Gaming Football Manager 2016

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Find the game really challenging this year in a scenario like mine.

PSG just have so much quality/resources it's just been so difficult to get anywhere near them so far.

Meller

Playing as Dortmund, my CL group consists of Arsenal, PSV and Victoria Plzen. I won the first game against PSV 2-0, no biggie. The second game I lost away to Victoria Plzen, 31-8 in shots in my favour, it ended 2-1. Next game away to Arsenal, I lose 3-2. Won the shots 33-20. Game after that at home to Arsenal, 1-1 draw, won the shots 40-8. I'm now in serious trouble of going through to the frecking next round. Meanwhile in the league I have 10 straight wins and a goal difference of 29-1... This game sometimes.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Playing as Dortmund, my CL group consists of Arsenal, PSV and Victoria Plzen. I won the first game against PSV 2-0, no biggie. The second game I lost away to Victoria Plzen, 31-8 in shots in my favour, it ended 2-1. Next game away to Arsenal, I lose 3-2. Won the shots 33-20. Game after that at home to Arsenal, 1-1 draw, won the shots 40-8. I'm now in serious trouble of going through to the frecking next round. Meanwhile in the league I have 10 straight wins and a goal difference of 29-1... This game sometimes.
Do you have 'Work ball into box' on?

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
No I was actually contemplating putting that on the next few CL games. What do you think?
In my experience it will make you a lot more clinical. It should solve your 50 shots a game problem.

Meller

Okay I'll give it a go, thanks guys. Oh and I have 2 new injuries before my crucial away game to PSV. Great.

Meller

FFS. Away to PSV, playing good but only 1-0 up. They score from a free kick and it's 1-1. Oh and Varane got injured as well. This seasons CL is frecking cursed.

EDIT: Thank you Arsenal! They beat PSV in the final game and I smashed Victoria Plzen 5-0 so finished second on 8 points (embarrassing). I was planning on winning the whole thing but my self-confidence has gone down quite a bit so I'm just happy to not crash out in the group stage.

Last edited:

Meller

It's a fecking joke. Tottenham at home in the round of 16. They have 7 shots, score 4 goals. I don't know whats wrong but I'm raging. I was 3-1 up and managed to lose 4-3. Joke.
Oh and in the game before against Bayern in the league they scored 2 out of 7 shots. Lost 2-1. Joke joke joke.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I feel like starting a new game, can anyone recommend me a database update, so I get most summer transfers?

@Meller do you check how much of your shots are HC/CCC/long shots? Sometimes the shot stats are very misleading because your team has rather toothless possession and mostly spams ridiculous long shots while the AI team has easy counter attacks.

Last edited:

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I feel like starting a new game, can anyone recommend me a database update, so I get most summer transfers?

@Meller do you check how much of your shots are HC/CCC/long shots? Sometimes the shot stats are very misleading because your team has rather toothless possession and mostly spams ridiculous long shots while the AI team has easy counter attacks.
https://sortitoutsi.net/football-manager-data-update

You can also use this to start at 30th May 2016 with real life tables
https://sortitoutsi.net/football-manager-start-date

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Ok will try that. Right now he's been a box to box midfielder in a midfield 3 and playing very well. 5 goals in 10 in the league.
Playing as an AM(a) for me last United save, he was getting about 20 goals and 20 assists a season. Of course that was a massive muppet save with Neymar and Dybala flanking him and Martial up front.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Playing as an AM(a) for me last United save, he was getting about 20 goals and 20 assists a season. Of course that was a massive muppet save with Neymar and Dybala flanking him and Martial up front.
How much did those two cost you? I'm planning on using Ibra for 2 years and then signing Neymar or Dybala to replace him. Maybe both...

Meller

Got rather sick of Dortmund, or well, sick of the Bundesliga as the only other team that would even come close to challenging was FC Bayern. On the other hand Man United had underperformed for years, not winning a single PL or CL trophy (it's 2021), and was without a manager so I declared interest in the job. This led to the Dortmund board basically asking me to apologise or resign, and I promptly resigned. Got the Man United job and it's amazing the kind of crap the AI managers spend their money on. Sold Shakiri, James McCarthy, Ayoze Perez, Josh Murphy, Victor Fischer and Joao Cancelo for a combined £81m. Brought in Alaba, Januzaj and a Brazilian CM regen which I signed for Dortmund for a combined £95m. Also looking for a striker and a RB to strengthen.

De Gea is still around, as is Jones, Blind, Mata and Depay (and they're all great). Also Shaw and Rashford are still around and they're decent backups. There's a few promising players in the youth teams as well. There's also Strootman, Busquets, Sergi Samper, Laporte and Bartra that I'll keep for now.

Oh and Mourinho instantly mocked my appointment :(, but I'll show him!

Aussie_Red_Devil

Decided to do a United englush only save. Started by selling all foreign players. Was able to sell Blind, Rojo, Mata, Valencia, Januzaj, Fellaini, TFM for a combinded 76 million pounds. Rest i couldn't sell so i loaned them out. Including De Gea to Chelsea for some reason.

Managed to bring in.

Drinkwater £35M
Stones £37M
Chambers £17M
Huddlestone £4.6M

GK Johnson
DR Chambers
DCR Smalling
DCL Stones
DL Shaw
MCR Carrick
MC Huddlestone
MCL Drinkwater
AMR Young
AML Lingard
STC Rooney

Squad
Gk Byrne
Defenders Jones, CBJ, Riley
Midfielders Weir, Goss, Rothwell, Harrop, Willock.
Forwards Mitchell, Keane, Rashford.

Doing ok after 3 games. 1-0 over Sunderland, 0-0 with Liverpool and 4-1 over Lazio.

Gonna be a stuggle if i run into injurys but I'm hoping to be able make a run at the title eventually.

Aussie_Red_Devil

Also big Sam had a go at me for having to many english players. And he calls himself the England Manager lol.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Just after smashing my fourth CL in a row with Heerenveen, then the Netherlands won the 2022 World Cup, with my right back Diouri not only winning POTM, he won the Golden Ball with an average rating of 8.5 across 7 games.

Turns out the staff were indeed right when they said he'd be one of the best of his generation.

What's amazing is this is how he developed after missing 5 months with knee tendonitis.

Westerhof turned out every bit as good, despite not having the generational tag. Last season he scored 31 goals, and assisted 30 more, which is ridiculous, as he only started 27 games and was subbed on in 21 more.

Lami was tagged as a generational talent too, but his first u-19's game he broke his leg, and the rest of the intake season, and the whole of the next was pretty much a write off in terms of development. After that, I decided it was sink or swim, had my star striker tutor him a few times to make him Professional, whilst selling my backup strikers and threw him in at the deep end. He recovered well, and is well on track to hitting that potential.

Hashemi is another generational talent, and currently my 2nd choice LB, he has been since a few months after the intake. He's growing well, but mostly as a physical beast, not really talented. Doesn't really matter though, he's putting in the performances.

These were the best of the first intake, van Melick has been my best holding mid for a few years(his backup is a retrained CB), and Krijger has mostly been on loan, but is now learning to be a(backup) left winger.

These two are both tagged generational talents, from more recent intakes, Anautan is notable for being a fine Gomez Addams impersonator, though his fancy moustache game needs work, as it's to one side, Myers, an American clone of Hashemi.....

Jenkins and Bartholomew are a pair of American strikers that look like they could make the first team handily enough, IIRC Jenkins is another tagged generational.

Meller

How are you guys setting up away from home? I've tried multiple tactics but I can't seem to get a win from anywhere. I've tried going quite attacking with a control setting, now I'm much more conservative with an anchor man but I'm still conceding every game. Also playing standard. I'm not creating enough chances either. Didn't really do that on control either. I don't have many TI's, but I can't seem to get the defense or the offense to work. Any tips?

Tosicsleftpeg

Just bought FM yesterday I know I'm a bit late.

Finding it very very hard to win games even as united against poorer EPL sides. Downloaded a couple of tactics off steam playing 442 and signed Pogba and some other young talents like Luan and Pjaca but I'm languishing in 14th after 7 games and got hammered by PSG 4-2 ...

Think I might have to restart and try again.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Watford board are cnuts. Had a longterm save with them, started off with them and turned them into the best club in europe and had just finished my 9th season with them. Asked to build a new stadium as we had a limited expansion potential and had like a 200m transfer budget that I wasn't using, they reject it. So I leaked to the press, and they sack me!
Good thing Zidane had just been sacked as manager of United so I'll just go right there. Was hoping to last 10 seasons though.

Or maybe I should hold off and try to manage one of Barca/Madrid... Not sure now.
Edit: And now Blanc (who was Barca manager) took over from me at Watford so Barca is available... Hmmmm.

Last edited:

TakeMeHome

TakeMeHome
Finally settled into a journeyman save which I'm enjoying.
Started at Portsmouth, destroyed league 2 and got promoted with just 1 loss aswell as winning the Johnstones paint trophy. Got offered a job by Sunderland who got relegated to the championship with a decentish squad and budget. Resigned around christmas after the players started kicking off & I couldnt get them to play the same way I got my Portsmouth team to play. Applied for the Southampton job around March time who were 18th and fighting relegation. Took over another decent squad with low morale however beat West Ham on the last game of the season to survive and send them down instead. Following season I lost Pelle to Fiorentina but signed Gignac who turned into a monster and got me 9th position and a FA Cup. Spurs meanwhile finished 5th after winning the title the season before, sacked Rudi Garcia and I applied and got the job. They had a brilliant squad with players like Gabriel Barbosa, Danilo and Thiago Maia and I won the title in my 1st season as well as the Europa League. About to start my 2nd season and I just signed Kante, Johnathan Tah and Icardi to provide competiton for Kane. Got a brand spanking new stadium too
At the 'business end' of my 2nd season with Spurs. Just beat Chelsea in the fa cup semi final and have a final against Wolves coming up. In the Champions League I just beat Chelsea 2-1 again in the 1st leg of the semi final. In the League, I am second, 1 point behind United with a game in hand. I play them at OT on the last day of the season :). I could have been 2 points clear had I not rested players for the CL semi against Watford. Icardi has 35 for me in all competitons and Kane has chipped in with 18 and Gabigol with 20.

Meller

I just found a player worth £4. So I gave them an offer they couldn't refuse of £2.
They accepted! But he wasn't interested, such a shame. Defender with an average rating of 5.74 over 27 games.
He probably has an agreement with Wenger, damn it.

Edit: The great Tobias Klotz takes the cake for amazing performances over the season with an average of 4.41 in 27 games as a right winger. He earns a staggering £220/week doing this.

Last edited: