g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Football & Sports Betting Thread 2019/2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Interesting, I’ve toyed with the idea of creating a model before but was never really sure what to start with or how to start. I’m pretty curious now as I have a background as a programmer and I think that part of it would be fairly doable, it’s just finding the right metric isn’t it.

It’s all pretty fascinating IMO as a non professional.

iamBen

Interesting, I’ve toyed with the idea of creating a model before but was never really sure what to start with or how to start. I’m pretty curious now as I have a background as a programmer and I think that part of it would be fairly doable, it’s just finding the right metric isn’t it.

I've also been toying with the idea of creating a ML model for predictions as a bit of a learning project rather than trying to make millions from it. Betfair AU have some interesting articles on GitHub - https://github.com/betfair-datascientists/predictive-models the AFL (Aussie Rules) section is interesting and you could rip parts of it for a football model.

This is quite an interesting article as well - https://github.com/dashee87/blogScr...ball-results-with-statistical-modelling.ipynb and there are a few papers you can Google too.

Python's my thing and the ML libraries are really good, I've not touched R so I can't really comment on that.

Jean claude van hire

That's Bet365 which is useless to professionals anyway as they will restrict you sooner or later. I can only bet a few Euros there.

And why would you bet at 2.37 when 2.44 (best price right now) is available? That loses you so much money in the long run.

Bet365's 1X2 market looks like this: 2.37 - 3.4 - 2.9 (or 2.37 - 1.57 if we combine X2), a margin of 6.1%
In Asia I can bet -0.5/+0.5 @ 2.44 / 1.67 as of now, a margin of only 0.84%
Finding these betting conversations really fascinating folks (if a little over my head to be honest). If I may ask, when you refer to the margins are you referring to the bookies cut or something else??

On a side note there has been some great insight on here recently, very impressed!!

Jagga7

Bet on Atalanta u19 -1.5 vs Genoa u19 @1.8
Got hammered on this one, ended up losing 4-2.

Bet on Waalwijk ML vs Jong Utrecht @1.8 earlier in the Dutch 2nd division.

Bit dodgy but Utrecht's best player Nick Venema (he's pretty good) got promoted to the senior team and they have really been struggling to score without him. Waalwijk have been pretty decent of late as well.

Betting on Brentford -1.5 vs Barnet as well. The regular front 3 for Brentford are starting, they should be able to beat a National League side easy enough.

Last edited:

Berbaclass

Finding these betting conversations really fascinating folks (if a little over my head to be honest). If I may ask, when you refer to the margins are you referring to the bookies cut or something else??

On a side note there has been some great insight on here recently, very impressed!!
Margin is how much the bookie takes I believe.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea

I know a few people who use models pretty successfully on a few leagues, Turkish, Estonian, Thai + a few others. I personally dislike betting stuff because a formula tells me to but I can't argue with their results. You can download templates online I'm pretty sure where all the coding is done for you then you'd need to input all the data yourself. When I start following a new league I make a database just to familiarise myself with teams and players, read up on each players previous clubs, inty caps including youth level etc. Then after a month or two I can bin off the database mostly as will remember which players are key to each team from watching the games.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea

Margins or overrounds as its more commonly called are how much 'the book' adds up to. Heads or tails is 50/50 chance so evens is the correct odds. In this situation the bookmaker would offer odds of 10/11 on both sides.

This probably explains it alright https://www.profitaccumulator.co.uk/news/matched-betting/overround-how-bookies-make-money/. Essentially the more money staked on a market the lower the overround tends to be (Big turnover = smaller margins needed for profit for bookmakers).

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Also staked City at 2.8 to win FA Cup since Chelsea and United have drawn each other. Have them a bit shorter at around 2.4. Will be very low priced against any team bar the winner of chelsea/united and if it's an away game they'll be around 2.2 at the highest to win and if it's the final they'll be about 1.6.

Berbaclass

I know a few people who use models pretty successfully on a few leagues, Turkish, Estonian, Thai + a few others. I personally dislike betting stuff because a formula tells me to but I can't argue with their results. You can download templates online I'm pretty sure where all the coding is done for you then you'd need to input all the data yourself. When I start following a new league I make a database just to familiarise myself with teams and players, read up on each players previous clubs, inty caps including youth level etc. Then after a month or two I can bin off the database mostly as will remember which players are key to each team from watching the games.
Yeah I like the idea of that. It’s all about finding a niche isn’t it really, lower leagues seem great but I think you have to weigh it against the quality of data/info you’re able to analyse for it too.

I think if I was to build a model it would be more of a guideline and use my knowledge/experience decide what to then pull the trigger on.

Berbaclass

Also staked City at 2.8 to win FA Cup since Chelsea and United have drawn each other. Have them a bit shorter at around 2.4. Will be very low priced against any team bar the winner of chelsea/united and if it's an away game they'll be around 2.2 at the highest to win and if it's the final they'll be about 1.6.
Yeah, I like that pretty sensible.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah I like the idea of that. It’s all about finding a niche isn’t it really, lower leagues seem great but I think you have to weigh it against the quality of data/info you’re able to analyse for it too.

I think if I was to build a model it would be more of a guideline and use my knowledge/experience decide what to then pull the trigger on.
You'd be amazed at the data you can find for obscure games. Some of the US Amateur leagues have better stats coverage than La Liga. Can find streams for loads of leagues nowadays as well, just depends on free time. If you've unlimited free time can watch the games and document all the stats yourself but it's very time consuming.

There's a good site as well called StatisticSports which has a record of all in play stats for basically every game ever on bet365. Very handy for obscure leagues and working out deserved results.

Pagh Wraith

Yes, margin, overround, vigorish, juice... that's all the same. You can calculate it by adding up the reciprocals of each outcome. So in a two-outcome market using the prices from the Serie A game: 1/2.37 + 1/1.565 = 1.0609 or 6.09%. This means if you randomly bet on of the outcomes you'll lose €6.09 of your €100 stake in the long run (assuming the prices reflect the true probabilities).

The formula for calculating 1X/X2 ("Double Chance") odds is: 1/((1/Win)+(1/Draw)). Example: Genoa 2.90, Draw 3.40. 1X = 1/((1/2.37)+(1+3.4)) = 1.565

Last edited:

Berbaclass

You'd be amazed at the data you can find for obscure games. Some of the US Amateur leagues have better stats coverage than La Liga. Can find streams for loads of leagues nowadays as well, just depends on free time. If you've unlimited free time can watch the games and document all the stats yourself but it's very time consuming.

There's a good site as well called StatisticSports which has a record of all in play stats for basically every game ever on bet365. Very handy for obscure leagues and working out deserved results.
Thanks, I'll check that site out!

What metric do you look for in games or is it a number of things that you use to determine your predictions?

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Thanks, I'll check that site out!

What metric do you look for in games or is it a number of things that you use to determine your predictions?
I've no set formula as such for anything, people always ask me how I know what the correct prices should be and generally I just know because I do. I've so much experience in following games so I can remember prices from similar games from years ago and usually spot if they look wrong at a glance. I guess for 'mainstream' stuff like the AFC Asian Cup, it generally boils down to opinions and knowledge of watching all the teams play a lot of games in the past and just forming opinions on each teams level and deciding prices based on team ratings (and factoring in styles of play). Then for obscurer stuff, I'd use previous game stats and see if results were deserved based on Dangerous Attacks, Shots on/off and sometimes corners (generally an okay indicator of better side, but not an exact science). I've no idea if any of that will make any sense, it's a hard thing to explain :lol:

Berbaclass

I've no set formula as such for anything, people always ask me how I know what the correct prices should be and generally I just know because I do. I've so much experience in following games so I can remember prices from similar games from years ago and usually spot if they look wrong at a glance. I guess for 'mainstream' stuff like the AFC Asian Cup, it generally boils down to opinions and knowledge of watching all the teams play a lot of games in the past and just forming opinions on each teams level and deciding prices based on team ratings (and factoring in styles of play). Then for obscurer stuff, I'd use previous game stats and see if results were deserved based on Dangerous Attacks, Shots on/off and sometimes corners (generally an okay indicator of better side, but not an exact science). I've no idea if any of that will make any sense, it's a hard thing to explain :lol:
Yeah, I understand what you're saying.

I just tend to simplify my betting (will a team win or not) and have never really concerned myself all that much with odds/margin etc. Obviously, the goal is to win the most money possible (whether you're a recreational or a pro gambler) but I've always had the mindset of putting the win before potential good/bad odds. Because actually winning the bet is the most important thing.

At the same time though something has to be considered 'good value' for you to want to put your money on it too I guess but it's determining that value which will obviously differ from person to person.

Football is a fascinating thing to me. There are lots of intangibles and variables that could either work for or against you and obviously, it's possible to succeed in making profit long term because there are people who do it. How much of that is down to what I'll call 'insider knowledge' or things along those lines though I don't know.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, I understand what you're saying.

I just tend to simplify my betting (will a team win or not) and have never really concerned myself all that much with odds/margin etc. Obviously, the goal is to win the most money possible (whether you're a recreational or a pro gambler) but I've always had the mindset of putting the win before potential good/bad odds. Because actually winning the bet is the most important thing.

At the same time though something has to be considered 'good value' for you to want to put your money on it too I guess but it's determining that value which will obviously differ from person to person.

Football is a fascinating thing to me. There are lots of intangibles and variables that could either work for or against you and obviously, it's possible to succeed in making profit long term because there are people who do it. How much of that is down to what I'll call 'insider knowledge' or things along those lines though I don't know.
This isn't true long term, whats important is that the bet was good and long term it wins more often than the odds suggest. Obviously it's a results business at the end of the day but it's better to be on unlucky losers than lucky winners long term. I also wasn't overly fussed about odds a couple of years ago then realised taking 1.72 instead of 1.8 is huge money when you're on decent stakes over 800 bets.

I know probably 40/50 full time gamblers and none of us rely on inside information to make money (sometimes we'll have youth lineups early from players we know) but generally all the info we use is from the public domain.
The biggest error people make is assuming your football knowledge has to be good to make money betting, it doesn't, you just need to understand how the bookies work. Stockbrokers aren't experts in the fields of companies shares they trade, but they are experts in knowing how shares react to news and knowing when share prices are valued and certain factors aren't priced in, essentially betting is like that. It isn't about knowing absolutely everything about a game but about whether what you do know is factored into prices already (e.g home bias, team news, new manager etc)

Berbaclass

This isn't true long term, whats important is that the bet was good and long term it wins more often than the odds suggest. Obviously it's a results business at the end of the day but it's better to be on unlucky losers than lucky winners long term. I also wasn't overly fussed about odds a couple of years ago then realised taking 1.72 instead of 1.8 is huge money when you're on decent stakes over 800 bets.

I know probably 40/50 full time gamblers and none of us rely on inside information to make money (sometimes we'll have youth lineups early from players we know) but generally all the info we use is from the public domain.
The biggest error people make is assuming your football knowledge has to be good to make money betting, it doesn't, you just need to understand how the bookies work. Stockbrokers aren't experts in the fields of companies shares they trade, but they are experts in knowing how shares react to news and knowing when share prices are valued and certain factors aren't priced in, essentially betting is like that. It isn't about knowing absolutely everything about a game but about whether what you do know is factored into prices already (e.g home bias, team news, new manager etc)
Yeah you’re right there to be fair, having sound principles is the key thing.

I get that the minute difference in odds like you explained is important it’s just never been a factor to me as someone who usually does between £100-200. £3 here or £5 there though I’m sure does add up over time, especially in increased stakes.

I guess that’s just the difference between me as a recreational gambler and yourself as a professional. I’m just trying to teach myself to have discipline first and foremost which is another thing which I think is crucial.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain

Out of curiousity how many games do you watch a day? It sounds mental the amounts of markets you cover and grt to watch too. How many bets a day do you place on average as a professional? Some interesting discussions going on earlier!

Jean claude van hire

Yes, margin, overround, vigorish, juice... that's all the same. You can calculate it by adding up the reciprocals of each outcome. So in a two-outcome market using the prices from the Serie A game: 1/2.37 + 1/1.565 = 1.0609 or 6.09%. This means if you randomly bet on of the outcomes you'll lose €6.09 of your €100 stake in the long run (assuming the prices reflect the true probabilities).

The formula for calculating 1X/X2 ("Double Chance") odds is: 1/((1/Win)+(1/Draw)). Example: Genoa 2.90, Draw 3.40. 1X = 1/((1/2.37)+(1+3.4)) = 1.565
Thanks for the comprehensive explanation, I think I understand it better now. I should have been more attentive at the probability lessons in maths.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Out of curiousity how many games do you watch a day? It sounds mental the amounts of markets you cover and grt to watch too. How many bets a day do you place on average as a professional? Some interesting discussions going on earlier!
Probably watch 100+ almost every week. If theres youth tournaments on, anything from u17 to u21, I'll watch literally every game and any warm up games as well if they're streamed, same as Uefa Youth League etc. I've got 3 screens on my desk + 2 laptops so usually have games on pretty much all day. Bets will vary but I'd say on a 'normal' midweek day it would be 3/4 on average. Will be some days when I don't place any and just sit watching games and researching for 12 hours a day but if there's nothing I like, I'll just keep plugging away and wait. On busier days like weekends, especially during friendly season, I might end up on 10-15 bets a day. I'm pretty disciplined compared to some others I know who will have 15+ bets every day but they are chasers, whilst I know 1 guy who has a bet every few weeks, just waits for huge bets to appear.

El Presidente

I, too, find these discussions really interesting. I am, obviously, a recreational gambler so I just base my predictions on a hunch (which must sound really stupid to a professional). So, all these beating bookies, edges, margins etc. concepts are pretty alien to me. I always thought that the most important thing for a bet was to be actually winning.

So, what makes a bet “good”? Also, do you use additional tools or softwares to determine how profitable a bet is? I want to learn more about the markets from a professional point of view but it’s kinda hard when I had this different concept for such a long time.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
I, too, find these discussions really interesting. I am, obviously, a recreational gambler so I just base my predictions on a hunch (which must sound really stupid to a professional). So, all these beating bookies, edges, margins etc. concepts are pretty alien to me. I always thought that the most important thing for a bet was to be actually winning.

So, what makes a bet “good”? Also, do you use additional tools or softwares to determine how profitable a bet is? I want to learn more about the markets from a professional point of view but it’s kinda hard when I had this different concept for such a long time.
Doesn't sound stupid at all don't worry. I'd define a bet as 'good' as either one that beats the odds or deserved to win (reflective of the odds). A couple weeks a go I tipped Chelsea Women in here, they were 8/1 to win and they kicked off around 2/1. Now, at that point, this bet is good because the odds have dropped loads and I've beat the market. If they draw 1-1 and it's an even game, it was still a great bet at 8/1. If they lost 6-0 and deserved to lose 6-0, it was not a good bet, despite beating the market, because the market was wrong. This is pretty rare though, and would generally be a freak result.

Conversely, if you bet Barcelona at 1/10 (1.1) and they draw 0-0 but missed a huge sitter to win (or just stumble to a 1-0 win), that isn't a good bet, because a 1/10 should be 2/3 goals better over the 90. Probably one of the biggest errors people make is thinking 'Barca are a banker this weekend at 1.1' and then justifying it afterwards as a great bet because they won 1-0.

I was on Iran Draw no bet today v Japan. After a dodgy 20 minute start where Japan played really well, Iran were a fair bit better until the Japan goal (huge error by 6 players not playing to the whistle) then Japan got a dodgy penalty and a 3rd goal on the counter. My bet lost by 3 goals but a 3 goal win wasn't a fair reflection on the game and Iran probably wouldn't have lost if they didn't make the huge error. So despite losing my bet by 3 goals, I have no regrets over my bet, and feel it was a reasonable enough bet.

I don't use any software or models for pricing, I just use my head and create prices in my head, then compare to the prices that are offered. I do a lot of post analysis though (usually after a losing streak) where I'll analyse every bet, (what score lines I'm betting from, whether I'm betting + or - handicaps, which leagues, which teams etc) and work out where my poorest returns are and try to work on those.

Pagh Wraith

Probably watch 100+ almost every week. If theres youth tournaments on, anything from u17 to u21, I'll watch literally every game and any warm up games as well if they're streamed, same as Uefa Youth League etc. I've got 3 screens on my desk + 2 laptops so usually have games on pretty much all day. Bets will vary but I'd say on a 'normal' midweek day it would be 3/4 on average. Will be some days when I don't place any and just sit watching games and researching for 12 hours a day but if there's nothing I like, I'll just keep plugging away and wait. On busier days like weekends, especially during friendly season, I might end up on 10-15 bets a day. I'm pretty disciplined compared to some others I know who will have 15+ bets every day but they are chasers, whilst I know 1 guy who has a bet every few weeks, just waits for huge bets to appear.
I've heard stories like that from other professionals so I'm not surprised by the amount of work that goes into it. It really is a full-time job. I can invest around ten hours every week and limit myself to betting a few mainstream leagues and while I try to catch highlights of most of them I much more rely on statistics and some sophisticated Excel sheets I've created. There's really no end to the amount of research you can do though, and as you said it's really about being ahead of the markets and beating the early lines. Which particulary in the lower leagues will make you a lot of money as bookies are often just guessing.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
What are the best odds on City winning the treble? I can only find it suspended on Skybet, & I can't find a site to compare prices on things like multiple title wins :( Does one exist?

Last edited:

Jagga7

Doesn't sound stupid at all don't worry. I'd define a bet as 'good' as either one that beats the odds or deserved to win (reflective of the odds). A couple weeks a go I tipped Chelsea Women in here, they were 8/1 to win and they kicked off around 2/1. Now, at that point, this bet is good because the odds have dropped loads and I've beat the market. If they draw 1-1 and it's an even game, it was still a great bet at 8/1. If they lost 6-0 and deserved to lose 6-0, it was not a good bet, despite beating the market, because the market was wrong. This is pretty rare though, and would generally be a freak result.

Conversely, if you bet Barcelona at 1/10 (1.1) and they draw 0-0 but missed a huge sitter to win (or just stumble to a 1-0 win), that isn't a good bet, because a 1/10 should be 2/3 goals better over the 90. Probably one of the biggest errors people make is thinking 'Barca are a banker this weekend at 1.1' and then justifying it afterwards as a great bet because they won 1-0.

I was on Iran Draw no bet today v Japan. After a dodgy 20 minute start where Japan played really well, Iran were a fair bit better until the Japan goal (huge error by 6 players not playing to the whistle) then Japan got a dodgy penalty and a 3rd goal on the counter. My bet lost by 3 goals but a 3 goal win wasn't a fair reflection on the game and Iran probably wouldn't have lost if they didn't make the huge error. So despite losing my bet by 3 goals, I have no regrets over my bet, and feel it was a reasonable enough bet.

I don't use any software or models for pricing, I just use my head and create prices in my head, then compare to the prices that are offered. I do a lot of post analysis though (usually after a losing streak) where I'll analyse every bet, (what score lines I'm betting from, whether I'm betting + or - handicaps, which leagues, which teams etc) and work out where my poorest returns are and try to work on those.
Did you play poker before? Basically the same thought process!

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
:lol: What a lazy fecker, check it yourself!
:D I can't find it, otherwise I would! The only site I found which has multiple trophies won betting is Skybet, and their treble odds on City are suspended. 9/1 for the Liverpool treble, though (PL/LC/CL).

Hey Liverpool 7/4 not to win a trophy... That's pretty damn good, really.

Marty1968

Going big tonight on Arsenal, United, City and Huddersfield(+2). Can't see any of those slipping up. Huddersfield with a new manager will be up for it tonight. Could see them sneaking a 1-0 win but not that brave to lump on it. Might have a little punt on it though.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
100+ matches a week? Maybe 160 hours? Leaving you just over an hour a day to eat, sleep and shit?
Usually have a few games on at once, can have 6 on at one time occasionally but hard to follow that much properly so usually just have 2/3 on. Probably spend around 12 hours each day working, probably about 2/3 days a month where I do less than 8 hours a day, usually when I'm hungover.
Did you play poker before? Basically the same thought process!
I played poker briefly online about 10 years ago when I was 13/14 and made decent money (for a kid), my dad's an ex small time semi pro (just grinded online, couple live tournaments).

IrishGlen

What are the best odds on City winning the treble? I can only find it suspended on Skybet, & I can't find a site to compare prices on things like multiple title wins :( Does one exist?
12/1 for the treble and 16/1 for the quadruple on Betfair in the multiple trophies section.

11/1 for Liverpool to do the double if you’re feeling confident!

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
12/1 for the treble and 16/1 for the quadruple on Betfair in the multiple trophies section.

11/1 for Liverpool to do the double if you’re feeling confident!
Cheers!

7/4 on no trophies for us seems like the safer bet. Plus I won't be too bothered if I lose the bet :D

IrishGlen

I feel there’s decent money to be made when the CL starts up again in the “To Qualify” bets. Man City, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Porto, United, Dortmund, Bayern and Atletico pays nearly €1,300 from a score bet. The way I’d look at it is 4 are near certainties to progress and Porto / Roma, Atletico / Juve, United / PSG and Bayern / Liverpool is the ambitious part. Swap around teams depending on who you think will qualify but you’ll get decent odds!

Sylar

7/4 on no trophies for us seems like the safer bet. Plus I won't be too bothered if I lose the bet :D
Ive done that recently. Small bets on stuff I dont want to happen.
If i win, profit. If not, United benefit.

Berbaclass

I feel there’s decent money to be made when the CL starts up again in the “To Qualify” bets. Man City, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Porto, United, Dortmund, Bayern and Atletico pays nearly €1,300 from a score bet. The way I’d look at it is 4 are near certainties to progress and Porto / Roma, Atletico / Juve, United / PSG and Bayern / Liverpool is the ambitious part. Swap around teams depending on who you think will qualify but you’ll get decent odds!
Roma, Juve, United and Bayern I think.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Ive done that recently. Small bets on stuff I dont want to happen.
If i win, profit. If not, United benefit.
Yup, can't really go wrong. Can't see us winning the CL, so it's an insurance policy if we blunder the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.