g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Gaming Football Manager 2024

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I promised myself I wouldn’t look at the table over next 4 games and we won them all….only to disappointingly see that Sporting were still only 3 points behind with 2 games left. Better head to head and goal difference, so we need 4 points from Benfica (H) and Braga (A). We then have a second cup final against Porto

I pump the players up and we absolutely destroy Benfica 6-1 in, by far, our best performance of the season. I have no idea how this is happening with the squad we have, but I am rolling with it. One draw and one win away from a domestic triple with Nat Phillips, Josh Cummings and Liam Delap as starters.

It was, that man, Josh Cummings, who nearly cost us it all.

I thought we did enough at Braga , but a complete capitulation, that involved Cummings getting dragged off at half time, meant we lost 4-3, despite Reiner doing his very best with a hat trick and goal of the season to try to drag us through. Total dejection…..until the trophy celebration started.

Sporting had lost 1-0. We had won the league ok the first time of asking. Questions need to be asked about some of the players mentalities, but, they aren’t good enough to have done what they have just done, so it’s hard to be too critical.

One game away from the triple….

…and 2-0 up at half time and cruising. It all looks so good, everyone is playing well….until…..Josh Cummings

He decides to absolutely nosedive in the second half and concedes all 3 of their on target shots, including one in the last minute. We lose 2-3 and Cummings, after one Second Division title, one Liga Nos and one League Cup, is transfer listed and offered to clubs during the full time team talk.

He will leave the club along with all the loanees, Ranocchia, Kuzlayev (who can no longer move), Peter (who Luton want to 15 million!!), Simeone and anyone else I didn’t trust in the league!

It’s Champions League time with a budget of 850k, no team bar loans and a wage budget of 180k a week.

Maybe it’s time to move on…

Chipper

Adulterer.
Half of the teams sound like geriatrics.
Haha! I think teams with that kind of name were initially founded by ex-pupils of certain schools. Mostly old style Grammar schools or posh fee paying schools.

Just gone on holiday for a bit because I'm not really feeling this. Set it to use same tactics.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Had enough of that save already.

Just done some tactic testing with Mallorca on holiday for a year. I usually download tactics and this version has been no different so far but I always like the idea of playing an old school 4-4-2 with a target forward. They've got a good one in the shape of Vedat Muriqi.

You simply can't find downloaded ones with a 4-4-2 and a big lump up front either, it's not the done thing. Everything is about low crosses to advanced forwards so I made my own for this.

Predicted to finish 15th, ended up 12th after they sold Muriqi on the last day of the January window to United after 22 games which wrecked the tactic. They were 6th in the first half of the season table and Muriqi scored 15 in 22 overall so it seems viable.

Will play around with this a bit as the defence was porous but I'm definitely going this way with my next save.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Had enough of that save already.

Just done some tactic testing with Mallorca on holiday for a year. I usually download tactics and this version has been no different so far but I always like the idea of playing an old school 4-4-2 with a target forward. They've got a good one in the shape of Vedat Muriqi.

You simply can't find downloaded ones with a 4-4-2 and a big lump up front either, it's not the done thing. Everything is about low crosses to advanced forwards so I made my own for this.

Predicted to finish 15th, ended up 12th after they sold Muriqi on the last day of the January window to United after 22 games which wrecked the tactic. They were 6th in the first half of the season table and Muriqi scored 15 in 22 overall so it seems viable.

Will play around with this a bit as the defence was porous but I'm definitely going this way with my next save.
It's really hard to start changing to a different tactic on a new save when you find one that works.

I tried my fm23 tactic at the start of the game amd it was good but with a few issues. Changed it a bit and found a tactic that has worked for me at every club and save I've done. I've briefly flirted with a 5 at the back tactic in my St Alban's save but it was shite and I switched to the ol' reliable.

I think I just get bored and hate losing so always go back to the one I found that works well and makes me score a lot of goals. :lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'm a bit stuck in my save currently...nobody will hire me but AIK won't let me take a coaching course. Everytime I try they tell me to stop wasting their time. Just the two league titles and one Swedish cup I've won for you, twats.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'm a bit stuck in my save currently...nobody will hire me but AIK won't let me take a coaching course. Everytime I try they tell me to stop wasting their time. Just the two league titles and one Swedish cup I've won for you, twats.
Might be worth a try to resign. Clubs may not want to pay a compensation fee.

Though I could also ruin your save and you'll end up in some backwater league looking for pennies under the sofa cushions

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Might be worth a try to resign. Clubs may not want to pay a compensation fee.

Though I could also ruin your save and you'll end up in some backwater league looking for pennies under the sofa cushions
My contract expires at the end of this season so I'll probably leave at the end of it. If we can win another title and do alright in the CL I hope that will boost my rep enough.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I'm about to wipe an old laptop in order to download one of these. Laptop is probably 10 years old now, am I going to have to go back to fm13 to get it to run reasonably well

Maluco

I always get into habit of asking for badges right after a player sale so I can try and push it through before money dips back into the red. I have been very fortunate this time in Portugal that I was able to sell enough to get through them.

Chipper

Adulterer.
It's really hard to start changing to a different tactic on a new save when you find one that works.

I tried my fm23 tactic at the start of the game amd it was good but with a few issues. Changed it a bit and found a tactic that has worked for me at every club and save I've done. I've briefly flirted with a 5 at the back tactic in my St Alban's save but it was shite and I switched to the ol' reliable.

I think I just get bored and hate losing so always go back to the one I found that works well and makes me score a lot of goals. :lol:
I know exactly what you mean. Feels like you're handicapping yourself in way, and that you've got to try and forget that you could be battering everyone in sight. Need those neuralyzer things from the Men In Black films where they could wipe your memory. :lol:

I'm normally happy to dominate for season after season but for the first time with this edition I was getting bored relatively early on so we'll see how this goes.

Going to start with a team in the Vanarama North or South with this target man tactic.

Edit: Gone for Aveley. Never heard of them but wanted to pick a team predicted to finish somewhere between 20-24th and I liked their kits best of that lot.

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Got to the last 16 and drew City. Somehow beat them 3-0 in the first leg at home and was delighted.

Lost 5-0 away. Woops. :D 3 titles in a row now. Finally managed to get them to agree to some coaching badges and facility upgrades. Think it's time to move on though and willing to drop down a league to do so. Applied for some relegated clubs - Palermo, Lecce, Havre.

Offered the Havre job and here we go! Finished bottom of Ligue 1 so the task is to bounce back. Should be fun.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Could't seem to get the game to play how I want to in an old school 4-4-2 hitting crosses and long balls to a target man for flick ons. Well at least it never showed up on the highlights, even when I'm specifically telling everyone to hit the target man. It could be that his jumping reach, heading and strength isn't high enough but I think the match engine just doesn't like it. The player I was using should have plenty for the level I'm at.

Ended up plugging in all the instructions from a previous tactic including short passes and low crosses and somehow it works! He's not scoring many headers outside of corners but he's holding up the ball when played into feet and bringing wingers into play before getting into the box. Between him and his strike partner they have lots to feed on. It's still 4-4-2 with a target man so I'll call it a victory of sorts. Classical midfield combo of a ball-winning mid (def) and a box-to-box.

Playing with one orthodox full back plus one inverted wing back to help out in midfield.

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Just had my first invincible season on this version of FM. Won't the league by about 15 points. Back to Ligue 1 it is. Don't think we will have much of a budget so will have to see what we can cook up.

Also, it makes me sad when you leave a team and then you go back to look how they've got on and the AI has destroyed your squad and tactic. :lol:

Dan_F

It's pretty easy managing united.

I won the sextuple last year. Beating city 5-1 in the champs league final.

The board then went on to announce that they are about to break ground on the Eric Cantona Arena new 96288 seater.

Signed some great players

Bhardji
Seiwald
Tchouameni
Guerra
Upamecano
Urbig

Even took Messi on for a season, although he didn't put up big numbers.

Rasmus, Garnacho, and Rashford all smashing it. Shaw had 15 assists last season.
I won the Champions League and FA cup in the first season. Was 2 points behind City with five games to go, but lost 1-0 to them with Shaw being sent off after 20 mins and the winning goal being a pen.

I couldn’t get much from Garnacho on the right frustratingly . He always had good stats but only scored 1 goal and 4 assists despite starting most of the games.

I can’t sell anyone either. I’m assuming it’s because the Saudi League isn’t active on the mobile version, I didn’t check. I’m stuck with the likes of Sancho, Casemiro, Varane, Greenwood even though I don’t really need them. United’s wages are fecking insane.

Overall, I’m not convinced it’s worth putting the time into the mobile version. I just seem to spend my time watching games play out and swapping tired players for fresh players when needed. I might as well download the pc version if I’m going to do it :lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Uh oh... :nervous:

That's pretty incredible if true honestly.

Yeah this has been basically known for a while. I've tried to avoid looking at the details as it'll just ruin the game for me (more than already has been).

Chipper

Adulterer.

Saw a video recently where someone played Van Dijk up front for the season successfully. Makes sense now.

Pace 15, Acceleration 15, Jumping Reach 17, Strength 17, Balance 15, Agility 12, Anticipation 16, Concentration 16, Dribbling 13.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Might run a test of it myself on an underdog PL club. Plenty of money to spend in world terms so you could bring in lots of cheaper players with these attributes. I don't have the editor.

Not surprising in some ways. I'm sure we've all noticed how there aren't many genuinely fast forwards in non-league or the lower divisions for example. If you can find one or an AI team gets one on loan they can cause carnage even if they don't have much else. The physical attributes can go a long way.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Saw someone say it mainly happens when you sim entire seasons as the engine that's used when simming/instant result is different.

I hope it's at the very least, that. But still absolutely terrible from these feckwits as usual.

Lay

Physical attributes are overpowered. I find strikers are almost redundant unless you play them as a pressing forward on attack or advanced forward. Get a physically decent striker and he will score goals galore. Any physical player will score goals even if they're a centre back playing as a striker.

It became more obvious a few editions ago that physical ability is the key and sometimes only component for an outfield player.

Lay

One of the instances I can remember is that I signed a Serie B striker for my Napoli side, at best he would be 4th choice striker but his physicals were better than the rest but mentally and technically lacking

Half a season in and he's my main striker and 4 seasons later is the record goalscorer for Napoli. But due to his low reputation, he still never played for Italy and my assistants constantly told me to drop him.

Maluco

850k and a wage budget of 180k a week. CL football. Top players, Dani, Tanganga, Lyanco (he was shit to be fair), Patino, Moreira and Daka all leaving after loans expired. Squad is down to 13 players…

We did ok on free transfer market. I find you pay more, but it’s the only way to get decent players when you have low rep. Once the deal is up, you get gazumped…as we would find out, so, so many times.

But before July 1st, we managed to get in…

Delap
Jon Guerrero
Robert Sanchez

Rajkovic
Laidouni
(a half decent DMC from Union)
+ a decent right winger from Slavia whose name escapes me.

Up to a squad of about 18, but with 4 goalkeepers.

It seems counter intuitive, but it was time to sell! The only way to do this was going to be to get a budget, bring in paid loans, pay for a few players over next 3 years and grab a couple off the transfer list. All while retaining only 60% of the fee.

So out go…

Borza - 17 million (wonder kid Fb and only player worth enough money to matter that was sellable)
Phillips - 7.75 million (after reject Girona for 11.5!)
Cummings - 4.7 million (GK)
Maher - 1.7 million (sub GK)
Russian CM who could no longer move - 2.3 million
… and a few other negligible youth players

In came…

Doku - loan
Nabi Keita - Free Transfer
Soyuncu - 1.5 + 4.5 + % of next fee
Mandava 2 + 6 + % of next fee

And I totally forgot about CL registration and we have no players so…

Veloso (CM) - loan
Reiva (CB) - 1.7 + 9 + % of next fee
Moreira - (young RB) - 1 + 4.5

Looking much better, but we still didn’t have a CB/LB (depending on where Reiva plays), any natural CF and no natural RW.

4 million and a little leeway with wages and we played the balancing act…

First we loaned in Vuskovic from Spurs, who looks perfect for the covering CB role (that means Reiva will do an Ivanovic as a defensive fullback in a tweaked system, only choice really!)

Toni Martinez will have to come in on a cheap loan for the CF spot, but he looks to have decent attributes where necessary.

With only 2 million in the bank and 5 hours left and getting desperate, we managed to strike gold, with Chelsea desperate to get Madueke a club, we were able to afford the loan fee and complete the squad.

Is it perfect? No way! But it was a crazy puzzle to solve and I think we have done so well…

Sanchez/Rajkovic

Curtis/Moreira
Mandava/Soyuncu
Vuskovic
Reiva

Laidouni
Keita/Veloso

Madueke
Reiner/Guerrero
Doku/

Martinez/Delap

And a registered CL squad of 20 players.

Most players aren’t ours, but I think we can qualify in the CL with the right games. Hopefully, with the cash and rep boost, next year won’t be so loan heavy. But I am proud of that job!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Maidenhead have pushed me all the way in the Vanarama South. I thought I might have to settle for the play-offs at one point but they fell away a bit which allowed me to catch up. Went down to the final game of the season but I just needed a win, which I got.

Also got to the final of the FA Vase at the 5th attempt, but we lost to Halifax.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

So this is correct. Sort of.

Pace, Acceleration, Jumping Reach, Strength, Balance, Agility, Anticipation, Concentration, and Dribbling all set to 20 and everything else doesn't work.

BUT if you have 4 other attributes (Workrate, Stamina, Determination and Natural Fitness) set to 10 then it works as shown in the guys tests. Just confirmed it myself.

I'm now going to do set the 9 attributes to 15 and the other 4 at 10 and see how that does.

Berbaclass

I simmed a season with Burnley (full detail) and this is what happened.

This is what every player looked like (10's in every hidden attribute and also for either foot!)

Chipper

Adulterer.
I simmed a season with Burnley (full detail) and this is what happened.

This is what every player looked like (10's in every hidden attribute and also for either foot!)

That's mental!

What tactics did you use out of interest? Proveable gamebreaking ones or something more normal?

Chipper

Adulterer.
I was unemployed so it was Kompany managing
So it won't be anything too amazing.

Deffo going to do a save where I focus on this, just for shits and giggles. Let's see how it works out in real play vs. simming the matches. Obviously won't be able to find players with 20 in all those stats but will put together the best fit I can.

Berbaclass

So it won't be anything too amazing.

Deffo going to do a save where I focus on this, just for shits and giggles. Let's see how it works out in real play vs. simming the matches. Obviously won't be able to find players with 20 in all those stats but will put together the best fit I can.
Interesting thing was that I also tried a simulation where I replaced the 20's with 15's and they got relegated :lol:

Chipper

Adulterer.
Interesting thing was that I also tried a simulation where I replaced the 20's with 15's and they got relegated :lol:
Well at least my guys won't have 1 for nearly everything else!

Stumbled upon Kazuyoshi Miura in game the other day, it's the opposite of his profile. :lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Hmm. I think I've been lulled into a false sense of security with the base level of players being Vanarama level and now I'm actually there it seems they're not as amazing as I thought :lol:

Chipper

Adulterer.
Hmm. I think I've been lulled into a false sense of security with the base level of players being Vanarama level and now I'm actually there it seems they're not as amazing as I thought :lol:

Season's expectations/predictions? At least it looks like it's getting challenging now, spices things up!

Another question, what sort of database did you run on this save when it comes to players? When I was trying that Rochdale St. Clements save all my opponents had greyed out teams which was making that first season ridiculously easy and ultimately unenjoyable. I didn't fancy a few seasons of that. That was on a small database.

If having another crack I'd be hoping a larger database would help fix that. There's the "add players to playable teams" box too. I think ticking that would help?

Been watching WorkTheSpace's Park to Prem series on Youtube and wouldn't mind another go at this, but only if I don't have to face teams of greys.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Season's expectations/predictions? At least it looks like it's getting challenging now, spices things up!

Another question, what sort of database did you run on this save when it comes to players? When I was trying that Rochdale St. Clements save all my opponents had greyed out teams which was making that first season ridiculously easy and ultimately unenjoyable. I didn't fancy a few seasons of that. That was on a small database.

If having another crack I'd be hoping a larger database would help fix that. There's the "add players to playable teams" box too. I think ticking that would help?

Been watching WorkTheSpace's Park to Prem series on Youtube and wouldn't mind another go at this, but only if I don't have to face teams of greys.
I think I did a medium database. My own club started with greyed out players too but I gave them all contracts to make them ‘real’. Then there’s so many free agents that I think clubs filled up quickly. I didn’t really check the squads of other teams as it was pretty simple going up the rungs until this point. But I can’t say I noticed greyed players anywhere.

Picked up form in the Vanarama but we’re still miles behind leaders Halifax, which makes me feel a bit better about losing to them in the Vase final. Still need to adjust to losing so much after 5 full seasons of domination though. It’s hard to not be annoyed at the players :lol: