Gaming Football Manager 2020 (PC, Mac, Switch, Android, iOS, Stadia)

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
And so it begins...

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Sweet. Hopefully some decent new features.

Would be nice to give us the ability to streamline boring shit like press conferences and not have to get a reputation as a media shy manager. Or at least update the questions.

PieCrust

Always find it weird that they expect people to pre-order without releasing what the changes / updates are. 10% off isn't enough to convince me to blindly purchase something while withholding the information that I need.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Always find it weird that they expect people to pre-order without releasing what the changes / updates are. 10% off isn't enough to convince me to blindly purchase something while withholding the information that I need.
Yeah. I usually always just play until January as by that time the code sites usually have the game at around £15-20 and decent updates have been added to it.

FM 19 is a good version of the game too so I’m not desperate for this release.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I can't wait for clubs to offer me 10m for Pogba whilst demanding 200m for their 17 year old youth team player.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I haven’t invested in one since FM12. Got too complex and focused on tactics.

What’s made you break the duct?
I got the FM19 mobile game for free (which is a very simplified version of the FM experience) and I got the bug back through that.

Also I'm on the train to London for work a lot more so this will be a great way to pass those hours.

DoomSlayer

I used to love playing FM years ago, but I can't be bothered anymore to constantly look for new patches or updates, finding all the mods for team kits, logos, names, having player pics and everything else possible.

It used to be such a drag to put all of this together and make the game playable, I'd rather they bring back Fifa Manager as at least it had the licenses sorted out and thus you could play it more casually.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
No and no for me. FM only gets good after the final major patch around March of the following year.

FM19's engine has far too many issues but i still have to play it much more so the investment was worthwhile.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
They definitely need to fix the match engine. Basically all goals in FM19 come from crosses.

Massive Spanner

They definitely need to fix the match engine. Basically all goals in FM19 come from crosses.
the worst for me is always "that was wonderful from XX, it deserved a goal at the end of it" after they blast the ball miles wide after hitting it from way outside the box. I swear it happened around 50 fecking times a game, and always to my team.

also i love how whenever they add some pointless new shitty little gameplay element they milk it for all it's worth, like goal line tech and seemingly every single game having to have at least one disallowed goal where they can show it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
the worst for me is always "that was wonderful from XX, it deserved a goal at the end of it" after they blast the ball miles wide after hitting it from way outside the box. I swear it happened around 50 fecking times a game, and always to my team.

also i love how whenever they add some pointless new shitty little gameplay element they milk it for all it's worth, like goal line tech and seemingly every single game having to have at least one disallowed goal where they can show it.
You can also tell when there's going to be a goal just by the highlight.

Player going a mazy run? He will shoot high and wide at the end of it.

Player through on goal with an easy pass across for a tap-in? He will shoot near post and the shot will be saved.

RB has the ball quite deep but is crossing? Left winger will thump it in at the back post.

Massive Spanner

You can also tell when there's going to be a goal just by the highlight.

Player going a mazy run? He will shoot high and wide at the end of it.

Player through on goal with an easy pass across for a tap-in? He will shoot near post and the shot will be saved.

RB has the ball quite deep but is crossing? Left winger will thump it in at the back post.
yeah or when the opposition will score, which is usually after a really, really long clip of your team with the ball of ages and then they steal it off your player, lob it down the pitch and some useless cnut smashe a worldie past your amazing GK.

Actually, pretty realistic.

Art Vandelay

The amount of times it cuts and zooms in to show you that the goal that wasn't given didn't go in is ridiculous. I never once saw a goal that had crossed the line not given, I mean that's what hawkeye is for. Why bother dragging the match out further to confirm what you know is confirmed because the goal wasn't given.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Just remembered one thing that they need to fix. The 2022/2023 season. The World Cup completely fecks the fixture list and you have games every 2 days.

PieCrust

Yeah. I usually always just play until January as by that time the code sites usually have the game at around £15-20 and decent updates have been added to it.

FM 19 is a good version of the game too so I’m not desperate for this release.
Yeah, I typically don't ever pay full price for games any more and I never pre-order anything. I haven't bought since FM16, but I'm interested in updating and found it really annoying that the game is up for pre-order, but they haven't released the updates/changes yet. I could troll through past year's updates, but I can't be bothered really. I'll just wait until this version hits a sale on steam then check it out I suppose.

I used to love playing FM years ago, but I can't be bothered anymore to constantly look for new patches or updates, finding all the mods for team kits, logos, names, having player pics and everything else possible.

It used to be such a drag to put all of this together and make the game playable, I'd rather they bring back Fifa Manager as at least it had the licenses sorted out and thus you could play it more casually.
I always find this annoying too. For the most part you can use the older packs you've downloaded previously. I usually play as some scrub manager is a scrub league so things like the face packs don't matter as much to me but I find it almost unbearable to play without the club crests and competition logos. Sounds dumb, but makes a huge difference in my immersion and enjoyment.

Minkaro

Remove player interactions and I'll get this years. Going through the motions with the weirdos gets tedious.
It's safer to just not, I think.

"Well done on winning Player of the Month, I think you've done really well"
"I disagree, I don't think I've played that well at all."
"Oh, OK, sorry"
"No, it's too late now, you've broken my heart. If you don't transfer me I'm chaining myself to the goalposts and going on hunger strike"

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It will probably completely feck up the fixture list in real life as well!
Probably, but in some saves it messes it up so badly that it rolls over to other seasons.

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
If they some how allowed you to play online on android. I could see it being the best game ever to hit the market.

19 was great, the only way forward is to improve the match engine and 3D models.

I also remember an early championship manager game when there was actual audio commentary. That would be great.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Never found a way to do this so assuming it's not in, but contract extensions for staff (not players), they really need a way to skip all of that, have it done by the DoF or whatever else so I dont have to go 1 by 1 and offer them all whatever to keep them.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Never found a way to do this so assuming it's not in, but contract extensions for staff (not players), they really need a way to skip all of that, have it done by the DoF or whatever else so I dont have to go 1 by 1 and offer them all whatever to keep them.
Yep hate that usually. I swear I set it to an AI staff to do but then he usually only renews like two of them and the rest he’s happy to let go so I end up still having to do all the staff contracts.

Art Vandelay

It's safer to just not, I think.

"Well done on winning Player of the Month, I think you've done really well"
"I disagree, I don't think I've played that well at all."
"Oh, OK, sorry"
"No, it's too late now, you've broken my heart. If you don't transfer me I'm chaining myself to the goalposts and going on hunger strike"
:lol: Yeah it adds nothing to the game and needs either fixed or replaced. Talking to your own players is like a scene from The Exorcist most of the time.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Formations for when you're in possession and for when you're defending, please

EvilChuck

Probably going to get this for my football game fix this year, because feck fifa.

I will need a new laptop though, any recommendations, up to about 400 quid. Will only use it for FM, spotify, and work (which is all done online) and maybe a bit of streaming (netflix, prime, twitch)

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Last time I played I won the treble and then Pogba asked to leave. I denied it because we'd just won the treble so feck him. This made every single player annoyed, so I closed my laptop and never opened FM again.

Hopefully they've fixed Pogba being a dick.

wr8_utd

:'(
Last time I played I won the treble and then Pogba asked to leave. I denied it because we'd just won the treble so feck him. This made every single player annoyed, so I closed my laptop and never opened FM again.

Hopefully they've fixed Pogba being a dick.
Buy FM 2021 when he's at Madrid.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Been the same for a few versions I believe? Set instructions to “hit early crosses” and that’s the only way you’ll score.

I’m still annoyed they took out interacting with any manager in the world. I used to enjoy winding up managers in other leagues for no reason whatsoever.

Chipper

Adulterer.
What has been the best one in recent years? I'm still playing 2015, own them all from 09-19 on Steam and there are some I haven't touched yet.

Played 09, 10, 14 and 15.

I kind of cheat anyway, in that I look on forums for what are generally perceived to be the best tactics and download them rather then create my own. Then I use genie scout to find players, I'm a big fan of role rating rather than CA/PA on there. So I guess I'm looking for best interface/no bugs, glitches or anything that breaks the game with stupid things happening rather than the best challenge etc.

roseguy64

Formations for when you're in possession and for when you're defending, please
Everything I've seen from them says they'll not be bringing that back ever. Would need new leadership at the company for that to happen.

roseguy64

Skipped FM 19 as my FM18 save was still good. Will likely buy this for a better discount come the Steam Winter sale.

0le

I got the FM19 mobile game for free (which is a very simplified version of the FM experience) and I got the bug back through that.

Also I'm on the train to London for work a lot more so this will be a great way to pass those hours.
How did you get it for free? I am in a similar position, found tactics overwhelming and stopped at FM 2015

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
How did you get it for free? I am in a similar position, found tactics overwhelming and stopped at FM 2015
I mean technically it wasn't free - I got a free £5 voucher for PlayStore with my mobile network (3 Mobile) - and at that time FM2019 was down to £5, and as I never buy anything on the PlayStore, I figured i might as well use it on that.

As I said, if you want simple it's a good game to have on your phone.... it's a really stripped back version of FM.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It's best waiting for January. It's normally £40 upon release and drops to £20-25 by Jan. The game is normally riddled with bugs til about February anyway.

What has been the best one in recent years? I'm still playing 2015, own them all from 09-19 on Steam and there are some I haven't touched yet.

Played 09, 10, 14 and 15.

I kind of cheat anyway, in that I look on forums for what are generally perceived to be the best tactics and download them rather then create my own. Then I use genie scout to find players, I'm a big fan of role rating rather than CA/PA on there. So I guess I'm looking for best interface/no bugs, glitches or anything that breaks the game with stupid things happening rather than the best challenge etc.
Doesn't that kind of ruin it? You're using another mans tactics while signing players you know for a fact are the best for your team. You're almost guaranteed to absolutely dominate, which is kinda boring imo.

The best one for me was 2012. I got 15 years into the future on that one. Started with Wolfsburg, then moved on to Bayern, then took over at United about 10 years in. I'd still be playing it now but file corrupted. 2015 was also really good.

Last edited: