Gaming Fortnite .

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Are you finding loads of games with building battles? I'm finding the opposite lately on both Eu and Nae. Me and my boy won a game of duo vs squads earlier with 15 kills between us and I can't remember anything other than a few odd walls or ramp rush attempts. End game seems to have changed again too.

I think long term rather than mess with resources they should still focus on the shooting and loot mechanics. I'm really tired of the bloom, it's just not a good mechanic at all.

But yeah I'd welcome a limited time game type where they test shooting mechanics again, but limit the amount of resources you can carry too to something like 299 of each.
I played the game very early - maybe a few days after release and I distinctly remember building being a non-entity. Nowadays, it's build, build, build. I'm not too shabby at building myself but it really bores me as it moves away from the main aspect - shooting. I'm very good at shooting medium - long range but shotgun fights are inconsistent hence why I've taken a little disliking to the game and building.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I played the game very early - maybe a few days after release and I distinctly remember building being a non-entity. Nowadays, it's build, build, build. I'm not too shabby at building myself but it really bores me as it moves away from the main aspect - shooting. I'm very good at shooting medium - long range but shotgun fights are inconsistent hence why I've taken a little disliking to the game and building.
Yeah I totally know what you mean with the close range shotgun thing, it irks me too really.

I think the building is fine (though the wood could drop a few hp), they just need to sort out the mid-range combat to make it viable and maybe nerf the tac shotty in terms of firing rates or bullets in the chamber or something. Also make them way more rare.

Castia

Playing on PC grouped with my step son who’s playing on Xbox, it’s brilliant tbh.

Redlambs

I finished 2nd in solos to a zero kill win prick earlier.

I was so bemused and lauging so hard at his shit rocket play fighting some other idiot that I forgot I was in the last stages of the storm and just as he got the rocket kill, I died to it.

To be fair, I just kind of admired how someone can go an entire game and not actually play it because they are so desperate for a win that means absolutely nothing. GG's my man!

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
How old are most of you playing this?

And how old are the kids of the posters in this thread who are playing?

My kid is 11 and I am not really into shoot em up games - I don't really see the benefits but do see possible negative effects (not necessarily that he'll become a mass shooting perpetrater, but rather completely addicted to the game to the point of doing even less homework and turning into an even grumpier little man when he can't play anymore).

I currently don't allow him to play this - all his friends and all his cousins of course do!

Such a cnut of a Dad.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.

My kid is 11 and I am not really into shoot em up games - I don't really see the benefits but do see possible negative effects (not necessarily that he'll become a mass shooting perpetrater, but rather completely addicted to the game to the point of doing even less homework and turning into an even grumpier little man when he can't play anymore).

I currently don't allow him to play this - all his friends and all his cousins of course do!

Such a cnut of a Dad.
There are loads of benefits, as long as he doesn't become obsessed with it and it takes over his life.

Redlambs

My 9 year old plays it almost daily, and is pretty damn good at it. He's played with a couple of big time twitch/youtubers and put up a hell of a fight against KingRichard too.

But his homework/schoolwork hasn't suffered at all, he's smashing it. He knows that if it did, or if he ever gave me attitude when I tell him his time on it is up, he'll be banned. Clear and simple rules, it's down to the parents to keep fully engaged in what they are doing or want to do. It's like that roblox warning that keeps going round the schools, people are just afraid of what they don't understand. Excluding kids from something isn't the way imo.

To be fair it's also done my boys the world of good. Recently they have gone through a little trauma and I've had to bring them to live with me and start fresh in a new school which is obviously incredibly scary. Now both have plenty of friends within days and a lot of it is down to connecting with others via gaming, specifically this game.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Such a cnut of a Dad.
That's a bit unfair, I think you should let him play - but have a strict rule that he must come off at 9pm or something for bed.

It's not a blood and guts game, no gore. He will feel left out and more likely damage his friendships, rather than him growing up to be a killer.

Make sure he understands he can only play it under 1 condition, and if he doesn't stick to it you'll take it away.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
My 9 year old plays it almost daily, and is pretty damn good at it. He's played with a couple of big time twitch/youtubers and put up a hell of a fight against KingRichard too.

But his homework/schoolwork hasn't suffered at all, he's smashing it. He knows that if it did, or if he ever gave me attitude when I tell him his time on it is up, he'll be banned. Clear and simple rules, it's down to the parents to keep fully engaged in what they are doing or want to do. It's like that roblox warning that keeps going round the schools, people are just afraid of what they don't understand. Excluding kids from something isn't the way imo.

To be fair it's also done my boys the world of good. Recently they have gone through a little trauma and I've had to bring them to live with me and start fresh in a new school which is obviously incredibly scary. Now both have plenty of friends within days and a lot of it is down to connecting with others via gaming, specifically this game.
Yeah, this is a good method to keep kids in check and happy - gaming isn't what it was when I was a kid, not too long ago. My dad used to make me earn my gaming time as a kid. If I didn't get the grades, I didn't get my gameboy or PS1. The harder I worked, the more likely I was to be able to play video games.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
For some reason I can't get into this game at all, I think the Switch version IF/when it comes out might change that.

Redlambs

For some reason I can't get into this game at all, I think the Switch version IF/when it comes out might change that.
:drool: There surely will be a switch version! I'd love that even though I can't stand console fps' in general.

It's a game that you can jump straight in, but to get the best out of you just need to practice and die loads. For example the building throws people off most, but it's really seriously so easy to do once you know the basics. Like really easy despite looking so hard and feeling intimidating at first. Watch a MonsterDFace video on it, then drop Wailing woods and just practice. If you can throw a basic ramp/wall or fort in the middle of a fight, then you are going to get kills. If you can ramp rush some newb in a base at the end, then you are going to get wins.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Are you finding loads of games with building battles? I'm finding the opposite lately on both Eu and Nae. Me and my boy won a game of duo vs squads earlier with 15 kills between us and I can't remember anything other than a few odd walls or ramp rush attempts. End game seems to have changed again too.

I think long term rather than mess with resources they should still focus on the shooting and loot mechanics. I'm really tired of the bloom, it's just not a good mechanic at all.

But yeah I'd welcome a limited time game type where they test shooting mechanics again, but limit the amount of resources you can carry too to something like 299 of each.
In the games i'm in, the endgame is always 3-4 towers.
If one is shot down, the guy builds another one.
I would honestly don't mind if they got rid of the building, would probably like it better.
That said, it's amazing spectating someone who really knows how to build fast!

I think it has so much potential, but the rate at which everyone plays the one map, it's gonna hit a wall soon.

Think I'd prefer it if they just took the year, release a standalone game, and hit us with shit loads of maps and game modes.

It still says early access though, is that there intention? I'm fed up with solo at this point.
The same in PUBG, there are 2 maps, i find that quite boring.
Think both games should have atleast 4-5 different maps.
PUBG is releasing a new smaller one soon, though, looking forward to i. New places to die! :)

Redlambs

In the games i'm in, the endgame is always 3-4 towers.
If one is shot down, the guy builds another one.
I would honestly don't mind if they got rid of the building, would probably like it better.
That said, it's amazing spectating someone who really knows how to build fast!

The same in PUBG, there are 2 maps, i find that quite boring.
Think both games should have atleast 4-5 different maps.
PUBG is releasing a new smaller one soon, though, looking forward to i. New places to die! :)
Nah, getting rid of building removes the entire point. If it went to just shooting, I'd go straight back to Pubg for sure.

Also end game, it's more about what you can do then what they can. Rushing bases is easy and so much fun if you practice it, that's where the game really shines as every game and every encounter has the potential to be something you haven't faced before. I agree though, sitting in a tower firing random rockets or missing shit loads of snipes looks so dull, I honestly don't know how people play like it.

Last edited:

Redlambs

@Redlambs can we play soon? I'm on ps4
Yeah man. I don't play on PS4, though my Mrs does. Does crossplay let us add each other as friends? Before you had to log in on PC to do it, but that might have changed.

Crossplay works so well btw, console players have a building disadvantage but that auto aim really does make up for it. Because of that, it makes the balance not so bad. I've even tried controller out of interest and got some good kills, they've done a decent job of this game.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Yeah man. I don't play on PS4, though my Mrs does. Does crossplay let us add each other as friends? Before you had to log in on PC to do it, but that might have changed.

Crossplay works so well btw, console players have a building disadvantage but that auto aim really does make up for it. Because of that, it makes the balance not so bad. I've even tried controller out of interest and got some good kills, they've done a decent job of this game.
Having difficulty killing PS4 players, wouldn't i do worse against pc?

Anyways, let's try, my ps4 id is SlevsKelevra

Redlambs

Having difficulty killing PS4 players, wouldn't i do worse against pc?

Anyways, let's try, my ps4 id is SlevsKelevra
Nah, I'm pretty sure console weapons have less bloom and the autoaim is too good if anything. Plus crossplay servers have console, pc and mobile users on so you'll find it easier if anything.

This game turns my young teenage sons into little psychopaths!! It needs banning :nono:
Make sure you don't tell them that then. You'll be impulsed out of a window!

Mal donaghy

Nah, I'm pretty sure console weapons have less bloom and the autoaim is too good if anything. Plus crossplay servers have console, pc and mobile users on so you'll find it easier if anything.

Make sure you don't tell them that then. You'll be impulsed out of a window!
Told my son what you wrote and he started pissing himself laughing, what am I missing here!!! :houllier:

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
What are they?
Gaming often require logical thinking. It keeps the brain active. Shooters for example test eye and hand co-ordination and it has been shown that among medical students training to become surgeons that the highest performers are the ones that played shooters.

Obviously it can become a problem for some but it's not really something you should be worried about if you're confident in your skills as a parent. On the other hand of the spectrum if the time consuption does become immense it could lead to a professional career.

I've been playing computer games since I was 4 and I'm a college graduate. All of my friends are college graduates (mostly computer science and math) and have played computer games all their lives to. It's not a big problem. The smartphone is a much bigger problem than gaming on a console or PC. Reddit and this here site are worse for my attention span towards studying than gaming ever has. It's only the few nights a year where I go to bed way to late because I couldn't quit the game.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
This game turns my young teenage sons into little psychopaths!! It needs banning :nono:
Have you considered that it isn't the game and maybe your kids are just not able to control their emotions?

I'm gaming all my life and rarely ever lost my temper at games

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Anyone up for some caf squads? I really need to lesrn hoe to build

Redlambs

Anyone up for some caf squads? I really need to lesrn hoe to build
I'll try send you a friend request later, but I think we have to be on the same system to accept and I don't have psn on my profile on the ps4. So worst comes to worst I'll play on PS4 (bleurgh) on the mrs' account.

I'll probably be trash but I'll be happy to go through some games and teach you the ropes. The building game and landing spots are different on console, but it will all apply just the same.

In the meantime the best thing to do is play dome solos, drop somewhere like wailing woods to get lots of wood, then just throw up some planks. Build a single wall, practice editing. Build a ramp, practice editing and rotating. Build a basic fort of 4 walls and a ramp in the middle and practice editing doors and half ramps.

Mal donaghy

Have you considered that it isn't the game and maybe your kids are just not able to control their emotions?

I'm gaming all my life and rarely ever lost my temper at games
No it’s the game, they play fifa, and CoD and other titles but for some reason this game turns them into hooligans!! Besides, having spoke to friends and read online articles apparently it’s not only happening to my boys, the game seems to make kids feral !! And anyways I find it hard to beleive that not once in your life have you spoken a curse word or thrown your controller down in disgust at what has happened to you during gameplay on a device!!
Jesus , I no longer play on electronic games or the like but I recall many a time getting annoyed when I was younger, you must apply for a job as a bomb disposal officer! You’ve got ice in your veins

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
No it’s the game, they play fifa, and CoD and other titles but for some reason this game turns them into hooligans!! Besides, having spoke to friends and read online articles apparently it’s not only happening to my boys, the game seems to make kids feral !! And anyways I find it hard to beleive that not once in your life have you spoken a curse word or thrown your controller down in disgust at what has happened to you during gameplay on a device!!
Jesus , I no longer play on electronic games or the like but I recall many a time getting annoyed when I was younger, you must apply for a job as a bomb disposal officer! You’ve got ice in your veins
I'm a calm man myself so I can relate. I've never taken it out on the equipment but I'll curse like one does in traffic over something that pisses me off. Mostly it was because of FIFA or FM but I hardly play either these days. It's harder to get pissed off at games where you're basically only bettered by skill.

As for being feral, isn't that the multiplayer aspect rather than the game itself? I know playing Counter-Strike you usually had to keep it cool whilst those Battle Royal games do bring out the more flippant side of you and perhaps the cartoonish style of Fortnight does it even more so than normal but I don't think it's anything you need to worry about. Teenagers are just weird and every generation has their own type of weirdness.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Well, thanks to the two posts answering mine, I decided to let my kid play it. He's been a far more reasonable chap since!

Thanks Snow and Adam_Utd.

Marcelinho87

Anybody wanna play some PC at some point? If so drop me your epic names and I will add em when not in work.

SteveTheRed

It's not the game, it's your sons.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Such a cnut of a Dad.
I let my 9 year old play it and he is fecking obsessed with it. Would play it all day and all night, given half a chance. Which I'm not thrilled about, to be honest. Much preferred when his obsession was playing soccer. We limit his PS4 time, so he only actually plays for a few hours each week. It's the way it seems to be constantly on his mind, even when he's not playing, that bothers me. TBF the weather's been crap so he's been stuck indoors a lot. Hopefully the better weather will get him wanting to spend more time outdoors again. But yeah, it does seem to be hellishly addictive. Be warned.

Redlambs

I let my 9 year old play it and he is fecking obsessed with it. Would play it all day and all night, given half a chance. Which I'm not thrilled about, to be honest. Much preferred when his obsession was playing soccer. We limit his PS4 time, so he only actually plays for a few hours each week. It's the way it seems to be constantly on his mind, even when he's not playing, that bothers me. TBF the weather's been crap so he's been stuck indoors a lot. Hopefully the better weather will get him wanting to spend more time outdoors again. But yeah, it does seem to be hellishly addictive. Be warned.
Yeah it's addictive. I just make sure my boys come off of it with no arguments the moment they are told too and made it clear the consequences of they don't. I've always done that with every game though, so they know the drill.

You seem to be wildly over reacting!!!!!!

But seriously, I fail to see how it's this one game and no others, I also find myself rolling my eyes at those online articles and those warnings that go around the schools and all over Facebook about stuff like Roblox. It's up to the parents to teach their children respect and how to behave and watch what they play, watch and listen too, especially online. If your boys have an issue with this game, then maybe you should think about ways to deal with it.

Pogue Mahone

Yeah it's addictive. I just make sure my boys come off of it with no arguments the moment they are told too and made it clear the consequences of they don't. I've always done that with every game though, so they know the drill.
I'm the same, obviously. Although I guess this will get more and more difficult as kids get older and become a bit more independent (which is a process we should allow to happen) @Dans was asking about an 11 year old, whose time spent gaming might be more difficult to control. I don't think the genie can be put back in the bottle tbh but games like this are as addictive as hell and I would always be wary about introducing anyone to an activity I know to be addictive, never mind a young kid.

Redlambs

I'm the same, obviously. Although I guess this will get more and more difficult as kids get older and become a bit more independent (which is a process we should allow to happen) @Dans was asking about an 11 year old, whose time spent gaming might be more difficult to control. I don't think the genie can be put back in the bottle tbh but games like this are as addictive as hell and I would always be wary about introducing anyone to an activity I know to be addictive, never mind a young kid.
Gaming can be addictive. I've had some pretty hard addictions to games over the years with zero boundaries with them, and I turned out fine.

I'm not at all worried about it though tbh, like you say there's no really way of stopping it. Guiding them is the best way imo.

Pogue Mahone

Gaming can be addictive. I've had some pretty hard addictions to games over the years with zero boundaries with them, and I turned out fine.

I'm not at all worried about it though tbh, like you say there's no really way of stopping it. Guiding them is the best way imo.
Yeah, I think you’re right. Just one more thing to add to that long list of stuff that will probably turn out ok in the long run but stresses the hell out of parents meanwhile!

Redlambs

Yeah, I think you’re right. Just one more thing to add to that long list of stuff that will probably turn out ok in the long run but stresses the hell out of parents meanwhile!
Most definitely. I'm just very lucky that I've already been through this as a kid myself, so I know exactly what to look out for and how to control what they have access too. I'm sure I'd be a wreck if I had no knowledge of it, which is why I'm not too hard on older parents who don't have a clue really. In fact I've given a talk about Roblox and Minecraft at a school in the past to help educate parents on the easy ways to avoid the pitfalls and make sure their kids are safe. It's a very real concern for parents and one that does need them to pay attention to.

One thing I will say - re the age at which kids can play - is that I don't find the violence problematic at all.
No I don't either. The only game I have ever stopped my boys from playing or watching streams of is GTA, for obvious reasons. I'm sure there'd be others, but nothing they've come across yet.

Trizy

After hearing non-stop about this game on social media, I'm gonna try give it a go. Are the specifications high on it? Might try download it on my laptop to pass some time.

SteveTheRed

I was addicted to PC gaming as a kid, MMO's would pretty much occupy my mind all day up from about 13-14 until was 17. I used to go to an LAN-café and do all nighters..it wasn't great for street cred, but it was just another way of socialising with my friends who were all equally obsessed!

Soon moved on...when alcohol and women because my new vice! :lol: