Football Manager 2017

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Huh no seriously. Happened to me in fm16, game file was corrupted. 70% of goals came from back post crosses
How do you know it was corrupted? Was there anything that told you aside from odd play?

CrackersJr

cum covered cherries
Restarted a file there recently with United, brought in Donnaruma, Yarmolenko, and Danilo, loaned Rooney out to Everton with a sell on fee of 18.99, and Romero to AC Milan on loan with a sell on of 7.5 and Fellaini sold to Rubin for 12 mil.

Danilo was a steal at 8mil and has so far after 10 games been one of my top performers, and when Mata broke his leg I threw Lingard into the center attacking role which has so far got the best out of pogba! Herrera is the top passer in my team and league with 91% accuracy thus far, and Ibra has netted 10 goals in 10 league games....

Not a bad way to go really!

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Just knocked Liverpool out of the cup in my Wolves save. They've really upped the realism this year, eh? :drool:

I don't like how players don't ask for a new contract anymore, so you can't just fob them off with "we'll do it at the end of the season" so you can do everyone at the same time. It seems the agent just comes at you and says "My client needs an improved deal" and immediately you're negotiating a contract.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Ok so I'm finally starting a game and sticking to it. Tried doing all this journeyman foreign league stuff but I don't get to play it enough to remember what's going on each time I load the save. I started a game and simmed til near the end of the 2016/17 season. West Brom were looking for a manager due to sitting 17th with 2 games to go. I took over and drew the final two matches, taking them to 15th.

I've had an extremely busy merry-go-round summer window:

I've looked to massively reduce the age of the squad. There were loads of 31 - 37 year olds and I've brought in a decent young group plus some in their early 20s. Rondon and Chadli wanted out and I think I got decent deals for them. Berahino was about to move for a free so I managed to sell him for at least some money.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Didn't even concede a goal and then got a battering. Scoreline was harsh though.

EDIT: 4 - 0 battering of Watford and normal service is now resumed.

Last edited:

Skizzo

I've finally come to the consensus that I haven't kept up enough with all the tactical micro managing needed to be good at this game anymore.

I can go on vacation and let my ass man manage the team using the same tactics, and we'll go on a winning run. I come back and manage a game and immediately lose. Almost every time without fail :rolleyes:

CrackersJr

cum covered cherries
Ok so I'm finally starting a game and sticking to it. Tried doing all this journeyman foreign league stuff but I don't get to play it enough to remember what's going on each time I load the save. I started a game and simmed til near the end of the 2016/17 season. West Brom were looking for a manager due to sitting 17th with 2 games to go. I took over and drew the final two matches, taking them to 15th.

I've had an extremely busy merry-go-round summer window:

I've looked to massively reduce the age of the squad. There were loads of 31 - 37 year olds and I've brought in a decent young group plus some in their early 20s. Rondon and Chadli wanted out and I think I got decent deals for them. Berahino was about to move for a free so I managed to sell him for at least some money.

How did you convince Toure, Tielmans and Janssen to join West Brom!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
How did you convince Toure, Tielmans and Janssen to join West Brom!
This is the start of the 2017/18 season so I guess Toure is not what he once was but City released him and he only wanted 60k a week.

Tielemans was the most expensive but again needed no convincing.

Janssen was on the transfer list at Spurs and was happy to join. Got injured on his first day though.

CrackersJr

cum covered cherries
This is the start of the 2017/18 season so I guess Toure is not what he once was but City released him and he only wanted 60k a week.

Tielemans was the most expensive but again needed no convincing.

Janssen was on the transfer list at Spurs and was happy to join. Got injured on his first day though.
Ah, fair enough so! Best of luck to ye...

Name Changed

weso26
My 2016 game has become incredibly slow. I haven't played it in months and didn't download anything new. Any ideas on how to speed it back up? I deleted the game and reinstalled it to no effect. I only have the English leagues playing.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Started a game as MK Dons as that's where i've moved to now. Didn't change the squad too much as it's pretty much good enough for promotion anyway. Did bring in Macheda though as my 'Star' Striker. I'm 5th at the moment after 15 games, don't think i'll manage to get automatic promotion but playoffs is probable!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Is there a way to stop your team going forward for free-kicks?

I was leading 1 - 0 away to Leicester and in the last few minutes I'd moved most of my players back, set to contain, etc... but then we got a free-kick in their half and the whole bloody team went up for it. Leicester broke and equalised.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Is there a way to stop your team going forward for free-kicks?

I was leading 1 - 0 away to Leicester and in the last few minutes I'd moved most of my players back, set to contain, etc... but then we got a free-kick in their half and the whole bloody team went up for it. Leicester broke and equalised.
I want a feature that stops a player on a hattrick taking a penalty. Lost a game 3-2 because my centre back decided to step up :mad:

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
I finally put my game to rest after being in year 2040 something. Jose retired at United after years of faithful service.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I just had 3 penalties in a match and then a couple of games later had 2 penalties in a match. They aren't very evenly spread throughout the season.

Acole9

Outstanding
Arsenal have just sacked Wenger but have made him Director of football.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

So this was the table going into the last day. I've managed to keep up my good form despite a dodgy middle of the season after Yacob and Evans broke their ankles and I was in with a chance of Europe somehow. City had Bournemouth at home on the last day and I had Arsenal at home.

Did a genuine fist pump when Bournemouth scored an 89th minute equaliser :lol:

Had a really good season. Andone has scored 21 goals with 18 in the league but I still can't shake the feeling that he's shit. Tielemans has been magnificent and Tuanzebe was class.

Going to see what happens in the summer. I'm up for going for a more prestigious job if they'll have me. Chelsea are looking pretty wank. I applied for the job when they sacked Bielsa mid season but I didn't even get an interview.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
So Marseille triggered Andone's release clause just after I sold Janssen (who was beyond usless). Yaya Toure asked to leave too and I shifted a few other players. These are my signings so far.

Darder looks like a really solid midfielder. Can tackle, pass and has good mental and physical stats so will be good to replace an ageing Yacob. Belotti looks a beast too and can't sniff at Lingard on a free, already my best wide player. Also got Tuanzebe back on loan, as well as Joao Cancelo.

paulscholes18

Started as the manager of France been using a 4-2-4-0 formation
First 11 when Available
Lloris
Sidibe Varune Laporte Kurzawa
Kante Pogba
Dembele Griezmann Lemar Martial

Topped the WC group on GD ahead of Holland (lost 1-0 to them at home won 2-1 away) GF 38 GA 4

Minkaro

I may have rage quit my last game, and now I'm moving into a new one (as United) with the intent of playing a different tactic to usual, and was hoping for some pointers. Obviously I don't expect them any time soon, given the small matter of St. Etienne. (No transfer budget in the first window, by the way, so no point telling me to sign Neymar). Going for a control mentality, structured shape.

GK
FB (Au) CD (de) CD (de) FB (au)
DLP (de)
BWM (Su) RPM (Su)
If (Su) If (SU)
AF (At)
Pretty much based on what we've done recently, the midfield is likely to be Carrick as the DLP, Herrera as BWM, Pogba RPM, and I'm fairly happy with that. I wonder if making the FBs attacking might work a bit better, as the IFs are going to be vacating that wing area to cut inside quite a bit. Then again, automatic lets them fit into what the team is doing, so that might be safest.

It's really the front three I'm not sure about. Getting goals has often been my biggest problem on this edition of FM. Maybe AF isn't the best option for the lone striker, but I'm not sure what would be best to replace it - maybe Complete Foward or Target Man? Switching one IF to an attack role, and making the other a winger might work better as well. Have Martial on the left as the IF, and then Mkhi/Mata on the right.

I've a few team/player instructions in place, but won't go into those as I'm fairly happy that I can apply them properly.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Enjoying following the West Brom story!
We're doing well! These are the results so far this season.

The Brentford game came as the third away in 6 days and I've rapidly realised my squad is way too small to deal with European football. I did play a weak team though and they scored in extra time. The United game is FAKE NEWS because I was drawing 2 - 2 before Tielemans got injured after I'd made all 3 subs so I was down to ten men for the last 25 minutes and let in two.

Belotti and Aboubakar both scoring though. Belotti already has ten. Cancelo has five for the season, he's immense but only on loan from PSG. Tuanzebe has become my first choice CB and I'm trying to lure him here permanently but Jose is having none of it. Darder has been a great signing and my midfield is a lot younger and more mobile now than the midfield of Fletcher, Toure and Yacob I had last season. Weakest area is the wings. I have Lingard and Phillips and basically nobody else.

EDIT: Also apparently the Europa League is my bitch even though I've under-prioritised it this season.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Belotti now has 18 Prem goals at Christmas and 22 overall. He's so good.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Haven't really played much FM17 so don't know what works and what doesn't. Fast forwarded to the summer of 2017 and took over United. Bought Florenzi, Manolas, Nainggolan, Griezmann and Pulisic

Playing 4-2-3-1 with Mata as a right attacking mid, Griezmann as a #10 and Martial on the left wing with Rashford up front because Zlatan retired and is now a manager that cnut. Nainggolan as a box to box next to Pogba who is a roaming playmaker or whatever it's called in english. Shaw as an attacking fullback and Florenzi as an attacking wingback because I'm not playing with a right winger. Has worked really well in my first couple of games. Still a couple of days left of the transfer window. What should I do? Leave it as it is because any more signings would just feck it up or buy a proper CDM to play in difficult games / away games? Not sure who to play there in those games. Blind could work but I'd like a Nigel De Jong type of player - Luiz Gustavo perhaps? What should I do? Funds is obviously not a problem.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Probably the best save I've ever done. Belotti has 35 Prem goals in 29 games and 47 overall :lol:

Could all still go to shit though.

Lay

Managing Inter and I'm getting frustrated with Icardi. Despite scoring 34 goals first season and 25 the second, he seems to have games where he misses sitter after sitter and gets a low rating (missed two pens in one game)

What's a good role for a lone striker? I used advanced striker with him and he's scores goals but they're very patchy. Hat trick one game, then goes two games with a 6.1 rating.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

Probably the best save I've ever done. Belotti has 35 Prem goals in 29 games and 47 overall :lol:

Could all still go to shit though.
You playing him as an AF?

Macern

Pee pee pants
Managing Inter and I'm getting frustrated with Icardi. Despite scoring 34 goals first season and 25 the second, he seems to have games where he misses sitter after sitter and gets a low rating (missed two pens in one game)

What's a good role for a lone striker? I used advanced striker with him and he's scores goals but they're very patchy. Hat trick one game, then goes two games with a 6.1 rating.
That's just how strikers are. They can't always score goals, and when they don't they get low ratings. Look at our own Ibra, he's quite poor in the games he doesn't score

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
That's just how strikers are. They can't always score goals, and when they don't they get low ratings. Look at our own Ibra, he's quite poor in the games he doesn't score
Speak for yourself mate.

Lay

Well, on FM I do quite well with strikers. Even had Balotelli on 40 goals a season on FM16. Icardi is just frustrating.

Skizzo

Been bouncing around a few saves, and can never quite settle into a long term one yet.

Started one with Balbao, FC United (three back to back promotions).

Keep trying a long term save with United, but get bored too easily. Think I need to add some self-restrictions and make it more interesting to stop me just buying anyone and everyone.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Managed to get to two finals but got dicked on in both. That league position though :lol: Belotti was insane. 40 Prem goals and 55 overall.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'm now the Dortmund manager. Big teams were sniffing around Tielemans and Belotti and 3/4s of my defence were loan signings so the team was most likely about to be dismantled. Plus I massively over achieved so anything less next season would piss me off. Dortmund finished 8th so no CL but some great talent still there. Auba, Reus, Dembele, etc.. all still there.