Fosu Mensah loan watch | Fulham 2018-19

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Saw the white text, but a loan where he'll play regularly in PL is very good for him. He isn't ready yet for United to be a regular starter and would need those minutes to continue with his development.

Come next year and an year where he puts in a shift every week he'd be comfortable IMO to be part of our first team and should be given the chance to do so.
In normal circumstances I'd agree. A top club would have 2 top natural fullbacks as first teamers, Dalot and another solid LB who would act as their cover. That we allow us to let TFM go on loan. But we don't have that. Instead we've got two 33 year old wingers covering the fb role, a very average fullback who wants out, a very average CB who can play LB whom we probably wanted him out and for good reason, a kid who had lost all preseason training due to injury and another LB who has yet to produce 5 decent games at a row despite being here for 4 years.

Considering that our chance for the title or any top honour is close to nil we might as well given TFM a chance. SAF did that with a young Gary Neville and a young Rafael and we were in way better shape back then, then now

Kostov

Yes it is. He's been here for 4 years and you can count his good games on your hands.

In my opinion, no player should stay at a top club for 4 years despite failing to produce year after year. However, here we are and we have to play with the hand dealt. I have no issues in giving Shaw his last chance but seriously I won't hold my breath in him succeeding.
For someone to produce, he firstly must play. Shaw was brought here as a kid, he was 19, and in those 4 years suffered a horrible injury. No player should stay at a top club for 4 years despite failing to produce? Well we have about 15 of them, some of them experienced pros. I think we can hold on to a 23 year old full back who has looked quality when given a run of games, especially considering the other options.

devilish

For someone to produce, he firstly must play. Shaw was brought here as a kid, he was 19, and in those 4 years suffered a horrible injury. No player should stay at a top club for 4 years despite failing to produce? Well we have about 15 of them, some of them experienced pros. I think we can hold on to a 23 year old full back who has looked quality when given a run of games, especially considering the other options.
Well that's one hell of a sob story. Yet please understand that United are not a nursing house or a hospital but a top club. Standards need to be met on a consistent level and Shaw had failed to do so. So I'd say, lets give him one last chance. If he succeeds good, if he doesn't succeed Tara. You do agree that a half a decade of giving him chances is quite a long time isn't it or should we keep on trying up until he retires?

Kostov

Well that's one hell of a sob story. Yet please understand that United are not a nursing house or a hospital but a top club. Standards need to be met on a consistent level and Shaw had failed to do so. So I'd say, lets give him one last chance. If he succeeds good, if he doesn't succeed Tara. You do agree that a half a decade of giving him chances is quite a long time isn't it or should we keep on trying up until he retires?
You right, we should not give countless chances. I wish this club was as ruthless and effective as other big clubs, unfortunately we are not and we have many players who had much more leeway than Luke Shaw. If the standard were to be high, let's make them count for everyone. We need to bin a lot of trash that way, and many other would need to leave before Shaw in my opinion. Until then and because I think Manchester United would benefit much more that way, I hope we give Shaw a proper chance this season, and the benefits will be here for everyone to see.

Red_Ramirez

We won't be winning the league this season and next year we'll probably have an exodus of players leaving,. So instead wasting time on average players who want out and will leave on cheap free then why not give a decent kid a chance? Dalot on the left and TFM on the right might just be the men we need to replace Valencia and Young. The latter two are both 33 and won't be lasting any longer.

AT THE MOMENT Fosu-Mensah IS an average right-back...

Hence the reason why he is on loan at Fulham in hope he can work on obvious weaknesses in his game, iron any kinks and mature as a player and person...

Hopefully this time round he can keep his place in the team unlike at Palace last season where he dropped to 3rd choice RB

devilish

You right, we should not give countless chances. I wish this club was as ruthless and effective as other big clubs, unfortunately we are not and we have many players who had much more leeway than Luke Shaw. If the standard were to be high, let's make them count for everyone. We need to bin a lot of trash that way, and many other would need to leave before Shaw in my opinion. Until then and because I think Manchester United would benefit much more that way, I hope we give Shaw a proper chance this season, and the benefits will be here for everyone to see.
That kind of contradicts one another. If Shaw fails again in his 5th year with us then he's equally trash as the rest of the trash. However as said, let us give him his final chance. I won't hold my breath though.

devilish

AT THE MOMENT Fosu-Mensah IS an average right-back...

Hence the reason why he is on loan at Fulham in hope he can work on obvious weaknesses in his game, iron any kinks and mature as a player and person...

Hopefully this time round he can keep his place in the team unlike at Palace last season where he dropped to 3rd choice RB
Maybe, but we're hardly spoiled for choice. Most of our FBs are average.

So instead of loaning him to some third rated squad who might or might not play him, I'd say let us cash in on Darmian and give TFM a chance instead. Playing with United, is way better then playing with Fulham. We're supposed to have better training facilities, better coaches and a better manager.

Hopefully Dalot and TFM rotating at RB and Shaw/new LB rotating next season.

Then we can say goodbye to Valencia and Young :) ❤

TheReligion

Abusive

So instead of loaning him to some third rated squad who might or might not play him, I'd say let us cash in on Darmian and give TFM a chance instead. Playing with United, is way better then playing with Fulham. We're supposed to have better training facilities, better coaches and a better manager.
He won't play though will be when we have Valencia and Dalot for that position?

He needs games for a season, not just here and there. He's getting them on loan.

devilish

He won't play though will be when we have Valencia and Dalot for that position?

He needs games for a season, not just here and there. He's getting them on loan.
I wouldn't be that sure though. I believe that Valencia's time is over and that Dalot will struggle to adapt in a new country, with Manchester United and without a solid preseason behind him. If the latter succeeds then he'll be doing what the likes of Vidic and Evra had failed

Fosu-Mens

Better to play at a club/training with a club that has shown that it can improve/develope players over the last 3 years. So obviously better for TFMs developement to play for Fulham this season.

TheReligion

Abusive
I wouldn't be that sure though. I believe that Valencia's time is over and that Dalot will struggle to adapt in a new country, with Manchester United and without a solid preseason behind him. If the latter succeeds then he'll be doing what the likes of Vidic and Evra had failed
Vidic and Evra arrived in January and were thrown straight in? The two situations aren't comparable to me

Kostov

That kind of contradicts one another. If Shaw fails again in his 5th year with us then he's equally trash as the rest of the trash. However as said, let us give him his final chance. I won't hold my breath though.
Not really, Shaw is younger than some serial underachievers we have in the team, and importantly, they didn't have such a horrible injury as a set back. We won't lose nothing in getting rid of them, with Shaw we might, as he can still turn out a very good LB.

We have a player like Jones who has been here longer, has made high profile mistakes, has missed lots of time through injury, yet he has got countless chances even from Mourinho. How long has he been here? Since 2011? What is Rojo still doing here? Darmian? Even Mata? You can make a case even for Lingard, how many times he has been appalling? Shaw hasn't got even close the amount of chances some of this guys had. I don't know whether that's double standards by Mourinho but let's hope this time he stays in the team, we really have nothing to lose.

devilish

Better to play at a club/training with a club that has shown that it can improve/develope players over the last 3 years. So obviously better for TFMs developement to play for Fulham this season.
We've got a better manager, better coaches and better players. In normal circumstances I agree with you. However, we're nowhere near to normal circumstances. Our fullbacks are pretty average and rather then insisting on average players who'll probably feck off next summer on free/cheap, Id rather see us cash in and give game time to a promising kid

devilish

Vidic and Evra arrived in January and were thrown straight in? The two situations aren't comparable to me
Weren't they?

I see plenty of parallels between Dalot and Vidic/Evra in their first few months or so. They had no preseason training with the club and they never played in England before. The only difference is that Vidic/Evra played in a better team and had more experience then Dalot has. Which of course plays against the Portuguese favor

My reasoning is simple. I doubt Valencia will be good enough this season and we all know that Darmian is dog shit who'll leaving next season on peanuts. Rather then just relying on Dalot whose got no EPL experience and had skipped pre-season we might as well sold Darmian and invested the time on TFM. After all, Dalot might be needed as LB.

Inexperience but hunger to succeed (TFM) > good old solid mediocrity (Darmian)

Our last 2 RB weren't that different (Gaz and Rafael) from TFM when they got their shot.

Last edited:

devilish

Not really, Shaw is younger than some serial underachievers we have in the team, and importantly, they didn't have such a horrible injury as a set back. We won't lose nothing in getting rid of them, with Shaw we might, as he can still turn out a very good LB.

We have a player like Jones who has been here longer, has made high profile mistakes, has missed lots of time through injury, yet he has got countless chances even from Mourinho. How long has he been here? Since 2011? What is Rojo still doing here? Darmian? Even Mata? You can make a case even for Lingard, how many times he has been appalling? Shaw hasn't got even close the amount of chances some of this guys had. I don't know whether that's double standards by Mourinho but let's hope this time he stays in the team, we really have nothing to lose.
He's been here for 4 years and had done feck all. If he fails this season then it would be a half a decade of failure. Now you seem to agree that serial failures should leave the club. However how many chances should they get? Don't you agree that a half a decade of failure is enough?

You mentioned alot of players there. If you ask me, Id like every single one of them to leave.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
:lol:Still rubbish final ball

Let's hope he can hold down the right-back spot there and actually develop his game. At Palace last season he dropped down to 3rd choice RB

Currently Darmian is a better full-back than Fosu-Mensah

Anyone and I mean anyone can look decent in a two minute highlights compliation..
Can you find me 1 of these Darmian video's where looks good? being 100% serious here..

Kostov

He's been here for 4 years and had done feck all. If he fails this season then it would be a half a decade of failure. Now you seem to agree that serial failures should leave the club. However how many chances should they get? Don't you agree that a half a decade of failure is enough?

You mentioned alot of players there. If you ask me, Id like every single one of them to leave.
Having your leg snapped in two pieces and loosing a year of your career, is considered a failure by you. Serial failures should leave the club yeah, if Shaw gets half the chances some of those players got and fails, he can leave as well, I have no problem with that.

Fosu-Mens

We've got a better manager, better coaches and better players. In normal circumstances I agree with you. However, we're nowhere near to normal circumstances. Our fullbacks are pretty average and rather then insisting on average players who'll probably feck off next summer on free/cheap, Id rather see us cash in and give game time to a promising kid
If we got a better manager, coaches and players then why are the players not showing improvements/sign of developement? I would also have liked for TFM to play in the red shirt this season, but at least he will get more gametime this season and get more experience. And also play in a club/environment that improve players(most likely).

Having your leg snapped in two pieces and loosing a year of your career, is considered a failure by you. Serial failures should leave the club yeah, if Shaw gets half the chances some of those players got and fails, he can leave as well, I have no problem with that.
Lots of players have similar bone injuries and are back playing 6-12 months after. Valencia is one of them. Shaw's form and fitness issues stopped being about his leg break a long time ago.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I'm not Valencias biggest fan but TFM needs to prove he can play regularly, and well, at RB at a high level before he takes AVs place. Sending him on loan to a PL club where he'll play regularly will be far more beneficial than the odd game here.

Kostov

Lots of players have similar bone injuries and are back playing 6-12 months after. Valencia is one of them. Shaw's form and fitness issues stopped being about his leg break a long time ago.
Yeah there are example of people getting fit sooner, but that kind of brake affects different people, differently. Even Valencia was an experienced pro when that happened, Shaw was a kid.

Were those fitness issues you mention the same that were mentioned this summer also? Because they are tiresome. It's been paddled for some time, yet he didn't have any fitness issues in the winter when he was given a run of games, he looked fine, as he does now.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Looked decent going forward for a change, hopefully he can continue to work on that.

Yeah there are example of people getting fit sooner, but that kind of brake affects different people, differently. Even Valencia was an experienced pro when that happened, Shaw was a kid.

Were those fitness issues you mention the same that were mentioned this summer also? Because they are tiresome. It's been paddled for some time, yet he didn't have any fitness issues in the winter when he was given a run of games, he looked fine, as he does now.
Shaw was in some ways lucky with his break, it was right in the middle of his leg away from the ligaments and tendons. Bone repairs itself extremely well.

You either argue its the injury at fault, in which case after 3 years we have to accept it will never get better and cut our losses. Or you say it's down to something more than that now.

Kostov

Shaw was in some ways lucky with his break, it was right in the middle of his leg away from the ligaments and tendons. Bone repairs itself extremely well.

You either argue its the injury at fault, in which case after 3 years we have to accept it will never get better and cut our losses. Or you say it's down to something more than that now.
Most footballers aren't as "lucky" as Shaw, though. Not sure how many suffer those kind of brakes, and while I agree brakes heal better, they are just as traumatizing if not the worst.

At fault for what exactly? You disregard the fact that he has been good when given a run of games. Where are those fitness issues now? Or where were these fitness issues when he was good in the winter and Jose spoke highly than still put him on the bench? I don't remember these "issues" affecting his game. It's just a manager favoring another player for whatever reason. It's a shame for Manchester United that this guy is 33 year old Ashley Young over a talented 23 year old LB on whom we spent a ton of money. Some other manager would have done that differently.

Most footballers aren't as "lucky" as Shaw, though. Not sure how many suffer those kind of brakes, and while I agree brakes heal better, they are just as traumatizing if not the worst.

At fault for what exactly? You disregard the fact that he has been good when given a run of games. Where are those fitness issues now? Or where were these fitness issues when he was good in the winter and Jose spoke highly than still put him on the bench? I don't remember these "issues" affecting his game. It's just a manager favoring another player for whatever reason. It's a shame for Manchester United that this guy is 33 year old Ashley Young over a talented 23 year old LB on whom we spent a ton of money. Some other manager would have done that differently.
Good is a relative term. Better than he has been at times? Yes. Good compared to someone like Evra? No. Good enough to be play for us long term? Not yet.

devilish

If we got a better manager, coaches and players then why are the players not showing improvements/sign of developement? I would also have liked for TFM to play in the red shirt this season, but at least he will get more gametime this season and get more experience. And also play in a club/environment that improve players(most likely).
So you think our management, coaching department and players aren't better then Fulham's?

devilish

I'm not Valencias biggest fan but TFM needs to prove he can play regularly, and well, at RB at a high level before he takes AVs place. Sending him on loan to a PL club where he'll play regularly will be far more beneficial than the odd game here.
I am neither and at 33 he seem to have entered the '1 year contract for service rendered' year we insist on giving to anyone with legs still attached to their body (Gaz, Keane, Carrick, Fletcher, Giggs etc). Now we could either keep Darmian, whose basically a dead weight and by doing so we'll lose him next summer for free or else we could have sold Darmian and insist on giving gaming time to Dalot and TFM. I'd rather see us do the latter and give game time to those with the hunger to actually succeed with us.

Is TFM ready? probably not. However why the concern? Its not as if we're going to win anything this season. If we end up with our fb positions sorted then its a win for us.

Last edited:

devilish

Its a sob story but if we count this year he will be given a staggering 4 years to prove he still got it. As said, we're not a nursing home or a hospital. People have to carry their weight and there's plenty of weight on that regard

Kostov

Good is a relative term. Better than he has been at times? Yes. Good compared to someone like Evra? No. Good enough to be play for us long term? Not yet.
Nobody would have complained if it was Evra or someone of his level. Instead we have Ashley Young, let’s not kid ourselves, I can’t fault his heart but he is not good enough, and never will be.

Kostov

Its a sob story but if we count this year he will be given a staggering 4 years to prove he still got it. As said, we're not a nursing home or a hospital. People have to carry their weight and there's plenty of weight on that regard
Let’s hope he gets a fair chance by Mourinho, something I don’t thing he got till now.

devilish

Let’s hope he gets a fair chance by Mourinho, something I don’t thing he got till now.
well, I disagree. Mou has the diplomacy of Boris Johnson after a binge drink but he certainly want Shaw to succeed. He hardly has a choice considering that there's no real alternative to him. The LB spot is for the taking. Shaw will be competing with a 33 year old winger, someone with as much talent as I do + he wants out and a young RB with half of his experience.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Happy he's done well. If he continues in this vein I'd love to see him playing a role here next season, Christ knows we need some pace and power on our flanks.

ivaldo

I am neither and at 33 he seem to have entered the '1 year contract for service rendered' year we insist on giving to anyone with legs still attached to their body (Gaz, Keane, Carrick, Fletcher, Giggs etc). Now we could either keep Darmian, whose basically a dead weight and by doing so we'll lose him next summer for free or else we could have sold Darmian and insist on giving gaming time to Dalot and TFM. I'd rather see us do the latter and give game time to those with the hunger to actually succeed with us.

Is TFM ready? probably not. However why the concern? Its not as if we're going to win anything this season. If we end up with our fb positions sorted then its a win for us.
Why on Earth would you say this team isn't going to win anything? We've got a great chance of bringing home some silverware this year. But, lets just say we are as bad as you think we are, then surely we need to do all we can to secure a top 4 finish?

Darmian isnt going to get much game time, and so by extension TFM wouldn't get game time if he had Darmians place either. It's far more beneficial for TFM and for us long term if he got regular game time. It's looks as though he'll get that at Fulham.

devilish

Why on Earth would you say this team isn't going to win anything? We've got a great chance of bringing home some silverware this year. But, lets just say we are as bad as you think we are, then surely we need to do all we can to secure a top 4 finish?

Darmian isnt going to get much game time, and so by extension TFM wouldn't get game time if he had Darmians place either. It's far more beneficial for TFM and for us long term if he got regular game time. It's looks as though he'll get that at Fulham.
I am referring to the important stuff ie EPL and CL. The rest isn't really important in my books.

And I believe Darmian will get more game time then we think. Valencia is shot, Dalot is still injured and he will probably won't settle down without a preseason under his belt, Young is not very good and like Valencia he's 33 years of age and Shaw, well, we all know, how it usually ends with Shaw don't we?

Fosu-Mens

So you think our management, coaching department and players aren't better then Fulham's?
Our players are definitively better, eventhough i would have liked to switch some of their players for ours.
Management and coaching is not easy to quantify, meaning difficult to compare And depends on what factors one want to evaluate them in.
If we compare them on an ROI principle were the investment is the players available(I) and the performance/results are the R, our management and coaches are underperforming.
For developing/improving players (most relevant for TFM) i have not seen any sign that our coaching/managing department has shown any results/developement of players bar Lingaard.

Regarding Fulhams coaches and management they have developed/improved players(at least they perform better) and they got promoted last season.

West London White

Supports
Fulham
He was good yesterday, offered something going forward and defended reasonably well. For us, the loss of Fredericks was a big one but I'm quietly confident that TFM can help us overcome it.

ivaldo

I am referring to the important stuff ie EPL and CL. The rest isn't really important in my books.

And I believe Darmian will get more game time then we think. Valencia is shot, Dalot is still injured and he will probably won't settle down without a preseason under his belt, Young is not very good and like Valencia he's 33 years of age and Shaw, well, we all know, how it usually ends with Shaw don't we?
I can’t see how anyone can write off the FA Cup. An incredible cup competition and one we should be honoured to lift again.

That’s a hell of a lot of variables that need to fall into place for Darmian to play enough games for TFMs loan to be a mistake.

devilish

I can’t see how anyone can write off the FA Cup. An incredible cup competition and one we should be honoured to lift again.

That’s a hell of a lot of variables

That’s a hell of a lot of variables that need to fall into place for Darmian to play enough games for TFMs loan to be a mistake.
I struggle to think of a top club whp give a feck about their respective league cups. LVG won it with us and still got sacked

Valencia is 33, he is in decline and injuries seem to have caught up with him and Dalot is a rookie who has skipped preseason because of injury. Ill be very surprised if Darmian doesn't play regularly