Gaming Football Manager 2016

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
So I've finally started a game I'm gonna stick with. Used an editor file to start the game at the end of the most recent season (and then Portugal won the Euros funnily enough).

Moved all the players to their new clubs, same with the managers. Waited til a job came up and went for it, got the Southampton job with them sitting 16th and finished 11th. My first summer now and I'm going for quality young players. Nearly got Berahino on a free but WBA triggered an extension in his contract, the pricks. Currently bidding and had offers accepted for Sule, Weigl, Dahoud and Embolo but suddenly all the big clubs have also gone in for them. Just about to drop out of the Dahoud deal as I can't compete with Bayern, but Weigl was accepted for 7m which is a steal. I've offered him a place as a key player so hopefully he turns down Real for me. Embolo is also in negotations with Real, and Sule with Barca. Feel like this won't go well.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Hojbjerg is subject to a bid from PSG, I reject it.

He comes to me saying the move would've come with a big pay rise and he's annoyed I rejected it.

"Would a pay rise tempt you to stay?"

"I'm a bit offended you would even suggest that".

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Ooh nice I got Weigl and Sule. Gonna get Hart from Torino for 11m too.

Embolo went to Madrid.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I've sold that bellend Hojbjerg for 35m to PSG, Forster to Stoke for more than I bought Hart for, and now Cedric has gone to Monchengladbach for 18m. I've also just negotiated a 22m deal for Renato Sanches :lol:

Now it's saying Tadic can't get a work permit for his contract extension. This game is f*cking weird.

Minkaro

Downloaded LFCMarshall's update (I know he's not too popular in here, but I've never had any issues). It's early days, but Rashford looks amazing. 7 goals in 9, keeping Ibra out of the team.

I'm undefeated in the league, but bottom of the Europa League after 3 games (2 draws and a loss :nervous:)

2E_MUFC

Come to the winter break with RB Leipzig. First season in the Bundesliga and I'm third. Doing much better than I thought I would this season. The only thing I'm struggling with is my strikers scoring goals. So my question is what's the best role in a 4-5-1 at getting the striker scoring goals. Both Poulson and Selke only have 2-3 goals each.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Come to the winter break with RB Leipzig. First season in the Bundesliga and I'm third. Doing much better than I thought I would this season. The only thing I'm struggling with is my strikers scoring goals. So my question is what's the best role in a 4-5-1 at getting the striker scoring goals. Both Poulson and Selke only have 2-3 goals each.
Depends on pretty much everything else about your tactic. Is it a flat 4-5-1, you mean?

I'd imagine though, Poulsen isn't much of a finisher, he's a targetman, or the 2nd guy beside another striker. Selke is pretty good, and rapid, but not much creatively, I'd want a 10 behind him to create chances.

Depending on how defensive or attacking you are though, if that striker is up front alone, you probably want a CF or DLF role that will hold up the ball and wait for others to join the attack.

2E_MUFC

Depends on pretty much everything else about your tactic. Is it a flat 4-5-1, you mean?

I'd imagine though, Poulsen isn't much of a finisher, he's a targetman, or the 2nd guy beside another striker. Selke is pretty good, and rapid, but not much creatively, I'd want a 10 behind him to create chances.

Depending on how defensive or attacking you are though, if that striker is up front alone, you probably want a CF or DLF role that will hold up the ball and wait for others to join the attack.
Barca style 4-5-1 with Kaiser as the advanced playmaker set to attack so he gets further forward. I use a winger on the right and inside forward on the left and let them all roam. I have the striker position set to an advanced forward. No you are right when it comes to Poulson but he has a lot of quality.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Barca style 4-5-1 with Kaiser as the advanced playmaker set to attack so he gets further forward. I use a winger on the right and inside forward on the left and let them all roam. I have the striker position set to an advanced forward. No you are right when it comes to Poulson but he has a lot of quality.
Oh yeah, Poulsen is quality, I do like him.

Normally, I'd think about a CF, but I don't think either player are suited to that. Perhaps a DLF(A), they'll link up but be aggressive in taking chances themselves.

2E_MUFC

Oh yeah, Poulsen is quality, I do like him.

Normally, I'd think about a CF, but I don't think either player are suited to that. Perhaps a DLF(A), they'll link up but be aggressive in taking chances themselves.
Yeah that's the problem with both players lol. They are both suited to defensive forwards. So retrained them both as advanced forwards. May just stick it out this season and then look to change formation maybe next season as an established bundesliga side. Seeing as I have them up to 3rd I think I'll continue trying to grind out the points. Suits me away but at home I've Drew 5 games. If I turned them into wins I'd be in the title race

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
As an alternate tactic, it'd be worth trying both up front at the same time, one Advanced Forward, one Defensive Forward(support), the idea is, that the AF should be the focal point on paper, but the real threat is the DF picking up all the scraps, if they're quick(and they are), the DF should rack up goals off rebounds. Had Shane Long on better than a goal a game with this setup once, ffs. Then he broke his leg(after scoring 4 in 1 against a top 4 side), ffs.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Right so this has just happened to me for the first time, wondering if anyone else had had something similar.

I'm Hartlepool and I've had 2 promotions and I'm now in my 2nd season in the Championship. I've had David Faupala on loan for all 3 seasons and he's scored a shit load for me. His contract's now expired so I've done to sign him and he won't enter talks because 'he doesn't think they fans have a high opinion of him and he doesn't want to waste time trying to change their mind'. What the feck?? Why would the fans not have a high opinion of him he's been my best player for 3 years?

TakeMeHome

TakeMeHome
Right so this has just happened to me for the first time, wondering if anyone else had had something similar.

I'm Hartlepool and I've had 2 promotions and I'm now in my 2nd season in the Championship. I've had David Faupala on loan for all 3 seasons and he's scored a shit load for me. His contract's now expired so I've done to sign him and he won't enter talks because 'he doesn't think they fans have a high opinion of him and he doesn't want to waste time trying to change their mind'. What the feck?? Why would the fans not have a high opinion of him he's been my best player for 3 years?
I had something similar. Johnathon Tah for my spurs team wants to move to Madrid to win trophies. We just won the treble including retaining the champions league but he wants to go to Madrid to win trophies :houllier:

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
I had something similar. Johnathon Tah for my spurs team wants to move to Madrid to win trophies. We just won the treble including retaining the champions league but he wants to go to Madrid to win trophies :houllier:
Ridiculous isn't it? Tbf he has definitely outgrown Hartlepool, ended up signing for Lille instead the little bar steward.

Member 5225

Max Mayer - I bought him in Jan. Just into summer now but he's not doing it for me (mainly because he's a natural AMC and I don't play with any, and want him to play MC). Getting £50m+ bids from abroad (I'm Newcastle btw), shall I stick and he'll come good, or hoover up the cash?

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Max Mayer - I bought him in Jan. Just into summer now but he's not doing it for me (mainly because he's a natural AMC and I don't play with any, and want him to play MC). Getting £50m+ bids from abroad (I'm Newcastle btw), shall I stick and he'll come good, or hoover up the cash?
4-3-3/4-5-1? That's what i play and the CM's aren't there for goals/assists, mainly winning the ball back and keeping it tight at the back. The wingers and striker does the goals/assist for me. Just get fullbacks with high crossing stats and whip them in, loads of assists from my fullbacks. What i'm saying is, i'd take the money :lol:

Member 5225

4-3-3/4-5-1? That's what i play and the CM's aren't there for goals/assists, mainly winning the ball back and keeping it tight at the back. The wingers and striker does the goals/assist for me. Just get fullbacks with high crossing stats and whip them in, loads of assists from my fullbacks. What i'm saying is, i'd take the money :lol:
Basically

-------st
AML----------AMR
-----Mc-mc
------DMC
----Back four
-------Gk

We have a similar strategy it seems

Basically is this kid some FM legend that can be an epic CM?

The Stain

Basically

-------st
AML----------AMR
-----Mc-mc
------DMC
----Back four
-------Gk

We have a similar strategy it seems

Basically is this kid some FM legend that can be an epic CM?
Don't know, i've only played one save and didn't buy him (i'm in 2037 lol longest ever for me). He's highly rated irl is all i know. I play 4-3-3 home but with wingbacks and 4-1-4-1 away. Made my own tactics so don't have one tactic that works both home and away. For me, FM16 is all about scoring from crosses/corners and containing opposition from crossing so i use a DM that is more like a ball-playing central defender. One CM can be creative but he needs good tackling/marking as well. Crossing is so overpowered.. I really hope they've fixed that for FM17.

The Stain

Another thing, in 20+ seasons i've only scored about 2 direct freekicks (rebounds doesn't count) :lol:

Member 5225

Don't know, i've only played one save and didn't buy him (i'm in 2037 lol longest ever for me). He's highly rated irl is all i know. I play 4-3-3 home but with wingbacks and 4-1-4-1 away. Made my own tactics so don't have one tactic that works both home and away. For me, FM16 is all about scoring from crosses/corners and containing opposition from crossing so i use a DM that is more like a ball-playing central defender. One CM can be creative but he needs good tackling/marking as well. Crossing is so overpowered.. I really hope they've fixed that for FM17.
Same re DMC is a 'half back'

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This game is so frustrating some times. Sacked by Australia for finishing 3rd in the WC group stage, even though I'd won them the Asian Cup and they didn't even qualify for the previous WC.

Minkaro

What's the best way to use Pogba on this? I'm pretty happy with my tactic and instructions, but I still think he could be playing better than he is.

My typical starting XI is:

De Gea (G - De)
Darmian (FB - Au) Smalling (CD - De) Bailly (CD - De) Shaw (FB - Au)
Pogba (DLP - Su) Schneiderlin (BWM - Su)
Lingard (IF - Su) Mata (AM - At) Mkhitaryan (If - Su)
Ibrahimovic (AF - At)
Annoyingly the DLP role has "shoot less often" and "hold position" as built in instructions, which I don't think suits him at all. Box to box or roaming playmaker, perhaps? I'd rather not move him forward as I'm happy with Mata as AMC, and I want to work on giving Gribbin game time as well.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Pogba has B2B is always brilliant. Will score a lot of goals.

paulscholes18

Started a save with Bayern Beat Man Utd 4-2 and A. Madrid 4-1 (Rashford scored twice)in pre season won the Super Cup, not played a league game yet. Signed Bailly and Rashford

Neuer
Benatia Boatang Alaba
Coman Vidal Thiago Costa
Muller Lewandowski Robben

PeteManic

Tempted to start a new save this week and got thinking about teams i have never managed (in a 15 year CM/FM "career").

I've never managed Real Madrid, A.C. Milan, Juventus, Bayern, Dortmund, Ajax.

Are there any obvious teams you have never managed on the game?

paulscholes18

Tempted to start a new save this week and got thinking about teams i have never managed (in a 15 year CM/FM "career").

Had my favourite ever save with them, that was back in FM 05.

Don't think I have completed a season with Porto, Benfica PSG, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool. Im sure I have Managed at least 1 season with all the major European teams

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Real Madrid, can never bring myself to manage them :lol: Bayern too just because I think it would be boring.

Panther

Took out QPR in the Championship, spent £490k and finished 1st with 98 points. Then in my first season in the Prem, I finished 2nd just 3 points behind 1st and spending £18m.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Before I get stuck in to FM17 (I'll need to buy it first) I'm giving FM16 one final blast with an experiment to see if the Red Bull football conglomerate can dominate the world (well, Europe mostly)

In addition to FC Red Bull Salzburg, RB Leipzig, New York Red Bulls and Red Bull Brasil (there's also Red Bull Ghana, but Ghanaian leagues aren't in the game) I've created three new Red Bull clubs, so the company now has clubs in all four of the biggest football countries in Europe - Germany, England, Italy and Spain - as well as Austria, USA and Brazil, which should be a sufficient platform for Red Bull to take over the world.

I've dissolved York City, Racing Santander and AS Livorno, who have been destroyed and rebranded by Red Bull:

Their stadia has been bulldozed and turned into branches of Aldi, and replaced with soulless, generic Red Bull Arenas down the road.

RB Leipzig's mission statement was to reach the Bundesliga from the 5th tier in 8 years. They did it in 7 (though this experiment starts in 15-16, so Leipzig are still in the 2nd tier in the game, so they'll need to do it again). York are in the 4th tier, Santander the 3rd tier and Livorno the 2nd tier, so they should get there quicker. I've given all of the Red Bull clubs buttloads of money and state of the art facilities, but pretty much no fans and lousy reputations, because they're all plastic as feck and everyone hates them.

I'm just about to sim a few years and see if anyone has reached the top flight or maybe fluked a cup.

In 10-12 years, I'm hoping there is an All-Red Bull Champions League semi final draw, and football is ruined forever.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Still playing this, with a team I've never managed before too...

Liverpool!

Fancied trying to use all their attacking talent in a great attacking tactic.