Football Manager 2017

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
On my Inter save. Spurs won the league, with Harry Kane scoring 30 goals or so. So, Man Utd signed him for £84m and.. Spurs win the league again on goal difference with United 2nd :lol: They scored about 98 goals, crazy amount for an AI team. Also knocked me out the CL semis but lost the CL final to Bayern on penalties. Why are they so good?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

First transfer window with Borussia. Reus wanted to leave.

Art Vandelay

I'm having an issue with work permits. Every time I apply for one for Maximiliano Romero it sets a date of the next day for the hearing but then nothing ever happens. I'm now afraid to sign foreign youngsters in case it happens with everyone.

Also is there a way to stop the AI from demanding at least 30% of profit from all transfers? It's rendering buying younger players a bit shit knowing I'm going to lose a lot of the profit I make if they don't make it.

Meller

Figured this should be pretty cheap by now, where is a good site to pick it up?

Skizzo

I'm having an issue with work permits. Every time I apply for one for Maximiliano Romero it sets a date of the next day for the hearing but then nothing ever happens. I'm now afraid to sign foreign youngsters in case it happens with everyone.

Also is there a way to stop the AI from demanding at least 30% of profit from all transfers? It's rendering buying younger players a bit shit knowing I'm going to lose a lot of the profit I make if they don't make it.
You can try making your first bid a good enough one to get accepted and make it non-negotiable.

Art Vandelay

You can try making your first bid a good enough one to get accepted and make it non-negotiable.
Then I end up paying way over the odds which also makes signing them a shit deal. Even if you offer what your scouts think they will cost they still end up looking for a lot more. Greedy shits.

NinjaFletch

Then I end up paying way over the odds which also makes signing them a shit deal. Even if you offer what your scouts think they will cost they still end up looking for a lot more. Greedy shits.
I've had success with clicking it myself and then, before I submit the offer, clicking the button that says 'remove and exclude from negotiations' which then seems to be able to stop the AI from asking for it.

Art Vandelay

I've had success with clicking it myself and then, before I submit the offer, clicking the button that says 'remove and exclude from negotiations' which then seems to be able to stop the AI from asking for it.
Good plan, I'm going to try that.

I just rage quit. Going into the last match of the season level on points with Arsenal all we needed was a win away to mid-table Chelsea who had a pile of injuries. Right before the match I lose Shaw, Pogba and Dybala to training injuries that rule them out of that game and both cup finals, we were then 4-0 down after 20 minutes and barely getting a kick. Just an entire season wasted in the space of two in game days.

Meller

Bought this the other day and started a United save, Mata injured straight away for 7-8 months, fantastic. Also lost Mhiki for 5 weeks and sold Herrera to Real Madrid.

Meller

So yeah still in my first season with United and it's going quite well, 2nd and a point behind Arsenal in mid December. The squad is honestly pretty wank though, sold Herrera in August as he wanted to leave when Real came in for him and both Jones and Rooney kicked up a fuss so selling them both in January, Rooney to Everton and Jones to Chelsea. Fellaini is also leaving, but right now I can't even remember where to. Mata is obviously still injured, and Angel Gomes broke his leg which is unfortunate. Basti is out for a few months as well, and Shaw gets injured a lot. I've played Gribbin, Tuanzebe and TFM a lot, and especially TFM has been good as a BWM next to Pogba. In January I'm bringing in that 16 year old LB from Fulham, can't remember his name, and also Mbappe from Monaco. I bought Asensio from Real Madrid in August and he's been good but not great. Playing a 4-2-3-1 both home and away, and it's been decent. I tend not to lose games but draw quite a lot but I put that down mostly to my poor squad.

As for the rest of the league, Sunderland has been really good and are lingering around 4-6. Chelsea and Man City have been crap, together with Everton. There's almost a 'shock' result every matchday, but I'm drawing a lot of games so I can't really take advantage of it, but us and Arsenal are at least a few points above Liverpool and Spurs. I have to say that players are whining even more on this than they did on FM15 though, and even with the vast amount of games due to Europa League, they are still not happy. Carrick, Jones, Rojo, Lingard and Rooney have complained, resulting in Carrick leaving on a free at the end of the season and me selling Rooney and Jones. Lingard has been crap for me so will happily see him go, but still. Rojo is the only one that came around after a few games.

Art Vandelay

I sold Martial and Depay for continually flattering to deceive. The pair of them did very little on the left and neither created much for Gabigol or Dybala. So I flogged them and brought in Hirving Lozano. Front three of Lozano, Dybala and Gabigol with Pogba and Adrien Silva in behind them have ripped Arsenal and West Brom apart. 11 goals in 2 games for them. Every one of them has at least one goal and one assist each.

Classical Mechanic

Beat Shaktar 10-0 in the return leg of the CL quarters, lost 0-2 in the first leg. Biggest ever win on this version. Hat tricks for Angel Gomes, Pogba and Max Romero, Romero got 4 assists too.

NM

Folks - is there an editor or database that allows you to download classic teams/leagues?

I'd love to play the 07-08 or 98-99 season. Additionally, is there a way to create a league with classic teams? Eg. Barca 09, United 08, United 99, Arsenal Invincibles etc?

I was a FM addict 10 years ago but have barely played recently and want to know whether to get this.

Classical Mechanic

How did you get a work permit for Romero?
Send them to Spain for two seasons. You can get Romero for £5m at the start of the game. I think you can get a permit for them after one and half seasons even. It is best to send them on a two year loan to be safe because sometimes you can't get a Spanish club interested the season after and they have to return within 40 days or something.

Don't let the work permit situation get in the way of developing South American wonderkids.

Art Vandelay

Send them to Spain for two seasons. You can get Romero for £5m at the start of the game. I think you can get a permit for them after one and half seasons even. It is best to send them on a two year loan to be safe because sometimes you can't get a Spanish club interested the season after and they have to return within 40 days or something.

Don't let the work permit situation get in the way of developing South American wonderkids.
Do they become Spanish after two years or is it international appearances? I've loaned him out to Ajax for the time being. I've another lad has played the last 10 games for the Argentina under 20's but that doesn't seem to count and I can't get a work permit for him either.

Classical Mechanic

Do they become Spanish after two years or is it international appearances? I've loaned him out to Ajax for the time being. I've another lad has played the last 10 games for the Argentina under 20's but that doesn't seem to count and I can't get a work permit for him either.
He has Spanish nationality yes. It is the same rules that apply in real life. He is 22 on my game now and still hasn't been capped at senior level by Argentina and that is with 26 goals and 21 assists by late April!

@Classical Mechanic @Art Vandelay you seem like regular players. Any insight into the question I asked?
I'm not sure on that count I'm afraid. @Solius would be best to ask I think after reading their posts in here.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Folks - is there an editor or database that allows you to download classic teams/leagues?

I'd love to play the 07-08 or 98-99 season. Additionally, is there a way to create a league with classic teams? Eg. Barca 09, United 08, United 99, Arsenal Invincibles etc?

I was a FM addict 10 years ago but have barely played recently and want to know whether to get this.
You can try looking in the custom databases over on sortitoutsi or fmscout.

Minkaro

@Classical Mechanic Is there a good way to get him to a Spanish club on loan, or a way to develop interest? I've signed him in the 2017 window, offered him out (till end of next season) and not a single Spanish club wanted him (and that's with 50 odd offers).

In other news I decided this was going to be a save where I didn't allow myself to be a muppet. I'm now looking at a team with Griezmann, Isco, Gimenez and maybe Lewandowski in it. (Maybe Lewa because I'm desperately trying to flog Lingard to be able to afford the bit extra I need to sign him).

Classical Mechanic

@Classical Mechanic Is there a good way to get him to a Spanish club on loan, or a way to develop interest? I've signed him in the 2017 window, offered him out (till end of next season) and not a single Spanish club wanted him (and that's with 50 odd offers).

In other news I decided this was going to be a save where I didn't allow myself to be a muppet. I'm now looking at a team with Griezmann, Isco, Gimenez and maybe Lewandowski in it. (Maybe Lewa because I'm desperately trying to flog Lingard to be able to afford the bit extra I need to sign him).
It's a tricky one as sometimes no Spanish club will offer for a player, that is why I always tie up a two year loan if I get an offer.

The only way to garner more interest is to offer the player for free i.e. you pay the wages and receive no loan fee, it is worth it in the end, Romero is a top top player on my game now (5 seasons completed). You might have to loan him out elsewhere for a season failing that, keep trying until the end of the window though. The player can still sign a new contract with you without a WP.

Acole9

Outstanding
Started on my game again yesterday and noticed the update, already spotted one bug, when I subbed Rojo for CBJ it kept flashing up multiple times I'd subbed him.

Art Vandelay

I keep trying to not be a muppet and thinking this is the summer I recoup more than I spend. Teams won't pay big bucks for my players and then one always gets me. I saw City were in for Renato Sanches and I thought "No you don't!" got the board to sign him for me. If you count Pogba then United have signed three £80m+ players in the three years I've been in charge. Dyballa last year and he's well worth it. I also spent £46m on Bellotti and £17m on Lozano. Lozano is the only one of them that's really first team. Bellotti is third choice and Sanches is second choice in two different positions behind Pogba and Silva.

@Classical Mechanic Cheers. It does a crap job of explaining work permits. I've Romero on loan at Ajax and Collidio out at my feeder club Twente, looks like I'll have to try sending at least one of them to Spain. I tried getting a feeder club there but none were on the list of options. You used to be able to get a work permit if they were special talents. I blame Trump, political correctness gone mad, them foreigners, Brexit and space bats.

Classical Mechanic

@Art Vandelay

The Man Utd board wouldn't sanction a foreign feeder club for because how well Angel Gomes had developed and they didn't want to spend money developing foreign youngsters.

I had one season where my net spend was about -£150m but the rest of the seasons I make money by getting tidy free transfers, signing low and selling high and developing regens.

I signed Tomas Lemar for £16m and after two seasons he is wort £37.5m and Lewis Cook for £11m and sold him after two seasons for £30m to Spurs, as two examples.

Signed a cracking regen called David Balde form Porto for £19m after he requested a transfer after I bid for him, he is worth £30m after one season and is looking like becoming a 4 or 5* player, already rated at 3.5*.

Art Vandelay

@Art Vandelay

The Man Utd board wouldn't sanction a foreign feeder club for because how well Angel Gomes had developed and they didn't want to spend money developing foreign youngsters.

I had one season where my net spend was about -£150m but the rest of the seasons I make money by getting tidy free transfers, signing low and selling high and developing regens.

I signed Tomas Lemar for £16m and after two seasons he is wort £37.5m and Lewis Cook for £11m and sold him after two seasons for £30m to Spurs, as two examples.

Signed a cracking regen called David Balde form Porto for £19m after he requested a transfer after I bid for him, he is worth £30m after one season and is looking like becoming a 4 or 5* player, already rated at 3.5*.
I normally do all that, but for some reason it's just not working out for me this year. Teams just won't pay me big bucks for my players and I'm having to spend way over the odds to get players in. It's just not working out, next season is my season for making money. I've Scheiderlin, Blind and Herrera all to sell. Although I'm loathe to sell Blind as he covers about 4 or 5 positions and is great for tutoring younger players.

I did sign a bunch of 4 or 5* rated youngsters in the summer that I hope to cash in on some day.

Macern

Pee pee pants
I just beat Atletico 10-0, can't believe it. I started a new game, fast forwarded to 2017 and took over United. Bought Griezmann, Dybala, Van Dijk and a young CDM called Lucas Torreira who I'm moulding into a right back. Came up against them in my CL group, lost the away game 1-0 and just won my home game 10-0. Holy shit

Played with this team:
DDG
Torreira, Bailly, Van Dijk, Shaw
Herrera, Pogba
Dybala, Mkhitaryan , Griezmann
Zlatan

Art Vandelay

Anyone ever have a player that's just unhappy with training overall? Lozano has been that way for me for months and nothing changes it. I dunno if it's because he's having trouble settling in, but he's playing well and is going to break Dyballa's assists record months before the season ends by the look of things. I just can't figure out what his issue is.

Art Vandelay

Dyballa has 18 goals and 4 assists in 20 games for me this season, possibly going to win the Ballon D'or. I've just lost him from 26th of December until the 10th of February...to play in the Asian Cup....for Argentina...he will then need to be rested when he comes back. I am not amused.

Meller

What kind of role suits Pogba best? I've tried him both as a roaming and advanced playmaker from the MF position. He's ok but should be doing better.

Macern

Pee pee pants
What kind of role suits Pogba best? I've tried him both as a roaming and advanced playmaker from the MF position. He's ok but should be doing better.
Same for me. Can't really get much out of him. Hope he develops. Playing him as an advanced playmaker on attacking.

Macern

Pee pee pants
I'm in late 2018 with United and I need some tips on how to improve this:

De Gea
Torreira - Van Dijk - Laporte - Shaw
Mascherano
Verratti - Pogba
Dybala - Griezmann - Mkhitaryan

Before you ask who Torreira is, he's a young DM in the game who I've moulded into one of the best right back in the game and he can't really be improved upon. Van Dijk is averaging roughly 7.40 for me both this and last season so don't think I want to consider doing anything there.

I've got L. Gustavo as well as Mascherano and I can't really find anyone better than them. They're declining but I've got Fosu Mensah who is doing great things on loan at Milan so think I'm going to put him in my team next season or so.
Griezmann is currently in my reserve team because he's a whiny cnut but hopefully he'll come around.

Art Vandelay

Same for me. Can't really get much out of him. Hope he develops. Playing him as an advanced playmaker on attacking.
That's what I've been doing with him. Alongside a box-to-box and deep lying playmaker on defend. He had 15 goals and 15 assists last season, but this he's going to end up on maybe 12 goals and 8 assists by the look of things. He's a really hard player to get the best out of for long periods, he kind of just facilitates everyone else while going through very brief spells of phenomenal form. His average rating is sometimes around 8.00 for a few months but then usually drops down to near 7. Every once in a while I tell him off for not creating much and he picks up for a while. He's a bit hard to inspire in team talks too. Looking at what I just typed though, maybe I'm expecting too much of him.

Macern

Pee pee pants
That's what I've been doing with him. Alongside a box-to-box and deep lying playmaker on defend. He had 15 goals and 15 assists last season, but this he's going to end up on maybe 12 goals and 8 assists by the look of things. He's a really hard player to get the best out of for long periods, he kind of just facilitates everyone else while going through very brief spells of phenomenal form. His average rating is sometimes around 8.00 for a few months but then usually drops down to near 7. Every once in a while I tell him off for not creating much and he picks up for a while. He's a bit hard to inspire in team talks too. Looking at what I just typed though, maybe I'm expecting too much of him.
Definitely, I can't get those numbers out of him at all. You can't really expect more from a central midfielder.

Skizzo

Started an MLS save a few days ago. Started with the new Atlanta franchise, been a lot of fun so far, even though it took some time to properly understand all the waivers and drafts etc (and I still don't really)

Having to rely on some youth players as apparently were already maxed on designated players (which is news to me because I can't imagine any of time being worth a DP spot besides Guzan who was already scheduled to be transferred in)

Did manage to win the title my first season, and had a few 1st round draft picks to play with in the start of the second season to try and get some more quality youth in.

I guess my long term goal is to try and win the Club World Championships, and maybe a World Cup. Or maybe I'll get bored and feck off across the ocean back to England.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I simulated (Holiday'd actually) two saves for one year with my team from the FM2017 Club draft replacing Arsenal and in one I won the league and in the other I got fired while my team was in 10th.

Gabriel Jesus was very good in both. Unfortunately Rabiot keeps getting benched and can't develop as intended.

I intended to simulate one more full season before I try my hand at managing the drafted team myself

M.Verratti
G.Jesus
L.Bonucci
F.Bernardeschi
A.Rabiot
G.Guedes
P.Kimpembe
F.Luis
B.Matuidi
S.Handanovic
W.Carvalho
D.Welbeck