Gaming Football Manager 2020 (PC, Mac, Switch, Android, iOS, Stadia)

Njord

Some recurring events across multiple games, with different teams, players and tactics:

- 20+ shots on goal insider the box, but only 1-2 clear cut chances created. Individual and team tactics says shoot less, work the ball into the box. Games generally ends with small victories, but sometimes it's 0-0, or I lose 1-0, where the opponent has one shot on goal (and not even from a counter attack, but from a long shot, free kick etc.)

- Majority of goals scored and conceded from set pieces. I can get ridicolous assist stats from my regular set piece taker.

- Extra-time goals that don't get a replay. I watch games with only commentary, but I with replay of goals. I often think I've won a match, only to see afterwards that the opposition equalized. I was once up 2-0 and I thought that was the end result, only to see that the opposition scored after 90+3 and 90+5. Happened so fast, I couldn't see it before the post match screen.

These things make the game more annoying than fun.

NoLogo

That’s really unusual though. Never seen anything like that in all my time playing FM.
I feel like Manager rotation has gotten a bit better this version but in FM19 I had games where Man City sacked Guardiola after being second, Pep then got the job at Liverpool, who had lost Klopp to Real Madrid, where he was sacked after only 3/4 of the season. At the end of that Season Pep join Milan for whatever reason and Klopp went to Bayern, where he was again sacked after not even a full season and had been unemployed for a year until Tottenham picked him up, while Pep became new manager at Real only a after getting hired by Milan... And they weren't the only high profile managers who did a merry go around trip from club to club.

Now it looks like the transfers are fecked though. City have 1 fullback in their squad. Tottenham haven't bought a striker since Kane left but instead prefer to play Dele there, who is quite frankly shit as a striker and only scored like 12 goals last season, they finished in league midfield for two seasons now.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Spurs sacked Poch a year after he won the league (they were 5th in March) and still in the CL. He must’ve really dented his profile because he managed Burnley after where he was sacked and is currently at Palermo who are terrible in Serie A.

Managers get harshly treated if sacked.

Last edited:

sebsheep

Think I'm pretty much done with all my signings this summer (kinda ran out of money). First year I've spent more the brought it, depending on if I can shift 2 players we no longer need. Still bought in mainly free players. Might be a couple of more recognisable players this time.

Luca Valanzia and Dimitris Nikolauo - free from Atalanta
Viktor Rogan - 500k from Cukaricki
Iljia Babic - 1.5m (1.9m) from Red Star
Sokratis - free from Celtic. He's old and can no longer run though :lol:

The biggest signing has to be my new director of football though, a true Greek legend. Nikos Dabizas!

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I feel like Manager rotation has gotten a bit better this version but in FM19 I had games where Man City sacked Guardiola after being second, Pep then got the job at Liverpool, who had lost Klopp to Real Madrid, where he was sacked after only 3/4 of the season. At the end of that Season Pep join Milan for whatever reason and Klopp went to Bayern, where he was again sacked after not even a full season and had been unemployed for a year until Tottenham picked him up, while Pep became new manager at Real only a after getting hired by Milan... And they weren't the only high profile managers who did a merry go around trip from club to club.

Now it looks like the transfers are fecked though. City have 1 fullback in their squad. Tottenham haven't bought a striker since Kane left but instead prefer to play Dele there, who is quite frankly shit as a striker and only scored like 12 goals last season, they finished in league midfield for two seasons now.
Not the same as Manchester United randomly hiring Tony Mowbray.

RedMist99

Spurs have been chewing up and spitting out the worlds elite managers. Poch, Klopp, Pep, Mancini, Nagelsmann, Jorge Jesus and a host of caretaker managers in the last 3 years. Not a trophy in sight and currently 16th in the Prem

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Spurs have been chewing up and spitting out the worlds elite managers. Poch, Klopp, Pep, Mancini, Nagelsmann, Jorge Jesus and a host of caretaker managers in the last 3 years. Not a trophy in sight and currently 16th in the Prem

Same in mine. They also sold Kane and Alli to City in the same window in mine for like £100m combined :lol:

NoLogo

So half a season into season 4 and we are pretty much blowing everything out of the water, the switch to the 442 and buying Mbappé definitely payed of.

The only draw was against Liverpool at home, which was such an infuriating game. Apart from that we pretty much smashed everyone, which isn't so surprising with the team I have right now. I'm pretty amazed that Liverpool can actually keep up with our pace but they also have a pretty good squad, so maybe not completely surprising.

I think I'm at the point where I'm only going to buy youngsters and trying to get as much next generation talent into the squad.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I love how simplistic the algorithm is for the social feed, particularly the fan tweets. I just played a game lining up against a former player, and a fan tweets this:

"I wonder if he'll celebrate if he scores?"

The former player is their reserve goalkeeper.

sebsheep

He's doing alright:

Decent start. He's also fecked Alexis off to LA Galaxy for a good fee, and he managed to get another club to pay actual cash money for Phil Jones.

BUILD THE STATUE.
The Fred fee aside that's actually a pretty decent set of outgoing transfers. Who did he bring in?

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The Fred fee aside that's actually a pretty decent set of outgoing transfers. Who did he bring in?
Tolisso for quite a big fee, Cavani for free and LB and CM I've never heard of for £15m-ish each. Looks like Greenwood is keeping Cavani on the bench though.

I got the Bayern job on my save, but it's a bit boring already. Even with a fair depleted squad, it's been pretty easy. The only reason I haven't quit and started over is to oversee Mowbray-watch.

G'wan Mowbzy

NoLogo

Liverpool keep stacking on attacking players, they are now in offer for Ansu Fati for €144M.

Which means they have Kane, Dybala, L. Martinez, Joao Felix, Salah and Ansu Fati. :lol:

I'm in the January transfer window and already got rid of Angel Gomes. Had him loaned out for quite a while and tried to fit him into the squad but there just wasn't any position I could give him enough playing time at, so I let him go to Dortmund who after some negation agreed to pay €40M for him, not the best deal, but he had only 1 1/2 contract remaining and no one else was bidding, so I agreed to the deal.

I'm afraid Chong will be the next to go, he has been amazing every time I played him this season, my best rated player actually, which is also down to him mainly playing against smaller teams. He wants more playing time and won't extend his contract for anything reasonable, his demand is at 375k pw atm and he simply isn't that great of a player, at least when it comes to his attributes but his agents seems to be a greedy fecker. So yeah maybe it's time to ship him off as well, but so far actually no one is interested.

Btw those are Chong's attributes at the age of 24 now.

Nothing outrageous tbh but I have to admit on the pitch he has always performed far better to what I would have expected a player with these attributes to deliver.

Last edited:

sebsheep

Tolisso for quite a big fee, Cavani for free and LB and CM I've never heard of for £15m-ish each. Looks like Greenwood is keeping Cavani on the bench though.

I got the Bayern job on my save, but it's a bit boring already. Even with a fair depleted squad, it's been pretty easy. The only reason I haven't quit and started over is to oversee Mowbray-watch.

G'wan Mowbzy
I really believe he's about to usher in a new era of domination. You could probably just resign and sim a year or 2 into the future before you quit the save if you wanted to know how it goes for him.

sebsheep

Just had an opposition player feign injury to waste time. First time I've seen that. :lol:

Nickosaur

Liverpool keep stacking on attacking players, they are now in offer for Ansu Fati for €144M.

Which means they have Kane, Dybala, L. Martinez, Joao Felix, Salah and Ansu Fati. :lol:

I'm in the January transfer window and already got rid of Angel Gomes. Had him loaned out for quite a while and tried to fit him into the squad but there just wasn't any position I could give him enough playing time at, so I let him go to Dortmund who after some negation agreed to pay €40M for him, not the best deal, but he had only 1 1/2 contract remaining and no one else was bidding, so I agreed to the deal.

I'm afraid Chong will be the next to go, he has been amazing every time I played him this season, my best rated player actually, which is also down to him mainly playing against smaller teams. He wants more playing time and won't extend his contract for anything reasonable, his demand is at 375k pw atm and he simply isn't that great of a player, at least when it comes to his attributes but his agents seems to be a greedy fecker. So yeah maybe it's time to ship him off as well, but so far actually no one is interested.

Btw those are Chong's attributes at the age of 24 now.

Nothing outrageous tbh but I have to admit on the pitch he has always performed far better to what I would have expected a player with these attributes to deliver.
Wow, never would have expected Chong to be that good in this game. I think I've read you play him on the right? As an IF?

Have you tried asking him to sack his agent? It worked once for me when I was managing Brighton. I had a very talented regen who had 3 years left on a contract worth 80k p/w. He started demanding a new contract and wanting £220k p/w. Next time he demanded a contract, I asked him to sack his agent, which he did, and with his new agent I was able to negotiate a new contract worth £160k p/w.

NoLogo

Wow, never would have expected Chong to be that good in this game. I think I've read you play him on the right? As an IF?

Have you tried asking him to sack his agent? It worked once for me when I was managing Brighton. I had a very talented regen who had 3 years left on a contract worth 80k p/w. He started demanding a new contract and wanting £220k p/w. Next time he demanded a contract, I asked him to sack his agent, which he did, and with his new agent I was able to negotiate a new contract worth £160k p/w.
Yeah, I play him exclusively on the right. Started out in the AMR position but is now playing just as well in the MR position.

True, maybe it's mainly his agent wanting such stupidly high wages for his client but there is something else curious, my coaches actually rate him as a 5-star player but I looked up his PA & CA value and it's at 158/157 right now. So no way he could be considered a 5-star player in a team that contains players like Mbappé. Maybe he is bugged and plays like a player with much better attributes? :lol:

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
:lol: Lost 1-0 to AEK Athens in the Greek Cup final..... 30 yarder
Into the Euro Cup II again next year, board have just given me nearly €2.6m to spend and increased the wage budget from €80k to €125k a week. Big summer needed.
This sounds like a great save though! It will be fantastic when you do win something after all this progress.

Maluco

I have to admit, I was put off a bit with all the talk of training.

The game already absorbs so much time. Reading about training and realising that my players aren’t really pushing on is annoying.

I don’t want to have to set up training every week, but at the same time, am worried about just lumping it on the Assistant and it being next to worthless with progressing players stats.

What are you guys currently doing with training?

I really just want to give it to my assistant but feel like I won’t be getting the most out of the game if I do.

Berbaclass

The game already absorbs so much time. Reading about training and realising that my players aren’t really pushing on is annoying.

I don’t want to have to set up training every week, but at the same time, am worried about just lumping it on the Assistant and it being next to worthless with progressing players stats.

I really just want to give it to my assistant but feel like I won’t be getting the most out of the game if I do.
I leave to bulk to my assistant and modify where I see fit when I want to focus on certain things.

I have my own schedules and stuff but I think the assistant does a good enough job.

Maluco

I leave to bulk to my assistant and modify where I see fit when I want to focus on certain things.

I have my own schedules and stuff but I think the assistant does a good enough job.
I just want to play the game, but I would be lying if I said that if I knew I could be getting far better results by going through all the training myself, it would annoy me. I am funny that way.

At the same time, getting too involved and having too many things to do really does spoil the enjoyment.

If I have a good assistant in charge of training, you shouldn’t be getting penalized for that in terms of player growth, especially when their stats are better than mine!!

Last edited:

Berbaclass

I just want to play the game, but I would be lying if I said that if I knew I could be getting far better results by going through all the training myself, it wouldn’t annoy me. I am funny that way.

At the same time, getting too involved and having too many things to do really does spoil the enjoyment.

If I have a good assistant in charge of training, you shouldn’t be getting penalized for that in terms of player growth, especially when their stats are better than mine!!
Also my view really.

I spend a lot of time considering my staff so I agree it should be beneficial to player development if you have a great team.

Stevondo8

Let me know how you get on with this. Approaching Christmas in my third season and I'm thinking of bringing him in, more as a mentor than anything else.
I’m only part-way through pre-season so far but after 3 appearances against monaco, atletico and Bayern I’m yet to have a game where he hasn’t scored or got an assist. Finding the best role for him in my squad is my main issue. Ridiculous wages too (600k per week I think). I only signed him for the fun of it, rather than any sound strategy.

diarm

I’m only part-way through pre-season so far but after 3 appearances against monaco, atletico and Bayern I’m yet to have a game where he hasn’t scored or got an assist. Finding the best role for him in my squad is my main issue. Ridiculous wages too (600k per week I think). I only signed him for the fun of it, rather than any sound strategy.
I signed him in January. Cost me 7mil and 500k in wages but he hit the ground running - 4 goals and 4 assists in his first 4 games until filthy Spurs butchered him and he's out for 3 months.

sebsheep

My assistant does it for me, I used to do it years ago but haven't for the last couple of versions. It seems to work well enough, only possible issue is that I only recruit my staff through job adverts so probably don't have the best available. They just made it a bit too much to keep up with for me. You can get downloads for optimal training routines I think, no idea if they work as I don't use that stuff.

Maluco

My assistant does it for me, I used to do it years ago but haven't for the last couple of versions. It seems to work well enough, only possible issue is that I only recruit my staff through job adverts so probably don't have the best available. They just made it a bit too much to keep up with for me. You can get downloads for optimal training routines I think, no idea if they work as I don't use that stuff.
It just seems so easy to make mistakes and cause injuries or make players unhappy.

At the same time, it is annoying that players don’t grow as they should even with a great assistant and optimal staff.

sebsheep

It just seems so easy to make mistakes and cause injuries or make players unhappy.

At the same time, it is annoying that players don’t grow as they should even with a great assistant and optimal staff.
You could try leaving the general to staff and taking control of individual training to see if that helps.
It's nice that they've finally figured out that people might want to just take control of one player's individual training rather than suddenly being lumped with the whole squad.

Maluco

You could try leaving the general to staff and taking control of individual training to see if that helps.
It's nice that they've finally figured out that people might want to just take control of one player's individual training rather than suddenly being lumped with the whole squad.
Yeah, I think I will get back into it tonight and just change a few individual things and let my assistant do the majority.

It’s daunting and puts me off playing when there is too much to do to be honest.

sebsheep

This sounds like a great save though! It will be fantastic when you do win something after all this progress.

Just over half way through the 1st stage of this season and we're unbeaten in the league so far. The difficulty is that there are 3 top teams in Greece and then Panathinaikos, who have dropped off but are still pretty big. If you do well and get into the top 6 groups, you then have to play them all twice again. :nervous:
Transfer money and wage budget wise I'm still way off the top 3, so it'll be interesting to see how we progress in the next few years. Olympiakos signed Marco Reus this last summer, he's old as hell but still top quality.

Small note of sympathy to Dinamo Tbilisi, they got destroyed in our Euro Cup II group.

Maluco

It will mean so much more when you go finally win something though! Europa Conference League is one I want to be in, so hoping my new save will give me some experience there too.

Any other older legends coming in to help out?

sebsheep

It will mean so much more when you go finally win something though! Europa Conference League is one I want to be in, so hoping my new save will give me some experience there too.

Any other older legends coming in to help out?
Don't underrate my Greek Cup win! :lol:

The only older player I could get in this season was current Arsenal defender Sokratis, who could be considered a legend in the eyebrow community.

Maluco

Don't underrate my Greek Cup win! :lol:

The only older player I could get in this season was current Arsenal defender Sokratis, who could be considered a legend in the eyebrow community.
I didn’t realize you had won the Cup already! Sokratis is a good one, a Greek who has done well for himself in the game coming home!

I suppose the other out of contact Prem players want stupid wages compared to what you can give?

Have you found anyone that is being released in either u18 or u23 teams? Have found some very useful players set for release there before.

Or are you just relying on your scouts?

Ludens the Red

He's doing alright:

Decent start. He's also fecked Alexis off to LA Galaxy for a good fee, and he managed to get another club to pay actual cash money for Phil Jones.

BUILD THE STATUE.
fecking hate Liverpool in this game. Every previous FM it was rare to see a team get over 90 points. In every single fecking year of my save Liverpool hit 90 plus points and stock pile all the best attackers.

sebsheep

I didn’t realize you had won the Cup already! Sokratis is a good one, a Greek who has done well for himself in the game coming home!

I suppose the other out of contact Prem players want stupid wages compared to what you can give?

Have you found anyone that is being released in either u18 or u23 teams? Have found some very useful players set for release there before.

Or are you just relying on your scouts?
I pretty much just rely on scouts yeah, agents sometimes push players onto my radar as well. Sokratis came from Celtic and I haven't seen any big premier league players pop up yet. Did have a good U23 from City show up on a free in the summer, but AEK Athens nabbed him for less money than I offered. Got 2 very good players from Atalanta this summer as well. I think the bigger wage budget and a slight growth in reputation has helped in opening up my options.
The best player I have signed on a free was a player from a Greek 2nd division club I signed to back up Eduardo after my 1st season, he's now my top scorer this season and attracting €5-6million offers from the Chinese league.

NoLogo

So after my 1-1 at Old Trafford I actually beat Pool at Anfield 3-1. I actually got 2 penalties at their ground which is pretty sensational. First van Dijk flattened Greenwood in the penalty area and only 3 minutes later Dybala played the ball with his hand during a corner, which is a penalty that I have probably only seen once before in the game. Eduardo Camavinga got the 3 goal after only corner in the 23rd minute of the game and we probably should have scored at least another goal before half time, but yeah it was really satisfying to give them a beating at their own ground, at least in the first half. Second half was way more evenly matched and I got a bit worried as the second half started with an Brandon Williams own goal after a corner from Liverpool in the 46. minute, I was fearing a bit of a comeback but despite some fairly good chances on both ends no one scored anymore and I went home with a 3-1 in the bag and probably another PL titled sealed, since I'm now 13 points ahead after 27 games.

Last edited: