France national team | Martial ruled out due to injury, Lemar replaces him

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Was surprised to see N'Zonzi ahead of Rabiot in the squad.

Is it a case of me perhaps over-rating Rabiot or under-rating N'Zonzi.
Neither, I'm pretty sure that Nzonzi has been selected because he won't complain if he is on the bench and he won't complain if he is asked to play infront of the defense while Rabiot will pout.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Neither, I'm pretty sure that Nzonzi has been selected because he won't complain if he is on the bench and he won't complain if he is asked to play infront of the defense while Rabiot will pout.
So Rabiot is a spoilt mummy's boy? He has talent, but my god he needs to learn a bit of humility.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
And because N'Zonzi has no problem being a cover for the DM position, which is something Rabiot he's too good to be.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
Based on what? There's a good blend of youth and experience in that French team. The French defense has maligned players like Sakho and Debuchy and even though they have a lot of national team experience i'd give England the edge at the back. Zouma is a better CB than both Stones and Maguire though. As far as midfield and attack goes its not even a question. That French midfield has proven talent who would all walk into the England starting 11. Martial and Rabiot have world class potential and Payet was only omitted due to injury from the Europa league final. Sissoko was unlucky to miss out as well. Lacazzette and Benzema would also be starting for England any day.
Zouma better than Stones and Maguire? In what world? The guy was below average in a terrible Stoke team.

Javi

From the big teams I only see Germany and Spain with a better back four than France (optimistic perspective on Mendy's return from injury). On the same level imo Brazil (no decent right back) and Belgium. The rest is easily weaker. While the defence is still the weakest part of the squad I can't really follow the logic that the back four is going to cost them. Belgium, Brazil (Ederson), Germany and Spain have better keepers, but that's about it.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
From the big teams I only see Germany and Spain with a better back four than France (optimistic perspective on Mendy's return from injury). On the same level imo Brazil (no decent right back) and Belgium. The rest is easily weaker. While the defence is still the weakest part of the squad I can't really follow the logic that the back four is going to cost them. Belgium, Brazil (Ederson), Germany and Spain have better keepers too.
Brazil has at the very least, a back 4 on the same level and this despite Alves' injury.
France rarely keeps clean sheets

Javi

Brazil has at the very least, a back 4 on the same level and this despite Alves' injury.
France rarely keeps clean sheets
Yeah, that's why I wrote Brazil's on the same level.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The Varane Umtiti looks good on paper but didn't so much in practice, but I'm confident a proper preparation before the WC will be enough to iron out the kinks.

Murray3007

Based on what? There's a good blend of youth and experience in that French team. The French defense has maligned players like Sakho and Debuchy and even though they have a lot of national team experience i'd give England the edge at the back. Zouma is a better CB than both Stones and Maguire though. As far as midfield and attack goes its not even a question. That French midfield has proven talent who would all walk into the England starting 11. Martial and Rabiot have world class potential and Payet was only omitted due to injury from the Europa league final. Sissoko was unlucky to miss out as well. Lacazzette and Benzema would also be starting for England any day.
Zouma aint better then any they 2, France midfield is miles ahead of England, Sissoko is not unlucky, he been terrible for the past 2 seasons at spurs.

Lacazzette and Benzema wouldnt get near the England starting 11 either, Kane and Vardy are better then these 2, still cant get the hype around Benzema his goalscoring record is terrible at Madrid

El Pasillo

Lacazzette and Benzema wouldnt get near the England starting 11 either, Kane and Vardy are better then these 2, still cant get the hype around Benzema his goalscoring record is terrible at Madrid
Agree about Lacazette, but Benzema would definitely walk into England starting 11 to play as a SS behind Kane/Vardy in their 4-2-3-1 system.

Benzema is more of a playmaker nowdays who facilitate RM's attacking play and generates more assists + pre-assists per 90 by far compared to his teammates.

Goals aren't everything, especially when it comes to playmakers/creators (like Benzema) who doesn't get into the box often.

ZAGREB RED

I just wonder if that is the end of Adrien Rabiot's French national team career at 23. Bit immature to say the least.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I just wonder if that is the end of Adrien Rabiot's French national team career at 23. Bit immature to say the least.
Under Deschamps, no doubt about it. But with a new coach and an apology he will be back for the next one.

Murray3007

Agree about Lacazette, but Benzema would definitely walk into England starting 11 to play as a SS behind Kane/Vardy in their 4-2-3-1 system.

Benzema is more of a playmaker nowdays who facilitate RM's attacking play and generates more assists + pre-assists per 90 by far compared to his teammates.

Goals aren't everything, especially when it comes to playmakers/creators (like Benzema) who doesn't get into the box often.
England will be playing 3-5-2 3-4-3 formations and Benzema plays as a ST for Madrid and simply dont score enough goals, and still wouldnt get near a England starting 11, infact around 90% of ppl i no still cant actually beleive he gets a game for Madrid.

El Pasillo

England will be playing 3-5-2 3-4-3 formations and Benzema plays as a ST for Madrid and simply dont score enough goals, and still wouldnt get near a England starting 11, infact around 90% of ppl i no still cant actually beleive he gets a game for Madrid.
Southgate usually prefers someone who's playing in the hole behind the either Vardy/Kane. And no, Benzema doesn't play as an out-and-out striker for Real Madrid but more of a SS/F9 or even as a CAM. Would be definitely be a starter ahead of Lingard, Dele Alli or whoever plays in the hole for England. Yes, he may not score many goals (although Benzema rarely stays into the box to get into goalscoring positions). But like I said before, goals aren't everything or else many other great players would be crap if they're judged by goals alone.

Benzema is heavy contributor in other aspects of game and at the end of the day, Real Madrid have been incredibly successful for the past seasons where Benzema has been a key player in their success.

Those 90% of people you're talking about must be football-illiterate if they don't understand Benzema's importance for RM despite being a starter for years by Mourinho, Ancelotti, Benitez and now Zidane.

Murray3007

Southgate usually prefers someone who's playing in the hole behind the either Vardy/Kane. And no, Benzema doesn't play as an out-and-out striker for Real Madrid but more of a SS/F9 or even as a CAM. Would be definitely be a starter ahead of Lingard, Dele Alli or whoever plays in the hole for England. Yes, he may not score many goals (although Benzema rarely stays into the box to get into goalscoring positions). But like I said before, goals aren't everything or else many other great players would be crap if they're judged by goals alone.

Benzema is heavy contributor in other aspects of game and at the end of the day, Real Madrid have been incredibly successful for the past seasons where Benzema has been a key player in their success.

Those 90% of people you're talking about must be football-illiterate if they don't understand Benzema's importance for RM despite being a starter for years by Mourinho, Ancelotti, Benitez and now Zidane.
well Vardy and Kane dont usually start together so its a weird thing to say to start with, also when Dele played in the hole for Spurs he scored plenty goals, dropped a bit deaper this season hence why the goals have dried up, if you are a ST you are judged on goals simple as that. he does a similar job to Suarez yet Suarez has scored a shit load of goals since he joined Barca.

and ultimately GOALS WIN GAMES, if Ronaldo had been out the Madrid side for any period they would not have been success as they have been in the CL,

Benzema has 11 assists this season. so he's hardly a top creator of goals our very own Lukaku has 7 assists in a team that play ultra defensive compared to Madrid to put that in to a bit more perspective.

JPRouve

Scout
well Vardy and Kane dont usually start together so its a weird thing to say to start with, also when Dele played in the hole for Spurs he scored plenty goals, dropped a bit deaper this season hence why the goals have dried up, if you are a ST you are judged on goals simple as that. he does a similar job to Suarez yet Suarez has scored a shit load of goals since he joined Barca.

and ultimately GOALS WIN GAMES, if Ronaldo had been out the Madrid side for any period they would not have been success as they have been in the CL,

Benzema has 11 assists this season. so he's hardly a top creator of goals our very own Lukaku has 7 assists in a team that play ultra defensive compared to Madrid to put that in to a bit more perspective.
Do you watch Benzema often?

JPRouve

Scout
Not every week but seen him prob about 10 times this season
You didn't put any perspective thenbecause both players have totally different roles and the poster you are discussing with is right to mention that Benzema is more of second striker for Real. In the league Benzema has 0.4 assists per game while Lukaku has 0.2, benzema has 1.8 key passes per game while Lukaku has 1, passes per game 36.2 for Benzema and 23.2 for Lukaku and something telling 2 shots per game for Benzema and 3.3 for Lukaku.

The reason Benzema starts for Real Madrid and has never really been disputed is because he is integral to Real Madrid attacking game, he is very creative in the same way that Iniesta is even more creative but has less assists then Benzema or Lukaku. Benzema is criticized for his lack of goals and that's fair because he isn't greedy enough, he will always try to make one more pass or make a run that will open space in order to put a teammate in a position to make a better assist or score a goal.

Murray3007

You didn't put any perspective thenbecause both players have totally different roles and the poster you are discussing with is right to mention that Benzema is more of second striker for Real. In the league Benzema has 0.4 assists per game while Lukaku has 0.2, benzema has 1.8 key passes per game while Lukaku has 1, passes per game 36.2 for Benzema and 23.2 for Lukaku and something telling 2 shots per game for Benzema and 3.3 for Lukaku.

The reason Benzema starts for Real Madrid and has never really been disputed is because he is integral to Real Madrid attacking game, he is very creative in the same way that Iniesta is even more creative but has less assists then Benzema or Lukaku. Benzema is criticized for his lack of goals and that's fair because he isn't greedy enough, he will always try to make one more pass or make a run that will open space in order to put a teammate in a position to make a better assist or score a goal.

:boring::boring::boring: what an absoulute crap, if Madrid had signed Lewondowski, Kane, Suarez, Griezmann and the list could prob go on, they would do the exact same as what Benzema does and would score alot more goals as well.

JPRouve

Scout
:boring::boring::boring: what an absoulute crap, if Madrid had signed Lewondowski, Kane, Suarez, Griezmann and the list could prob go on, they would do the exact same as what Benzema does and would score alot more goals as well.
Okay, so your response is first insulting and then an hypothetical that has nothing to do with whether Benzema is creative or not.

Murray3007

Okay, so your response is first insulting and then an hypothetical that has nothing to do with whether Benzema is creative or not.
you asked if i watched Benzema which i replied yes you then pointed out some pointless figures as 2 why Benzema was a great creative player? compared to lukaku which didnt really help the cause of your argument. i then stated that other players would do a better job ie be more creative for the team and score more goals. lets put it this way there is no top team in Europe who Benzema would improve bar maybe Chelsea and thats mainly because Morata is shit scared of physical contact of the premiership. and no he would not get anywhere near England's starting 11.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
http://parisunited.net/2018/05/24/rabiot-vive-les-vacances/

In March 2018 Deschamps let Rabiot know that he should go easy to not injure himself in the following weeks because he was gonna be called up for the WC.

Rabiot feels betrayed by Deschamps' choice to not take him to the WC after implying otherwise and refuses to apologize or to go back on his decision to not be a part of the backup players.

He wants PSG to support him publicly and despite having a meeting with Thomas Tuchel planned for this week he cancelled it to go on vacation letting the club know he'd only be available in July.
Yeesh. He really doesn't give a feck does he?

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Listen, either Madrid, with all of its resources to get any player, and all the coaches that have been at the club, who have played Benzema for 9 years are clueless, or you are.

MrEleson

Listen, either Madrid, with all of its resources to get any player, and all the coaches that have been at the club, who have played Benzema for 9 years are clueless, or you are.
I’ve watched Benzema pretty much every week since he’s been at Madrid. He was decent in his first few seasons (superb in 11/12) with his goal scoring peak happening during the 15/16 season before getting injured. However, he does absolutely nothing for 90% of the game these days. Even his famed playmaking skills and link up is greatly overstated and if anything he’s liability on the ball as most times he concedes possession with his lack of sharpness.

The main reason he’s still at Madrid and starting is because of Ronaldo. Ronaldo loves playing with Benzema for whatever reason and won’t have anyone else by his side. Also, he’s like Perez’s adopted son with zidane being the godfather.

JPRouve

Scout
In today's edition of the Adrien Rabiot saga, Rabiot has penned an open letter.

:lol: What a muppet, he thinks that he has a right to be selected because he worked a lot.

JPRouve

Scout
Need English summary of his open letter if you have time :angel:
He says that he suspected that his decision would create some noise but he deplores the caricature of an immature young player not able to understand his actions. Footballer is his job and his passion, he worked hard to reach his current level and like all players he dreams about playing for his country. Wearing the blue shirt is an honor and winning with France a mission. He has played for France at every level since he was 15 years old and he has the "culture France", so he doesn't allow anyone to question his relationship with the national team. Since the day of his first selection, he has played for PSG and won many titles and scored 9 goals with his club.
He refuses to be a reservist because he believes that the national manager didn't base his decision on football because the message is clear that the performance in club are what should count to play for France.
He is a moodless competitor but also a man and wants to be treated accordingly. His decision has nothing to do with the player selected. And he assumes his decision and its consequences.

Aurell

Supports
Football
I really start liking Adrien

Besides I do also think that DD's choices have nothing to do with some sporting logic

A lot of players deserved a REAL chance during those past 2 years and he showed them no respect and interest
What he finally did to Digne and Lacazette is baffling.

He can't create a group around him because he can't/ don't want to content, accommodate everyone, make them feel that each one of then is important for the team. Some (too many) players have a rank which isn't fully deserved and never questioned. For example: was Ruffier 3st place deserved as compared to Mandanda ?

And when he feels contested, he just blacklist the player.

I'm not a huge fan of Zidane but beyond the tactical things, the way he manages RM is so much better. There are 23 players but half of them are just some french Llorente/Theo Hernandez

JPRouve

Scout
I really start liking Adrien

Besides I do also think that DD's choices have nothing to do with some sporting logic

A lot of players deserved a REAL chance during those past 2 years and he showed them no respect and interest
What he finally did to Digne and Lacazette is baffling.

He can't create a group around him because he can't/ don't want to content, accommodate everyone, make them feel that each one of then is important for the team. Some (too many) players have a rank which isn't fully deserved and never questioned. For example: was Ruffier 3st place deserved as compared to Mandanda ?

And when he feels contested, he just blacklist the player.

I'm not a huge fan of Zidane but beyond the tactical things, the way he manages RM is so much better. There are 23 players but half of them are just some french Llorente/Theo Hernandez
Ruffier isn't selected because he didn't accept to be number 2 and he had an argument on that subject with Deschamps. Personally I think that Ruffier is better than Lloris but you can't act like billy big bollocks and don't accept the consequences.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
This is the Rabiot I know. :lol::lol:

Aurell

Supports
Football
Ruffier isn't selected because he didn't accept to be number 2 and he had an argument on that subject with Deschamps. Personally I think that Ruffier is better than Lloris but you can't act like billy big bollocks and don't accept the consequences.
Well, I heard that he had a respectful meeting with DD after the Euros and he told him that this place was not for him so he prefered not to be called. And he was 3rd at that time. Mandanda was the n2.

Anyway, I don't see where he acted like
"Billy big bollocks". And since that meeting, I didn't hear him asking for anything. So he kind of accepts the consequences.

I'm pretty sure he did not close the door. If DD take him to be n1 or n2, he will come back with pleasure. But that will never happen with the 2 indisputable keepers, not even indisputable in their club: Mandanda and Lloris.

And Rabiot had suffered this same lack of competition in the NT. He is saying he will accept the consequences and he is known for being someone pretty stubborn. So perhaps he's the new Ribery

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
Well, I heard that he had a respectful meeting with DD after the Euros and he told him that this place was not for him so he prefered not to be called. And he was 3rd at that time. Mandanda was the n2.

Anyway, I don't see where he acted like
"Billy big bollocks". And since that meeting, I didn't hear him asking for anything. So he kind of accepts the consequences.

I'm pretty sure he did not close the door. If DD take him to be n1 or n2, he will come back with pleasure. But that will never happened with the 2 indisputable keepers, not even indisputable in their club: Mandanda and Lloris.

And Rabiot had suffered this same lack of competition in the NT. He is saying he will accept the consequences and he is known for being someone pretty stubborn. So perhaps he's the new Ribery
Rabiot has suffered from nothing, the six midfielders are good players playing for good teams, at a good level. Nzonzi is a better DM than Rabiot and Matuidi brings the intensity that Rabiot failed to provide for France. If anything you should say that he lost because there is a competition and his ridiculously bad performances in the last games.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
We knew even before this episode that Rabiot can be a moody cnut if he's not selected. DD made it abundantly clear that some of the players he's called up will hardly play at all, and so he chose players who wouldn't become a detriment to the team. Rabiot, with his little sideshow dramatic refusal pretty much confirmed he would have been a pain in the ass to deal with being a part of the group.

He can write all the open-letters he wants, he's a cnut and he doesn't deserve a spot on that world cup roster. The balls on some of these kids, you haven't done a damn thing at club or international level and you're refusing a spot as a reserve for a world cup? Feck outta here.

Loublaze

ATLien
Zouma aint better then any they 2, France midfield is miles ahead of England, Sissoko is not unlucky, he been terrible for the past 2 seasons at spurs.

Benzema has had a terrible season but he comes with an abundance of tournament experience which none of England's attackers can match.

Zouma better than Stones and Maguire? In what world? The guy was below average in a terrible Stoke team.
Stoke were terrible last season but Zouma still bested those other two in total defense score, total duels won, interceptions and blocks per 90 mins played according to Squawka's player comparison matrix.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
https://www.psg.fr/nouvelles/équipe-première/déclaration-du-club

PSG statement
Paris Saint-Germain has taken note of Adrien Rabiot's comments today on his decision to withdraw from the list of French substitutes for the next World Cup in Russia.

Beyond the debate that has emerged in the public sphere, the Club wishes to emphasize the special connection it has with a player who arrived at the training center in 2010 and who then climbed with talent and character all levels to become a major part of our professional workforce.

Highly competitive under our colors, which he has already honored 207 times at just 23 years old, Adrien represents one of the brightest flag-bearers in our Club's training system.

Paris Saint-Germain does not wish to interfere in a case that concerns above all a player and the selection to which it is attached.

The Club recalls its deep attachment to the national teams and the values they embody and wishes the best to its French internationals convened for the World Cup.