g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

France v Brazil friendly

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
With Sagna and Sakho (Evra :nervous:) in defense they're asking for defeat.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
The problem is that the standard he's being compared to on a weekly basis is Messi, and he's never going to match that.
On international level at least he is going to overtake both him and Ronaldo rather quickly though.

Count Orduck

The problem is that the standard he's being compared to on a weekly basis is Messi, and he's never going to match that.
He's going to overtake Messi at international level fairly soon though at this rate. Messi's had some amazing games with Argentina, but never super-consistently. Neymar is doing it consistently with Brazil.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
On international level at least he is going to overtake both him and Ronaldo rather quickly though.
True, but unless those goals win a World Cup, no one will care. It's an impressive record, but international goals are rather pointless.

Messi and Ronaldo average better than a goal a game at club level. To me, that's more impressive.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
He's going to overtake Messi at international level fairly soon though at this rate. Messi's had some amazing games with Argentina, but never super-consistently. Neymar is doing it consistently with Brazil.
Needs to win the WC though. Otherwise, no one will remember.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
"Needs to win the WC though. Otherwise, no one will remember."

This is always a daft argument. George Best never even played at a world cup but everyone remembers him. Same deal with Ryan Giggs...

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

This is always a daft argument. George Best never even played at a world cup but everyone remembers him. Same deal with Ryan Giggs...
And Eusebio and Di Stefano. Silly argument, especially because the WC doesn't hold the same weight as it used to.

Ibi Dreams

I thought he meant "otherwise nobody will remember he had a good record internationally". Which is kind of true, I mean people will remember but it won't be viewed as anything important unless it goes hand in hand with winning or coming close to winning tournaments. Nobody will care if Neymar can score 100 goals in friendlies and qualifiers

Devil may care

France started pretty well but struggled once Brazil got going, Neymar was very good but the Willian/Oscar/Firmino trio didn't show me anything that suggests they should start ahead of Coutinho and Lucas Moura when he's fit.

I thought Deschamps should have gotten Fekir on a bit sooner and I was disappointed with their midfield, Kondogbia at least looked to have the measure of Brazil when he came on.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
France started pretty well but struggled once Brazil got going, Neymar was very good but the Willian/Oscar/Firmino trio didn't show me anything that suggests they should start ahead of Coutinho and Lucas Moura when he's fit.

I thought Deschamps should have gotten Fekir on a bit sooner and I was disappointed with their midfield, Kondogbia at least looked to have the measure of Brazil when he came on.
They showed a lot of patience and ball mantainance, Lucas and Coutinho are too direct.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff

And Eusebio and Di Stefano. Silly argument, especially because the WC doesn't hold the same weight as it used to.
Does that mean no one will remember Messi?

Except you've taken my comment out of context. In order to be comparable to Messi, Neymar's international record is not sufficient as Messi's club record blows his out of the water, and even at 23 Messi was producing the sort of goalscoring numbers for Barca that Neymar isn't. So, the only way Neymar can compensate would be to win a WC with Brazil where Messi failed with Argentina.

I'm comparing two players and where one excels over the other (Messi at club level, Neymar at international level). Read the chain of comments before making daft responses.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
He's not right now. But he has the potential to.
I don't see it. I think Neymar will be the world's best player at some point, but by virtue of Ronaldo and Messi declining. I've yet to see Neymar produce anything like the sort of stuff Messi was producing at 23, and this is obviously a generalisation, but Brazilians aren't known for their longevity, they usually fade away in their late twenties rather than early thirties.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Except you've taken my comment out of context. In order to be comparable to Messi, Neymar's international record is not sufficient as Messi's club record blows his out of the water, and even at 23 Messi was producing the sort of goalscoring numbers for Barca that Neymar isn't. So, the only way Neymar can compensate would be to win a WC with Brazil where Messi failed with Argentina.

I'm comparing two players and where one excels over the other (Messi at club level, Neymar at international level). Read the chain of comments before making daft responses.
Sorry, checked the thread and you are just using overly dramatic crap to make some sort of silly point. this sort of shite shows how utterly daft some crap people post really is.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
Sorry, checked the thread and you are just using overly dramatic crap to make some sort of silly point. this sort of shite shows how utterly daft some crap people post really is.
All points, except yours, are silly. Very eloquently put. But let's not derail the thread.

Snow

I think being Brazil's stars for years, have an international record that rivals Messi, being the most expensive transfer in the world and being pretty darn good at club level is enough to not be forgotten. The guy is only 23. Compare him to Messi at 23 and they are statistically similar.

Why make judgement on any player by comparing him to Messi? That's dooming him to failure.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
I think being Brazil's stars for years, have an international record that rivals Messi, being the most expensive transfer in the world and being pretty darn good at club level is enough to not be forgotten. The guy is only 23. Compare him to Messi at 23 and they are statistically similar.

Why make judgement on any player by comparing him to Messi? That's dooming him to failure.
I started out by explaining in repsonse to
Some posters will still go out of their way to discredit everything he does though
That the reason for him being discredited is because
One or two posters having not read the thread, but picked up one comment out of place have taken my "needs to win the WC" statement as me saying that Neymar is shite or something.

Snow

I started out by explaining in repsonse to

That the reason for him being discredited is because

One or two posters having not read the thread, but picked up one comment out of place have taken my "needs to win the WC" statement as me saying that Neymar is shite or something.
Is that the problem though? Are people comparing Neymar with Messi?

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
Is that the problem though? Are people comparing Neymar with Messi?
To me it seems that way. They play together on a regular basis, and Neymar contributes a lot (in terms of goals/assists, but also general play) but Messi being Messi generally just outperforms him. It's a ridiculous standard to be held to, but I think a lot of people do expect him to reach that same level. I know I did when he first signed for Barca. Like I've said elsewhere, Neymar is arguably the third orfourth best player in the world, and is probably best positioned to be the next "great" player in world football. But what Messi has achieved is incomparable to any player I've ever seen (Ronaldo matches him in terms of output, but I think Messi is the superior player overall).

Blackwidow

True, but unless those goals win a World Cup, no one will care. It's an impressive record, but international goals are rather pointless.

Messi and Ronaldo average better than a goal a game at club level. To me, that's more impressive.
The problem with his international stats is that Brazil very seldom played anything but friendlies in the recent seasons.