Football Manager 2017

lewwoo

Finally caved in and bought this years after finding it online for £13.99. Started a Utd save while I download facepacks etc although tempted to have a crack with Salford. Just received my transfer budget at 30 million. Is this because all the summer signings are included in the budget at the start of the game? Is the second season budget more realistic? Surely as manager of Utd you should be getting a couple hundred million budget at least to match real life?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Managing Atletico and I've had 120m bid for Griezemann, 110m for Koke and 98m for Saul. With over 300m to spend I could create a super team after one season :lol: But I decided against it, will keep the two Spanish midfielders and sell Griezemann.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I've simmed until the beginning of the 17-18 season and surprisingly was quite similar to real life. Wanted to manage United and oversee an overhaul of the squad and that is exactly what I've done!

Berbaclass

Won the title on the last day thanks to Pogba scoring a screamer in the penultimate game in a comeback win over Leicester. Hammered Bournmouth at OT 4-0 to seal the deal.

Bernardo Silva starrted moaning about something and I've been less than impressed with him since singing so I sold him off back to Monaco for £45 Million and Bought Lemar for £50 Million who looks fantastic!

Decided to splash on Griezmann too. So I pretty much have all of the best french players (Pogba, Griezmann, Lemar, Coman, Dembele, Martial)

Berbaclass

Been experimenting with a Monaco/Atletico type system. A 4-4-2 which is based on the counter which when not in possession reverts to 2 compact banks of 4 players with the two forwards holding upfield ready for the counter. I have so far noticed that the two CM players get attracted to one another leaving a gap either side which makes it slightly susceptible.

Now, I have only tested this against in two games. Liverpool away and Southampton in the CS but the results have been very positive. Particularly the Liverpool game:

Liverpool are a very good side on my game and was surprised at the extent of this hammering that I dished out to them. Examining the stats/analysis sfterwards the team stayed very compact and narrow when defending and pushed out in the transitional phase to launch the counter. Obviously the players I have also come into consideration and this needs to be tested much more but the early signs look good.

Green - With Ball
Orange - Without

JTW95

Gullible sausage
Just gotten back to back promotions with Peterborough in my first 2 seasons. 3rd summer window I manage this.

Is it possible he is a tad underrated on this game? :lol:

Berbaclass

Just gotten back to back promotions with Peterborough in my first 2 seasons. 3rd summer window I manage this.

Is it possible he is a tad underrated on this game? :lol:
Great signing! What sort of system/tactic you using?

JTW95

Gullible sausage
Great signing! What sort of system/tactic you using?
4-3-3DM. Wide, Low Crosses, Run at Defence. Then just sort of tailoring the Player Instructions to each player.

First season wasn't to difficult since Peterborough have a decent young squad for that league. Second season was all down to Lucas Piazon. He completely bossed the championship and we just edged it.

Berbaclass

Everton come to Old Trafford every year and play this formation :lol:

Not even the newly promoted sides play that negative!

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Doing my first save on FM17, with AC Milan. Signed a bunch of italians.

Still trying to get to grips with the ME. Any tips?

Just had a ridiculous game against Fiorentina. Went 2-0 up which was also the HT score. They then turned it around 2-3 with 20 mins to go. Then we put 3 past them. 5-3 lol.

Meller

That's a regular thing for my home/weaker team tactic. Usually average about 30-40 I'd say.
Any tips for unlocking tight defences at home? I sometimes struggle to get more than 20 shots away, something which bothers me as in previous FMs I used to dominate completely at home but struggle away. This year, I have a great away tactic instead, and usually beat all the top teams (and crap) away from home.

Can't get both home/away to work on any single FM damn it.

Berbaclass

Any tips for unlocking tight defences at home? I sometimes struggle to get more than 20 shots away, something which bothers me as in previous FMs I used to dominate completely at home but struggle away. This year, I have a great away tactic instead, and usually beat all the top teams (and crap) away from home.

Can't get both home/away to work on any single FM damn it.
This is my formation/team roles:

My instructions:

As far as player instructions go(in addition to the ones which come with the roles),

GK - Distribute quickly to FB's & Less risky passing
FB's - Stay Wider & Run Wide With Ball
CB's - None
CM's - None
Wingers - None
Forwards - Shoot More

I usually bump up to overload if I'm desperate. This system at home has been fantastic for me against the smaller/weaker sides. I've had one 0-0 apart from that I had a 4-3 which I posted above I've won all others convincingly.
I usually play it when i see that teams are going to be negative (playing 4-1-4-1 etc.) and works very well. This hasnt been tested on any other team that the one I'm playing with so it's not guaranteed to do anything.

Meller

This is my formation/team roles:

My instructions:

As far as player instructions go(in addition to the ones which come with the roles),

GK - Distribute quickly to FB's & Less risky passing
FB's - Stay Wider & Run Wide With Ball
CB's - None
CM's - None
Wingers - None
Forwards - Shoot More

I usually bump up to overload if I'm desperate. This system at home has been fantastic for me against the smaller/weaker sides. I've had one 0-0 apart from that I had a 4-3 which I posted above I've won all others convincingly.
I usually play it when i see that teams are going to be negative (playing 4-1-4-1 etc.) and works very well. This hasnt been tested on any other team that the one I'm playing with so it's not guaranteed to do anything.
Thanks! I'll probably copy most of that next season when I have some more strikers as Zlatan just got injured for 5 months, and he's contemplating to retire.

Diver

....and nobody likes a diver.
Watch Diver Shoots His Load In The General
So my flatmate and I took the plunge and got this. We started unemployed with little experience and a lot of leagues loaded. Fremad Amarger (Danish 2nd tier) took a punt on us. Probably a no but has anyone got any tips on managing a team so low down the pecking order? We're semi-pro and at some point would like to turn pro. We're 2nd in a league with 12 teams and looking decent. The Danish 2nd tier is an interesting one as you get rewarded financially on your position at the end of each quarter. You also play every team 3 times in this league. Highly recommend this sort of challenge if you feel like something different. Essad Morina who is a 19 year old Albanian freebie has lit this league up.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
What's the best way to scout regens on this? Used to be I could just send a scout to a nation after their regen date, but I'm not coming away with any new reports this year?

anant

What's the best way to scout regens on this? Used to be I could just send a scout to a nation after their regen date, but I'm not coming away with any new reports this year?
Scout all kids that clubs of main countries have taken by going to youth intake tab. Happens in March for major European nations.

altodevil

Scout all kids that clubs of main countries have taken by going to youth intake tab. Happens in March for major European nations.
Youth intake tab? Cheers will have a look.

Lay

CL Semi final against Barcelona.. Neymar, Messi, Iniesta, Alba all out injured along with their goalkeeper Asenjo, their only back up goalkeeper is Ortola who wasn't registered so they have to play some young kid with terrible stats. Selected shoot on sight, won 4-0 :)

They sold Ter Stegan to Juventus, and the dutch goalkeeper to Everton. Not sure why they signed an injury prone Asenjo, he's missed half their games.

The Stain

Won the league and beat Juve 5-0 in the cup final with Milan in the first season. I'll start over with a weaker side..

paulscholes18

In 4 games in a row I've picked up quite big injuries
Mkhitaryan 3-4 months
Kuki 3-4 months
Valencia 2-3 months
Martial 6-7 weeks

1st season I have won 6/6 league games with Rashford scoring 8 league goals (11 in 10 in all comps)

1st 11 (Valencia at RWB when fit)
DDG
Bailly Tuanzebe Rojo
Lingard TFM Shaw
Herrera Pogba
Zlatan Rashford

Bench
Romero
Angel Gomes
Callum Gribbin
Fellaini
Smalling
Blind
Darmian

paulscholes18

What's the point of the Scoial media
Anthony Martial was my player of the match, a good performance on a day nobody stood out

Martial was good, but only in comparison to the rest of the team

The match was Man Utd 4-0 Chelsea Tony Martial scored 1 and got 2 assists
Not even the caf would be that negative

Meller

Had a bit of an injury crisis in January (2018), with Zlatan, Martial and Rashford injured. Wilson was out on loan so my only striker was a decent 16 year old regen who is not even close to being starter material. Noticed that RvP was transfer listed and that Fenerbahce had set an asking price of £95k, so I decided to splurge. Tied him up to a 6 month contract as a backup, and he scored 2 penalties in his glorious return. The fans were a bit conflicted however, as the fan reaction bar was at about 25% when I signed him, but they also stated that fans were very happy that we'd signed a fan favourite.

The only downfall is that if he plays more than 5 games in the league he gets an automatic extension for a year, and I don't want to keep him for that long! Martial is already back however and Rashford is out for maybe 2 more games so I should be fine.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Had a bit of an injury crisis in January (2018), with Zlatan, Martial and Rashford injured. Wilson was out on loan so my only striker was a decent 16 year old regen who is not even close to being starter material. Noticed that RvP was transfer listed and that Fenerbahce had set an asking price of £95k, so I decided to splurge. Tied him up to a 6 month contract as a backup, and he scored 2 penalties in his glorious return. The fans were a bit conflicted however, as the fan reaction bar was at about 25% when I signed him, but they also stated that fans were very happy that we'd signed a fan favourite.

The only downfall is that if he plays more than 5 games in the league he gets an automatic extension for a year, and I don't want to keep him for that long! Martial is already back however and Rashford is out for maybe 2 more games so I should be fine.
How much are his wages? He might be worth keeping for the tutoring of wonderkids?

Flying_Heckfish

So my flatmate and I took the plunge and got this. We started unemployed with little experience and a lot of leagues loaded. Fremad Amarger (Danish 2nd tier) took a punt on us. Probably a no but has anyone got any tips on managing a team so low down the pecking order? We're semi-pro and at some point would like to turn pro. We're 2nd in a league with 12 teams and looking decent. The Danish 2nd tier is an interesting one as you get rewarded financially on your position at the end of each quarter. You also play every team 3 times in this league. Highly recommend this sort of challenge if you feel like something different. Essad Morina who is a 19 year old Albanian freebie has lit this league up.
I once did a Russian save on an old FM, not the premier league. The transfer/squad rules are intense.

Best thing I could do was get 11 non-injury prone players in the team and make sure they were strong & fit. Don't try too many fancy tactical instructions, especially at first, as the player intelligence/adaptability just won't be there.

Flying_Heckfish

Is there anywhere one can acquire this for free?
There was a free weekend a while a go on steam. This is the first year I haven't bought it (fed up of bugs) but I gave it a try then.

It's not available for free as far as I can see.. but I didn't think it worth £30 so I'm waiting until next year now.

Meller

How much are his wages? He might be worth keeping for the tutoring of wonderkids?
£80k, the problem with keeping him (and FM in general) is that he'll most likely complain about lack of game time and annoy the hell out of me if I keep him for another season.

paulscholes18

In January 2nd season, 1st season I won the league, FA Cup and EL (funny enough I beat Ajax 6-2 in the final) with Rashford scoring 36 goals in all comps, Zlatan called it a day he is now a coach at the club, try and only sign players in these 4 categories
A Home grown
B U18
C Transfer listed
D Less then a year left

1st season signings (price only if above 10m)
Kuki
Sessegnon (Fulham)
Keane 20.5m
Vazquez 13m (trained as a RWB)

Out
Young
Rooney (still paying the prick 110k a week)
Mata 16.25m
Valencia

2nd season
Krychowiak 10.5m (No wonder why PSG wanted rid, already has 3 red cards, also picked up 1 red card came back from suspension got a red card on his return game V Chelsea )
Dembele (Celtic)
Ben Gibson
Dahoud 14m
Upamecano 17.5m
Pulisic 31m
De Ligt (loaned to Wolfsburg for the season)
Diego Costa 35m
Alex Isak (loaned to Newcastle for the season)
Danny Loader
Josh Tymon
Evan Graham (Regan)
Bernat 18.75m (January signing)

Out
Jones 24.5m
Smalling 23m (injured and back on transfer list :lol:)
Blind 27m
Fellaini
Darmian (part ex for Bernat just wanted rid)
Rojo 15m
Joel Pereira
1st 11
DDG
Bailly Tuanzebe Keane
Vazquez TFM Bernat
Herrera (c) Pogba
Martial Rashford

2nd 11
Romero
Gibson CBJ Upamecano
Lingard Krychowiak Shaw
Gribbin (going to be world class) Pulisic
Costa Dembele

Other 1st team players
Mkhitaryan
Gomes
Bastian

The Stain

Really enjoying my save with Málaga. Only half a season in but i'm doing well considering i didn't have a budget to work with. Didn't mind that because they have a bunch of young talented players and some wonderkids that aren't quite ready for the first team.

From the starting squad i'm building the team around Fornals, Juanpi & Ontiveros. Kuki, En Nesyri, Álex Robles & Luis Muñoz aren't quite ready but they're either involved with the first team or loaned out this season. Ignacio Camacho is a beast and Sandro is decent but they're my highest valued players so i'll need to sell both in the summer to fund the re-build. Wanted to do it in January but teams aren't bidding for them, and some others, despite heavy interest. Managed to sell off some dross to fund Predrag Rajkovic & Ascacibar. Lassana Diarra & Simão (DM but using him as DC) came on free transfer.

In the January window; Toni Lato was finally interested and he came cheap as he was on a youth contract. Looks a beast in the making. The Bosman signings for next season: Charlie Taylor (might loan him out if there's interest as i didn't expect to sign Lato), Ryan Bennett (backup), Bruno Zuculini (rotation), Federico Ricci (backup), Luzayadio Bangu (talent, loan out). Diego Llorente, who we currently have on loan, rejected our attempt to sign him (Bosman), despite offering 25k more/week more than Madrid, in favour of sitting on their bench.. What a cnut.. He would have been perfect.

Spent way too long on testing my tactics so i'm happy with them now. Couldn't get my IF's to play the way i want them to so for the first time ever i decided to try strikerless. Sweeper keeper, two DC's (one def, one cover), 2 WB's, Anchor, 2 BWM's and either 3 AM's or SS's depending on if we're playing H or A. Counter-pressing which consistently brings 60-70% possession. We're so crowded centrally that we win a lot of second balls. Almost always creating more chances than opposition (even away to Barca). Racking up them CCC's.

Started well with 7 straight wins. The tactics i made for Milan weren't working so well at home so had to tweak it to make one tactic for home games (well two, one a little more defensive) but the Milan tactics work fine away. Morale went down a lot after losing away to Atletico and Barca. Conceded literally in the last second of this last game against Real. Bollocks.

Kameni just went to the African Nations..

0-0 away to Eibar. Top 5 most frustrating games ever and i've played this game a looong time.

altodevil

Is the online fantasy draft for this any good? If so would others be up for a game of it?

Woodzy

Just fired up a game of this. Used the Brazil league trick to start at second season with some data updates to get all latest transfers. League positions are all entirely random etc, in which United won the league and Chelsea finished 5th.

Anyway, I managed to unsettle both Kante and Hazard at Chelsea to the point which they were transfer listed. Problem was, i had already signed Keane, Pickford, William Carvalho and Ousmane Dembele, then got the board to bring in Griezmann, so have absolutely nothing left.

I decide I want one of them so transfer list a few players with no interest. Things look bleak, but then I go and transfer list Mata as I don't really want him long term and could probably have gotten about £40m. Anyway, Chelsea only went and accepted a straight swap between Mata and Hazard! No money to be exchanged at all. Lovely stuff (although I probably need Kante more).