Foreign secretary advice to LGBT fans.... Be respectful

Roane

Yeeah sure the regs exist, but FIFA, as the tournament organisers, have the power to make exceptions to the regs when appropriate. They didn't even reply to requests by the FA and others to wear the armbands, and now they're evidently threatening players with heavy sanctions for wearing them.

It seems pretty clear to me that FIFA has found itself totally beholden to Qatar, and they are totally spineless. Equally, Qatar are using their financial muscle to enforce change in FIFA to make it more in line with their politics. They both bear responsibility.

It's good to know you think Qatar's government is staffed by cnuts - that didn't come across in your previous posts.

Tbf I've said that all along.

What I think has happened is that now it's every stick to beat Qatar with whether it's them or not.

Certainly with some folks I was initially replying to.

I also said I hate virtue signalling, if that is the right context here. I don't think FAs and footballers give a feck. I also think some of the posters don't either.

It's bandwagons or try and win an argument.

Marwood

I'm just asking how you decide how much a person has to do to not just be "virtue signalling" ?
Well I'd ask why hasn't a single pundit or celebrity mentioned the money?

We all go to work for money. We all make it clear its for the money. It's no problem.

So why do these guys say their motivation is everything but money?

stevoc

Yes I did and of a couple, heterosexual or homosexual suddenly started ahvingbsex I'd kick them out too
You wouldn't let someone who's been drinking alcohol into your home or you wouldn't let someone drink alcohol in your home?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Hard to come out in a sport where the biggest tournament is willfully held in a country where homosexuality is illegal and people back down at showing even the mildest, blandest type of gesture in support for LGBT rights at even the threat of a yellow card. How much faith could you really have in the industry and insititutions around you?

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Hard to come out in a sport where the biggest tournament is willfully held in a country where homosexuality is illegal and people back down at showing even the mildest, blandest type of gesture in support for LGBT rights at even the threat of a yellow card. How much faith could you really have in the industry and insititutions around you?
Completely agree. This is utterly disgraceful.

Abizzz

Well I'd ask why hasn't a single pundit or celebrity mentioned the money?

We all go to work for money. We all make it clear its for the money. It's no problem.

So why do these guys say their motivation is everything but money?
I don't know but I've seen plenty of pundits and players talk about money in the past. Agents too. Not this tournament however yet.

But generally for the big nations what the players earn at a world cup is usually peanuts compared to what they earn at their clubs.

Marwood

Yes I did and of a couple, heterosexual or homosexual suddenly started ahvingbsex I'd kick them out too
I actually agree with you on the virtue signalling. I don't like it either. It's dishonest.

However in the same fashion you're reluctant to clear up where you(not Islam or a book) stand on these matters. It's not a good look when you can't give a straight answer to basic questions. Or when you go a bit arbitrary with rules on drinking and being gay.

Especially when you're voluntarily in a thread discussing LGBTQ issues. I wouldn't question you on this for any other reason than you being here in this thread.

For me its tricky to take your opinion on board when I'm unsure if you think homosexuality is immoral or if you think it should be illegal.

Roane

You wouldn't let someone who's been drinking alcohol into your home or you wouldn't let someone drink alcohol in your home?
Both tbh.

If I was single with no kids I may reconsider drunk

fergosaurus

Really disappointing. Any future gestures they make will be meaningless in the knowledge that they wilted under the slightest bit of pressure.

tomaldinho1

Both tbh.

If I was single with no kids I may reconsider drunk
Not to sidetrack the thread but what’s the issue if you had a friend and they have a glass of wine or a beer in your house? I’m assuming you’re only letting people you know well into your house.

Marwood

I don't know but I've seen plenty of pundits and players talk about money in the past. Agents too. Not this tournament however yet.

But generally for the big nations what the players earn at a world cup is usually peanuts compared to what they earn at their clubs.
I don't mean the players. They have less of a choice.

I'm about the fringe characters. The millionaires who are there with their hands out.

I don't think any of them have mentioned money. Alex Scott is there because she "loves her job." No mention of the huge pay she'll be getting.

I'd personally have way more respect and time for them if they stopped treating us lile idiots. Just be a grown up and say "while I care about the issues I also want to earn a lot of money."

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Not to sidetrack the thread but what’s the issue if you had a friend and they have a glass of wine or a beer in your house? I’m assuming you’re only letting people you know well into your house.
Tbf even though its not my style(my parties would be super boring), if someone is super puritan about alcohol in their own home it's fair enough for religious reasons or otherwise.

Abizzz

I don't mean the players. They have less of a choice.

I'm about the fringe characters. The millionaires who are there with their hands out.

I don't think any of them have mentioned money. Alex Scott is there because she "loves her job." No mention of the huge pay she'll be getting.

I'd personally have way more respect and time for them if they stopped treating us lile idiots. Just be a grown up and say "while I care about the issues I also want to earn a lot of money."
Oh gotcha. What makes you think she's a millionaire though? The Beeb pay everyone like they are Lineker these days?

Generally I do agree there are plenty who take the money and still try to come across as on the "right" side. Feck them. But that pales in comparison to the shit Qatar and FIFA are pulling of this November.

Eleven.

"Virtue signalling" is such an empty phrase to use. I suppose she is "woke" too.

Or maybe... Because 4 years ago she was the first female pundit on the BBC and doesn't want to stop that progress?

Maybe she wants to raise awareness while she is there working for a national broadcaster?
Alex Scott, however she identifies now, was in a long term relationship with an ex Arsenal team-mate. She’s personally invested in this - no doubt she’ll also have plenty of LGBT friends through playing womens football.
Yes, let’s respect her wearing the arm band in a show of unity - but is she any different to the Gary Neville’s and David Beckhams taking ££ from this WC? I’m not sure how I feel on that one.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Yup. Looks even more pathetic in light of Iran actually doing something to protest their own government. Just the weakest of all positions in the end.

Marwood

Oh gotcha. What makes you think she's a millionaire though? The Beeb pay everyone like they are Lineker these days?

Generally I do agree there are plenty who take the money and still try to come across as on the "right" side. Feck them. But that pales in comparison to the shit Qatar and FIFA are pulling of this November.
I didn't mean literally every pundit or celebrity is a millionaire but for sure Alex Scott will be a very wealthy woman. She's been on TV a while now. She doesn't need the world cup money.

But then I have no problem with her going and earning a few quid. Or Lineker or Neville, who are no doubt multi millionaires.

But just own it, be honest and I think any gestures they then make towards the issues would have some merit.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll

Boavista

Alex Scott, however she identifies now, was in a long term relationship with an ex Arsenal team-mate. She’s personally invested in this - no doubt she’ll also have plenty of LGBT friends through playing womens football.
Yes, let’s respect her wearing the arm band in a show of unity - but is she any different to the Gary Neville’s and David Beckhams taking ££ from this WC? I’m not sure how I feel on that one.
I think that all depends on how she interprets her job there. If she uses her position to highlight injustices then I don't see how it is wrong to work at this WC. After all she's not being paid by Qatar, but by the BBC who so far don't seem to shy away from criticising the host country's human rights issues even at the expense of not broadcasting the opening ceremony on TV.

Beckham's role is basically being paid millions to say "oh what a wonderful country", while Neville works for the Qatari owned Bein sports. Neville might justify his role in the same way Alex Scott will but given his employer it's a different role. Maybe it's a minor difference, but different nonetheless.

tomaldinho1

Tbf even though its not my style(my parties would be super boring), if someone is super puritan about alcohol in their own home it's fair enough for religious reasons or otherwise.
Yeah I hadn’t read back through the chain but if for religious reasons then each to their own. I didn’t realise that was a thing (no alcohol whatsoever in home) I thought it was more avoiding personal consumption.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Yeah I hadn’t read back through the chain but if for religious reasons then each to their own. I didn’t realise that was a thing (no alcohol whatsoever in home) I thought it was more avoiding personal consumption.
I'm sure someone more qualified can answer the question whether alcohol can be consumed by others in your home if you following what is supposed to be 100% correct Islam by their definition.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
According to some people, literally no human being would ever be able to complain about anything. It's astonishing that something so obvious as qatar having a shit human rights records turns into discussions about how much a pundit earns.

The way some people defend qatar as if they're defending family kinda shows how football fecks people's brains. In that sense, sportswashing has been incredibly effective.

Also this "oh but it's over there" it's such bullshit. I would bet the people saying this stuff wouldn't get off their couches if lgbt rights were being taken away where they live. They just don't care.

Mick1

I'm not really sure I fully understand the nature of LGBT support controversy in the world cup.
Are the teams showing support for the LGBT community suffering under Qatari laws? In other words, the Qatari LGBT community?
Are teams protesting the treatment of LGBT tourists during the World Cup?
Or is it just to stand with the international LGBT community, much like the Black Lives Matter movement?
This is genuinely not a pi$$ take, I'm really confused.

Sweet Square

It’s going to be very odd when Kane puts the arm band back on for the next Tottenham game.

People really do believe in nothing.

Mick1

I'm sure someone more qualified can answer the question whether alcohol can be consumed by others in your home if you following what is supposed to be 100% correct Islam by their definition.
Think a Muslim would answer better than this, but my Muslim friends would rather not hang out with me when I'm under the influence. Even more so in their own homes. Never took it personally, nor really ever had a problem with it. Similar with Pork beef in more religious households.

Fluctuation0161

Slightly different in that Beckham has never mentioned any of the issues in Qatar to any serious extent.

Also Beckham is reported to have event between £10M and £150M to endorse Qatar. Plus he is a Worldwide star and icon. So that is barely comparable.

Neville I don't know much about. But don't recall him speaking out at all?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
It’s going to be very odd when Kane puts the arm band back on for the next Tottenham game.

People really do believe in nothing.
We don't know what he believes in, it could be that he's just a spineless shell who doesn't have the courage of his convictions. Ideally, they shouldn't have gone, but that's a huge sacrifice. Honestly, while it's easy for me to boycott as a fan whose country hasn't qualified, I'm not sure I'd be able to boycott it as a player, but there's no way I wouldn't make some acknowledgment of the wider issues. Like you say if he does wear it again it will warrant comment.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I gotta say, looking at social media it's alarming the number of europeans who just say "well, they're homophobic, but it's their country, we have to respect it".

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I gotta say, looking at social media it's alarming the number of europeans who just say "well, they're homophobic, but it's their country, we have to respect it".
Yes, there is a huge spotlight being shone on those of us 'enlightened' westerners who seem to tolerate homophobia. It must be quite depressing for the LGBT+ communities all over the world.