go down the exact opposite road with focusing on better presentation and more rpg elements. Not sure that is the best choice.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I don't understand how anyone can go back to 2D viewing. 3D is not great but I find it a whole lot better than following commentary. It's like moving back to radio rather watching games on TV.

Raptori

Special needs
My opinion as new "fan" of the game. They should cut back on the whole press/interview stuff. It is hardly useful and becomes incredible repetitive. They should focus on tactics becoming as realistic as possible, on additional club development and on the decision making of computer simulated clubs. They seem to go down the exact opposite road with focusing on better presentation and more rpg elements. Not sure that is the best choice.
Yeah, this.

I don't understand how anyone can go back to 2D viewing. 3D is not great but I find it a whole lot better than following commentary. It's like moving back to radio rather watching games on TV.
Following commentary? :confused:

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I followed that up with a series of tweets. Miles a bit of a dick tbh, just couldn't take any criticism and just kept saying I was talking hyperbole because I'd not used it. Even though I don't need to use it to say it looks shockingly bad!
He came across as an odious cnut! Nice way to treat your paying customers you prick!

Ainu

You lost me here. 2D is still watching the game. There's no question 2D gives you the best view of how the tactics unfold - player movement in particular. 3D is nice for goal replays.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
What on earth are you talking about? 2d is brilliant, you see the shape of your side etc.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
You lost me here. 2D is still watching the game. There's no question 2D gives you the best view of how the tactics unfold - player movement in particular. 3D is nice for goal replays.
Oh right...2D is those dots moving around right? Don't like that either. Prefer 3d throughout. I thought there was some kind of text commentary option that people still watched.

dsch

He came across as an odious cnut! Nice way to treat your paying customers you prick!
Wow. That guy seems like he can't take criticism at all.
No wonder the game has been stagnating for years now if that's the attitude of the lead developer.
The other bright spot in Miles' PR career I can remember was telling Australian fans that he didn't care that they were getting ripped off buying his game.

Whenever they announce a bad design decision, the party line on the official forums enforced by the mods is, in chronological order:

a) The game isn't out yet, so let's all wait and not jump to conclusions
b) The developers know a lot more than we do, let's trust them to know what's good for us
c) It's just a beta version, they're still testing
d) You'll get used to it so give it time
e) Well you should stop being so selfish because hypothetically other people like it that way
f) It's okay because it can be fixed by modders later
g) It's Miles' game so he can do whatever he likes with it
h) Everything is, like, subjective, dude!

And on, and on ...

Cristiano Jonaldo

Lawyer Here!
I gave up after 2011 when that prick made it clear they'd never do the much-needed engine rebuild and would just keep shoving crap on top of already broken features.
They were always like that. I used to post on their forums about 10/11 years ago iirc, and it was always "we're right, your wrong. STFU".

Also, that they were basically making the game for themselves and it was our privilege to be able to buy it from them.

They are a bunch of twats tbh. You'll never get any sense interacting with them.

roseguy64

I've actually had a decent time interacting with them. Helps that I was in a position where it was necessary to do so but they take suggestions on board and implement what they can. Not interacted with Miles before so can't comment on him.

Cristiano Jonaldo

Lawyer Here!
Who cares what kind of people they are :lol:

I like the game and I will play it.
Of course it matters. You don't want to give your money to cnuts.

That's why people promoting the high street refuse to shop at Amazon, why people concerned about the lives of people in the third world refuse to buy nestle etc...

For years SI have been openly hostile to criticism and attacked the critic instead. If some people don't want to give their money to people who behave that way there's nothing unusual or laughable about it.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I've resigned myself to the fact that they're just putting more unnecessary features rather than properly improving on the very thing that could make the game so much better : AI.

Long term games have been fairly boring because the AI does not have any sense of squad building at all.

A big money signing would be languishing in the reserves without being given a much more than a debut, for example. Or how big clubs would spend millions on 17 year olds but not actually blood them in. That kind of thing.

You point this out in the forums and their legions would be pointing out various real life examples, without pausing to think that these things happen more often in the game than in real life.

Also, players running down their contracts, rejecting big wages, then signing for other clubs for far less than was offered.

/rant

Ainu

Of course it matters. You don't want to give your money to cnuts.

That's why people promoting the high street refuse to shop at Amazon, why people concerned about the lives of people in the third world refuse to buy nestle etc...

For years SI have been openly hostile to criticism and attacked the critic instead. If some people don't want to give their money to people who behave that way there's nothing unusual or laughable about it.
I don't agree with that last bit at all. I've been spending many years on their forums now and they've always welcomed constructive criticism. That doesn't mean they always accept it or agree with it though, but that's only normal as they have their own vision and they know what's feasible or not, and let's face it they just can't please everyone. The biggest issue over there is often the criticism isn't constructive at all or is presented in an extremely self-entitled manner. "I'm a paying customer I demand this part of the game works like that!!!!111!!"

That doesn't mean I defend all FM design decisions. There are plenty of things I would like to see differently but I accept they have a different vision on some things, or that some things are just incredibly complex (like AI managers on long term saves, that must be a nightmare). But none of this makes them cnuts and I generally think they are pleasant people who take a LOT of time to react to fans on a forum.

As for the rest of your post, just no. Not wanting to give your money to people because you don't like their attitude is in no way or shape comparable to not wanting to finance companies with questionable ethics. Perhaps it's a good reason for you, fair enough, but I wouldn't mention it in the same breath.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Did they just stop releasing information then since the announcement then? Not seen anything since I don't think.