Franco Baresi's perfect 11

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
He forgot to put himself in.

The best defender of the last 30 years. Perhaps ever.

buckooo1978

Swap Roberto Carlos for Baresi and stick Maldini left back and that would be a team and a half

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I'm guessing its from retired players only therefore no Messi? Have to say a midfield of Rijkaard, Zidane, Figo and Giggs would get raped in midfield by the current Barcelona side alone.

Edit: Definitely needs a Matthuis or Beckenbaur in there somewhere.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I'm guessing its from retired players only therefore no Messi? Have to say a midfield of Rijkaard, Zidane, Figo and Giggs would get raped in midfield by the current Barcelona side alone.

But Giggs..?

Ash_G

I dunno, a midfield 3 of Rijkaard Giggs and Zidane could have been excellent. Zidane was better than Iniesta, Rijkaard was better than Busquets, I would only swap giggs for xavi there. Well actually I'd swap in Scholes for Giggs but either way it's a great midfield.

Romaleouf

Figo might get nutmegged, but Rijkaard would piss or spit on whoever is in the Barcelona midfield, that is for sure...

and Giggs would do fine down the left flank, bet he could skin anyone during his prime.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Well. You always prefer to choose players that you played with or saw play a lot. Picking players based on reputation is the same as fanboyism. I'd never pick Pele or Beckenbauer. Didn't see them enough.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Fair enough if I have to choose the best left winger in the past 20 years, Giggs would be the first name in my mind.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

There is only one place Messi could take, and that's Maradona's given Baresi put up a 4-4-2 or a 4-4-1-1. Messi is not better than Maradona.

About that midfield getting raped... I would hope you're joking, but I sense you are not.

Regarding that team; I think it's the best xi I've seen an ex-pro put together given it actually has balance with top players in their best positions barring Zidane and Maldini, but even then, it looks like a proper, functional xi who would cause the opposition no end of problems and do a good job on the other side of the ball.

The defensive end is the area most of these ex-pro xi's usually make a mess of in their fantasy xi's. Baresi was a defender, so I'm guessing he built from the back where I reckon as it's usually midfielders and forwards asked to do these kind of things, that they start from their position or thereabouts and fit in all the best players they can, logistics be damned.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I'd swap Schmeichel in for Buffon. with respect to the Italian, as good as he was/is, Schmikes was simply the best ever

buckooo1978

I'd swap Schmeichel in for Buffon. with respect to the Italian, as good as he was/is, Schmikes was simply the best ever
Spot on - the team has an over Italian flavour to it predictably and schmeichal is he best I've ever seen

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
The idea that Carlos' defending was suspect is way off, in his Prime the guy was a beast of a defender too.
He wasn't. He was better than he gets credit for as he generally got the job done defensively, which was admirable considering his forays but 'a beast of a defender' he certainly wasn't. There were many around far more solid. Cafu is more noteworthy in this regard.

Carlos in his prime was still stupid enough to attempt this in a world cup quarter final:

And there were dribblers who simply had his number and raped him at will. A young Messi being the most memorable, but he wasn't the only one. He plain didn't like wingers who turned in-field on his right foot.

I'm always right

Roberto Carlos was far from a natural defender. Anyone familiar with his spell with Inter will tell you that.
Harsh, remember Evra's first 1/2 season in England?

Extremely harsh to use Carlos at Inter as an example, he'd just moved from a league where they aren't expected to defend at all, Inter was his first season in Europe.

Of course he was no Maldini when it came to defending, but who is? He was a bloody good defender though, and a sensational footballer.

Decotron

Harsh, remember Evra's first 1/2 season in England?

Extremely harsh to use Carlos at Inter as an example, he'd just moved from a league where they aren't expected to defend at all, Inter was his first season in Europe.

Of course he was no Maldini when it came to defending, but who is? He was a bloody good defender though, and a sensational footballer.
Possible harsh but the fact remains neither R Carlos or Evra for that matter are or ever will be natural defenders. Irwin was superior to both in that regard.

I'm always right

Possible harsh but the fact remains neither R Carlos or Evra for that matter are or ever will be natural defenders. Irwin was superior to both in that regard.
Obviously, but the fact is, both Evra and Carlos at their peaks, defended excellently more often than not.

Obviously Maldini was a better defender than Carlos, but Carlos offered so much more the other way. What Carlos gave in both directions trumps what Maldini did from LB, hence why Maldini would be in at CB, just as Baresi thinks.

davisjw

Carlos was a good defender because he was great offensively and pressured high in a time when defenders usually gave attackers more space. The whole "the best defense is a good offense".

But as a pure defender, he wouldn't be close to my starting LB. Maldini was far better and he still offered something in offense.

dar10nian

Fletchers biggest fan
Marco van basten and maradona upfront. Wow!:drool: cant help but notice baresi left out gullit. Great player, but marco and frank were arguably more crucial to that great Milan side.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I've told you guys Giggs is rated alot in Italy. Same as Scholes, in fact many critics questioned SAF's decision of buying JSV when we already had Scholes.